Video: Ezra Levant begs Canada’s Star Chamber to convict him

posted at 3:04 pm on January 15, 2008 by Allahpundit

For good reason, as you’ll see. He calls this his closing statement but it’s really anything but: If all goes well he’ll have a jury trial soon enough, further raising the media profile of this shameful Orwellian exercise and perhaps in the process shining a light on the human rights “nuance” of his persecutor.

I just searched the Fox News website, text and video, for any trace of “Levant” and came up empty. Can it really be that they haven’t covered this yet? I know for a fact that Fox & Friends producers read this site (occasionally). Is a five-minute segment with a psychic more important than this? Here’s your U.S. peg if you need one.

Comments

Cold wind from the North

RobCon on January 15, 2008 at 3:06 PM

What does the Sexologist say about the Alberta Human Rights Commission?

see-dubya on January 15, 2008 at 3:06 PM

What does the Sexologist say about the Alberta Human Rights Commission?

That if a man will just loosen up the AHRC with a single red rose, and a glass or two of champagne, all the procedural pleasures it possesses can be his for the taking.

Jack M. on January 15, 2008 at 3:10 PM

darn, screwed up my own quote. :)

Jack M. on January 15, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Cold wind from the North

Yes, there certainly is a chill wind is blowing in this nation today. It usually comes with the crushing of dissent.

ninjapirate on January 15, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Fox really needs to cover this. It’s unlikely that anyone else will do it.

Spirit of 1776 on January 15, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Fox’s record on the Mohammed cartoons is dismal. They’re unlikely to cover this except in the most cursory manner possible.

Bryan on January 15, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Bryan on January 15, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Right, good point. I hadn’t thought of that.

Allahpundit on January 15, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Is a five-minute segment with a psychic more important than this?

If that psychic was worth a damn, she’d sense that this story needs to be covered. Hack.

Buckley F. Williams on January 15, 2008 at 3:21 PM

I think I heard, just at the end, Mel Gibson in his blue face paint screaming “FREEDOM!”

Rational Thought on January 15, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Reminds me of the lone man in front of the Chinese tank.

infidel on January 15, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Is it just me or is her face actually redder at the end of the clip?

CurtZHP on January 15, 2008 at 3:24 PM

What’s the Mohammedan’s ownership stake in Fox News Corp? 10%? 20%? More?

BowHuntingTexas on January 15, 2008 at 3:25 PM

I’m not sure he has the right to a jury trial. I think you do have the right to appeal to a court. And the one case I read about, the court of appeal affirmed the finding of the commission. People in Canada really don’t champion free speech.

Blake on January 15, 2008 at 3:26 PM

A few years back, when BC got its first Human Rights Tribunal, it looked as though they went as diverse as possibly imaginable in choosing its chair: Nitya Iyer.

Woman? Check.
Immigrant? Check.
Leftist? Check.
Lawyer? Check.

Pretty sure she was a lesbian to boot, and she’d been on the UBC faculty in the Women’s Studies department prior to the Tribunal.

Frozen Tex on January 15, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Blake on January 15, 2008 at 3:26 PM

He’s hoping to get a jury trial by refusing to cooperate with whatever punishment this quasi-judicial body tries to hand down.

Frozen Tex on January 15, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Meh. Fox won’t cover it unless the blond go’s missing.

ronsfi on January 15, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Reminds me of the lone man in front of the Chinese tank.

Yeah. But that Chinese guy was doing something much braver. No offense to Ezra Levant intended, but jail time and fines are just not as scary as torture and murder.

sandberg on January 15, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Interesting that this is currently lined up right next to the Huck bit about Bible-fying the Constitution…..coincidence?

TBinSTL on January 15, 2008 at 3:41 PM

I question the timing of questioning Fox News on this. But if they do get back to you, have Banderas give me a call.

Metro on January 15, 2008 at 3:44 PM

I watched all those video on Ezra’s site, and I have to admit, I actually felt a little sorry for that woman. She probably just wants this whole thing to go away, so she can get back to her perceived business of mothering society so everyone gets along.

If Ezra Levant succeeds in his battle with this “human rights” commission, he will have done Canada a huge favor.

sandberg on January 15, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Fox will cover it if you can get Britney Spears, Princess Diana or Natalie Holloway into it somehow.

whitetop on January 15, 2008 at 3:53 PM

I almost feel sorry for that woman.

Esthier on January 15, 2008 at 3:54 PM

I almost feel sorry for that woman.

Don’t. That’s the point of the reference of ‘banality of evil’.

Spirit of 1776 on January 15, 2008 at 3:57 PM

This REALLY needs to get some real coverage. I sat through all of the clips on his site (it was worth it) and I have to say that it is refreshing to have someone not only stand up so strongly against this idea of political correctness (which is just a scam to get people to tow the line, in this case the line that radical Islamists want you to tow) and who both so eloquently and righteously defend our most basic, our most important (that’s why its first) amendment… Freedom of Speech.

@ntif@n on January 15, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Don’t. That’s the point of the reference of ‘banality of evil’.

Spirit of 1776 on January 15, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Exactly. She is quietly and calmly investigating a political thought crime. Dispassionatly and simply “Following Orders”.

ronsfi on January 15, 2008 at 4:01 PM

I never for one second felt sorry for the elitist bi***

Capitalist Infidel on January 15, 2008 at 4:03 PM

…….on day 2 she came in with a burka

subbottomfeeder on January 15, 2008 at 4:06 PM

I am with Levant all the way on this, and feel his closing remarks will send a powerful message to all of those who view them whether they agree with them or not. his ending about being able to have the saving graces of 800 years of these freedoms was spot on. The only unfortunate part about this and the progressive mindset, is that they hope they have progressed beyond those freedoms. They just hate to see da wittle muslims cwy foul. This type of anti-tolerance in the name of tolerance is just sickening.

BackseatDriver on January 15, 2008 at 4:28 PM

That was righteously awesome. I actually have no idea what Mr. Levant said — doesn’t matter. Some of the other videos he posted are great as well. And how Orwellian is it that this farce is called the “Human Rights Commission” ?! Freedom from offense or freedom from (private) discrimination are not human rights. Freedom of thought and of speech are.

Mark Jaquith on January 15, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Bryan on January 15, 2008 at 3:20 PM

I barely remember the boss being on Fox and she had to actually bring posterboard with her with the cartoons on them in order to show them. I was waiting for Fox to breakaway from her shot when she broke them out but they didnt.

broker1 on January 15, 2008 at 4:31 PM

So admirable.

tickleddragon on January 15, 2008 at 4:58 PM

The way it work for a trial in the real courts, is that the AHRC will find against Ezra (a given). He will refuse to abide by the finding (also a given). This will lead to the real courts getting involved.

Not sure at what level of court it will start, but I think that Ezra is pushing for it to wind up in the Supreme Court of Canada. That level of legal wrangling will be impossible for the media and politcians to ignore.

I hope!!

Jim708 on January 15, 2008 at 5:22 PM

It’s another example of what Kaus has been calling undernews.

Jim Treacher on January 15, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Muslim Who Filed Human Rights Complaint is Charged with Discriminating Against Women

Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:25:56 am PST

The story behind Syed B. Soharwardy, the Saudi-trained propagandist who filed a “human rights” complaint against Canadian publisher Ezra Levant for printing the Danish Mohammed cartoons, gets even more ridiculous today, as Levant reveals that Soharwardy himself is the subject of a human rights complaint—for discrimination against women.

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2008 at 5:39 PM

I almost feel sorry for that woman.

Esthier on January 15, 2008 at 3:54 PM

I’m sure you’re joking. God, I hope you’re joking. But what makes it so awkward to watch, and perhaps where the misplaced sympathy comes from, is that this awful little leftist bureaucrat has absolutely no response when faced with truth and reason. She is so illustrative of how hollow their religion of multiculturalism is. In earlier times, a government tyrant like that would have had the last word by simply putting a bullet in the guy’s head (or ordering it done). Now, they just have to sit there and listen, wishing they could put a bullet in his head. Please, give her no sympathy. Believe it when I say that if she could, she’d shut him up for good. She’s trying to shut him up through a quasi-legal means, but if such tactics continue to fail, her “team” will look for more effective measures. No, do not feel sorry for her.

Rational Thought on January 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Rational Thought on January 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Exactly. Perhaps this is a case of perception being reality, but it seems these Human Rights Commisions or Tribunals (pick your quasi-judicial official-sounding title) in any province cherry pick their cases. They only support a claimant if they figure have already decided they can grind the defendant into dust.

Frozen Tex on January 15, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Meh. Fox won’t cover it unless the blond go’s missing.

Fox News during the daytime, might as well be TV for bored housewives, just national enquirer set to video.

I guess that is one way to get Fox to comment on these. Tell them Ezra published cartoons of mohammed killing Natalie Holloway, then Greta will be all over it, she will again have found her reason for living!

firepilot on January 15, 2008 at 6:00 PM

I love it.

That man rocks!

TheSitRep on January 15, 2008 at 6:25 PM

She said almost.

Jim Treacher on January 15, 2008 at 6:36 PM

In Crrrredible! Remember, this whole thing started by a pushback by a Danish newspaper against dhimmifying self-censorship by Jellands-Posten calling for these cartoons and publishing them. The result, which came much later, was a coordinated series of savage riots, purportedly timed for political purposes of militant Mohammedan factions in the Middle East. The cartoons then became legitimate must-see news. Publishing them answered the critical question: What caused these Mohammedans to riot all over the world? Judging by what I’ve seen in newspaper and TV coverage, my vague guess is that 90% of North Americans have never seen these cartoons and so they have no opinion on the cause of the riots other than that the cartoons must have been really offensive. Repressing these cartoons serves no interest other than that of the Mohammedans who continue to work their world-wide propaganda campaign in pursuit of the new Caliphate.

Levant was one of the few who had the boldness to do his job, despite the certainty of threats to come, and publish these cartoons. In my view he is a hero of great stature.

flicker on January 15, 2008 at 7:26 PM

purportedly timed for political purposes

At the time Denmark was temporarily on the UN Security Council when sanctions on Iran were being voted on.

aengus on January 15, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Mark my words – they will not rule against him – they haven’t got the ba!!s. They’ve been taken to the woodshed and want this to go away as quickly and as quietly as possible. They dare not go to court and be exposed for what they are in the driveby media!

Positively 4th Street on January 15, 2008 at 7:58 PM

It was a twofer: The many countries were also considering not funding Hamas after the Palestinian election. Dov Bert Levy commented at the time, “But even more important is the message these demonstrations send: If we can mount protests of such ferocity over a few cartoons in a small newspaper, in a small nation with an obscure language, imagine what we Muslims are capable of doing if sanctions fall upon Iran or Hamas.”

flicker on January 15, 2008 at 8:23 PM

I don’t think so Postively 4th Street.

You have to understand the utter arrogance of the kind of folks who run our state sanctioned inquistions. All they see when they watch the videos, and all the investigator heard for 90 minutes was a “confessed” right winger. Anything he actually said was never heard since it is not required to actually listen to the non-enlightened knuckle draggers.

They have been told for years that they are, in everyway, morally and intellectually superior to anyone on the right, that there is no reason to actually listen to them.

Jim708 on January 15, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but is Fox News not, at least in part, owned by Arabs?

Dave R. on January 16, 2008 at 9:44 AM

By the time Mr. Levant was finished, that flaccid b1tch looked utterly dismayed.

Kralizec on January 17, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Dave R. on January 16, 2008 at 9:44 AM

During their lifetime.

Kralizec on January 17, 2008 at 2:39 PM

What’s the Mohammedan’s ownership stake in Fox News Corp? 10%? 20%? More?

BowHuntingTexas on January 15, 2008 at 3:25 PM

No more than is allowed.

Kralizec on January 17, 2008 at 3:10 PM

BRAVO! What a fine statement. What a fine trooper for all of us. Thank you, Ezra Levant!

petefrt on February 7, 2008 at 9:34 AM