Obama’s mentor and pastor honors Louis Farrakhan Update: Gala video added Update: Obama responds

posted at 11:20 am on January 15, 2008 by Bryan

I don’t agree with columnist Richard Cohen very often, but in this case he’s hard to argue with.

Barack Obama is a member of Chicago’s Trinity United Church of Christ. Its minister, and Obama’s spiritual adviser, is the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. In 1982, the church launched Trumpet Newsmagazine; Wright’s daughters serve as publisher and executive editor. Every year, the magazine makes awards in various categories. Last year, it gave the Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. Trumpeter Award to a man it said “truly epitomized greatness.” That man is Louis Farrakhan.

Maybe for Wright and some others, Farrakhan “epitomized greatness.” For most Americans, though, Farrakhan epitomizes racism, particularly in the form of anti-Semitism. Over the years, he has compiled an awesome record of offensive statements, even denigrating the Holocaust by falsely attributing it to Jewish cooperation with Hitler — “They helped him get the Third Reich on the road.” His history is a rancid stew of lies.

Cohen goes on to build the case against Farrakhan, though he leaves out the Nation of Islam’s leader’s exploits in foreign policy. Farrakhan met with Libyan strongman Muammar Ghaddafi during the US-Libya warm war of the 1980s. Farrakhan has also repeatedly denounced the US as evil and issued a divine death sentence on the country. Farrakhan has also lauded Barack Obama’s candidacy for president. Farrakhan is one of the country’s most bizarre, most repulsive, most openly racist, most offensive public figures. Yet Obama’s minister lauded Farrakhan with an award for epitomizing “greatness.” What’s doubly strange about the Farrakhan award is that Obama’s is a Christian church. Why would a Christian church magazine laud a racist radical Muslim? It’s impossible to get past concluding that it did so because, while it disagrees with Farrakhan on religious matters, it agrees with him on political and racial matters and those agreements trump the religious disagreement.

Cohen argues that Obama hasn’t shown any evidence that he agrees with Wright’s views on Farrakhan and that’s true, but Obama has credited Rev. Wright as his mentor. Obama has also said that he and Wright disagree on some matters. Obama owes it to the country to clearly spell out whether and why he disagrees with Rev. Wright on Farrakhan. Doing so or not doing so will tell us much about the man Barack Obama and whether he is really as post-racial a figure as he claims to be. If Obama really is the “new Bill Clinton,” this is his Sister Souljah moment.

Update: Via the Volokh Conspiracy, here’s the Trumpeteer Awards Gala video honoring Farrakhan.

“When Minister Louis Farrakhan speaks, America listens…For his commitment to truth, education and leadership, we honor Minister Louis Farrakhan with the Rev. Jeremiah W. Wright Jr. Lifetime Achievement Award.”

“Truth?” Like that story about being taken up into a spaceship? I have to say, if my church chose to honor such a figure, I would first lead a charge to fire the pastor and if that failed I would look for a new church.

Update: Andrew Sullivan misses the point here. He says:

No one – no one – could read Obama’s books or examine his career and believe he is anything but the polar opposite of Farrakhan. But that’s not enough for Cohen.

There are the things a man says and then there are the things a man does. Obama says and writes lots of uplifting things. But attending a church pastored by a man with views that Sullivan characterizes as “eccentric” says quite a lot about Obama too. Calling that pastor a mentor and titling one of his books after a Wright sermon as Obama has done says quite a lot as well. That that pastor honors the likes of Farrakhan says quite a lot as well, and silence about that honor will say even more. If the person at the center of this were anyone but one of Sullivan’s preferred candidates, he would see this issue for what it is: A legitimate test of Barack Obama the man, as opposed to Barack Obama the gifted orator.

Update: Via Ben Smith.

I decry racism and anti-Semitism in every form and strongly condemn the anti-Semitic statements made by Minister Farrakhan. I assume that Trumpet Magazine made its own decision to honor Farrakhan based on his efforts to rehabilitate ex-offenders, but it is not a decisions with which I agree.

Comments

Irrational race-based ideology likes irrational race-based ideology.

That shouldn’t surprise anyone. Everyone knows Obama’s more concerned with being black than being Christian.

emailnuevo on January 15, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Did you send a copy to Hillary? Nothing quenches the fire like a little more gasoline.

petefrt on January 15, 2008 at 11:26 AM

waiting….

/crickets

while we’re waiting, here’s the link to the homepage of the church:

check out the mission link

dish on January 15, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Ohh Farrakhan is an enormous… target for ridicule. Somebody will bring up the mothership in 3.. 2.. 1..

trubble on January 15, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Why would a Christian church magazine laud a racist radical Muslim?

Probably the same religion that won’t place a hand over the heart during the National Anthem and wear a flag lapel button, but would rather raise a fist in the air.

Kini on January 15, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Wow.

I was waiting for the Nation of Islam to get into the mix.

Didn’t think it would be this soon, however.

Timothy S. Carlson on January 15, 2008 at 11:34 AM

check out the mission link

dish on January 15, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Check out the Black Value System.

Do we really want a President that has pledged allegience to avoid “middleclassedness” because it is just whitey controlling the more talented blacks and “Black people no longer will be deprived of their birthright: the leadership, resourcefulness and example of their own talented persons.”

highhopes on January 15, 2008 at 11:35 AM

This would be a real problem for Obama in a general election… and maybe, if the media woke up, a problem in his primary. Imagine if Dubya’s pastor endorsed the KKK.

Vizzini on January 15, 2008 at 11:35 AM

When Louis Farrakhan speaks, I vomit.

mattyj86 on January 15, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Vizzini on January 15, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Pardon, the head of the KKK.

Vizzini on January 15, 2008 at 11:36 AM

dish on January 15, 2008 at 11:27 AM

The United States of Africa.

Kini on January 15, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Admirable of you to say so and I completely agree!

mattyj86 on January 15, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Oh, this just makes me want to vote for him more. In fact, I’m going to try to vote twice and since I don’t have a picture ID, it should be much easier!

/do I really need this tag?

Grantman on January 15, 2008 at 11:39 AM

They honored Farrakhan with what? A black Klan robe? A golden swastika?
You’re right Bryan. This needs to be pounded into Obama and make him answer for it so we know where he stands. It’ll kinda be like trying to get CAIR to answer for Hamas or Hezbollah.
Avoiding this will speak volumes and we will see if there is a wolf under that sheepskin.

Geronimo on January 15, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Paul vs Obama would be fun in a debate

offroadaz on January 15, 2008 at 11:41 AM

FINALLY the MSM brings up the Trinity issue!

Supposedly Obama joined the church when he was organizing the South Side of Chicago with Saul Alinsky. I’m sure it was a political rather than a religious impulse–an effective way to organize and radicalize the neighborhood, not to worship.

PattyJ on January 15, 2008 at 11:42 AM

“When Minister Louis Farrakhan speaks, America listens.”

…with adject horror.

Bigfoot on January 15, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Listen, I don’t want to take the stand of a “sneaky” political consultant but here it is.
This is why Obama is the perfect candidate for the Republicans. Can you imagine the angst of the Jewish community supporting this candidate? Look at the church site, it is a black supremist church, honoring the premier anti-semite in the nation. This is Obama’s spiritual leader, not someone he “sometimes has disagreement with”. Now what hispanic would vote for him?
His church, nevers mentions the United States, but does mention their “Commitment to Africa”.

right2bright on January 15, 2008 at 11:42 AM

This will obviously spawn a new decade of Black Exploitation Films.

One thing I don’t understand…., I thought Barry wasn’t Black enough? Radical enough?

Kini on January 15, 2008 at 11:45 AM

If Obama doesn’t handle it well, this could be his
Ron Paul Moment“(R)

Sounds like a win-lose lose-lose oh-crap situation.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall at Obama HQ right now…

Timothy S. Carlson on January 15, 2008 at 11:46 AM

petefrt on January 15, 2008 at 11:26 AM

LOL

This will slide off Barack Hussein like fried eggs off Teflon.
It’s within the cockeyed rules of Liberalism for Blacks and Muslims to be racists (if you are both, you have a double safety). They even have a pass on the “N” word. I hear it on Comedy Central with the Chapelle show, yet Blazing Saddles had every instance bleeped out. Hypocrites.

Hening on January 15, 2008 at 11:46 AM

highhopes on January 15, 2008 at 11:35 AM

I’d like to think this whole situation would be the “race card” Hillary plays. In this case, it is worth noting their “values”.

dish on January 15, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Republicans for Obama!

8straight on January 15, 2008 at 11:51 AM

PattyJ on January 15, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Actually Obama was organizing with an acolyte of Alinsky’s since Alinsky died in 1972. Otherwise I agree with your estimation of Obama’s motive in joining that “church.”

Any association with Farrakhan is troubling–especially for a prospective president. And, as someone above pointed out, Wright isn’t merely Obama’s pastor. But I’m wondering how the Clintons could use this without widening the breach between them and their own black faithful. Not that I care whether they’re able to or not; it’s just interesting to think about.

baldilocks on January 15, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Always remember folks, Muslims are CHARGED by their religion to LIE to infidels. I personally believe that Barak and his Church are shills for the Nation of Islam.

Conspiracy Theories, anyone?

(only half-joking, mind you.)

tickleddragon on January 15, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Here, here.

12thman on January 15, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Shhhhhhh. Let’s keep this quiet until after Barak gets the NOM…then, pound him with it.

tickleddragon on January 15, 2008 at 11:57 AM

gotta love the F-man.

he has his hand on the pulse around the throat of America.

madmonkphotog on January 15, 2008 at 12:09 PM

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that a church that is so racist should honor one of the greatest racist around. But I am. sigh

dish on January 15, 2008 at 12:12 PM

baldilocks on January 15, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Point taken. But, how does any opponent question him on this without looking like or being called racist?

a capella on January 15, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Still looking around their site (uck). There were other awards, like the “Sounds of the Struggle; Empower” award that went to, wait for it; Maxine Waters. There is a thanks given to their sponsors, maybe someone should contact them…

dish on January 15, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Ah, Chicago’s very own Minister Louis Farrakhan. Next to The Rev. Jesse Jackson, these two are very easily this loud town’s loudest loudmouths, that is, of course, unless Al Sharpton happens to be in town, which actually has been a lot lately.

pilamaye on January 15, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Bryan – Barack Obama also seems to be involved with a group called Project Islamic HOPE, whose leader is Imam W. Deen Mohammad. W. Deen Mohammad is the son of former Nation of Islam leader Elijah Mohammad.

So that is two links to the Nation of Islam for Barack Obama. If this were a Republican with links to the KKK, the Republican would surely (and rightly) be forced to answer questions about his association with the group. The same must be done of Senator Obama. I would actually respect him (though still never vote for him) if he came out and emphatically denounced the Nation of Islam. I won’t be holding my breath though.

Michael in MI on January 15, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Michael in MI on January 15, 2008 at 12:20 PM

actually, the only congressman with links to the KKK is a democrat. go figure.

dish on January 15, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Kenyan opposition leader Raila Odinga and Barak Obama are cousins.
In an interview with Reuters, Odinga said Barak called him twice one day last week to express his concern over the violent situation in Kenya since Odinga lost the elections.
But, the situation does not look like it is improving any.

bnelson44 on January 15, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Unity through common values…

ninjapirate on January 15, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Conspiracy Theories, anyone?

(only half-joking, mind you.)

tickleddragon on January 15, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Taking your first point into consideration: You are correct. Although Muslims are not charged with lying to us (and we are not infidels…they are!). They are wholly permitted to lie to us, and they do so regularly and with Clintonian fluency.

Taking your second point into consideration (the conspiracy theory bit): If the first point is true, then the second is not a conspiracy. It’s policy.

thejackal on January 15, 2008 at 12:34 PM

This almost as good as reports that Naomi Campbell is dating Hugo Chavez! Naomi as Venzuelan 1st lady!

SouthernGent on January 15, 2008 at 12:39 PM

baldilocks on January 15, 2008 at 11:56 AM

I think they just did, with Cohen carrying the water for them. The article said the award was for last year, but Cohen’s piece just came out today.

sweeper on January 15, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Kini on January 15, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I doubt Obama will defeat Hitlary but don’t think for one moment that his clearly un-patriotic stances and any connection to Screwy Louie wouldn’t hurt him severely. Underneath it all the vast majority of Americans want a President to stand up and be proud of this nation. Obama might be getting away with his stupid moves at this point but he would pay dearly. Couple that and any association with this racist crackpot and kiss Obama goodbye.

libhater on January 15, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Bryan, did you expect a far left wing fanatical nut job like Sullivan to say anything against Obama?

Capitalist Infidel on January 15, 2008 at 12:46 PM

I was hoping that some of this stuff wouldn’t come out until after Obama wins the Democratic nomination. It would be quite an eye-opener to so many of these suckers who’ve fallen for Obama’s “unity” message. Most people I’ve talked to know almost nothing about who Obama is. It will be interesting to see how people react when they hear about his Muslim parents, his Muslim upbringing (for the first 10 years of his life), his decision to embrace the Muslim Kenyan father (and his large extended family — due to his many wives) who abandoned Obama when he was a baby, his membership in an Afro-centric, black supremacist church . . . . and on and on.

AZCoyote on January 15, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Rangel: Obama’s race remarks “absolutely stupid” in an interview yesterday.

bnelson44 on January 15, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Another black congressman joins the ranks of Hillary’s Vast White Wing Conspiracy.

fogw on January 15, 2008 at 12:51 PM

I could only get 1/3 of the way thru that video on Black Islamic BullShlt before I decided to post and move on……..

awesum on January 15, 2008 at 12:55 PM

sweeper on January 15, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Yeah, I’ve known about this for a couple of months now.

Gianni on January 15, 2008 at 12:59 PM

FYI, Warith Deen Muhammad has no association with the NOI. When he took over the leadership of The Nation of Islam he changed its name and its theological outlook. The quasi-Islamic, Farrakhanized, anti-Semitic hate group is something completely separate. Those facts notwithstanding, Obama’s shady past is something to worry about. Not that it will ever be brought up by the ciphers in the mainstream media.

Gerard on January 15, 2008 at 1:03 PM

What a sorry bunch of candidates this go around.

saiga on January 15, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Farrakan is as much a Christian as Obama. Meaning a Cino is not a Christian. Jesus Christ will separate the sheep (His sheep)from the goats (everyone else). I don’t expect to see Obama among the sheep.
If you think that I won’t be there either, for making such a distinction…wait and see.

Doug on January 15, 2008 at 1:24 PM

In Arabic Abd means slave and it also is a racial slur for blacks.

Does anyone know if the Princes of Mecca still hold the Nation of Islam in disdain? Or have they healed the rift? I would think the Wahabbists would seek to use all the resources available to them in their quest. Even if they are lying about respecting the goofy American Black muslim mishmash called “Nation of Islam” (can’t you hear the Arab Pure Bloods snicker?).

Yes, I know, it’s hard to believe the followers of the religion of peace and tolerance are somewhat racially out of tune with modern thought. ( I’m sure the Muslim blacks of Darfur are upset by this as well.)

BL@KBIRD on January 15, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Yeah, I’ve known about this for a couple of months now.

Gianni on January 15, 2008 at 12:59 PM

So have I. I don’t think that the Clinton are capitalizing on it right now–not with the recent unforced “racist” errors, but we’ll see.

bnelson44 on January 15, 2008 at 12:25 PM

AZCoyote on January 15, 2008 at 12:50 PM

I’ve been talking about the situation in Kenya since the beginning of the year–including the speculation about Odinga’s religion, his blood relationship to Obama and Obama’s contact with Odinga since the chaos in Kenya began. (That contact has the blessing of the Bush Administration.)

In their ignorance of the situation, some others are trying to make a Muslim tie there because of the Obama-Odinga contact. I prefer to concentrate on what’s known or discovered rather than what is feared.

Disclaimer: I am partial of the same ethnicity as Obama and obviously do not think that he should suffer for things he cannot help–that ethnicity (Luo) and the sins of his father. And, yes, my father is in Kenya.

baldilocks on January 15, 2008 at 1:27 PM

partial=partially

baldilocks on January 15, 2008 at 1:30 PM

You should not Judge a person by his family But the friends he keeps are a window to who he is.

GatewayMac on January 15, 2008 at 1:34 PM

The NOI isn’t any more authentic than its even crazier offshoot, The Nation of Gods and Earths, a.k.a. the Five Percenters. Aside from despising Jews and not consuming pork I can’t think of any commonality they share with traditional Moslems.

Gerard on January 15, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Gerard on January 15, 2008 at 1:36 PM

That’s true — I think most traditional Muslims think of the NOI as heretical.

Bryan on January 15, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Let me get this straight:
1. The Muslim “opposition” leader in Kenya, Odinga, whose followers have killed hundreds this year is Obama’s cousin

2. Odinga signed a written promise to the National Muslim Leaders Forum of Kenya to turn Kenya into a country run by Taliban style Shariah law

3. Obama has called Odinga at least a couple of times this month to discuss the situation. Once in the middle of the heated New Hampshire campaign (even though Obama didn’t have 5 minutes to talk to Fox News)

faraway on January 15, 2008 at 1:45 PM

As Gateway Pundit suggested, is this the type of “Change” we are looking for?

faraway on January 15, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Also, exactly what are the “Dreams” of Obama’s father?

This is the “Dream” of his cousin and family member in Kenya.

Luo opposition leader Raila Odinga
believes he won last week’s poll

“To all of Kenya’s people,
I ask you to renew Kenya’s
democratic tradition,
and to seek your dreams
in peace.”

Notice the term “democratic” (the name of his party is the Orange Democratic Movement”). Interesting term for a Taliban style party.

faraway on January 15, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Melanie Phillips: The Obamanable Churchman.

Shy Guy on January 15, 2008 at 2:30 PM

a capella on January 15, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Those who are unwilling to stand up for what they believe deserve what they get. The fear of being called a racist does should not matter to those who are not racist. The unwillingness to speak up is just as problematic as the original transgressions.

Here’s one for you. If you are unwilling to tell an African-American or some other minority how you really feel about a racial issue because you don’t want to offend them…you are practicing a form of prejudice.

This reticence coupled with hyperactive racial politicking causes a lot of resentment. Some people feel as if our national’s at racism has wained, while others feel that they are being unfairly accused of racism. It’s like bad sex — somebody gets laid, somebody gets screwed.

I think this is ultimately harder on Republicans who don’t have a sympathetic ear in the press. Exacerbating things, the right has an surplus of racialist wingnuts who dillute and mock our message of constitutionality and equal opportunity.

The Race Card on January 15, 2008 at 2:41 PM

If ackbar obama’s church has such a “commitment to Africa” wouldn’t Africa be better served with them there instead of here?

John Cunningham on January 15, 2008 at 2:57 PM

John Cunningham on January 15, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Go back to Africa!

I haven’t heard that one in a while. Thanks for the chuckle.

The Race Card on January 15, 2008 at 2:59 PM

The Race Card on January 15, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Very well and good but perceptions or perceived intent are what are at play here, and those perceptions are influenced by how it is reported. In a perfect world, you are right,..in today’s world the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons interpet what we really meant.

a capella on January 15, 2008 at 3:00 PM

At 1:08 into that movie they have a shot of America’s first Muslim Congressman/”CAIR’s Congressman,” Keith Ellison.

Seen also here: http://www.pipelinenews.org/index.cfm?page=ellison110406.htm

I don’t know why that’s important, but I would bet that it is, in fact, important.

PurpleWombats on January 15, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Well, I gotta’ tell ya’…

Were I a moderate Obama supporter, (for which, I thank the good Lord, I’m not) I’d be tellin’ the Rev. Wright to siddown, n’ STFU.

franksalterego on January 15, 2008 at 3:29 PM

a capella on January 15, 2008 at 3:00 PM

I totally get your point, to which I am sympathetic. But my sympathy and our collective apathy will do nothing but allow for further perversion of our ideals.

I choose not to discriminate when discouraging discrimination. I am equal opportunity annoyer. I know that it is often the lone voice in the crowd that makes the louder voices consider alternatives to their rigid fixations.

Also, I think that many people are stuck in the “what if” mindset. What if they call me racist? What if I’m uncomfortable? Those fears prohibit the vital need to be understood and to understand others.

That unexpressed frustration is fertilized over time and blossoms into poison. And those people who once only needed to vent, are now ready to spit fire.

***
Also don’t speak to me about Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons. They are just tow men. Pluralizing them is convenient, but you still only mentioned two men. When was the last time Jesse Jackson made an impact on your life? Do they control policy or legislation? If they are so worthy of your disdain, why do you give them such power? It’s BS.

Does one’s mother-in-law control his life with his wife? Why should two political whores?

Until sensible people respond sensibly and urge their representatives in government to do the same, we will all be saddled by the fruits of our wussification.

It’s pretty unimpressive standing around in a circle jerk complaining to other jerks in the circle when nobody is willing to pull up their pants and really take action.

The Race Card on January 15, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Well, now that religion is a topic of some discussion by the MSM for Republicans what about some light on the Democrats’ religions?

d1carter on January 15, 2008 at 3:47 PM

I grew up deep in “Louie-Land”-I graduated from high school with one of his sons.
Though the son I knew was civil to me despite my being then Jewish and (as now) outspokenly conservative…the rest of the “males” in that family are whacked.
About 10 years ago one of the older sons’ drove up to my alma mater and waited in the parking lot for a young man that had supposedly been bothering his daughter.
He tried to beat he crap out of the poor kid.*rolls eyes*

Yo-bama’s advisors would do well to run the other way from Farrakhan-otherwise Hil will run away with the left Jewish vote.
Jewish liberals tend to be somewhat self-loathing…but even they have their limits!

annoyinglittletwerp on January 15, 2008 at 4:04 PM

I can’t wait for Kucinich’s exploration of his personal relationship with The Mother Wheel.

Dare to dream

Gerard on January 15, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Barack Obama:

I decry racism and anti-Semitism in every form and strongly condemn the anti-Semitic statements made by Minister Farrakhan. I assume that Trumpet Magazine made its own decision to honor Farrakhan based on his efforts to rehabilitate ex-offenders, but it is not a decision with which I agree.

from Politico.com

The Race Card on January 15, 2008 at 4:35 PM

FYI, Warith Deen Muhammad has no association with the NOI. …”

Gerard on January 15, 2008 at 1:03 PM

If Discover the Networks is to be believed, that is not true anymore. According to their site, Wallace Deen Mohammad (who also goes by a few other names) went back to the Nation of Islam and Louis Farrakhan and resigned from his more moderate organization American Society of Muslims. He is apparently now radical again.

I would also like to know why the Christian Obama is involved with Islamic organizations and a Church which honors Islamic leaders. Of all the Churches and charity organizations in Chicago, he chooses these two, closely associated with the Nation of Islam (which all will remember was the organization of choice of Muslim Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN)).

Michael in MI on January 15, 2008 at 5:46 PM

I didn’t see this discussed much (at all?), but maybe Shrillary won New Hampshire because of all those “Obama is a muslim and refuses to salute the flag” emails??

SouthernGent on January 15, 2008 at 6:27 PM

NO ONE who considers himself a man of God can ever be called pastor, priest, reverend, minister, etc if he preaches hatred.

NO ONE who believes such should show any kind of respect for those mentioned above. Yet, Obama addresses Freakakhan as “minister”.

Obviously, he respects the man. A point to remember for the electorate given Obama is supposedly denouncing him in the same breath.

madmonkphotog on January 15, 2008 at 6:32 PM

…So Barack Obama needs to also make a statement about his association with Wallace Deen Mohammad and Project Islamic H.O.P.E., since he is displayed prominently on their banner on their site. …

Please educate about what problem(s) Project Islamic H.O.P.E. presents.

Their executive director is the person pictured with Tavis Smiley, Cornell West, Barack Obama and LA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. Ali is a media savvy publicity fiend. He probably has pictures with scores of public figures. I’m guessing that neither Obama, Smiley or Mayor Villaraigosa planned on being front and center on the orgs homepage.

What known association does Obama have with this organization and what specifically is the problem with this association?

I know that Najee Ali was somewhat influential during the dialogues in LA’s Harbor Gateway against race-based violence.

Am I supposed to be against anything Muslim? Is that an integral part of the war on terror? If so, against what other groups should I practice wholesale prejudice?

The Race Card on January 15, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Michael in MI on January 15, 2008 at 5:46 PM

He reconciled with Farrakhan-in the same vein as the Shabazz family, for some reason-but that’s not the same as returning to the Nation of Islam, an organization he hasn’t belonged to, as a practical matter, since he was in his early ’30s.

Anyway, my point wasn’t that he has sensible views on American foreign policy, or even tolerable religious views, but that he was an adherent of traditional Islamic canon, not the ad hoc fusion of black “nationalism,” anti-white bigotry and quasi-Islamic teachings devised by his father and still represented by Calypso Gene.

So describing him as belonging to the Nation of Islam is inaccurate.

Gerard on January 15, 2008 at 6:50 PM

dish on January 15, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Took some time and browsed the ENTIRE site.

Very disturbing.

oldleprechaun on January 15, 2008 at 7:32 PM

A large number of Christian “black leaders” put blackness over religion. But black Muslims put religion over race. (Ironic, considering how most Arab Muslims regard blacks of any creed…)

Tzetzes on January 15, 2008 at 8:06 PM

You make no distinction between NOI members and those blacks practicing traditional Islam. I know many blacks who are Muslim that have nothing to do with NOI. Do black Muslims in London put religion over race? How could you possibly know? Aside from making gross generalizations and making stuff up, you’re ignoring facts.

Speaking for all, even most of any group is ill-advised. Doing so almost guarantees you will be rendered incorrect.

Do you even care if what you say is true? Or is does it just feel so good to just vent that truth be damnded?

What’s the difference between Barack and Mitt? Neither has spoken out against the religious leaders of their respective churches for their racial rhetoric. Both have denounced racism of any kind. Is that enough?

Voters will decide.

The Race Card on January 15, 2008 at 8:20 PM

This will obviously spawn a new decade of Black Exploitation Films…..

Kini on January 15, 2008 at 11:45 AM

So, does this mean another re-make of Shaft?

LOL.