Video: John McCain gets booed in Michigan

posted at 5:10 pm on January 14, 2008 by Bryan

Michelle noted the booing earlier today, but seeing it on video elevates the story from entertaining to priceless. And it’s over a signature issue, one on which he has been lying lately, illegal immigration.

That story that McCain tells in his defense — calling a soldier who has been serving in Iraq to tell him that the government is deporting his mother — might account for .000001 cases of illegal immigration. So why does he keep telling it?

Because on this issue McCain is a dishonest demagogue who knows his own record could be his undoing.

Update (AP): Just listen as the many caveats to enforcement slip lightly from his lips. Fred should be killing him on this. He’s the only one of the big five whose immigration record is untainted, and yet the most he could muster yesterday on CNN when asked about it directly was this:

BLITZER: And very quickly, McCain, is there a real difference between you and McCain?

THOMPSON: Yeah, I disagree with the illegal immigration bill that they proposed last year and the year before last. Said it from the very beginning, didn’t think that was the way to go. I’ve disagreed with him on tax cuts in times past. In 2001, in particular, I know of one time when I supported the tax cut and he didn’t. So, yeah. And we’ve talked about that.

He’s going to lose this race on Saturday by squandering these opportunities. Watch and see.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

EGADS! I just found that on Google. I hope Bryan will fix that. It is some eurotrash site.
Sorry!

TheSitRep on January 14, 2008 at 6:54 PM

lol.. we all make mistakes.

whiskeytango on January 15, 2008 at 5:42 AM

McInsaine is just another career politician.. He’ll say one thing and do another just like all of em..

whiskeytango on January 15, 2008 at 5:47 AM

Ha! I was there at that Americans for Prosperity rally. I actually thought the booing was kind of rude, not that I didn’t agree with them. McCain was definitely not talking to his supporters at this rally as there weren’t many there, and I was impressed that he took questions. Mitt was there earlier, and he did not take any questions. (I thought all the media left when he did, too. Guess not!)

Too bad Fred didn’t show up. Don’t think he would have been booed! I get to vote for him today.

kas on January 15, 2008 at 6:33 AM

McCain better hurry and get elected before that 1 soldier gets home. Otherwise his campaign is screwed. Also, I am a tad bit offended he would stoop so low to use this 1 case as citizen for our Soldiers and vets have been expedited since 9/11. It is the least we can do for those willing to take up arms in the service of our nation… and we are already doing that.

Yet, McCain, who is more than right on the world on terror, gets no such break from you guys…

Nope… fresh out of breaks for S#*tbag politicians.

My point is..if you want purity, go watch “Snow White” but if you want a good man who will be a great President and will beat the most chilling Democrat to run EVER, then you might want to forgive McCain.

Rightwingsparkle on January 14, 2008 at 7:31 PM

and my point is that this is about more than an election. I am sick of smug pols craming their policies down our throats. It’s bad enough from the Dems, but I’ll be damned enough to take it from a “conservative”. I’d rather take fire from the enemy than my own side. McCain just doesn’t “get it”. He never will. If McCain is the nominee I will stay home or vote libertarian. Clarence Thomas says “You always win when you stand on prinicpal”. I will not compramise mine to win an election. I AM a military officer who KNOWS McCain was/is right on the surge… but I can’t (and never will) get past the way McCain (and this administration) smeared their own base (ie most of us) to pass shamnesty. We need to teach them a lesson. I say there should be no political “amnesty” for the likes of John McCain or Lindsay Ghramnesty. EVER!

John McCain is a man of reason. You can’t deport every illegal in this country. And rather than give you all the feel good rhetoric of “let’s send them all back” ala Tancredo, he’s giving you straight talk.

“Straight talk”… sure. voter: “thanks for all the straight talk Sen McCain”
Sen McCain: (Zip) “Hold on, it’s about to rain.”
voter: “wow great, thanks, Sir!”

BadBrad on January 15, 2008 at 6:40 AM

I guess McCain, the quintessential contrarian, wasn’t paying attention when Americans jammed phone lines and sent millions of faxes in protest of his Amnesty for Illegal Aliens bill.

This man forgets that he works for us and we pay his salary. His arrogance is unacceptable.

He ought to be booed off every stage.

sinsing on January 15, 2008 at 6:46 AM

my favorite is “I will have the govenors certify the boarder is secure”… like it was the hatch on some ship.

I mean, as long as the govenors “certify” it, it can NEVER just be “box-checked”…

IS HE SERIOUS? We will prove to you can trust the politicians in Washington by placing our trust in career politicians at the state level? (granted that is better) Na… can’t be politisized now… were 100% “certified”. It’s like buying a house that seems way overpriced… but hey the seller’s brother appraised it personally, so you can’t be getting screwed.

BadBrad on January 15, 2008 at 6:48 AM

I thought that there is already a way for non-citizens in the US Armed Forces to get a fast track to citzenship, so that soldiers mommy will not have to go back… Problem solved. Why do we bother calling him and Huck Republicans?

rgranger on January 15, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Many of us have decided to write in Fred Dalton Thompson.
TheSitRep on January 15, 2008 at 3:18 AM

The sad part of that will be that after the election, there wont be one single stat reporting how many votes Fred got. The green party candidate and his/her supporters will get more coverage.

csdeven on January 15, 2008 at 8:37 AM

I cannot wait till McCain gets his butt handed to him when the primaries start swinging south to Texas. I will never vote for him to be President. I’m sure he is a nice guy and a good Senator, but to be a Command In Chief he lacks so many qualities. His stance on illegal immigration is just plain treachery!

msipes on January 15, 2008 at 9:36 AM

In “Howl, Michigan”?

Tzetzes on January 15, 2008 at 10:08 AM

I agree. So, the federal government usurps states’ rights at every turn EXCEPT when it comes to the friggin’ border of the United States?

Sketchy

amkun on January 15, 2008 at 10:10 AM

csdeven on January 15, 2008 at 8:37 AM

After, try now. I watched FOX news yesterday for 2 hours and not a single word about Thompson. Rudy, Romney, McCain, Paul, even Tancrado got 2 minutes of coverage. Fred got zip.

In the SC debate Ron Paul got more questions and more time than Thompson did. RON PAUL! What does that say?

I watched his interview on FOX this morning, and all he was having to answer too was Huckabee talking points. Fred called them on it, they had mud on their face.

I honestly think Fred thought he would have a friend in FOX when he got into the race, well, all he found was a RINO mating ground.

Go Fred!

RobertInAustin on January 15, 2008 at 11:19 AM

What a sour man, he just doesn’t get the anger of the common folk on this issue. He just doesn’t understand how much angst, how much distrust, of the government concerning this issue.
He should sit down with some “regular” citizens and try to understand how much money we have to spend to defend our way of life…

right2bright on January 15, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Go Fred!

RobertInAustin on January 15, 2008 at 11:19 AM

RINO mating ground, gotta love that one. I am going to steal that, fair warning.

right2bright on January 15, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Booed? No, that was interrupted (by 2-3 voices, or more?) and heckled for his pseudo-answer… much worse than just being booed.

gekkobear on January 15, 2008 at 1:39 PM

McCain should be used to getting booed and heckled. Believe me, he gets plenty of that when he speaks here in Arizona. He has betrayed his constituents here so many times that we’ve come to expect it of him; betraying the interests of (legal) Arizonans is just business as usual for Juan McCain. And sorry to disagree with you, msipes, but McCain is neither a good senator nor a nice guy.

AZCoyote on January 15, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Will McCain at least call a soldier in Iraq to tell him that his mother was killed by an illegal alien gang banger or drunk driver?

jjcarrillo on January 15, 2008 at 6:17 PM

AZCoyote on January 15, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Then why do you keep electing him?

BadBrad on January 16, 2008 at 6:30 AM