Debate Highlight: Brit Hume and Mitt Romney smack Ron Paul over Iran

posted at 10:41 pm on January 10, 2008 by Bryan

The subject turns to Iran, and all the candidates but Paul express support for the restraint that the US commanders showed in dealing with the Iranian Revolutionary Guard patrol boats. But Ron Paul listens to the voices in his head rather than the candidates on the stage. Brit Hume gets a laugh out of it and Mitt Romney provides the coup de grace.

Update: Final score (according to me).

Winner — Fred Thompson. This was Fred’s best night by far. He concentrated his fire on Huckabee and found his target. He was animated, quick, witty and substantive. A more solid strike on McCain’s amnesty record would have made the night perfect.

Loser — Rudy. He can be good when he’s on camera, but he just doesn’t get beyond his talking points. He’s constantly chortling off-camera. He needs serious improvement as a debater. His “change” answer was great, though.

The others.

Mitt Romney had the second-best night of any of the candidates, but didn’t do what he needed to do tonight. Maybe it was the fact that the other candidates weren’t tearing into him, but he seemed more marginal than he has been in the recent debates. He seemed to be delivering his stump speeches most of the night and therefore didn’t make a solid impression. But he’s checking out of South Carolina after tonight to focus on Michigan anyway, and may benefit if Fred can knock out Huckabee, so not scoring big tonight may not hurt him.

Mike Huckabee. Got taken to task by Thompson, which may leave a mark. Did he really rip off a line about bridges not falling down in Arkansas? Overall, he went up against a bear and got mauled. Not a good night.

John McCain. I’m trying to remember anything he said and I’m coming up empty. He got the kid glove from Fred on amnesty, which makes me wonder if Fred just doesn’t want to go too hard on his old friend. He needs to.

Ron Paul. He needs to pay attention to what the other candidates are actually saying once in a while. For once, he agreed with them on Iran but ranted anyway and earned humiliation for it. Other than that, he offered up the usual weird mix of old-school odd with the occasional ray of small government sense. I wish the other candidates would adopt Paul’s small government ideals. I wish Paul would jettison everything but his small government ideals.

Update:

If only Thompson had been as tough on McCain as he was on Huckabee tonight.

Indeed. And if only he had been this energetic and engaged with potential supporters all along like he has started to lately.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

(Sorry for the double.)

And then the fat headed pundits all wonder why the small candidates are not given enough airtime. After Paul and Kucinich, there should be some kind of psych test required to become a candidate.

DonKermit on January 11, 2008 at 12:02 AM

Don’t forget ol’ gravel-throwin’, Halo-playin’ Gravel!

Think this is at least the second time that the good Dr. has feigned deafness after a damaging question. Am I recalling correctly?

Uncle Pinky on January 11, 2008 at 12:42 AM

Well, to his credit, I noticed him signal about speaking up pretty early on in the question. Interesting observation, though.

OneGyT on January 11, 2008 at 12:51 AM

Could Ron Perot be any more of a crank?

Good Lord.

The Ugly American on January 11, 2008 at 12:52 AM

We can’t having candidates getting out of line and breaking the status quo now do we?

BlackCapitalist on January 11, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Wouldn’t be prudent.

MB4 on January 11, 2008 at 12:54 AM

I think Mitt held off so Fred can marginalize Huck and force him out.

I was roaring watching Fred 8itchslap the Jesus candidate!

LOL

csdeven on January 11, 2008 at 1:03 AM

I don’t know if Fred “found his voice tonight” or had been saving it for SC, but he tore it up nasty style. Depending on how he goes on from here, I may become a Fredhead again.

Ron Paul is a turd.

V15J on January 11, 2008 at 1:09 AM

Good God – he’s channeling Rosie –

The Gulf of Tolken – google it….

AprilOrit on January 11, 2008 at 1:14 AM

haha. i love john mccain’s face anytime he looks at paul in that clip

its vintage duh on January 11, 2008 at 1:31 AM

That line was incredibly low-class on the Huckster’s part. If I was from MN, no way would I vote for a prick who’d say something like that–but then I wasn’t voting for him anyway. Maybe in the next debate he can make a joke about not having any forest fires in his state, or some other kind of fatal or devastating accident. Exactly the kind of compassion that I expect from a liberal.

But you fear the blimp! Don’t you? Fear the blimp?

I know I certainly don’t want that thing flying over my house on a windy day.

- The Cat

MirCat on January 11, 2008 at 12:19 AM

I don’t fear the blimp, but I do respect the blimp. I do, however, fear its powerful wi-fi spam emissions and its clouds of pot smoke, which bring down entire flocks of stoned birds.

ReubenJCogburn on January 11, 2008 at 1:50 AM

Some people have skeletons in their closets.

Ron Paul has Rosie O’Donnel in his.

Montana on January 11, 2008 at 2:07 AM

Final score (according to me).

Yea, doesn’t surprise me..

This Blog shills for Fred, and their fall back is Mitt, maybe you guys are starting to feel sorry for Hugh Hewitt.

LOL

Chakra Hammer on January 11, 2008 at 2:34 AM

Could Ron Perot be any more of a crank?

Good Lord.

The Ugly American on January 11, 2008 at 12:52 AM

Heh

labrat on January 11, 2008 at 3:06 AM

Overall, he went up against a bear and got mauled. Not a good night.

For all his wit and one liners, Huck has shown in this debate that he truly is a minor leaguer.

labrat on January 11, 2008 at 3:22 AM

what an idiot ron paul is. it’s like woody allen and oliver stone got together and had a love child and then force-fed the poor kid a lot of lsd, along with everything noam chomsky ever puked out.

why isn’t this guy a democrat? guess their tent wasn’t big enough for both him and kucinich…

homesickamerican on January 11, 2008 at 3:46 AM

This Blog shills for Fred

Chakra Hammer on January 11, 2008 at 2:34 AM

Yah, that’s right.

That’s why Fred got jumped on for refusing to do the silly hat trick because this blog was shilling for him.

Don’t give up your day job just yet.

MB4 on January 11, 2008 at 3:46 AM

McCain’s grimaces are pretty humorous.

Lambeaux on January 11, 2008 at 4:33 AM

Does he even remember that we lost soldiers on the USS Cole? I never heard Bush say WW3 over this incident, typical Ron Paul whackos, so now because youre a huge vessel, you let speedboats approach anytime they want?

malkinmania on January 11, 2008 at 5:26 AM

Good GAWD why is Ron Paul such a WING NUT?

McCain’s face looking at him and Romney’s retort were just PRECIOUSSSSSSSSS….

Ron Paul = Smeagle

Shirotayama on January 11, 2008 at 6:49 AM

I’m listening. But I am sickened that the candidates, other than Paul, refuse to acknowledge the magnitude of spending problems here at home.

BlackCapitalist on January 11, 2008 at 12:43 AM

Are you also not hearing? Giuliani, Thompson, Romney and especially McCain have all been hammering on spending. Any fiscal conservative has an eye on cutting spending, and all four I’ve mentioned qualify.

Pablo on January 11, 2008 at 6:55 AM

McCain’s bemused expression spoke volumes. Paul is an embarrassment to the GOP. He makes Dennis Kucinich look sane.

infidel65 on January 11, 2008 at 7:30 AM

Does anyone believe that Paul will ever realize that he is not running against George W. Bush?

Nipsey on January 11, 2008 at 7:43 AM

To say that Ron Paul looked like a clown last night is an insult to people who look like clowns every night.

Pcoop on January 11, 2008 at 7:57 AM

McCains expression pretty much sums it up. He said more with his expression than Romney’s most excellent sound bite.

vlad on January 11, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Ron Paul torpedoed his own boat last night.

right2bright on January 11, 2008 at 8:44 AM

McCains expression pretty much sums it up.
I agree, BUT, I can’t stand MCain when he gets that smug a$$ look on his face everytime anyone gets close to disagreeing with him. He is also using a bogus excuse for voting against the Bush tax cuts “we need to control spending in Washington”. So, I summerize that he means, we can’t control our spending, so you need to keep paying higher taxes! Why dont someone call him on this?? Brit? Sean? Anybody!?

kcd on January 11, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Could Ron Perot be any more of a crank?

Good Lord.

The Ugly American on January 11, 2008 at 12:52 AM

I stopped dis’ing Perot when it became obvious that he was right about our trade deals with China and dead-on about NAFTA.

Ernest on January 11, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Fred finally got that 6 pack of Red Bull delivered! Great job, Fred.

Despite all the grumbling of discontent among Republicans, it’s clear that we have some fantastic candidates. Fred, Mitt and McCain all did a great job last night and it’s time to put the doom and gloom aside.

Special thanks to Ron Paul for giving the candidates a chance to contrast themselves with him and his kooky ideas.

Buy Danish on January 11, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Ron Paul torpedoed his own boat last night.

right2bright on January 11, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Well-said, r2b.

Buy Danish on January 11, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Ron Paul embarrasses all thinking Americans. But, and this is no defense of him, where is the real Republican candidate? Where? Who?

4Bear on January 11, 2008 at 11:51 AM

4Bear on January 11, 2008 at 11:51 AM

What did you think of Fred Thompson?

mram on January 11, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Paul is an embarrassment to the GOP. He makes Dennis Kucinich look sane.

Money quote.

hindmost on January 11, 2008 at 12:32 PM

I like Fred and always have. I’m not sure he has the inertia to make it to the target. The office takes a lot of energy and will demand far more time and energy than we see him putting into the campaign. If I have that impression as a person who likes him, how will he carry the undecided?

4Bear on January 11, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Ernest on January 11, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Yea but….We can thank Perot for Bill Clinton, and I think he knew that going in. It was his revenge against the Bush administration. The whole country suffered so he could have his revenge.

4Bear on January 11, 2008 at 12:47 PM