Beloved, highly regarded elder statesman endorses Obama; Update: Silky reacts

posted at 10:10 am on January 10, 2008 by Allahpundit

The backstage tensions from 2004 having been seared, seared in his memory, Waffles reports for duty and duly flips the bird to Silky.

Given his track record, I’m guessing that this was the precise moment Obama “passed the global test.”

Barack Obama has won the presidential endorsement of Sen. John Kerry, the Democrats’ 2004 nominee who lost to George W. Bush.

Kerry, a senator from Massachusetts, plans to announce his support Thursday at a rally at the College of Charleston, said a Democrat familiar with Kerry’s decision. The 2004 nominee will argue that Obama can best unite the country and has the potential to create transformational change, the person said.

Exit question: Will Waffles’s endorsement do as much for Obama as Gore’s endorsement in 2004 did for Howard Dean? It can’t actually … hurt, can it?

Update: Brace yourself.

For Obama, this endorsement fills a particular need: In addition to winning the nomination in 2004, Kerry is considered a strong voice on national security issues and a respected elder of the Democratic establishment.

The real benefit to Obama is coopting Kerry’s leftover fundraising network.

Update: The Pony takes the high road.

Our country and our Party are stronger because of John’s service, and I respect his decision. When we were running against each other and on the same ticket, John and I agreed on many issues. I continue to believe that this election is about the future, not the past, and that the country needs a President who will fight aggressively to end the status quo and change the Washington system and to give voice to all of those whose voices are ignored in the corridors of power.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

“The 2004 nominee loser will argue that Obama can best unite the country and ….”

Fixed. No wait …

That’s better.

Dusty on January 10, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Why would Edwards be disappointed about this? He’s just dodged 2 bullets in as many months.

Jim Treacher on January 10, 2008 at 5:08 PM

I’ve never liked Kerry’s idears. Not even on Cuber.

gmbdds on January 10, 2008 at 5:10 PM

A John Kerry endorsement…The Kiss of death for Hussein Obama!

HaraldHardrada on January 10, 2008 at 5:42 PM

It’s a conspiracy to prevent the first black president of the United States.

Seriously, whatever hope Obama had for running the country, it’s gone now.

Now a fairy tale more than ever.

maynila on January 10, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Just a reminder…Kerry served in the Vietnam war…

right2bright on January 10, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Obama got a long face after hearing of Kerry’s endorsement

Wade on January 10, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Headline in two weeks: Kerry changes mind and endorses Clinton, claiming never to have actually committed to endorsing Obama.

Headline in four weeks
: Kerry again flip flops and re-endorses, Obama, claiming never to have actually committed to endorsing Hillary.

jsingood on January 10, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Just a reminder…Kerry served in went to the Vietnam war…

right2bright on January 10, 2008 at 6:16 PM

deepdiver on January 10, 2008 at 8:03 PM

Alden Pyle

You are among the most annoying of the newcomers. And that’s coming from one of the most annoying old newcomers.

The Race Card on January 10, 2008 at 4:26 PM

?????? Dude, I believe I’ve been here about two years….not that it matters, and I’ll probably not be able to sleep tonight knowing that I annoy you.

Seriously, if I annoy you that’s a good thing, it means I’m making you think, evaluate take a stance and defend an issue you feel strongly about. I don’t swear, nor do I threaten to kill, bomb, nuke this group or that group. I play by the rules, poke a little fun at dopey public figures, express dismay at the decay of my country, and roll my eyes at the weak leaders we have to count on.

So Barry’s a senator, that doesn’t exempt him from being an ass clown. In fact it puts him in with a swarmy bunch of criminals, restroom twinks, and secretary murderers. Titles don’t impress me, a year ago the biggest issue he had debated was raises for Chicago dog catchers.

Osamabama is funny. Admit it. It references Ted Kennedy’s faux paus, (and we can never raz him enough) as well as dozens of others who’ve mistakenly called him Osama including CNN.

It also reminds us of: his time in Madrassa reciting the quran while rocking back and forth like a stoned serial killer, his Muslim upbringing, his odd votes that favor muslims over americans, the fact that the rest of his family is muslim, and, his questionable ties to radical islamists in Kenya which he holds so dear that he took time out of the NH race to interject his influence with.

Plus it rhymes: I’m holding out for the chance to use Osamabamayomama, but I can’t imagine that’ll ever come up.

Alden Pyle on January 10, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Kerry will betray anyone. And Obama will be no different.
He is fickle and rides the wind.

RobCon on January 12, 2008 at 7:27 AM