Audio: TNR editor pores through the archives of Ron Paul’s newsletters; Update: TNR article now available; Update: PJM has more; Update: Ron Paul responds

posted at 1:04 pm on January 8, 2008 by Allahpundit

It’s James Kirchick, who earned the wrath of the blogosphere’s resident Conservative of Doubt a few months ago by daring to criticize Paul for pocketing campaign cash donated by known Nazis. Curious as to how Paul assembled such a jolly constituency of white supremacists, Truthers, et al., Kirchick went hunting for Paul’s old newsletters and found copies in a pair of university libraries. Or so he says — supposedly they’re being published on TNR sometime today. Reserve judgment until you can read them for yourself, as they simply can’t be as brutally bad as Kirchick makes them out to be. For one thing, if they were, Paul could never have gotten elected to Congress; for another thing, it is, after all, TNR. And yet Kirchick’s obviously confident enough in what he found to go on the air here with Gibby and make accusations. It’s nine minutes plus but bear with it. Devastating.

Update: Lest there be any confusion, Kirchick isn’t the editor of TNR. (We know who that is.) He’s the assistant to the editor.

Update: Here’s Kirchick’s report. Transcripts of the newsletters should be available on the site soon.

[W]hoever actually wrote them, the newsletters I saw all had one thing in common: They were published under a banner containing Paul’s name, and the articles (except for one special edition of a newsletter that contained the byline of another writer) seem designed to create the impression that they were written by him–and reflected his views. What they reveal are decades worth of obsession with conspiracies, sympathy for the right-wing militia movement, and deeply held bigotry against blacks, Jews, and gays. In short, they suggest that Ron Paul is not the plain-speaking antiwar activist his supporters believe they are backing–but rather a member in good standing of some of the oldest and ugliest traditions in American politics…

Paul’s campaign wants to depict its candidate as a naïve, absentee overseer, with minimal knowledge of what his underlings were doing on his behalf. This portrayal might be more believable if extremist views had cropped up in the newsletters only sporadically–or if the newsletters had just been published for a short time. But it is difficult to imagine how Paul could allow material consistently saturated in racism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, and conspiracy-mongering to be printed under his name for so long if he did not share these views. In that respect, whether or not Paul personally wrote the most offensive passages is almost beside the point. If he disagreed with what was being written under his name, you would think that at some point–over the course of decades–he would have done something about it.

Lots of anti-black, anti-Israel, pro-militia nuttiness at the link. This guy’s been in Congress for 31 years. No one in his district was able to beat him with this on his record?

Update: Excerpts galore at Pajamas Media.

Update (bp): Here’s Kirchick’s interview with Tucker Carlson, who has been supporting Paul and traveling with him. Note Carlson’s reluctance to believe that this garbage came from Paul even though it was printed by Paul under his name. Tucker will probably come around in a day or two, but will most of Paul’s supporters? Not without some ugliness, imho.

Update: Here’s Paul’s response. No denials that this material appeared in his newsletter; only a denial that he agrees with it. He says he takes “moral responsibility” for the content, though. In which case, how about dropping out?

Comments

And I do not trust those atheists at the AEI that influence our foreign policy, of which Fred is a member.

Nor do I. They’re ruining the world. And to think that I once wrote an article for The American Enterprise magazine. What the heck is Karl (nice first name) Zinnsmeister doing now anyway?

Drum on January 8, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Got gold?

We’ve got you, sir: Comedy gold!

Jim Treacher on January 8, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Let me just say as someone who lives down here next to Ron Paul’s district, they are sparse little towns except for Corpus Christi, which would be a somewhat larger city, who are basically Repubican in their viewpoint of keeping the feds out of their business. Paul’s domestic views play very well.. and until now his foreign policy has never been in play. Actually Ron Paul and Fred! aren’t very far apart where States are concerned, but Paul is clueless where national security is concerned and that’s because he’s never been that involved in any of it as a House Rep for his district .. mostly he’s been involved in bringing pork to his coastal communities and keeping the feds hands off their pocketbooks. That’s why they have voted for him as a Republican.

Texas Gal on January 8, 2008 at 11:51 PM

what do the laws of the people whom we’re conquering have to say about it?

They can say whatever they wish. More power to them. You were nattering on about illegal aliens and conservative principles and, frankly, who knows what. You’ve been doing a passle of nattering about everything except whether or not the esteemed Dr. is racist or merely incompetent in his management of his own newsletter chock full of Christmas wishes from he and Carol. You are consistently inconsistent in regards to the meat of the thread, yet somehow seem to believe that not enforcing our border laws is conservative. Your private copy of the Constitution (underlined, no doubt, in red pencil) seems to have some language that is not in the one in the Archives, your manner is boorish and our language combative.

Why don’t you take a step back, calm yourself down and read some of the tripe you’ve been putting onscreen? Read it as if you weren’t vibrating with misplaced anger and adrenaline.

Uncle Pinky on January 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM

Show me a Bible verse that sanctifies turning a blind eye to a “brother or sister” in their suffering or time of need.

I’ll engage you here for the sake of clarity.

What or who do you have in mind when you bring up “brother or sister in their time of need”?

Drum on January 8, 2008 at 11:59 PM

So, Treach, how you been? Been meaning to drop by Blowin’ Smoke but some of my bookmarks didn’t transfer over. Keeping well?

Uncle Pinky on January 9, 2008 at 12:00 AM

… then perhaps you can explain to me how a Keynesian credit expansion economy is good for America? How it’s good for the U.S. dollar? What’s that? You don’t know what Keynesian economics is? How about the Austrian philosophy that Ron Paul espouses?

The People did in the 30’s…because the government you, the “New” Republicans espouse, the ones that pay no attention to the Constitution (you know, that “Goddamned Piece of Paper”)…will bankrupt this country and your worthless fiat dollars won’t do nothing but wipe your warmongering ass.

Fed Up

Just a little helpful debating tip from elgeneralisimo: When you advocate an economic model, it would be wise not to point out exactly why it was abandoned…

elgeneralisimo on January 9, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Ah, can’t complain. Yourself?

Jim Treacher on January 9, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Uncle Pinky on January 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM

\
Thanks for the chastisement, but I can go to my wife for that.

If you checked the thread, you would see what I think about Ron Paul’s handling of this. But, rest assure, that even though he’s clearly made common cause with racists and bigots, I have little doubt that he is one himself. I figure he was/is a clueless politician.

Now, on to borders. I never said that closed borders are nonconservative. Quite the opposite. That is, we have every (constitutional) reason to guard our borders and our sovereignty. But so do other nations, particularly those that have not attacked us.

What’s the problem?

Drum on January 9, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Mr. Treacher: I’d be very interested in how that one guy is going to vote for whomever HotAir is against. I thought it was illegal to vote numerous times (at least, if you are a Conservative–apparently for Dem’s it’s legal).

I will say this about the isolationist movement. Will they take the blame for the deaths in all our allies countries after we abandon them? Lessee….when Iran nukes Israel, will any of them feel regret(aside from the Stormfront ones who celebrate, that is).

When the Aussies go under, will they yawn? How about Canada? What will they do when the entire rest of the world is united under some ideology: Islam, say, which then declares jihad on us? Maybe it will be Chinese Communism, I don’t care. And since the Paul philosophy would cheerfully allow Canada and Mexico to be overrun first: they will have a prime platform to invade from.

But that’s okay! Ron Paul will save us! He’ll have bought all the gold, by gosh!

Vanceone on January 9, 2008 at 12:04 AM

Tail end of the Martian Death Flu. This is one you don’t want to get. Actually, I’m going to turn in now, but I’ll bookmark you first. Thanks for the giggles, your snark-fu is strong tonight.

Uncle Pinky on January 9, 2008 at 12:05 AM

Thanks for the giggles, your snark-fu is strong tonight.

[bows]

Jim Treacher on January 9, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Fed Up on January 8, 2008 at 11:45 PM

No I did not. YOU missed mine.

YOU require these things, I do not. If America folded tomorrow, I would survive. Got it?

Those poor folks that floated the ocean blue had NOTHING. Yet here we are today. WHY?

WTF is gold gonna’ buy when everything goes to crap? Can you eat gold?

You think Ron Paul or any other politician can stop a world wide melt down? Without taking over the world?? If every other country crashes, do you think that a isolationist policy will protect America? America itself would not exist if Ron Paul lived a few hundred years ago. His policy is “Stay here. We have no right to go any further”.

But real people do not work that way.

Talon on January 9, 2008 at 12:10 AM

You mean you have a lot of doubt that he is one himself. Right?

Jim Treacher on January 9, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Seriously, lad, hang it up. Read that quote. Parse it. You’re not even getting your verb tenses right. And “even though/I have little doubt” eats itself like Ouroubourous. The wife needs to step up on the chastisement. I’m loaded to the gills with Thera-Flu and I’m making more sense than you. Sleep it off.

Uncle Pinky on January 9, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Damn, Treach is faster on the draw again.

All right, this time I’m going to bed. Night all.

Uncle Pinky on January 9, 2008 at 12:13 AM

Uncle Pinky on January 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM

Furthermore, Pinky, America is presently ruining parts of the world. That the mere thought of such a reality would never register with Official Conservatives is no longer a surprise to me, though it does anger me. Nonetheless, it is reality and I suppose I should adjust.

I went to Laura Ingraham’s book signing when she was in my town and I had her sign my book. I podcast Rush every day and think he’s the greatest (though also pretty stupid at times). I voted for GW TWICE! God forgive me. Thomas Sowell is still my hero, even though I think he’s lost much of his edge. He is old, after all. And speaking of old, I am getting older myself, and I no longer think that America is faultless and “The best hope of the world” or whatever nonsense Bill Bennett named his last book (between rounds at the craps table). Actually, I pretty much think America is close to the worse thing for the world these days. Call me negative.

That I am hyped on adrenalin is probably a good thing. It sure beats sitting back and letting the establishment and all the approved candidates do one’s thinking for oneself, no?

You don’t seem to get it: the Republican Party is not conservative. That’s a big deal. If they called themselves liberal, or Trotskyist, or Stupid, that would be fine and put and end to the “tripe” that people like me write.

And for the record, I have on a few occasions here registered my approval of Rudy Giuliani as president. Because, there becomes a point where even I get tired of fighting, and sh*t, if we’re going to go fascist, why not the best man for the job!

Rudy in 2008!

I’m losing my f*cking mind.

Drum on January 9, 2008 at 12:17 AM

Uncle Pinky on January 9, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Right. It’s late and I’m drunk and have pretty much lost my marbles.

Drum on January 9, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Drum on January 8, 2008 at 11:59 PM

Uhhhhh……..I did not see a qualifier in that statement so none was intended.

What is your take on that parable?

Talon on January 9, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Jim Treacher on January 9, 2008 at 12:12 AM

See? I meant to quote Treacher.

Jeez. Talon, pray for me …

Drum on January 9, 2008 at 12:19 AM

What is your take on that parable?

Talon on January 9, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Oh God. You said something about brothers and sisters in need and then something about Ron Paul NOT being the good Samaritan.

What do YOU mean by that?

Drum on January 9, 2008 at 12:21 AM

My “take” on that parable is the take any literate person (which immediately disqualifies our president) has. What’s your point?

Drum on January 9, 2008 at 12:24 AM

Drum on January 9, 2008 at 12:21 AM

I know you need sleep.

Ron Paul wants the USA out of EVERY foreign issue …..Yes?

Ron Paul would have walked past the injured person in the parable saying it is not his business to get involved. It isn’t in the Constitution.

I am NOT saying that RP would allow a person to die….OK?? It is a parable. Ron Paul would allow North Korea to over-run South Korea and keep America out of it. Don’t matter we have an agreement….He would ignore it.

Ron said it.

Last post tonight. Night all.

Talon on January 9, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Done.

Jim Treacher on January 9, 2008 at 12:32 AM

Right. And this (in another thread somewhere on HA) I have said. I don’t think he is realistic about how the world works (particularly Islam), which is typical for a libertarian. There is this (faulty) idea that libertarians hold that says if WE act a certain way, others will respond in kind (a perversion of the Golden Rule). Moreover, there is the mistaken belief of theirs that human beings are individual actors at root and not bound by race, religion, family, community, nation, etc. And that is simply not true, as discomfiting as that reality often is.

HOWEVER. This does not excuse the numerous interventions and wicked actions that America has taken and continues to take around the world. And yet, the current crop of Republican and Democratic players seem to thing the exact opposite.

Drum on January 9, 2008 at 12:35 AM

My last was in response to Talon.

Bed time.

Drum on January 9, 2008 at 12:36 AM

WTF is gold gonna’ buy when everything goes to crap? Can you eat gold?

Gold has 5,000 years of purchasing power history.

End of story.

Gnite now…

Fed Up on January 9, 2008 at 12:47 AM

just step back and appreciate the amount of responses this article generated, it’s too bad people had to ruin it by resorting to childish name-calling, instead of debating the substance of the issue. As far as the newsletters issue goes, he’s innocent until proven guilty as far as i’m concerned. however, people’s opinion is totally different. i wasn’t going to vote for him beacuse of his foreign policy, but that dosen’t mean i love picking any other of these candidates either. call me a “paultard” if you wish, but it would be untrue and inaccurate, i’m loyal to ideals, Dr. Paul just so happens to share some of them(on the domestic side). still, i’m glad he’s getting attention, maybe he will inspire a young person to read the constitution and thus, live by the values and ideals we hold as Americans. And maybe they’ll become the greatest President we’ve ever had. unfortunately, this is reality, and we will keep getting the same doucebags we get every four years.

So go ahead, call me a “paultard”, a “Ronulan”, or whatever condescending lable you want, you’ve already made-up your mind, i’m not going to bother to try and change it.

RMC1618 on January 9, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Should have read:

Talon on January 9, 2008 at 12:10 AM

WTF is gold gonna’ buy when everything goes to crap? Can you eat gold?

Gold has 5,000 years of purchasing power history.

End of story.

Gnite now…

Fed Up on January 9, 2008 at 12:49 AM

Bottom line…

given the present environment…

a Ron Paul presidency…

will get us all killed.

Texas Gal on January 9, 2008 at 1:10 AM

Vanceone on January 9, 2008 at 12:04 AM

I hear it make a great soup and is very nutritious…

Hey puke up…All the gold in the world isn’t going to do you a damn bit of good when you are starving if you cant find anyone willing to trade you a loaf of bread for your gold.

What you refuse to grasp is that gold and silver have absolutly no value in and of themselves. The only value they have is that which individual possessing them places on them.

Gold will not cure you of cancer and it will not fill your stomach when you are starving. It’s only value resides in the willingness of others to accept it in exchange for other objects. It has exactly the same value as paper, it’s only valuable when someone else is willing to accept in in exchange for something.

Every form of currency ever invented by man has had the exact same limitation. It’s value is directly proportional to is perceived symolic representation of some other tangible good. Before you go off on your blind Don Quixote jousting of Keynesian economics and start ranting about the gold standard, try grasping this little fact.

The total amount of Gold on the face of the earth is 142,000 tonnes. The current population is over 6 billion, that means 1.3 grams per person. The total value of that gold is 7.2 trillion dollars, the 2007 US GDP alone was 13.16 trillion dollars, nearly double the value of the entire worlds supply of Gold. The worlds combined GDP for 2007 was 65 trillion, 9 times the value of the worlds Gold.

Oh and FYI, as a Reagan conservative, I’m an anti-Keynesian Friedman monetarist.

doriangrey on January 9, 2008 at 1:22 AM

You shall not lay upon the brow of labor this crown of thorns.

You shall not crucify mankind upon a cross of gold!

Keljeck on January 9, 2008 at 1:25 AM

Yeah, b-b-but… it’s gold!

Jim Treacher on January 9, 2008 at 1:47 AM

Yeah, b-b-but… it’s gold!

Jim Treacher on January 9, 2008 at 1:47 AM

Yup, and when you put it in your gas tank you get 1 bazillion miles to the gallon…

doriangrey on January 9, 2008 at 1:56 AM

Yeah, but it’s so shiny!

Jim Treacher on January 9, 2008 at 7:40 AM

“This is gold, Mister Bond. All my life I’ve been in love with its color, its brilliance, its divine heaviness.”

Could it be that Auric Goldfinger was one of the first Paulnuts? It all makes sense now.

ReubenJCogburn on January 9, 2008 at 11:24 AM

doriangrey on January 9, 2008 at 1:22 AM

Finally squeezed some discourse out of you that didn’t include slander…(except for the “puke up” remark…as I know you can’t help yourself).

It’s not just about gold. Silver is also defined by our Constitution as money in Article I, Section 10, Clause 1 -“No State shall…coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debt.”

Gold and silver have been utilized as a medium of exchange since well before Christ, and you claim this history means nothing? Have you forgotten the golden rule? “He who has the gold, makes the rules?”

While you are partially true about gold and silver having no value in and of themselves, (silver actually does because it is utilized as an industrial metal – and even gold has some industrial uses), it is the history that makes them what they are.

How much history does the U.S. fiat dollar have without gold backing? Nixon took us off the gold standard in 1971 as America declared its second bankruptcy (first was in 1933). So the U.S. fiat dollar has exactly 37 years of “history,” surviving sans gold backing.

Are you willing to put your fiat dollars against gold and silver moving forward knowing that what backs the U.S. dollar today is over 9 trillion of current debt, future debt of over 40 trillion for social security and medicare, bailouts of the pension guaranty association, subprime bailouts, bank bailouts, corporate bailouts, insert catastrophe here bailout, etc. etc. (not to mention we don’t do so well in trading any longer).

So would the average intelligent American today think that in the medium term their wealth will be maintained in gold and silver, or in fiat dollars? If the U.S. were a corporation with that kind of balance sheet, would you invest in it? Well, China and Japan are…and only for so long. Do you think they are happy with such a large asset depreciating? Hardly.

Throughout the history of civilization, every paper currency has died. Throughout the history of civilization gold has never gone to zero in value. Yet you think gold won’t buy you anything in the future? Gold has always represented wealth. Paper money, not so much.

Your calculations utilizing the population of the world make no sense. Do you think today that every human holds fiat money? Billions, and I do mean billions, do not use money whatsoever, but work for food like the people you see in downtown San Diego.The World Health Organization estimates that one-third of the world is well-fed, one-third is under-fed one-third is starving. So one third of the world has enough “fiat money” to pay for food so they, at a minimum, are not under-fed or starving.

GDP = private consumption + investment + public spending + the change in inventories + (exports – imports).

Public spending, thanks to the credit Greenspan and the Fed generated during his tenure, has been fueling the economy. The subprime meltdown is just the tip of the iceberg.

Our current debt is 88% of GDP. The current U.S. debt to GDP ratio wouldn’t even allow the U.S. to be accepted into the European Union!

“Under Republican leadership the debt has doubled in size relative to the GDP. To call the doubling of our debt insignificant is at best demonstrating a gross misunderstanding of the situation. At worst it is an out right lie designed to mislead the public into accepting tax and trade policies that will ruin our future economy for the sake of short term gains for the very wealthy, meanwhile devastating the Middle Class. It is obvious that not dealing with the massive debt now could very well crush our nation’s future economy.”

What do you think led to the Russian financial crisis in 1998? Argentina’s default in 2001? Any economist worth their salt can predict that if the U.S. continues on the same path, bankruptcy is the only option (or taxing the hell out of the U.S. citizen – or stealing their wealth as they did in 1933).

Gold is tremendously undervalued. All the powers of the world try to keep We The People from understanding where gold fits into one’s portfolio. They keep it at the top of the pyramid as if it was a “risky” investment.

The real risk is in owning U.S. fiat dollars.

Oh, and regarding your “Reagan Conservative” self description, you’ll be happy to know that during his eight years in office the percentage of debt to GDP grew to 51.9%. This amounts to a 64% increase in debt relative to GDP while Reagan was in the White House.

Got gold and silver?

Fed Up on January 9, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Oh, and don’t forget the compensation to these folks:

lol

Fed Up on January 9, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Got refills on all your meds?

Jim Treacher on January 9, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Got refills on all your meds?

Jim Treacher on January 9, 2008 at 4:17 PM

You can do better than that Jim…

When you get finished with Part VIII, get back to me…

Fed Up on January 9, 2008 at 5:14 PM

So that’s a no…

Jim Treacher on January 9, 2008 at 5:58 PM

So that’s a no…

Jim Treacher on January 9, 2008 at 5:58 PM

It’s ok if you choose to stay ignorant Jimmy.

Fed Up on January 9, 2008 at 6:12 PM

You have to keep taking them, every day, even if you think you’re feeling better.

Jim Treacher on January 9, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Shouldn’t you be out chasing stars for a story instead of wasting time here Jimmy?

Here’s a story for ya to chase: http://www.creators.com/opinion/michelle-malkin.html?columnsName=mim

Fed Up on January 9, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Well, if you won’t listen to the doctors, I don’t know why I thought you’d listen to me. Oh well, I tried.

Jim Treacher on January 9, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Jim Treacher on January 9, 2008 at 6:33 PM

There’s only one Doctor I listen to:

Fed Up on January 9, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Make that Herr Doktor, Fed Up.

Tinian on January 9, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Make that Herr Doktor, Fed Up.

Tinian on January 9, 2008 at 10:01 PM

There are more similarities to Bush as Hitler than Dr. No…

and you might as well include McRomneyGiulianiHuckabeeThompsonMcCain in that Bush category. Man has the Republican party platform changed!

Fed Up on January 10, 2008 at 1:34 AM