Video: The obligatory “iron my shirt” post; Update: Radio show stunt?

posted at 11:09 pm on January 7, 2008 by Allahpundit

The plant rumors are a-swirlin’, but given that it’s derivative of a viral ‘Net meme it’s probably just a couple of kids looking to earn immortality in the jackass hall of fame.

You know what the most compelling evidence is that it was pre-planned, though? It’s not that the incident’s a near-perfect identity-politics counter to Obama’s own compelling IP narrative. It’s that she handled it really, really well. Where did the Glacier learn how to leverage political opportunities so deftly in an eyeblink?

Oh. Right. Click the image to watch.

Update: One of the guys has a MySpace page claiming he’s a Republican. The other one has … a “Hillary for President” sticker on his carrying case?

Update: MM notices something I noticed too. Why would Hillary ask for the lights to be turned on when they held up the sign? If they aren’t plants then she’s even cannier and quicker on her feet than I gave her credit for.

iron.jpg

Update: An eagle-eyed tipster notes that Adolfo Gonzales Jr., one of the guys named in the Daily News story, shares a name with an assistant producer of the Toucher and Rich Show in Boston, which seems to specialize in stunts. Another guy on the show’s staff is “Intern Nick.” Would that be Nick Gemelli, the other guy named in the story?

Note that “Gonzales” is actually spelled differently in the Wikipedia article than in the News report so maybe they’re different.

Update: Compare the photo of Gonzales from the Toucher and Rich site to the heavy-set heckler being escorted out in the following clip. Looks like the same dude to me.

Update: Yeah, it’s the same guy. Per Amerpundit, here’s the heckler’s MySpace page as described in the Daily News article. He mentions in the left sidebar that he works for a radio station but the News didn’t put two and two together.

The man himself, courtesy of Toucher and Rich’s YT page.

Update: Jim Treacher sends a link to this bulletin board thread where other people are saying it’s the guys from Toucher and Rich.

Comments

Hillary “Let them eat cake !”

William Amos on January 7, 2008 at 11:11 PM

I think the tell is her pause and stalling as she orders her staff to turn the lights on because “it’s awfully dark in here.”

Michelle on January 7, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Total plant. Go watch the movie ‘Leap of Faith’ about a travelling ‘faith healer’ played by ‘Steve Martin’. This is just like that. It makes me mad that the Hillary camp would be so shameless.

ThackerAgency on January 7, 2008 at 11:12 PM

I wonder how many dry runs they did of this last night. It would have seemed more authentic has she screeched, “Off with their heads!”

SouthernGent on January 7, 2008 at 11:13 PM

You people and your cynicism disgust me!
/sarc-off>

thegreatbeast on January 7, 2008 at 11:15 PM

You have to respect honesty, in all its myriad forms.
I guess a better sign would be “Hillary! Iron Your Pantsuit”.

TexasJew on January 7, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Dude Bill O’ Reilly should have taken that tack with Obama he might of gotten an interveiw !

Now if it were me it would have read “eat my shorts”

William Amos on January 7, 2008 at 11:15 PM

I’m not one to doubt Hildebeast’s ability to plant, but I’m not quite sure about this one. I’ve seen the meme before, and I wouldn’t put it past college kids to do this (even if they don’t believe it) just to be, ya know, totally awesome man.

amerpundit on January 7, 2008 at 11:16 PM

I skipped this story until now. This was no accident. No accident.

Spirit of 1776 on January 7, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Notice the boy in the front wasn’t clapping at first then the man next to him, presumably his father, said something to him and then he clapped. I wonder what he said. “Tuck them in son, your a Democrat.”

Bill C on January 7, 2008 at 11:17 PM

And the Oscar for “most shameless campaign gimmicks in one single day goes to…”

cherokeejeff on January 7, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Well, that’s two minutes I’ll never get back.

Fuzzball on January 7, 2008 at 11:17 PM

If it is stage surely a member of the professional media will get the the bottom if it? Right? Or is Ironing-Gate not “sexy” enough?

VeniVidiVidic on January 7, 2008 at 11:18 PM

definately a plant…. Once again the victim overcomes adversity… Give me a break!!! btw hillary couldn’t iron straight a wrinkle-free shirt if she tried.

whiskeytango on January 7, 2008 at 11:20 PM

I don’t care whether or not it’s a plant…well, okay, I care, but first I care that she’s pulling that “highest glass ceiling” crap. I am so tired of hearing that sort of stuff.

Get over it.

mjtyson on January 7, 2008 at 11:23 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if NOW, Code Pink, and the Clinton campaign set this one up.

madame_bluetooth on January 7, 2008 at 11:25 PM

I just had a flashback to the first HillBilly Presidency. Vigorously shaking my head to free it of the not-so-random cerebral association here- and it was not a pleasant experience. For this kind of doubt, far and above all other reason; this two-headed monster must be defeated.

ChipDWood on January 7, 2008 at 11:26 PM

The ‘lights’ remark was my indication too. I think, in the face of hecklers, I’d be more concerned with restoring order, not making it easier to see their sign.

I probably also would have suggested that a tasing was in order.

askheaves on January 7, 2008 at 11:27 PM

There’s something spooky, mysterious about that tape. Something…. missing. Maybe it’s because……….. fire doesn’t melt iron. This whole thing is a blowback false flag operation. It’s all Bush’s fault. Why do they hate us? Bring home the troops. Osama = freedom. /sarc

indythinker on January 7, 2008 at 11:31 PM

1/07 Truth.

ninjapirate on January 7, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Hillary’s popularity has always gone up when Bubba’s wandering eye goes wandering….I’d love to hear that particular private conversation – “It’s win/win!” says Bubba.

Marcus on January 7, 2008 at 11:32 PM

1/071/08 Truth!!!

ninjapirate on January 7, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Wait for the “Republican” Captian Fun From his Myspace page

Your Heritage: Latino, Via La Raza !!!

William Amos on January 7, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Wait, 1/071/08 Truth!!!1/07 Truth…

ninjapirate on January 7, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Yeah, Hilldog was good to go from the git go, lights, camera,… then the cheesy, badly acted, and staged set-up. Really, she has turned her campaign into something that makes professional wrestling seem very real in comparison.

Tobias2012 on January 7, 2008 at 11:37 PM

I saw my favorite genuinely anti-Hillary sign at a rally during her initial run for the U.S. Senate.

Two high school students were holding up pieces of oak tag with the word “Robo-b*tch” scrawled on them in magic marker.

Gerard on January 7, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Michelle on January 7, 2008 at 11:12 PM

I think I disagree with you on the Emotional Hillary thing, I think she cracked because the nom is slipping out of her reach, but this I agree with you, I’m leaning staged on this.

doubleplusundead on January 7, 2008 at 11:39 PM

So why is it that the sign isn’t held up so the print is right-way-round to Hillary… it’s only “readable” from behind? And when the lights go up, they don’t go up on the audience so much as to brighten the stage.

Luckily for the sign guy, you can read his sign better that way! :thumb:

Mr Michael on January 7, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Here’s Gonzalez in a contest for a trip to Panama.

amerpundit on January 7, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Ah, the remnants of sexism, alive and well

And the crowd goes wild?

Kmarion on January 7, 2008 at 11:45 PM

If a right wing “activist” had attempted this “stunt” in a democratic stronghold he would have been bloodied, beaten and forced into sensitivity training before being left in a cold dark alley to rediscover his primordial need to hug. Notice when the placard is ripped from his hands he doesn’t run screaming from the hall as any sober-minded white (or brown, yellow, purple) heterosexual man would when threatened by the Clintonista’s village. Total fabrication IMHO.

Ciannaky on January 7, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Total plant.
It let her score the “highest glass ceiling” point, and showed her detractors to e sexist idiot, instead of thoughtful people who won’t buy her “change” rhetoric.(If she’s been an agent of change for 35 years she is either totally incompetent, i.e. we need more change, or she is evil, i.e the change she made was for the worse)

Shillary… she can cry, and take on the male-fascists!!!!

VolMagic on January 7, 2008 at 11:51 PM

Hillary apparently thinks we’re all stupid. That Adolfo guy is not Republican, not with George Lopez as someone he would love to meet…Lopez gave the most vulgar diatribe on Bush I’ve ever heard??? No way!

Hill and Bill please go away already!

CCRWM on January 7, 2008 at 11:53 PM

I dunno…seems like more a Fraternity prank more than a Clinton plant. Funny as hell, either way, though…

Word to the wise: I just tried this with my GF, and she didn’t find it as funny as I thought she would. Plus Im sleeping on the couch.

CapitalistPig on January 7, 2008 at 11:53 PM

One perp according the the NY Daily News.

ninjapirate on January 7, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Wasn’t it Rush that told a femanazi joke about meeting Hillary in an elevator and her asking him to make her feel like a woman? Something about him undressing and then telling her to iron is shirt?

MsDollie on January 7, 2008 at 11:56 PM

ninjapirate on January 7, 2008 at 11:59 PM

Wow after watching the life of adolpho no wonder he asked Hillary to iron his shirts. Thats the closest he will get a woman to do anything for him

William Amos on January 8, 2008 at 12:03 AM

I have no audio on my computer, but here he is dressed up like a pilgrim and holding a fake turkey.

ninjapirate on January 8, 2008 at 12:05 AM

One perp according the the NY Daily News.

ninjapirate on January 7, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Yeah, that looks like the dude.

- The Cat

MirCat on January 8, 2008 at 12:07 AM

What a friggin act. Let that woman go down in flames. She wants to be president for some unknown reason and has for a very very long time. I am talking 5-8 years of working on it.

johnnyU on January 8, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Adolfo’s (“Captain Fun” ) MySpace page says he is an Asst. Producer at WBCN radio in Boston. I have had friends who worked in TV and Radio. One thing that would get them fired immediately would be to pull a public stunt that reflected badly on the station.

Unless of course you’re working under orders.

MoCoM on January 8, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Plants need watering.

I don’t believe this was unknown to HillRod for a minute. Recall her and Bubba’s appearances in the ’90′s where everything was choreographed and scripted? Recall Linda Bloodworth Thomason or Harry Thomason?

I wish I could place the event, but I recall some people who actually did want to honestly protest Hillary or Bill in the ’90′s, and had their signs confiscated upon entering the venue.

How did these guys manage to get their signs in without anyone knowing they had them?

91Veteran on January 8, 2008 at 12:28 AM

From Adolfo’s page:

Your Heritage: Latino, Via La Raza !!!

Doesn’t sound very Republican to me. Unless he’s a Bushie.

p0s3r on January 8, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Looks like Adolpho should have been chanting “Count my calories! Count my calories!”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on January 8, 2008 at 12:33 AM

Mystery solved? A possible radio show prank.

Michelle on January 8, 2008 at 12:33 AM

Screw the shirt…… Where’s my dinner? Take care of the shirt after I’m finished eating and the table is cleared. ;)

justice4ddd on January 8, 2008 at 12:38 AM

It’s not a different guy. If you go to the Toucher and Rich Show’s YouTube account, you’ll find the their Adolfo is the same as the one with the Myspace account the Daily News linked.

amerpundit on January 8, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Here’s the thing, though. Their website says “ToucherandRich.com is taking a break while we rebuild for 2008″. Doesn’t anyone know if they’re still on the air, though?

amerpundit on January 8, 2008 at 12:41 AM

Hot on the trail, as I had hoped. Good work, guys!

petefrt on January 8, 2008 at 12:47 AM

What the heck happened with my trackback? It listed twice.

amerpundit on January 8, 2008 at 12:52 AM

Michelle on January 8, 2008 at 12:33 AM

Interesting, I’ll bet that’s it.

doubleplusundead on January 8, 2008 at 12:54 AM

Toucher did this SAME exact stunt to Martha Burke (I think that is her name) the feminist that protested the masters a few years ago. At the time he was a dj at 99x in Atlanta. So this is def. his idea.

Villanova on January 8, 2008 at 1:04 AM

This is HILARIOUS. This is def. Toucher and Rich. Toucher did the same thing at the Augusta Golf Club protest when women wanted to be able to play. Here is the picture of that incident.

SECOND LOOK AT TOUCHER AND RICH.

muyoso on January 8, 2008 at 1:55 AM

It is this type of crap along with publicizing the “tears” that will put her back on top. Let her die quietly and miserably- then celebrate.

Valiant on January 8, 2008 at 5:38 AM

Is anyone else thinking she may have a “Suddenly I See” moment with Bill, if things keep going badly?

Just me? Usually is.

PowWow on January 8, 2008 at 5:47 AM

i have read several articles talking about how obama has unexpectedly overtaken her with the female demographic. if this indeed was staged by her or her minions, it really would be the most pathetic and desperate of attempts to win back some of those women who think she is a cold, calculating, machiavellian beeeeeeeeeyotch (both my mom and stepmom feel that way about her…)

homesickamerican on January 8, 2008 at 6:55 AM

Good job HotAir, on exposing this Hillary stunt. Now will the Main Stream Media pick up on this fraud and make Hillary pay the price for this deception and attempted smear of men in general …. I don’t think so.

Maxx on January 8, 2008 at 7:03 AM

Why doesn’t Adolfo hook up with the girl in the mirror behind him?

ToddonCapeCod on January 8, 2008 at 7:31 AM

Definitely feels like a dopey radio stunt. Except nobody yelled “O&A party rock!”

Jim Treacher on January 8, 2008 at 8:07 AM

Wait, I’m confused. Is this a Hillary plant, or a radio station stunt?
Or is the implication that the radio station has done this before so the campaign arranged this with them?
Either way, she seemed to totally expect it.

Dork B. on January 8, 2008 at 8:15 AM

Yeah, this has the smell of of plant but if you are going to do a “stunt”, do it with more immagination. “Iron my pants suit” would have gotten much more attention.

diogenes on January 8, 2008 at 8:21 AM

I still like the “Fix my dinner, b***c” at a pro-abortion rally.

madmonkphotog on January 8, 2008 at 8:31 AM

Poor Hillary, she’s such a klutz with no finesse. Her voice! THAT brain-boring voice tells all. Even during her sob session, THAT voice interjected during a 3-word catch phrase engulfed within her gush before Hillary caught herself losing “character” and tried to faux wilt again, waiting for Prince Charming to save the day for her.

People recognize a fraud sooner or later (Democrats LATE). Gullible people flock to the new and unknown element as they disenchant from the old and stale disappointment. To confront Obama, he must be made known for whom he fronts and what he actually is and is not. Hillary can’t berate Obama’s source because she’s trying (miserably) to woo that source.

maverick muse on January 8, 2008 at 8:38 AM

Or George Carlin walking into NOW HQ and asking for a… ahem.

Jim Treacher on January 8, 2008 at 8:40 AM

Weird, weirder, weirdest ploys.

Though the Clinton machine exists and should not be dismissed out of hand, the Clintons themselves are stuck on stupid vaudevillian minstrel show techniques.

blacker than black Jim Crow “mammy”
damsel distressed by the villian
superimpose 20th-Century Wonder Woman of experience

Hillary’s offending a lot of people with this latest charade, just for the libber vote that she already had.

maverick muse on January 8, 2008 at 8:49 AM

She still won’t win. It’s over. The bigger question: will Hill and Bill now finally admit that they have a marriage in name only and move on? Clearly, their mutual usefulness is now nonexistent. Bill will never live in the White House again and Hill will have to “settle” for Senator (tough life).

Gartrip on January 8, 2008 at 9:10 AM

She knew. I suspect she was notified of the signs and asked what to do. She let them stay, told them where they could stand, and decided to make hay out of it while she was on a roll with the tears. She has quite a bit of headway to make up with Osamabama.

Hillary may think well when it comes to plotting arkancide, but I’ve never seen her think well on her feet.

txgalntn on January 8, 2008 at 9:22 AM

What a plant.

Tim Burton on January 8, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Guys. Hillary is not working with Toucher & Rich.

Jim Treacher on January 8, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Guys. Hillary is not working with Toucher & Rich.

Jim Treacher on January 8, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Maybe O&A could trot her out for WOW.

PowWow on January 8, 2008 at 11:02 AM

She will stoop to the bowels of the earth (she is probably very familiar with them) to get her way. She knows how gullible the liberals are and how easily they are led. Sheep…bah-bah

kcd on January 8, 2008 at 11:50 AM

How stupid does Hillary think we all are?

The sign didn’t say “Hsu are you” or “release the records”, it says exactly what martyrs for Hillary would script.

On the same day that Hillary bussed Massachusetts supporters in to New Hampshire rallies for her staged cry-fest…

Let’s say it all again…

How stupid does Hillary think we all are?

DANEgerus on January 8, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Radio stunt, plant, shrub…whatever… It really just points out how desperate the Clinton campaign is. She is starting to addresss the area that people seem to complain about. I don’t doubt that she is tired and just sick of everyone dumping on her… Might I suggest she talk with her pastor!

As for the plants thats need their laundry done, I would suggest they get their money from the campaign now before they close up shop.

cattekc on January 8, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Maybe O&A could trot her out for WOW.

Worn Out Wednesday?

Jim Treacher on January 8, 2008 at 12:29 PM

The Runts of Stunts!

ronsfi on January 8, 2008 at 1:05 PM

She “aint no ways tired” of these vast right wing conspiracies.

Alden Pyle on January 8, 2008 at 1:14 PM

And this, folks, is why all people should be involved in politics and voting…

What. An. Idiot.

tickleddragon on January 8, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Do you suppose that Hillary will be so truely devistated if she loses big in NH, that she really will fall apart?

kcd on January 8, 2008 at 1:30 PM

I probably have to improve my skills with women…… 3 of my friends called me yesterday to make sure that I wasn’t the guy with the sign.

Joey1974 on January 8, 2008 at 3:49 PM

this was great! I linked it on our front page today. (link to hot air of course)

Drunk Report on January 8, 2008 at 5:26 PM

Time for Hillary to pull out all the stops and go for broke,
it has all the appearance of a plant,first it’s tears and
now the sexist card,but strange I don’t see the feminazi’s
stirred up in her defence!

canopfor on January 8, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Studdering John should demand a fee from this guy.

RobCon on January 9, 2008 at 12:56 PM