Vodkapundit to Iowa’s Republicans: Thanks, you “corn-sucking idiots”

posted at 2:57 pm on January 4, 2008 by Allahpundit

Too far? The debate rages in the comments to the headline item. It’s being interpreted by some, I think, as a veiled swipe at the intelligence of evangelical voters, who made up 80+% of Huck’s support, or even rural voters. VP doesn’t say a word about either, although I admit to cringing at it just because it plays right into the type of identity politics Huckabee’s worked so hard to cultivate and which our own resident evangelical incisively exposed last night. Like I said when Coulter attacked him for being “easily led,” he’s trying to fuse religious, class, and regional grievances into some sort of “simple folk vs. the elites” movement. Every time an “elite” hits his supporters for being stupid, it’s more grist for the mill to allege that what those elites really find stupid is Christianity or farmers, as opposed to pretty much everything he’s said about Pakistan in the last two weeks.

The irony is, while it’s true that most of Huck’s supporters last night were evangelical, it’s not true that most evangelicals were Huck supporters. From what I hear, a little more than half broke for other candidates. We have plenty of evangelicals commenting here, first and foremost among them my esteemed co-blogger, and the Hucka Hucka burnin’ love is nowhere to be found. It bears reminding people of that, since the more his supporters are falsely equated with Christians in the public mind, the easier it is for him to disingenuously spin attacks on him as attacks on Christianity or Christmas or whatever. Which isn’t to suggest I’m accusing VP of attacking religious voters, merely that making it an issue of intelligence is the wrong “frame,” as the nutroots like to say.

I’m going to import the headline comments. You can take it from there.

Update: Here’s why it’s going to be hard to keep the Christian vs. Huckabee supporter distinction intact. The better he does, the more the media (and people like Dobson) will spin it as Christian empowerment.

Update: “So we’ve got Huckabee with Jesus as his running mate versus, it seems, the Second Coming of Jesus Himself. I guess religious voters are going to have a hard time deciding here.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

That is one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this site.

So who is responsible for this awful result in Iowa? Nobody? The buck stops somewhere, and ultimately it’s with the clear-headed Republican Iowans who weren’t able to convince their fellow citizens how terrible a threat a Huck nomination will be.

You can disagree all you like — call it stupid, too, if you feel that’s the case — but Iowa Republicans are at fault for this travesty.

I lost my long harangue into the ether, so I’ll summarize as “Leave VodkaPundit Alone!” He has it exactly right — corn sucking idiots.

Right on, Jailbones.

HebrewToYou on January 4, 2008 at 8:43 PM

entagor on January 4, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Re evangelism, please see: thejackal on January 4, 2008 at 4:46 PM

I believe I made that matter very plain, and with all due respect to believers.

thejackal on January 4, 2008 at 8:55 PM

It’s not my comparison! I live in a liberal stronghold and that is exactly what I’m hearing from my peers.

HebrewToYou on January 4, 2008 at 7:14 PM

When you say your peers, do you mean fellow conservatives? You live in a state that thinks the Arnold is a conservative.

Listen, I loathe Huck but I don’t think the Bush comparison is valid.

In a primary election there is nobody to blame but your fellow party members. In a general election you cannot avoid certain fate.

HebrewToYou on January 4, 2008 at 7:34 PM

That’s not entirely true. What about Independents?

Buy Danish on January 4, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Important reminder:

YEEEAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

(shamelessly stolen from Dave in Texas at Ace’s)

bamapachyderm on January 4, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Fred is looking for more people to sign up as “friends of Fred”

bnelson44 on January 4, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Good news for Mitt…..

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio will campaign with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in New Hampshire, the next battleground in the 2008 presidential race.

csdeven on January 4, 2008 at 9:24 PM

A general election, however, is not similar to a primary. Anyone can vote for anyone, regardless of party affiliation. This is a subtle but important difference. I hope you can come to terms with it. Ultimately, you — as an Iowa Republican — have to be held responsible for the results within your state. I’m not saying YOU are to blame, but the Republicans within your state surely are. And I imagine you count yourself among them.

You do realize that Iowans can change their affiliation at the caucus right? So anyone can vote for anyone at the caucus as well, just as they can in a general, they just have to change their affiliation on the spot. Do you have any idea how many people weren’t registered Republican when they walked into the caucus? I know I don’t. I do know that there were several in my precinct that weren’t however.

I consider myself a conservative, I’m registered as a Republican in order to vote in primaries. The attacks haven’t just been on Republicans, they’ve been on all Iowans.

LoL. When in doubt, call a conservative Californian a liberal. Works every time. I don’t fit the bill, however.

I said you sound like a liberal because you are being very “nuanced,” thats a liberal trait. Other liberal traits include calling everyone who disagrees with you an idiot and refusing to take things to their logical conclusion. If everyone is at fault for the results of a caucus as you claim, then yes everyone is at fault for the results of the general.

It’s the MO when a non-regular comments, especially when there’s disagreement or misunderstanding (which is usually the case that provokes a newbie to respond). Happened to me here and at other high-traffic blogs. Don’t let it get you down and stay dry!

–a fellow Conservative Californian but not a fellow

baldilocks on January 4, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Who me? I’m a regular. I however have never seen him here before.

Gianni on January 4, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Comedy break… The Onion has the deciding factor.

MT on January 4, 2008 at 3:09 PM

THANK YOU!!! sadly it’s so true!

Aggie85 on January 4, 2008 at 9:57 PM

VP for President! The truth is often funny. Cheers to VP!

Hammerhead on January 4, 2008 at 10:24 PM

Re evangelism, please see: thejackal on January 4, 2008 at 4:46 PM

I believe I made that matter very plain, and with all due respect to believers.

thejackal on January 4, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Yeah – I read that. It showed an ignorance of the history of Christianity in the United States, the development of Evangelicalism as a theological movement – academically, as well as on a popular level (hence entagor’s mention of a pervasive confusion with what/who the term refers), and relied on a flawed semantic argument.

nailinmyeye on January 4, 2008 at 10:34 PM

“corn sucking idiots” I’ll use this every day in some sort of sentence for the next month!

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOVE IT. Thanks for making me laugh in this political hell we find ourselves in today.

Posted by: Constant Reader at January 4, 2008 08:58 PM

Sorry, I have apparently snapped and I just can’t help myself any more. This is the last comment posted at VP. Too funny.

I know this is not in the least bit helpful, as we will need to a) bring these corn-sucking idiots under some kind of control, and then b) get them to show up and vote for Mitt or Fred in the general election. I’ll be better tomorrow, I promise.

Jaibones on January 4, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Huckabee is the SuperCuts version of John Edwards.

Posted by: V the K at January 4, 2008 10:38 AM

Heh.

Jaibones on January 5, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Now where we seen that before..

But yes, as to headlines like that, good to see the right side is already learning to have as much class as the left.

Reaps on January 5, 2008 at 12:12 AM

csdeven,

You realize of course that Sheriff Joe doesn’t really like Romney. No one really likes him except Hugh Hewitt, and he’s an awful candidate, dontcha know.

Buy Danish on January 5, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Fred is trying to collect $540k by Jan 11th. He has collected $110 so far today. He needs your help go to:

Also sign up to be a friend of Fred, and refer your friends:

bnelson44 on January 5, 2008 at 12:19 AM

I’m not voting for Huck or any other Republican but I have to sit back and laugh at the reaction to Huck’s win. I guess pissing off the christian base wasn’t such a good idea eh?

I guess he’s the closest they could get to an actual third party candidate (because he certainly isn’t a true conservative…but then who is in this primary?) so they threw their support his way.

IMO, the only way the Republicans pull out a win this year is if the Dems are dumb enough to send Hillary up.

Benaiah on January 5, 2008 at 1:43 AM

The more this junk goes on the farther into the Huckabee camp you (not you as in Allah or HotAir) are going to push most evangelicals. I’m not a Huckabee guy, but I find myself spending most of my time defending him or at least his supporters because I know many of them and they believe Huckabee to be the best candidate on the issues. They are not stupid or ignorant.

Well said. Ditto.

sanantonian on January 5, 2008 at 1:53 AM

Good! Ditto!

sanantonian on January 5, 2008 at 1:55 AM

Bryan–…

his tactics are a sure way to divide the party and hand the reins to the Democrats.

You corn-sucking idiot. Just because a bunch of self-described evangelicals back Huckabee, doesn’t mean conservatives should go Lewinski on him. You sound like a Clintonista.

doufree on January 5, 2008 at 7:11 AM

Gah! Amen to Vodka Pundit! But BTW, doesn’t Obama believe in Jesus too? Why isn’t he portrayed as an “evangelical” as well? And he’s a Church of Christ goer; a most definite competitor to the southern Baptists.

But anyway, all I know is that I’ll be walking around for the next month, or so, working in the quote “corn-sucking idiots” in my daily dialogue. Ya gotta love the VP.

c.a. Marks on January 5, 2008 at 8:01 AM

I’d have less problem with Huckabee and his supporters if he (and they) stopped lying by calling him a conservative. His own handlers slipped up in the Washington Post:

His aides are wary of New Hampshire. “It’s all no tax, no government there,” said Bob Wickers, a top strategist. “It’s not ideal.”

No, conservatives aren’t an ideal audience for a closet liberal Jimmy Carter clone.

rightwingprof on January 5, 2008 at 8:18 AM

sanantonian on January 5, 2008 at 1:53 AM

I’m curious – what issues do your Huckabee supporting friends agree with him on?

I like his position on the Fair Tax. He’s appoint conservative jurists, but so would Romney, Rudy and Fred (Not so sure about McCain). Can’t think of anything else.

rightwingprof on January 5, 2008 at 8:18 AM

Good one!

Buy Danish on January 5, 2008 at 8:57 AM

Buy Danish on January 5, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Well, we did get one commenter here on HA that gave Mitt kudos for getting that endorsement. Joe is a very popular figure and I’d hope the media will give him the coverage he usually gets. That could be a big boost for Mitt.

csdeven on January 5, 2008 at 9:17 AM

csdeven on January 5, 2008 at 9:17 AM

I heart Joe and his no-nonsense approach. I heard his interview on FNC when he first announced his endorsement of Mitt. There’s probably good material there for a Mitt ad.

Buy Danish on January 5, 2008 at 10:32 AM

The damage is already done. What I saw in this thread and many others yesterday was as bigoted and elitist as anything I’ve seen on DKos or DU or the HuffPo.

I’ve read VP for a long time, he makes me laugh, but what I saw in the comments here was pure venom.

So much for the “Big tent” Huh?

I don’t march in lock step with the Republican platform, yet they’ve long had my vote because of national defense.

I believe that we are fighting a war for our way of life.
My husband has been there, done that – face to face in close quarters – while I stayed home and stood graveside while more than one of his brothers – one of we “cornsucking idiots” – was laid to rest with a bronze star and a purple heart pinned to his chest and a flag was handed to his mother or wife..

In a time of war I expected better than what I’ve seen here. Naive? Obviously.

But the litmus tests and the embrace of only “true conservatives”, the name calling and the arrogance truly saddened me.

You want the vote of those “corn sucking idiots”? Do you honestly think this thread or others have swayed those votes? It’s garbage like those threads that shoves people in the opposite direction.

Honestly, do any of you think that threats to take your ball and go home and calling names if people don’t vote the way YOU want them to persuades them to vote for your candidate?

All this thread has done is remind me that I’m a woman without a party. I’m not a Democrat and not a Republican – yet Republicans have had my vote for years because my Army husband has served under a Democrat during a time of “peace” and I saw the devastation of our military – there’s no way on earth I want him to serve under another one while he’s taking fire every danged day. Yet many of you are willing to abandon them while they do exactly that because it’s possible that the nominee won’t be your ideal.

Guess what? I’ve yet to vote for a candidate that is my ideal, yet Republicans have benefited from that many times in the last 18 years.

I’m not an evangelical, I’m not a Huck supporter and I’m not even a true Iowan as I’ve only lived here for 8 1/2 of my 47 years. But the crud I saw here yesterday only reminded me to switch my affiliation to independent when the elections are over.

So go ahead, call me names, I’m impure (like those who supported Joe Lieberman over Ned Lamont?) I’m stupid, I’m a cornsucking idiot, I’m inbred, I’m dangerous to your liberties – whatever.

Just be aware that you sure aren’t doing anything to help your candidate or your party, and in fact, just may be hurting them.

full disclosure: My husband was a precinct captain for Fred and though I still don’t feel like I support any candidate I gave Fred my vote as well, hoping to help keep him in the campaign while other undecideds make up their minds.

Tink on January 5, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Thanks and respect to your husband, his brothers, and you. Honestly and sincerely.

And, I think you are very right.

nailinmyeye on January 5, 2008 at 5:14 PM

He want’s YOU Malaki!

ronsfi on January 5, 2008 at 6:06 PM

sanantonian on January 5, 2008 at 1:53 AM

It seems the evangelicals like him most for his pro-life positions, as well as his unabashed admission that he is a believer.

Non-evangelicals seem to like his populist appeal. Huckabee’s line about how the average american would probably rather vote for a guy who reminds them of someone they work with than he would want to vote for a guy who reminds him of the guy who laid him off really seems to resonate.

I like his personableness. Nevertheless, I do not intend to vote for Huckabee in the primary. Duncan Hunter, Fred Thompson, and John McCain are the ones I can see voting for.

sanantonian on January 5, 2008 at 11:48 PM

You are so right on, dear. Some of these younger, secular, elitist “conservatives” are demoralizing to this old Reagan conservative.

It appears that they demand that we “cornsuckers” vote for THEIR candidates and then go home and shut up. We are “permitted” to vote for their guys — and do or say no more.

Note: Like you, I do not call myself a Huckabee supporter, either. Nonetheless, I find myself defending him from egregiously scurrilous attacks like VodkaP’s and others seen here in HA.

Finally, thank you for your husband’s service to our country. He is obviously a very brave and patriotic individual.

sanantonian on January 6, 2008 at 12:04 AM

I am waiting to see the first bumper sticker that says

‘I like Hike”

A guaranteed w(h)inner

MSGTAS on January 6, 2008 at 9:00 AM

With all the whining by the “poor, oppressed, disadvantaged, marginalized, disempowered” evangelicals here, I could be back on campus at any left-wing pity-fest. Poor you. Poor, poor, poor things! You’re so marginalized! You’re entitled to extra proxy votes! Your own little support group on campus, and we’ll force students to attend sensitivity seminars!

Please. I’m going to go barf now.

Look, if you are fooled by a left-winger into thinking that government can be used to effect any meaningful cultural change (feel free to try to find a few examples from the real world), then yes, you are an idiot. I don’t know about the corn-sucking part, but mouthbreather, absolutely.

rightwingprof on January 6, 2008 at 10:44 AM

sanantonian on January 6, 2008 at 12:04 AM

We just resent you Bahble thumpin leg humpin jeezuzfreex who only support him because he’s “God’s Man”. Raise taxes?
Who cares? Creationism taught as science? No biggie. Immigration Enforcement? Fuggedaboudid! Government-mandated universal health care? Bring it. Guantanamo Bay? Dump it!

Evangelicrazies are so brainwashed to accept anything any “minister” declares that they don’t give a crap what happens to the nation as long as Jeezuz is the Co-pilot.

Exit question.

Hows the Koolaid?

ronsfi on January 6, 2008 at 2:01 PM

sanantonian on January 5, 2008 at 11:48 PM

It take that back sanantonian. Not you but Iowa, da chillren o’da corn.

ronsfi on January 6, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Note that this current comment is the first from me in this thread.

Red Pill on April 16, 2008 at 4:54 PM