Andrew Olmsted, RIP

posted at 3:57 pm on January 4, 2008 by Allahpundit

Killed yesterday in Iraq, his final blog post is up this afternoon.

I suppose I should speak to the circumstances of my death. It would be nice to believe that I died leading men in battle, preferably saving their lives at the cost of my own. More likely I was caught by a marksman or an IED. But if there is an afterlife, I’m telling anyone who asks that I went down surrounded by hundreds of insurgents defending a village composed solely of innocent women and children. It’ll be our little secret, ok?…

[W]hile you’re free to think whatever you like about my life and death, if you think I wasted my life, I’ll tell you you’re wrong. We’re all going to die of something. I died doing a job I loved. When your time comes, I hope you are as fortunate as I was.

Obsidian Wings thinks he’s probably one of the guys mentioned here.

Comments

Rest in peace

joewm315 on January 4, 2008 at 4:01 PM

if you think I wasted my life, I’ll tell you you’re wrong.

I wish the people he was talking to were listening.

The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” – G.K. Chesterton

MT on January 4, 2008 at 4:07 PM

If there’s a Heaven, and I believe there is, Major Olmsted is there…

amerpundit on January 4, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Okay, that is my justified crying for today. No more.

Godspeed.

MadisonConservative on January 4, 2008 at 4:11 PM

I couldn’t even read to the end. I think I have something in my eye.

Good show, Andrew Olmsted.

Enrique on January 4, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Thanks for the sobering reality check, AP. May you rest in peace Andrew. My condolences to all who knew him.

infidel on January 4, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Rest in peace, Andrew Olmsted.

BKennedy on January 4, 2008 at 4:25 PM

I salute you, Andrew.

geckomon on January 4, 2008 at 4:30 PM

God bless a true American.

ctmom on January 4, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Man. Talk about an emotional trip. Godspeed Andrew Olmsted. I wish I’d known you.

Sue on January 4, 2008 at 4:32 PM

I am so watching Team America tonight. Godspeed Maj. Olmsted.

KelliD on January 4, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Wow. From a grateful nation, thank you. May God welcome you with open arms to the reward you richly deserve.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on January 4, 2008 at 4:35 PM

This ain’t exactly vintage 80’s, but I think it will do.

There’s a spotlight waiting
No matter who you are
‘Cause everybody’s got a song to sing
Everyone’s a star
(Everybody’s got to be a star)

If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there’s a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they’ve got a hell of a band

R.I.P.

Catseye on January 4, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Anyone that insists that our military is filled with illiterate losers that have nowhere else to go should be forced to read this man’s last words before getting a good arse kicking.

The price we are paying in this war of brilliant, courageous and honorable men is heartbreakingly high and some of the morons back home they fight and die to defend sadly remain, unwise by the event.

I am very grateful to him, and those with him and their families for their sacrifice for mine and my family’s safety and freedom.

God bless you, sir.

Hening on January 4, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Well, I wish the people there would listen to him. From what I’m reading of Obsidian Wings…. they don’t particularly care for patriots.

Still, God bless you Major Olmsted. And best wishes to your family!

Vanceone on January 4, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Thank you for giving the ultimate sacrifice. Words could never express my gratitude for you serving so that I can live free. Thank you. God bless your family.

wytammic on January 4, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Bless his brave heart.

tree hugging sister on January 4, 2008 at 4:50 PM

This Andrew Olmsted is a remarkable credit to his peers, and we are immeasurably in his debt.

Godspeed Andrew.

phile on January 4, 2008 at 4:58 PM

:salute: :(

trailortrash on January 4, 2008 at 4:59 PM

I think people need to stop and think just why this hits us. We are different than the terrorist. Someone we dont know, dies in this war, and we start to doubt our reasons for being there. That is not a bad trait, though we need to re-focus on the fact this is a very important fight, and the cost will be huge, some will be effected more than others, but it has to be fought.

But that does not make it any easier on us as we struggle with the losses. We mourn a man dieing who we do not know, Jihadist strap suicided bomber belts to their kids, and celebrate their death for killing infidels.

That is what makes us different. I have never read anything by Andrew until his final post. Yet he touches you and makes you think about the cost, and that is not a bad thing, and that is why we are different. We cherish every life, leaving the fetuses out of this for now.

WoosterOh on January 4, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Thank you Andrew Olmsted.

You and your brethren soldiers fill our hearts with pride. We pray for those still standing and weep at your loss.

fogw on January 4, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Godspeed, Andrew.

Lawrence on January 4, 2008 at 5:46 PM

May his Soul and all the Souls of the Faithfully Departed Rest in Peace.

Zorro on January 4, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Some men/women are definitely our betters.

Entelechy on January 4, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Wow.

You left behind more than you know, soldier. And I don’t think you have any need to apologize.

God Bless.

AP, if there is a fund for this family, please post the link.

BacaDog on January 4, 2008 at 6:17 PM

No onions needed,
I only knew you by this last post and that is more than enough for me to be saddened by your death. You and your family will be in my prayers.
May God Bless you Andrew Olmsted.

abinitioadinfinitum on January 4, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Condolences to Amanda and Andy’s family. There are no words to express the sadness I feel for this complete stranger, but there are many tears that can speak for me.

What is remarkable is that he was prepared for this eventuality, and in death, he’s able to console all of us with his own words, written in life. These words will not die, they will live on in many people’s hearts and minds, and so will the sacrifice this brave man offered in service to his country. What is greater? This man, or the country who could offer such a man to world?

God bless Andy, as well as all of us who are a part of this great nation… God bless America.

Califemme on January 4, 2008 at 7:27 PM

RIP, soldier. Thank you for your sacrifice. God bless.

sandman on January 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM

So do I.
God bless…a man who dies and says a prayer for us…

right2bright on January 4, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Major, godspeed exploring beyond the rim with G’Kar and Dr. Franklin.

TheEJS on January 4, 2008 at 8:05 PM

Thank you for your sacrifice, Andrew. RIP :(

Afterimage on January 4, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Oh man, that is tough. RIP Andrew.

kahall on January 4, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Some men/women are definitely our betters.

Entelechy on January 4, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Yes’m. I’m not worth his spit. Neither are most folks I know.

And I will be grateful for his Life till the day mine ends.

God speed the young Major on his way. Bless his family and his Men. Keep them safe from harm. And cover them with the wings of angels when they go.

Subsunk out.

Subsunk on January 4, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Now that’s the kind of person that makes America the Great Country it is.

oldernslower on January 4, 2008 at 11:36 PM

My Brigade is much the less with MAJ Olmstead and CPT Casey being gone…

major john on January 5, 2008 at 1:01 AM

His last blog kind of reminds me of the movie Braveheart when William Wallace makes the statement “every man dies, but not every man lives”. MAJ Olmstead gave more in his cut short life than most can ever conceive of giving.

See you at the next objective Major.

MSG(R), USA