A pair of “honor killings” in Texas Updated: The girls were scared of their dad Additional updates

posted at 6:06 pm on January 2, 2008 by Bryan

The girls were 17 and 18, named Sarah and Amina, and police in the affluent Dallas suburb of Las Colinas say he killed them in his own cab and is still armed and considered dangerous. WFAA-TV in Dallas says that police believe they have him surrounded in a residential area of Lewisville, TV. Now, the details.

They believe the girls’ father, Yaser Abdel Said, is in one of the houses on the block.

Police are also looking at the motives which may have led Said to possibly murder his two teenage daughters, one of whom called 911 from a cell phone near the spot where the girls were later found.

Police say they are looking into the possibility that the father was upset with his daughters dating activities.

“It’s something well worth looking into,” said OFC David Tull of Irving Police.

The man’s wife is fully cooperating with inquiries, police said.

Police said earlier in a statement that the man was a suspect in the girls’ deaths.

Atlas has one of the girls’ MySpace page linked up.

This is obviously the key sentence at this point:

It could still turn out that the man is simply crazy for reasons unrelated to the girls’ dating activities, though we’ve been through enough of these stories now to have reason to think it’s not simple craziness that led to this. Sara Carter reports in the Washington Times today that police are starting to take notice of things like “sudden jihad syndrome,” which could lead them to examine similar and related pathologies. None too soon.

Update: Fishwrap has a round-up of blog coverage.

Update: From Fishrap again.

Sisters, Amina, 18, and Sarah, 17, were each shot to death. Friends of the girls say their father was Egyptian and critical of popular American lifestyles. “I’m definitely 100% sure that it was her dad that killed her,” said Kathleen Wong, a friend of the dead teenagers.

Wong says the girl’s father was verbally abusive and that Sarah, especially, lived in fear. “She’s always told me that she was always so scared of her dad,” says Wong. “Even at school if a teacher joked around like, ‘I’m gonna tell your parents about this’, she would like totally flip out and start crying like, ‘please don’t tell’.”

Also, Said was not in the Lewisville house that the police had surrounded earlier. So he’s still presumably on the loose. There’s video of their friend talking about the father at the link.

Update: A Hot Air reader found these pics of Sarah and her friend Kathleen Wong, just clowning around and being teenage girls.

6prnrci.jpg

6z7jty9.jpg

80ufkgl.jpg

85n9rvq.jpg

Update: Once again from Fishwrap, we learn what we already suspected about the Said family’s religion.

“Amina was very nice with everybody. She helped me in [Advanced Placement English] class,” she said. Sarah was a sophomore when she took an Algebra II class with Liz, who was a junior at the time.

She said the sisters, who wore typical American clothes, didn’t talk much about their family. “I didn’t know they were Muslims until she told me they were Egyptian and Muslim,” Liz said.

The story has more detail about the family, the killings and Amina and Sarah. The girls’ friends describe them both as very bright.

This may sound crass and it probably is, but it’s one thing to hear about these repulsive so-called “honor killings” occurring in Europe or even Canada, but Dallas is my hometown. I know what Texas justice is likely to do with Mr. Said if he’s caught and convicted, but that won’t bring those girls back and it won’t replace the sense of violation that I personally got from what he did. This isn’t some place far away we’re talking about, it’s Dallas, the buckle of the Bible belt and a city that’s as American as you can get. To say that this act makes me angry gets near the surface of what it makes me think about things right now.

Update: From Amina’s MySpace page.

amina-mspage.png

Update: Gateway Pundit points to another apparent “honor killing” in Chicago. This one doesn’t involve Islam, but rather India’s disgusting caste system.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The Race Card on January 2, 2008 at 11:15 PM

asc85 on January 2, 2008 at 11:22 PM

I didn’t mean any disrespect. My point is that it always seems like these horrors happen to the best among us…the prettiest, the smartest, the kindest.

These two sweet, beautiful girls are dead forever. No matter how many switches are pulled or nooses are tied or bullets are fired will change that. The girls were good, he is evil, they were beutiful, he is ugly. Their positions should be reversed, not evened. Unfortunately that won’t happen.

I wish there were a way to screen people like this out before birth. The only good thing he ever did in his life was bring his children into the world, and he even managed to screw that up. He doesn’t deserve to die, he deserves to suffer for eternity without reprieve or appeal. But for the time being, death will have to do.

fusionaddict on January 3, 2008 at 6:19 AM

[quote]My D&D geekiness comes out.

Islam is an Evil alignment religion. I see it in action here. I see it reading the blogging of the Quran.

I’m inclined to believe that Muhammad is a Prophet, that he did hear a Voice, but it was the voice of the Devil masquerading as God. There is a Christian saying: “Even the Devil can quote Scriptures”.[/quote]

If you want it in basic human terms – they worship a frikkin’ warlord. So when they kill their daughters, hang gays, commit genocide, commit pedophilia and polygamy um…

Dude… they worship a frikkin’ warlord.

thareb on January 3, 2008 at 6:47 AM

I’m still wanting more information on this. As far as I can tell there is no REAL evidence that this was an honor killing. Seems that dad was just nuts.

Nutty Dad = Tragic incident

Jihadi Dad = talk with his friends and determine how many of his buddies have similar mind sets. Take them out to the scrub of west texas and have a very passionate discussion.

Pilgrim on January 3, 2008 at 7:44 AM

Muslim apologists will claim that “honor killings” aren’t a part of Islamic doctrine, and they may even be technically correct. That doesn’t negate the fact that such killings occur almost exclusively in Islamic societies.

flipflop on January 3, 2008 at 6:09 AM

NEWSFLASH: Today, on January 3, 2008, the hardcopy edition of the New York Times carried a story about a presumably non-Muslim honor killing in Chicago, in which a father, Subhash Chander, killed his pregnant daughter, son-in-law and 3 year-old grandson “because he disapproved of his daughter’s marriage” to a lower-caste man. All the protagonists are from India or are of Indian origin. So far, I can find no coverage of the Texas honor killing by a Muslim father in the pages of the Paper of Record.

jihadwatch.com

zane on January 3, 2008 at 8:10 AM

Upon hearing of the horrific and barbaric murders of these beautiful young woman, moderate Muslims all over the country took to the streets and the airwaves in widespread and angry condemnation of the practice of honor killing…oh, never mind. Ain’t gonna happen. Ever.

Correction: Upon hearing of the horrific and barbaric murders of these beautiful young woman, moderate Muslims all over the country…say…nothing.

Update: Moderate Muslims all over the country seethe over criticism of their refusal to condemn honor killings.

Update: Media says honor killings have nothing to do with the Muslim faith.

Update: Media stops talking about honor killings.

Update: Honor killings continue They are called “domestic violence” and domestic violence happens “in all kinds of families.” Most people buy it. Until it’s too late.

Rational Thought on January 3, 2008 at 8:14 AM

This is sickening. These two beautiful young woman murdered by the one who is charged with protecting them as I protect my daughter and son. While I lived in Kuwait this sort on thing happen on more then one occasion. The talk among the office clerks (all men of course)was about honor and family. I never could get close to any of those people because of the way they treated the woman in thier “family” — it was really quite disturbing. I left soon after my daughter was born…

jimwesty on January 3, 2008 at 8:52 AM

How about the possibility this guy was a sleeper and he just couldn’t handle the sleeper life style; you know living the American life in a large way. Kind of like going to strip clubs before you fly into buildings. How about the possibility that he killed them because what is going to go down is about too so he felt free to regain his honor?

jmarcure on January 3, 2008 at 8:56 AM

THe news in Dallas is saying that the murders were possibly over a domestic dispute. Are they scared to say honor killing or is that not in their vocabulary? Unless it’s the American crazy reason for a Dad to kill his own kids, “a bitter divorce.”

Drtuddle on January 3, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Just heard the local radio news say it might be an “honor killing”

Drtuddle on January 3, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Zane,

That indeed was an example of a multiple murder by a non-Muslim. No one has stated that murder is exclusive to the Islamic community, but rather is a new trend, honor killings in the West, that is becoming apparent and the mass of apologists that try to obfuscate the correlation.

The piece from jihadwatch.org you quoted was written to show exactly what I just said, that the non-Muslim murderer is all over the papers, but nary a mention of the latest murders in Texas.

It is people like you who use McVeigh as an example of “Christian fundamentalism” as absurd as that claim was and is, to offset the waves of the jihadists.

It is people like you, like the biased thugs who control the print, that Robert Spencer was alluding to and chastizing.

awake on January 3, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Welcome to this awful club, Bryan. I felt the same way when the “honor” killing is St. Louis occurred.

srhoades on January 3, 2008 at 9:18 AM

This guy is in big trouble. If he goes to prison, those boys will introduce him to genuine agony. Why do we let these fools into this country?

saiga on January 3, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Hotair.com just got a mention on the Mark Gallager show about this atrocity. (660 Dallas)

Kevin M on January 3, 2008 at 9:57 AM

I hate to be an armchair quarterback, but why didn’t someone notify the authorities about this? Her friend obviously knew there was something seriously wrong at home – why not call the police, or CPS? I’m certainly not in favor of the state getting involved in family disputes, but it seems this went much deeper.

It reminds me of the story from last summer about the two gays in England who were habitually abusing their foster boys, yet everyone was afraid to say anything for fear of being labeled “homophobic” (which is a ridiculous, nonsensical word, but that’s another story). I have to wonder if this Wong girl, or anyone else, was afraid to say anything because they’re Muslim.

fourstringfuror on January 3, 2008 at 10:12 AM

We have to now feel their pain and understand their feelings. Whether its Muslims or illegals, its all the same. They are taking over our Country and until we get leadership in DC that sees this forthcoming coup, we as a Country are in deep, deep doo-doo.

This Country is becoming filled with whiney, bleeding heart wusses. Thus, I see nothing but trouble on the horizon.

Right on.

America’s in for a rough road as the pendalum starts swinging back. A lot of lefty thinking is going to have to be slapped down. Our nation, our culture and our souls are at stake. At least these muslim fools aren’t flying their flags in our streets. YET. (bet they are in England and France)

Ernest on January 3, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Here is a link to a photo of one, maybe both

WoosterOh on January 2, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Amina’s eyes remind me of the NatGeo Afghan girl

ttevolla on January 3, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Just realized my link burp.

sorry ’bout that.

ttevolla on January 3, 2008 at 10:39 AM

No this isn’t “extremist-radical-hijacked-Islam”, this is just your every day Muslim behavior. The guy might even just be one of those “moderate” Muslims that so many have mentioned with favor.

BL@KBIRD on January 3, 2008 at 1:21 AM

There is no such thing as a moderate and true muslim, only westernized muslims. And the westernized muslims are infected with the same post modern moral relativism that will eventually kill the west. Truly enlightened muslims are former muslims.

peacenprosperity on January 3, 2008 at 4:31 AM

100% correct.

Redhead Infidel on January 3, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Strange. I see no mention of this on HuffingtonPost or DailyKos. Must just be an oversight.

greggish on January 3, 2008 at 11:13 AM

jmarcure on January 3, 2008 at 8:56 AM

I’d say STOP watching the “Bourne” films with Matt Damon.

asc85 on January 3, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Because it is a cultural issue!

I’m very pessimistic about the future. I fear europe is already gone. The lower classes, who have been taught by socialism that they are victims and have a right to what everyone else has, will convert to islam in a flash because they see it as a way to gain power. Just like in russia with communism and in germany with the nazis. The ruling elite will flood to the west, and most likely the US because it’s easier to get in here then it is to get in Australia or New Zealand, and they will not have learned a thing. They will bring their socialism and post modern moral relativism to the US and hasten the end. I worry more about our immigration issues for that then I do about mexicans.

peacenprosperity on January 3, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Tim Burton on January 3, 2008 at 12:14 AM

{{{sheepdog}}}

RushBaby on January 3, 2008 at 11:22 AM

I’d say STOP watching the “Bourne” films with Matt Damon.

asc85 on January 3, 2008 at 11:15 AM

I never seen them.

Is that what they are about? Sleeper agents. Sorry I guess it’s a movie thing and they don’t really exist. My bad.

jmarcure on January 3, 2008 at 11:25 AM

What is it about Muslim men and driving a cab? Is it part of something bigger, or what. I don’t get it.

deadbackpacker on January 3, 2008 at 11:54 AM

MERCY JESUS. Amen,amen

lobosan5 on January 3, 2008 at 12:05 PM

I am sure NOW will be all over this…NOT

RobCon on January 3, 2008 at 1:07 PM

fusionaddict on January 3, 2008 at 6:19 AM

I hear you. And it does suck. They were beautiful; they were full of life despite having a murderous ogre as a dad. This whole thing just makes me ill.

We are all a little screwed up over this. It’s awful. I appreciate your response.

The Race Card on January 3, 2008 at 1:17 PM

“Honor” killing. The only answer for social retards who can’t socially compete with normal men for a woman’s favor.

Women shun losers … and a 7th Century Islami’tard in a modern country is a good definition of “loser”. They can’t get wives without using death threats.

Kristopher on January 3, 2008 at 1:58 PM

What should be understood here is that this honor killing is a botched one. It is not supposed to reach the publics ears openly.

And this means there are many small mounds in parks and backyards in North America from more discreet actions.

And they were only shot to death apparently? They were lucky. Some honor killings get very unpleasant with blades and mass rape from aggrieved uncles and male cousins. This would be for a grievous indiscretion like being seen with the wrong boy.

This one was poorly planned and executed and that is the only reason it came to our eyes.

BL@KBIRD on January 3, 2008 at 2:21 PM

The way to view honor killings done by Muslims who then whine that honor killings are not Islamic?

As well as “adopting” zero from the Hindus, they also adopted honor killing from them.

BL@KBIRD on January 3, 2008 at 3:26 PM

So sad. The last picture is filled with tragic irony.

Ugly on January 3, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Any bets on this killer being in Egypt or another Arab country? The girls were beautiful and had their lives ahead of them. A true tragedy.

Mooseman on January 3, 2008 at 4:12 PM

And we have heard what from the Mother?

PappaMac on January 3, 2008 at 5:55 PM

New Exit Question? Why doesn’t the law and order in either party president hopefuls make a statement about honor killings?

PrettyD_Vicious on January 3, 2008 at 6:00 PM

I think we all have a pretty good idea of what “Texas justice” is going to do to this waste of oxygen.

Ryan Gandy on January 3, 2008 at 6:54 PM

I see one of three conclusions to this sad case:

1. He kills himself rather than be captured.
2. Cops do to him what needs to be done.
3. Capture. Trial. Conviction. Injection.

thejackal on January 3, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Conclusion # 4

4. Special consideration for “Murdering while Muslim”… manslaughter.

BL@KBIRD on January 3, 2008 at 9:15 PM

there’s not a sane father in America that doesn’t think his little girl shouldn’t dress slutty.
ScottMcC on January 2, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Thanks for making that point, Scott. I was trying to figure out how to make that point without sounding like an apologist for the butcher. It has become totally invisible how degenerate our culture has become–we are so inured to it. I was checking out a new Jewish day school with my wife today; when we walked into the first classroom with the principal to check things out, all the kids immediately stood up. I almost fell over. And every classroom we went into, it was the same. That used to be everywhere. Speaking of education, if the father didn’t want them to dress/act that way, he should have raised them either in another way, or in another place. He’s the father; it’s on him. Instead, he looks at them, realizes he’s failed to raise them according to his values, and blames. . .them. What a piece of crap.

smellthecoffee on January 3, 2008 at 9:45 PM

To all the Muslim bashers. Another case in Texas involving a devout Christian ended in the death of her 4 kids. Andrea Yates is who I am talking about. She claimed the Devil made her do it…

People devolve quite quickly. It’s a flaw I guess. It takes a lot of training and good upbringing / values not to succomb to the primal.

Still people like this and Andrea Yates do the unbearable to their own children.

James on January 4, 2008 at 10:37 PM

To all the Muslim bashers.

You are a moron, fatally infected with moral relativism. Yates was insane. Honor killings are commended in the muslim culture. Don’t you ever read the news, you idiot? muslim honor killings not only happen all the time in muslim controlled countries, they are happening regularly in the west now. I apologize to the other readers here for the name calling, but I am highly offended by this jerkoffs comments and it’s a good thing I’m not in the same room as him.

peacenprosperity on January 5, 2008 at 7:49 AM

The flaw is called islam, you panty waste.

peacenprosperity on January 5, 2008 at 7:51 AM

smellthecoffee on January 3, 2008 at 9:45 PM

James on January 4, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Let’s get something straight here, you weak, pathetic self obsessed moral relativists. This muslim dirtbag didn’t kill those beautiful young girls because they were sluts. he killed them because they were joyful, free Americans. muslims hate America! It sounds like you two losers don’t have a fraction of the spirit and potential that these two murdered Americans had. Please move to belgium and stop breathing my air.

peacenprosperity on January 5, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Bryan, like you, I am even more stunned because I live in Dallas. Dear God, why such evil acts are perpetrated is beyond me.

Gatordoug on January 5, 2008 at 10:03 AM

James @10:37 (Mr. Islam?)

No no, thats your a$$, that other thing is your elbow.

BL@KBIRD on January 5, 2008 at 1:10 PM

“it takes lots of training and good upbringing/values not to succumb to the primal ”

lots of training?

succumb to the primal?

What culture did you grow up in James?

BL@KBIRD on January 5, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Smellthecoffee

Don’t bother to thank Scott, you still come off apologizing for Mr.Islam.

“how degenerate our culture has become”?

I hear Mr.Islams talk like that all the time.

BL@KBIRD on January 5, 2008 at 1:30 PM