Hmmm: Praise for Mitt, knocks on Huck on Rush’s front page

posted at 3:00 pm on January 1, 2008 by Allahpundit

Got a couple of e-mails this morning noting the conspicuous uniformly positive treatment of Romney and negative treatment of Huckabee at Limbaugh HQ. He’s back on the air on Thursday, i.e. Caucus Day, I believe. Omens of a dramatic, potentially election-affecting eleventh-hour endorsement? Talk amongst yourselves.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

In the pocket of?

bnelson44 on January 1, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Allah, which candidate would you say is the biggest threat to Huck’s continued rise? If Mitt, Rush might not be “supporting” Mitt so much as supporting him in order to knock back Huckabee.

amerpundit on January 1, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Eh, I question that, he’s had positive things to say about Fred, its obvious he hates Huckabee, I have a hard time believing he’d support Romney because of Romneycare AKA, framework and foundations for universal healthcare. Besides, Romney’s a Nanny too, he wants to use the sword of government to force you to own only socially acceptable firearms and socially acceptable entertainment. That is not conservatism.

Bad Candy on January 1, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Rush doesn’t usually endorse. Even though Huck picked a stupid fight, I don’t think that will change.

Dirthead on January 1, 2008 at 3:06 PM

In the pocket of?

Nah, Hewitt’s taking up all the room in there already.

Slublog on January 1, 2008 at 3:07 PM

If he had the guts, Huck would be talking to Rush instead of Jay.

jgapinoy on January 1, 2008 at 3:07 PM

No endorsements in the primaries, with the possible exception of when it becomes a two-man race.

Spirit of 1776 on January 1, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Rush won’t endorse one or the other, but he will tell it like it is and it is time to thin the field. I’m looking forward to a body… delivered to the Huskster.

Zorro on January 1, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Body slam that is!

Zorro on January 1, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Ah, see Rush is highlighting this article. Summary:

With just three days remaining until the critical first-in-the-nation Iowa caucuses, Mitt Romney is enjoying a lead over Mike Huckabee in a new poll released Sunday.

Also on Rush’s front page are articles about the drive-by media wanting Huckabee to win in Iowa and “What if Huckabee Wins Iowa?”.

amerpundit on January 1, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Rush only jumps in when candidates are way over the liberal line and thats the territory the Huckster and McShamnesty land in.

Speakup on January 1, 2008 at 3:13 PM

First you guys dismissed the oracle Tammy, then the prophet Rick and now you mock the great and powerful Rushbo…what the he11 is wrong with you people…

doriangrey on January 1, 2008 at 3:13 PM

i thought rush was for fred. that was the theme of another “rush” thread a week or so back, wasnt it?

lorien1973 on January 1, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Who will Rush endorse pre South Carolina? That is the question. He put the wood to McCain in South Carolina, that and Karl Rove gave W the nomination.

Theworldisnotenough on January 1, 2008 at 3:40 PM

THIS comment is everywhere today. It’s obviously the Mitt-en talking point of the day.

Has everyone seen how Rush Limbaugh now has a section of his website praising Mitt Romney? Endorsment coming?

davenp35 on January 1, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Umm- he’s got the same amount on Hillary, maybe he’ll endorse her. Huckabee has about three times the space and the biggest picture is Obama.

I think you’re readin’ too much into this.

Dude, yer fallin’ for the Mitt spin.

Ex-tex on January 1, 2008 at 3:42 PM

I think Rush likes both Fred and Mitt (but realizes Fred’s numbers aren’t so great) and doesn’t like Huckabee. Having a section on his website with stories and transcripts praising Romney is about as close to an endorsment as it comes without actually saying so over the air. Some people will pay attention to this. Good for Mitt!

davenp35 on January 1, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Dude, yer fallin’ for the Mitt spin.

Ex-tex on January 1, 2008 at 3:42 PM

And you’re falling for the anti-Romney cynicism.

davenp35 on January 1, 2008 at 3:45 PM

I think you’re readin’ too much into this.

Dude, yer fallin’ for the Mitt spin.

Ex-tex on January 1, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Is he using that space to praise Obama, Hillary or Huck?

amerpundit on January 1, 2008 at 3:45 PM

If you start at the top of the right sidebar, you see the story is Romney’s lead in Iowa in some recent poll. Then you see the Romney links to what Rush has had to say about Mitt Romney. If Rudy was leading that poll, there would probably be a list of links to what Rush has said about Rudy. Same thing for McCain, Fred, Paul, etc.

Considering that Rush has stated that Fred Thompson is the only conservative in the Primary campaign, I don’t think his staff is doing anything with his page beyond just giving links to Rush’s statements about whatever story is in the news.

Rush has stated that he will not endorse anyone in the Primary part of the campaign and I think he will stick to that.

Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 3:46 PM

It isn’t the size of the picture, it’s the English next to it. Mitt’s part is the only positive commentary. Seems pretty plan to me that Rush prefers Fred and Mitt to Huck and o/c the Dems.

Spirit of 1776 on January 1, 2008 at 3:47 PM

If Rush does push Mitt instead of Fred then there will be something I disagree with him on. Oh well.

Rose on January 1, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Is he using that space to praise Obama, Hillary or Huck?

amerpundit on January 1, 2008 at 3:45 PM

He ain’t usin’ it to endorse’em. And he ain’t usin’ it to ENDORSE MITT EITHER. (he’s just slappin’ down Huckabee)

Ex-tex on January 1, 2008 at 3:49 PM

I read his site every day, those articles have been up for a long time. Look at one of them, its dated Feb. 6th 2007. Some are early to mid December and one is from May of 2007. They are transcipts of callers calling in.

broker1 on January 1, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Now now Michael, how dare you suggest objectivity on the part of El Rushbo. Know you not the dangers of putting words into the great and powerful Rushbo’s mouth…Oh wait…you weren’t putting words into Rush’s mouth, or even speculating on his possible motives…Never mind…

doriangrey on January 1, 2008 at 3:52 PM

davenp35 on January 1, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Oh, Christ on a pogo stick…whatever happened to picking a candidate based on position on the issues?

Hey, I know…let’s all root for the Patriots for the Super Bowl! Who cares if they cheated…they’re the obvious front-runner!

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 3:54 PM

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Sorry, davenp…not ranting at you. I’m just sick of this whole “I really like so-and-so, but I’m not sure he can win so I think I’ll support Johnny Douchebag instead” crap.

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Even more important than Rush or Leno: Carolyn Washburn.

Talk about being biased. But influential – just not what she intended!

fred5678 on January 1, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Bad Candy on January 1, 2008 at 3:06 PM

First, Rush has had positive things to say about Fred.

Second, you are misrepresenting Romney’s health care plan when you say it is like universal health care. There is no comparison between Mitt’s vision of the individual States devising their own plans/opening up markets/decreasing regulation and HillaryCare. One huge difference is that HilaryCare is funded through taxpayer dollars while Mitt’s plan only funds the poor, and uses money that is being wasted in places like emergency rooms to help pay for it.

I would be interested to hear Rush’s views on this, but I don’t know that he would object as much as you seem to think he would, depending on what the parameters were.

Getting rid of Federal programs like SCHIP altogether and moving to state run programs sounds like a very conservative approach to me.

Buy Danish on January 1, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Ex-tex on January 1, 2008 at 3:49 PM

You’re right; He hasn’t used it to endorse them or Mitt. He’s used the space to attack those three, while using the other space to praise Mitt.

I’m not saying he’s going to endorse Mitt. But making fun of the assumption he may, while saying maybe he’ll endorse Hillary because she has more space is ridiculous, too. It depends on what he’s using the space for.

amerpundit on January 1, 2008 at 4:02 PM

broker1 on January 1, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Exactly. I believe his staff simply put up his past transcripts of Mitt Romney discussion, because he, according to some recent poll (linked at the top of the right sidebar) shows Mitt Romney leading in Iowa.

He probably knows that people will look at those polls and think, ‘wow, I wonder what Rush has had to say about this guy who is now leading the polls’. So he posts them on his website for easy access.

He usually sets up his site to focus on the stories which are in the news at that particular point in time.

Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 4:02 PM

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Same here. Could not agree with you more.

Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Acually read some of the articles too. They aren’t shiny endorsements. One has a caller calling in saying the Romney campaign called her a bigot for asking about his Flip Flops and Rush doesnt know what to make of it.

Then he says this:

Let me take another stab at this Romney business. And, again, at the outset, as I have said repeatedly over the course of many previous years of service to America behind this, the Golden EIB Microphone, I endorse no candidate during primaries, unless somebody comes along and you just know. It hasn’t happened.

I stress again here: I am not endorsing anybody. That hasn’t changed. I analyze this stuff day-to-day as it goes

broker1 on January 1, 2008 at 4:05 PM

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 3:56 PM

I understand your point. I like Fred as well, but from my comments you can see I like Mittt more. The point I was trying to make is that at some point you have to pick from among the viable candidates. If Fred’s supporters want to stick it out through all the primaries, I completely understand.

davenp35 on January 1, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Even more important than Rush or Leno: Carolyn Washburn.
Talk about being biased. But influential – just not what she intended!

I cannot believe the abuse deceased equestrians take around here.

Slublog on January 1, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Err…make that “equines.”

But they’re still so…dead.

Slublog on January 1, 2008 at 4:06 PM

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 3:54 PM

We’re not electing a policy wonk. If that was the case we could just run the head of the Heritage Foundation, or something similar.

We need an executive and a decision maker who can lead the nation. I’m not saying that Fred can’t do that, but it takes more than having good positions on the issues.

Buy Danish on January 1, 2008 at 4:06 PM

…but it takes more than having good positions on the issues.

Buy Danish on January 1, 2008 at 4:06 PM

I respectfully disagree. And, for the record, I think we could do much worse than Mitt. But backing a candidate on the basis of polls and ability to raise funds is an unacceptable compromise of integrity, IMHO.

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 4:09 PM

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Bingo.

Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 4:12 PM

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 3:54 PM

I know I’m voting for Rosie Ruiz, since she knows how to win. I’m not concerned with how she wins. Just give me the win baby!!!

Signed, Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, and John McCain.

Gregor on January 1, 2008 at 4:13 PM

To further my point…

The tendency to back candidates based on “viability” makes polling a self-fulfilling prophecy. A guy (or two or three) jump ahead of the pack early in the process for whatever reason, and it’s game over for other candidates who may actually have broader appeal policy-wise than the front runners.

It stinks.

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 4:14 PM

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Didn’t you get the memo? In the new-world-order you’re not supposed to select the candidate that best represents your interests; you’re supposed to vote for the candidate that fares best in the current daily MSM polls, even though nine months from now the polls will be absolutely and totally irrelevant.

FloatingRock on January 1, 2008 at 4:17 PM

I am tired of polls and numbers. Anyone know what the size of the CROWDS are like? Before Bush was re-elected, he was filling arenas, and Kerry, as I recall, couldn’t get people in a parking lot. BUT the spin and polls were all about Kerry.

Who is packing them in, in Iowa? How big are Fred’s crowds? Mitt’s? Huck’s?

CrimsonFisted on January 1, 2008 at 4:19 PM

I know we can’t make writin’ about political polls illegal.
BUT could we make it illegal to take’em?? Just wonderin.

Ex-tex on January 1, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Signed, Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, and John McCain.

Gregor on January 1, 2008 at 4:13 PM

I’m waiting for companies to start offering endorsements to front-running candidates. Maybe Boeing, Raytheon and (*gasp*) Halliburton can start a trend, with company logos stuck to their candidates’ backs.

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 4:22 PM

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 4:09 PM

For the record I support Romney and Rudy equally with Fred in third place.

I did not address “viability”, I addressed leadership abilities versus being a policy wonk. One does not necessarily translate to the other.

In any case, I don’t think your polling scenario is holding up too well since they keep changing all the time. Or maybe I misunderstand you.

I do think the primary season has been shortened too much and that could have very negative consequences.

Buy Danish on January 1, 2008 at 4:22 PM

If you paid much attention to Rush Limbaugh, you’d realize there is nothing particularly “conspicuous” about him having good things to say about Republican Primary Candidates, either on his show or on his Web Site.

But you are right about the trashing of Huckabee. That is an Extremely Big Deal.

logis on January 1, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Huck leans so far left it just looks like conservatives are leaning away from him when they’re standing up straight.

saint kansas on January 1, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Who is packing them in, in Iowa? How big are Fred’s crowds? Mitt’s? Huck’s?

CrimsonFisted on January 1, 2008 at 4:19 PM

I don’t know if you can go by that. Ron Paul can draw a crowd. But if you look closely you’ll see that it’s *A* crowd – singular, not plural – of the same people who drive from one event to the next.

logis on January 1, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Buy Danish on January 1, 2008 at 4:22 PM

The polling scenario is holding up just fine, I think. Huck, Romney and McCain are in the lead, and it seems like people feel compelled to pick from one of those three. All I can say is thank gawd Ron Paul isn’t polling in the 20s or 30s.

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Rush has said on his show that he does not endorse candidates in a primary except in compelling situations. It seems clear that Rush is not enamored with Mike Huckabee, but while Rush did applaud Mitt Romney’s speech on religion, I don’t get the sense listening to Rush that Rush is so enamored of Romney overall to take the step of endorsing Romney at this point. To the contrary, I get the sense that Rush is watching the Republican race carefully but is not at the point of sayiong that a certain candidate is the one to go with.

Phil Byler on January 1, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Rush endorse Romney? I think that is wishful thinking. Rush coming on air and bashing the hell out of how liberal Huckabee is…I would bet on it.

Jay on January 1, 2008 at 4:46 PM

All I can say is thank gawd Ron Paul isn’t polling in the 20s or 30s.

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Don’t trust the polls regarding Ron Paul. The polls are only asking Republicans. The PaulBot campaign has been hitting up independents and Democrats to change Party affiliations to allow them to vote in our primary. It’s actually possible, and I would say likely that Ron Paul could do to the primary what his bots do to the polls. It would not shock me at all and I actually expect that he’ll end up beating out at least one of the main candidates.

Gregor on January 1, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Even more important than Rush or Leno: Carolyn Washburn.

Talk about being biased. But influential – just not what she intended!

fred5678 on January 1, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Dude, you scared the hel* outta me with that link. It was like that old email joke where yer lookin’ close at the screen and a zombie jumps out at ya.

Ex-tex on January 1, 2008 at 4:51 PM

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Agreed about Paul, and I suspect George Soros Dems are sending him money with the specific intention of screwing us. I hope that Fox continues to ix-nay his participation in the next debate. We need to have less people on that stage, and with Tancredo out and him out we can start having more meaningful debates.

But back to the polls, are you talking about national polls, or Iowa/NH/SC polls? I think your scenario makes more sense for Super Tuesday, but not at this point since they are still so in flux. McCain’s campaign was considered all but lost not too long ago, and Huck came out of nowhere.

Buy Danish on January 1, 2008 at 5:05 PM

If Rush was smart he should just come out against people *cough* Huck *cough*. That way he doesn’t have to break his “I don’t endorse rule”.

It would pretty much put a bullet in Huck’s chances without alienating any other candidate.

liberrocky on January 1, 2008 at 5:15 PM

David Limbaugh:

I must confess that Fred is the only one I don’t have major reservations about — apart from his electability. Yes, I worry that he supported McCain-Feingold and that he might not be a strong supply-sider. But on most issues, he seems reliably conservative and appears to have a solid and strong character. I do believe that with Fred, we know what we are getting.

I find his lack of “fire in the belly” refreshing. He strikes me as one of the few presidential candidates since Ronald Reagan whose primary motivation is not personal aggrandizement but rather serving and leading the nation in very troubled and dangerous times. I see him as almost being drafted into this project, and his refusal to drool publicly over the prospect of becoming the most powerful man in the world is positively delightful.

bnelson44 on January 1, 2008 at 5:15 PM

logis on January 1, 2008 at 4:34 PM

I agree, but it is another indicator, and a strong one. It might give us a better picture.
Bush = packed houses, SRO.
Kerry = A couple of wet poodles and their owners standing in the rain at a 7-11 parking lot.

And if it could be factored that the same people were at each, like a Grateful Dead Tour, then we would have a better idea of who is pulling in the crowds. Notice that the pundits NEVER talk about the crowds, except in the Obama/Oprah thing. That would upset their little information control cart I think.

CrimsonFisted on January 1, 2008 at 5:18 PM

I haven’t been following Paul’s campaign. Trevor Lyman singlehandedly managed to unleash the power of the internet and get the moneybags bundled for Paul. And he never voted before, but thinks Bush is a dictator and was unhappy that the Dems didn’t end the Iraq War.

I find the scenario that he did all this on his own a bit unlikely, but I suppose it’s possible.

Buy Danish on January 1, 2008 at 5:24 PM

It’s sort of like maybe sort of kindah Rush is implying that if he’s not going to endorse someone this is how he’d un-endorse someone in particular.

SouthernGent on January 1, 2008 at 5:26 PM

It stinks.

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Yep, it seems like only yesterday the high and mighty Republican voters were making fun of the “Anybody But Bush!” Democrat voters who got behind a flawed candidate named John Kerry, because he was “electable” and “viable”.

Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Interesting how Republican voters are now doing exactly what they made fun of the Democrat voters for doing in 2004. Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 5:42 PM

We also made an entire campaign out of Kerry’s flip flopping on major issues. Some of the Republican candidates have had more positions than a yoga instructor on very basic fundamental issues.

Mojave Mark on January 1, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Rush didn’t leave Fred……..

csdeven on January 1, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Mojave Mark on January 1, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Heck, I am sure someone creative could make a video of all the flip-flopping going on with the Republican voters, based on their support.

Were I talented at all with YouTube and such, I would put Bill Clinton heads on a bunch of people and have them reading papers and watching news stories and reading political blogs and sticking their fingers in the wind to test which way the political winds are blowing. And then have show them enthusiastically supporting a candidate… only to change after the next news story…. only to change after the next poll… only to change after the next political blog citing a poll or news story… only to change…

You get the idea.

It seems like the only group of people who stand loyally behind their candidate no matter the poll numbers are the Ron Paul supporters. Say what you will about their ridiculous tactics and some of his extreme supporters, I have talked with some of his more rational supporters and they are principled people who want real change in our nation’s politics. And they honestly believe Ron Paul can do that. Other than his extreme position on foreign policy, he could be doing a lot better. I have to say that I respect them a lot more for sticking by their candidate than people who keep running from supporting one campaign to another, based on which way the poll tells them to run each day.

Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 5:53 PM

AP,

I think the first four or five comments have it right. Not in the primary, certainly not before a vote is cast, and Rush’s history says that he is unlikely to actually endorse someone as he is to un-endorse someone. And he is openly un-endorsing Huckabee.

As are we, generally.

Jaibones on January 1, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Of Rush starts supporting Romney (and I’m not sure he is), he will be the pentultimate waterboy for the GOP throwing conservatism overboard for pragmatism as he did with Bushes 41/43.

Valiant on January 1, 2008 at 6:04 PM

If, not Of.

Valiant on January 1, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Rich Lowry-( NR editor, Romney Endorser ) on Mitt 12/31/07

He’s not an electrifying campaigner. He ends by promising to fight like “the dickens” for change. Like the dickens! That’s not going to send many people to the ramparts. Romney doesn’t make much of an emotional connection, but he has a certain solid-citizen, Ward Cleaver appeal. What he lacks in inspiration, he makes up with discipline and tirelessness as a campaigner. He hasn’t caught up to Huckabee because he’s better on the stump, but because he has more resources, more organization, and a better campaign team. He is a merely adequate campaigner who has run a very good campaign.

For Romney, change is competence.

Ex-tex on January 1, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Romney and Giuliani are way past that line as well, but I don’t see Rush trashing them like he does Huckabee and McCain.

2Brave2Bscared on January 1, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 5:42 PM

When it comes to swing voters, you can forget politics. Basically, just look at the candidates and ask: “Who would I rather buy a used car from?” And that’s who’s going to win.

By that standard, Clinton was pretty much a shoo-in. Gore came close; he looks like the kind of guy who might screw up the paperwork in your favor.

But Democrats pulled a boner in 2004. Instead of picking somebody at least THEY liked, they picked the stereotypical tall, tanned, plastic-haired manikin they thought every other sucker would buy a used car from. Bad idea. As it turned out, pretty much no one in America voted FOR Kerry; all Democrats had was the negative, and it’s almost impossible to win an election with just that.

logis on January 1, 2008 at 6:12 PM

logis on January 1, 2008 at 6:12 PM

logis- This is exactly what I see the Republican voters doing in this election. How many articles out there saying how much we need to “FEAR HILLARY!”? Probably the same as, if not more than, we saw of the “ANYBODY BUT BUSH!” articles leading up to 2004.

The way I see it, the Republican voters have become the Democrat voters of 2004. They are not looking for the candidate whom they like, they are looking for someone to beat Hillary.

I would really like to see some apologies from Republicans for making fun of Democrat voters in 2004, since the Republicans are using their strategy now in 2008.

Imitation the best form of flattery?

Well, as you note, the Democrats lost in 2004. So why are the Republican voters imitating their tactics?

Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 6:17 PM

FRED! FRED! FRED! FRED! FRED!
that’s all.

Ex-tex on January 1, 2008 at 6:20 PM

I got the sense Rush was leaning towards Romney a long time ago. Well before the huckabee rabble decided to offend probably the most influential conservative in America. Rush was very gentlemanly and fair about the stupid things huckabee was saying before the rift but I would think the gloves are off now.

peacenprosperity on January 1, 2008 at 6:37 PM

If y’all missed Mitt’s wife on C-SPAN…too bad. She’s very poised and would make us all proud as 1st lady. It’s still live on C-SPAN if you wanna flip over.

SouthernGent on January 1, 2008 at 6:38 PM

SouthernGent on January 1, 2008 at 6:38 PM

I went and saw Gov. Romney that night. Do not misunderstand me; if Gov. Romney is the Republican nominee for President, I will support him. His presentation was an event. His hair and teeth were perfect. He smiled. He pressed the flesh. His wife glowed as she stood next to him. Make no mistake; Gov. Romney wants to be President of the United States. Maybe that is why I do not trust him.

From: http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/post/?q=Y2RhN2UwMWRlMjRjOThjNDM3NGMxMzFmMzFkNGY2MTA=

bnelson44 on January 1, 2008 at 6:45 PM

peacenprosperity on January 1, 2008 at 6:37 PM

I listen to Rush pretty much every day at work and my feeling from his show is that he is being “gentlemanly and fair” to the Republican candidates in general, except to call them out when they stray from Conservatism. Or when he feels they are trying to redefine conservatism so as to call themselves “conservatives” based on the new definition. He has harped on that point quite a bit and I have heard him get pretty annoyed at this on numerous occasions. As he says, there is no need to redefine Conservatism. It wins every time it is tried.

Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 6:53 PM

bnelson44 on January 1, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah. He’s slick, too tanned, too plastic, teeth too nice, hair too perfect, just too darned…perfect.

Such depth of insight! Such original thinking! Such vital issues to concern ourselves with!

Buy Danish on January 1, 2008 at 7:15 PM

So, what is it with Rush’s refusal to pick a candidate and endorse him? Why does he (and other celebrity commentators) shy away from taking a stand?

The cynic in me says it’s all about access. If Rush were to back the wrong horse, he may not get the same access to the winning candidate.

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Buy Danish on January 1, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Sorry, he just reminds me of the guy who always was elected Prom King in my day (that was before it became fashionable to elect lesbians). Mitt has pretty much dolled himself and his family up and presented them to the American public as the Barbie and Ken all American family. He really, really wants to be president, and he will do anything to get the job. Sorry, that is a turn off for me.

bnelson44 on January 1, 2008 at 7:29 PM

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Access may be part of it, but what’s happened to Hugh Hewitt shows the dangers of picking one guy. If Limbaugh endorsed one of the candidates, people would evaluate everything he said based on that knowledge. It would be limiting.

Slublog on January 1, 2008 at 7:30 PM

flipflop on January 1, 2008 at 7:20 PM

LOL. It has nothing to do with him being a “celebrity” or not having access. He doesn’t even have guests on his show, so why on earth would he care about “access”? Not that any candidate would be foolish enough to cut off his “access” anyway.

He stands with “conservative principles” and he points out attributes and deficits but doesn’t endorse candidates in primaries.

Why don’t you listen to him when he comes back?

Buy Danish on January 1, 2008 at 7:35 PM

bnelson44 on January 1, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Puhlease. That is so ludicrous. He is what he is. He’s always been that way. It’s not an act that he put together for this campaign!

And I find it hilarious that so many conservatives complain that he’s too buttoned up, just like a …conservative.

Buy Danish on January 1, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Puhlease. That is so ludicrous. He is what he is.
Buy Danish on January 1, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Exactly.

bnelson44 on January 1, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Without direct endorement, Rush has been leaning to the Romney camp for some time. It isx not a strong field, but he

paulsur on January 1, 2008 at 7:56 PM

bnelson44 on January 1, 2008 at 7:46 PM

You implied very clearly that this is just an act he dreamed up. To complain that he’s too darned nice and attractive is mindboggling. Not to worry though! You are not alone in this assessment.

I could understand if it was the code pinko crowd who was complaining, but to hear this from conservatives sounds petty and partisan.

Maybe he needs to spend a week in a POW camp and get roughed up by some North Vietnamese Communists to meet your criteria?

Buy Danish on January 1, 2008 at 8:13 PM

I think Rush’s radio program to some is entertainment,
and to others educational,but I enjoy his style of mixing
politics throughout his three hours on the golden EIB.

Especially Liberal Moonbat’s who call in to discuss
how out of touch Republican’s are,ya I laugh my !ss
off on those calls,some shows if your lucky,you’ll hit
the jackpot,a BDS caller chimes in,hehe,never mind the
cow bell,reel out the rope,lot’s of rope.

If Rush is pushing for Mitt,he must have his reasons,I’m
sure he will elaborate,but lets not get confused a bit.
From what I’ve seen Republican’s for the most part check
out the stories,and the facts,Republican’s are not lock step mind-numbed robots,we leave that up to the Liberals.

canopfor on January 1, 2008 at 8:28 PM

From my perch up north,we are sick and tired of slick
lying willies.Period.

Mitt looks and acts of a stand-up guy,with integrity.
May the best candidate who gets caught up in his own lies and stories loose,the nominee.

canopfor on January 1, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Then you haven’t really been paying attention.

wccawa on January 1, 2008 at 8:34 PM

I’ve listened to Rush for a long time. The thing to remember is that he is a conservative first and a Republican second. With the size of his radio audience he does not have to worry about Republican access. He does not try to be a Republican “king maker”. He attempts to keep the Republicans “conservative”. He gives kudos to those who practice conservatism and gives brick bats to those that practice liberalism, whether Democrat or Republican. He normally does not endorse primary candidates at all—with exceptions when it gets down to a two man Republican race. If he thinks one of the candidates is too liberal on something then he will come out for the one he deems more conservative—but normally he does not go even that far.

He is mostly careful about Republican negativity because he does not want to have his words hanging out in cyberspace to be redirected back at himself in the General election when he is advocating for the Republican and against the Democrat. I think Huckabee crossed the line that Rush tolerates by making things to personal to Rush. That, coupled with Huckabee’s liberalism in a number of areas, is the reason Rush may drop a large load on Huckabee.

Also keep in mind that Rush leans Federalist.

maxine on January 1, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Then you haven’t really been paying attention.

wccawa on January 1, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Yeah, you’re right. I’m sure that’s it. And not the fact that there are probably more posts about this poll, that poll, everywhere a poll and its results and support going this way that way, upside down for every which candidate for the past two months on all the political websites on the web.

Nah, I just haven’t been paying attention. Sorry, I’ll pay attention more.

Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 8:45 PM

bnelson44 on January 1, 2008 at 7:29 PM

If that is what you think you have no clue about Mitt’s life. His family hasn’t had to change a thing.

And like Buy Danish said, those are not intellectual reasons NOT to vote for a candidate. Skewer him on his supposed flip-flops and missteps, but not on superficial appearance.

csdeven on January 1, 2008 at 8:47 PM

maxine on January 1, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Exactly right.

Of course, the Conservative and Republican blogosphere has done plenty of that (negativity about every Republican candidate), so all the Democrats have to do is go back in the archives of right-of-center blogs to dig up what is wrong with the eventual nominee and they can make their campaign commercials from that.

This is why I have never understood why people have gotten so nasty about all the candidates (except the one they support), because if the GOP nominee ends up being someone other than their candidate, they are left to say “yeah, I said a lot of negative stuff about him, but now I am saying vote for the guy I have been telling you for months does not deserve to be President”.

Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 8:53 PM

csdeven on January 1, 2008 at 8:47 PM

Exactly. If our primary campaign is based on “silly hats”, superficial appearance, red trucks, Jesus fish and other such superficial nonsense, then we deserve to have Hillary as President when we cannot even treat our primary in a serious manner.

Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 8:55 PM

“then we deserve to have Hillary as President”

Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Err, Michael, that’s going a little too far. Nobody deserves that!

maxine on January 1, 2008 at 9:02 PM

I’ve listened to Rush a long time.

Maxine on January 1,2007 at 8:38PM.

Maxine:Absolute glowing Kudos,in your comments you have
defined Rush Linbaugh,and the show perfectly.
If anybody is confused or not sure,your post
is a must read,and needs to be framed.

canopfor on January 1, 2008 at 9:07 PM

canopfor on January 1, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Thanks. I appreciate knowing that someone else sees what I see on a subject.

maxine on January 1, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Ooops,sorry,forgot the m,and not n on Limbaugh.

canopfor on January 1, 2008 at 10:26 PM

maxine on January 1, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Bingo.

Michael in MI on January 1, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Speaking of silly hats, if I hear one more person complain about Rudy having appeared in drag, I’ll…I’ll…Grrrrrr.

Actually to be perfectly honest, when I saw Huck with his dorky orange hat on it did nothing to improve my opinion about him. I think some of that sort of criticism is natural, But as far as Romney is concerned, he has always been attractive, always been conservative in his dress and appearance, he’s been married to his lovely wife for a very long time, she’s always been lovely, et cetera.

It’s not as if he’s a vain metro-sexual.

Buy Danish on January 1, 2008 at 10:34 PM

csdeven on January 1, 2008 at 8:47 PM

Excellent point. Except that, of course, no one makes fun of people like Mitt Romney and John Edwards because WE are superficial. Any grown man who spends four hours a day on hair care and defoliation gains points with a certain segment of the population, and that’s perfectly fine. But by the same token, he’s also taking on a significant burden when he asks normal people to take him seriously.

And no one is saying your man-crush is a “bad” thing; only that it’s not nearly as deep and spiritual as you feel the need to constantly constantly proclaim it to be.

logis on January 1, 2008 at 11:02 PM