Video: Slow learner says he’s learned we need to enforce our borders

posted at 1:37 pm on December 31, 2007 by Allahpundit

A little more “straight talk” for you, about two years too late. One wonders when he’ll “learn” that campaign finance reform isn’t a good idea, either. Give him another three or four congressional elections. He’ll figure it out.

The CEO of Strategic Vision says “trends” indicate a McCain/Romney showdown for the nomination, which I guess means they’re expecting Mitt to knock off Huck in Iowa and then be surprised by Maverick in New Hampshire. Here’s what I want from McCain for my endorsement: One hand on the Bible, one hand on a copy of “God Is Not Great,” and an American flag wrapped around his head like a bandana while he swears an oath that he will never, ever, under any circumstances support “amnesty.”

Although that really wouldn’t work either, would it?

Exit question: What about Safire’s idea of a McCain/Bloomberg ticket? Maverick’s main problem right now is money; Bloomberg’s problem is that a third-party run would probably fail. Each man solves the other’s dilemma, with McCain perhaps committing to a one-term presidency given his age with Bloomy then perfectly positioned as his anointed successor. Doesn’t sound like it’s in the offing, though, as Bloomberg’s supporters would rather issue garbage ultimatums to the two parties to put aside their differences — in the thick of a presidential campaign — or suffer a challenge from the world’s richest nanny

Comments

I’m never going to vote for you John. He’s lying again.

Zetterson on December 31, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Well, he’s got fire in the belly!

SECOND LOOK AT BOB DOL Um MCCAIN!

I missed the origin of the joke but Anwyn said everybody gets to use it one time, before it expires at midnight.

see-dubya on December 31, 2007 at 1:41 PM

A great place for slow learners: retirement.

Spirit of 1776 on December 31, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Our nations newspapers and lefty talking heads hate to use the term “illegal aliens”. We should meet them half way on that and simply call them slaves. Slaves are great for the economy right? So I hear? And yeah, slave owners love John McCain.

Zetterson on December 31, 2007 at 1:47 PM

Maverick’s main problem right now is money

I take great issue at that. That is NOT his main problem. He has many main problems, but money is FAAAAAR down the list for me.

Give up, McVain, you…nevermind. I’ve alread made a broken record of myself on this subject.

tickleddragon on December 31, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Maverick’s main problem right now is money

True enough, but if he’s the nominee that won’t be a problem at all. Bloomberg is a possibility for reasserting McCain’s “mavrosity” and get more independents, but the financial upside is really overstated. Might as well nominate Mark Cuban under that logic, another Maverick. Literally.

Vizzini on December 31, 2007 at 1:52 PM

SECOND LOOK AT REAGAN!!!

(Gets handed card)

Damn.

What about Safire’s idea of a McCain/Bloomberg ticket?

I just threw up a bit in my mouth.

amerpundit on December 31, 2007 at 1:52 PM

The straight amnesty talk express is puttering out of the station.
That smirk is emblematic of his lack of concern, not only for the issue, but for Americans gut-feeling about his solutions.

christophercube on December 31, 2007 at 1:53 PM

Exit question: What about Safire’s idea of a McCain/Bloomberg ticket?

I said it before and I’ll say it again: Bwahahaha!

Dusty on December 31, 2007 at 1:54 PM

The only thing McCain has learned is how to be more disingenuous. Such a maverick. If he became prez, I’d have to sleep with both eyes open.

Dusty on December 31, 2007 at 1:56 PM

Sorry, John, but you’re not convincing on this issue at all. Six months ago you were hurling epithets at border enforcers like Cornyn; now that you’ve been pummeled in the polls over the issue, you expect us to believe you are a principled proponent of securing the borders and principled opponent of amnesty?

No sale.

thirteen28 on December 31, 2007 at 1:58 PM

McCain has to run for POTUS because he won’t be re elected Senator.

Too many candidates think campaigning on one part of a multifaceted issue is good enough to get elected, I don’t think thats fooling too many people anymore.

There’s not enough contrast between John and any of the liberal candidates to make him Pres. why vote for a faux Democrat when you can elect a real one.

Illegal immigration is an issue that crosses party lines in a big way but if we don’t put up a real enforcement candidate versus a pretender like McCain, Democrats will vote their own party.

Speakup on December 31, 2007 at 2:05 PM

A McCain/Bloomberg ticket is rotisserie league politics. The closest it could ever come would be Bloomberg/McCain. Bloomberg wouldn’t spend a billion dollars to have McCain in the limelight and give himself the 2nd banana job.

If it is Hillary on the Dem side, Bloomberg probably goes for it. Could a Bloomberg/Hagel ticket be competitive in a race among?

Clinton (D)
Huckabee (R)
Bloomberg (I)
Paul (I)

The negatives for Bloomberg are he’s not a strong regional candidate, he’s not a populist (like Paul), he’s not championing a single issue that can motivate voters (campaign rallies exciting people over non-partisanship?), and he’s not highly charismatic.

On the plus side he’s got a lot of money, he knows the media business, and the 2008 recession will make it a change election.

dedalus on December 31, 2007 at 2:06 PM

Fool me once, your fault.
McCain/Feingold

Fool me twice, my fault.
Amnesty

There won’t be a 3rd time.

Labamigo on December 31, 2007 at 2:06 PM

Great…now all Maverick has to do is “learn” about CFR, judicial appointment obstruction (Gang of 14), waterboarding, and Gitmo.

Amnesty platitudes notwithstanding, the only way I’ll ever vote for this joker is with the ABH gun against my head.

Kid from Brooklyn on December 31, 2007 at 2:16 PM

McCain’s opinions have a lifespan of about six months.
I haven’t decided if it takes someone that long to convince him to change his mind, or if his brain has a six month lag time.
I’m sure McCain can’t win the presidency. What scares me is, if he gets nominated, the opposing Demoncrap will.

leanright on December 31, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Instapundit: A MCCAIN VICTORY? Just remember when the turnaround started . . . .

bnelson44 on December 31, 2007 at 2:39 PM

This makes a lot of sense to me.

bnelson44 on December 31, 2007 at 2:41 PM

I’m never going to vote for you John. He’s lying again.

Zetterson on December 31, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Look at the pic at the top of this column.
It that his nose getting longer?

OBX Pete on December 31, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Any lie is a good lie to a politician. The people who are fooled into supporting him get what they deserve when Amnesty round 3 comes around.

Take a look at his record. Since shamnesty was defeted by the citizens, he has gone on an all out blitz to undercut any law or funding that would end the nonsense of illegal immigration.

Rode Werk on December 31, 2007 at 3:18 PM

I’m the first to honor his service and sacrifice, and the last to ever vote for him.

He led the campaign to bestow precious American citizenship on illegal aliens, while insulting me and like thinkers.

Note that he now believes that if we secure the border FIRST, then amnesty/rewards would be OK.

Sorry, John.

fred5678 on December 31, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Is this his last gasp after floating, what a 3 million dollar personal loan? Are his creditors the ones now getting McCain the polling numbers here, because Ron Paul has proven that it takes more than money to get a rise in the polls. Thank God!

sonnyspats1 on December 31, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Nothing but media flap. It’s almost as if no one ever remembers. One more time… everyone… If you’re in the media, if you are interviewed by the media, if you have a blog, if you are an ignorant tslking head… well then… you’ve got an agenda to sell the American public something.

Griz on December 31, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Great, now we can cancel all of those darned primaries, and just get on with the general election. No sense muddying all these great ‘trends’ with the thoughts of silly voters.

/snark

rmgraha on December 31, 2007 at 4:27 PM

McCain/Bloomberg campaign slogan:

Just Shut Up & Do What We Tell You To Do

JM Hanes on December 31, 2007 at 5:01 PM

I wonder if he’s lying?

I think there’s an explanation for politic speak, here it is, under definition variations…see Bill Clinton; that depends on what your definition of is, is.

Yes, he’s lying, he means no amnesty for foreigners who haven’t sneaked in…yet.

Speakup on December 31, 2007 at 5:37 PM

McCain isn’t straight on this issue PERIOD IF he was a Marine I might give him the benifit of doubt but alas he never could be faithfull. His service was admirable but his BS will never fool this NH voter ever. Try as he may , he is toast.

bones47 on December 31, 2007 at 5:40 PM

McCain is the poster child for RINOs everywhere. I wonder if he’ll ever wake up and figure out he’s no longer even in the correct party for his views. These lies merely show that his transformation to Democrat is complete. He’s now just a slightly smarter and better looking Hillary.

Buzzy on December 31, 2007 at 7:57 PM

We don’t need a president that requires a two-by-four upside the head before he “understands” an issue. Furthermore, he still doesn’t understand McCain-Feingold and thinks it is a good law. What will he promote as president? I personally don’t want to find out!

PrettyD_Vicious on December 31, 2007 at 9:35 PM

A McCain/Kennedy ticket?

DfDeportation on December 31, 2007 at 10:31 PM

Even at his word, “secure our borders” is only part of the solution. Absent is what is to be done to rid us of the 20 million here now.

AmericanDad on January 1, 2008 at 2:17 PM