Video: Mitt Romney on Fox

posted at 10:52 am on December 31, 2007 by Bryan

Former MA Gov. Mitt Romney appeared on Fox yesterday afternoon via satellite from Iowa for an interview with Brett Baer. Baer asks tough but fair questions, and Romney acquits himself well. If you doubt that, you’re not to be trusted as an analyst.

Romney is smart to play up the experience contrast between himself and Huckabee, as that’s an area where he holds a clear and obvious edge. But Bair brings up an area where Romney has shown vulnerability and which will dog him as long as he’s in the race, and that’s the area of truthfulness. By that I’m not referring to Romney’s issue position changes, which he was at least smart enough to get out of the way well before the primaries, so much as the “lifelong hunter” line and the “NRA endorsement” line and things like that. That’s Romney’s Achilles heel and it’s the reason his negs are high. To the latter Romney now has an answer that ends up putting him on the right side of 2nd Amendment issues, but to the former, there’s no good way to dress up what amounts to an exaggeration of his history. If you’re not a lifelong hunter, don’t say you are. This is the internet, and your posterior will be fact-checked.

Comments

Does his hair ever get messed up? It never moves.

bnelson44 on December 31, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Huck’s low blows have had the opposite of their desired effect with me.

Spirit of 1776 on December 31, 2007 at 11:04 AM

ALAN KEYES FOR PRESIDENT 2008.

Mcguyver on December 31, 2007 at 11:06 AM

hmmmmm…Dominica.

Huck is a tax and spend, amnesty liberal. Good for Mitt. Keep pointing that out. I’m still voting for Fred though.

sunny on December 31, 2007 at 11:08 AM

Does his hair ever get messed up? It never moves.
bnelson44 on December 31, 2007 at 10:58 AM

It is reputed to have sentience

Beto Ochoa on December 31, 2007 at 11:12 AM

It is reputed to have sentience

Beto Ochoa on December 31, 2007 at 11:12 AM

That is fact, not rumor. It Lives.

And ironically, his hair is a lifelong hunter.

Professor Blather on December 31, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Would you buy a used yacht from this man?

Typhoon on December 31, 2007 at 11:23 AM

By the way, Brett’s last name is Baer.

Number 2 on December 31, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Mitt is the GOP version of John Kerry. He can’t keep his positions straight and the boy’s got a bad case of foot in mouth disease.

Ex-tex on December 31, 2007 at 11:35 AM

Ex-tex on December 31, 2007 at 11:35 AM

That’s just devastating.

I assumed that site was from supporters of another Republican candidate, and I was going to write a comment suggesting that whoever owns that site should shut it down – since its probably an even-odds chance that Romney will get the nomination, and that stuff will kill him in the general.

Then I scrolled down and saw who actually does own it. And all be came clear.

Professor Blather on December 31, 2007 at 11:43 AM

That is fact, not rumor. It Lives.
And ironically, his hair is a lifelong hunter.
Professor Blather on December 31, 2007 at 11:18 AM

His hair is the one with the NRA endorsement.
I wonder if it was his hair that saw his father march with MLK?

Beto Ochoa on December 31, 2007 at 11:49 AM

His hair is the one with the NRA endorsement.
I wonder if it was his hair that saw his father march with MLK?

Beto Ochoa on December 31, 2007 at 11:49 AM

No. His hair saw his father’s hair. It was a hairy situation.

But for the record, his hair didn’t actually see it. Because hair has no eyes. I use “see” in that other sense of the word. You know the one.

Professor Blather on December 31, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Is there nobody who is enthusiastically supporting Romney?

It might be nice to see his supporters build up a thread here. Just sayin’.

I know I’d feel much better about he guy if I thought his supporters had 10% of the passion of the Fredfolken.

How about some Mitt love?

Professor Blather on December 31, 2007 at 12:05 PM

That’s just devastating.
Professor Blather on December 31, 2007 at 11:43 AM

It’s funny to see the dems rag a guy for his positions on issues they are still in favor of.

Hopefully, Mitt wont allow out of context quotes to stand like Fred has.

csdeven on December 31, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Mitt carries the fire in his belly so his supporters don’t have to.

csdeven on December 31, 2007 at 12:15 PM

I hate politicians. Lifelong hunter my butt!

What a dope. And now he’s forced to ignore the question altogether. This will come back and bite him in the butt in the general election. Unless of course he can convince the NRA to endorse him.

csdeven on December 31, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Professor Blather on December 31, 2007 at 12:05 PM

I support Mitt.

I see him as different from John Kerry because Ol’ Waffles said a new thing every 5 minutes during the ’04 election. Mitt, like many people (Reagan, Bush senior), changed positions when faced with reality (i.e. abortion, gay marriage, etc.) and has stuck with them.

It’d be a sad country/party if we didn’t accept true “converts.”

His closest call with waffling was over guns in that MTP interview. But his weak spot is guns anyway, so I think he needs a southern 2nd-amendment-er as a Veep to balance him out.

HYTEAndy on December 31, 2007 at 12:50 PM

Does his hair ever get messed up? It never moves.

SECOND LOOK AT SHATNER!

sulla on December 31, 2007 at 1:08 PM

Is there nobody who is enthusiastically supporting Romney?

It might be nice to see his supporters build up a thread here. Just sayin’.

How about some Mitt love?

Professor Blather on December 31, 2007 at 12:05 PM

You are so full of it Blather.

Buy Danish on December 31, 2007 at 1:27 PM

I LOVE MITT, his hair notwithstanding.
Fire his hairdresser and he is perfect.

The problem is people cannot stand “perfect” people. It reminds them too much of Santa Claus or Grandma.

I’d rather go fishing, than pontificate.

Happy New Years!

Mcguyver on December 31, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Is it too late to reshuffle and deal out new candidates?

oakpack on December 31, 2007 at 2:37 PM

I am wrong or do the Romneys seem like they belong in Stepford?

Larraby on December 31, 2007 at 2:53 PM

SECOND LOOK AT THE WEATHER CHICK!

BKennedy on December 31, 2007 at 6:06 PM

sunny on December 31, 2007 at 11:08 AM

And The Huckster’s people think we can’t figure that out. ha ha

DfDeportation on December 31, 2007 at 6:18 PM

I am wrong or do the Romneys seem like they belong in Stepford?

Larraby on December 31, 2007 at 2:53 PM

A lot of Mormons appear that way. However, you gotta admit, it’s funny how he’s the guy with the fewest wifes in this campaign, and he’s a Mormon….funny….laugh…lighten up…

DfDeportation on December 31, 2007 at 6:21 PM

Is there nobody who is enthusiastically supporting Romney?

It might be nice to see his supporters build up a thread here. Just sayin’.

How about some Mitt love?

Professor Blather on December 31, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Moderate Democrats that support a guy like Romney are usually more laid back with caution. However, I do believe, in the video, you’re seeing the reason why Romney has a great chance to end up as the next president. He’s good and he’s better than the other guys by a wide margin.

DfDeportation on December 31, 2007 at 6:32 PM