Rasmussen: New national leader is … Maverick?

posted at 12:19 pm on December 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

Thus does our primary season come full circle. Ironically, just as he’s retaken the lead nationally, McCain’s looking like a loser again in New Hampshire. Both NBC and, ahem, ARG have Mitt back out in front in Iowa; if he wins there, he’ll have a boost in NH, where he’s still ahead of McCain by an average of five points. Not only that, but the independents Mac’s counting on to put him over the top probably won’t be there thanks to … Barack Obama, who’s lured so many unaffiliated New Hampshirites to register to vote in the Democratic primary that there simply aren’t many left to vote for Maverick. Long story short, if Mitt pulls it out in Iowa he’s probably going to pull out New Hampshire too, which in turn means he’ll likely run the table. Read this and tell me, how does that grab you?

One of the Fredheads, bless his heart, flagged the Rasmussen poll in another thread as cause for hope, noting that Fred’s only five points behind the leader. Um, he’s been at 12 percent or so for weeks now, guys. It’s not that he’s gaining, it’s that the leaderboard keeps shuffling around him. And in four days, someone’s going to be out to a big lead. Unless Fred surprises in Iowa, it won’t be him.

To see just how dirty it’s gotten, check this out. I wonder, which Romney opponent is the likeliest suspect in an attack based on religion? Hmmm. Oh, and be sure to read this, too. If anyone’s choosing their primary candidate based on electability, you had better start factoring Bloomberg into your calculations. Personally, I’m not at all sure that Mitt would do better in a three-way race than Huck would. Exit quotations, care of the NYT’s latest profile of our “Christian leader”:

“It’s gone,” said Ed Rollins, who once worked as President Reagan’s political director and recently became Mr. Huckabee’s national campaign chairman. “The breakup of what was the Reagan coalition — social conservatives, defense conservatives, antitax conservatives — it doesn’t mean a whole lot to people anymore.”

“It is a time for a whole new coalition — that is the key,” he said, adding that some part of the original triad might “go by the wayside.”…

“My fantasy out of this race is that Huckabee will create another Christian Coalition,” said Grover Norquist, the president of Americans for Tax Reform, recalling the group that grew out of Pat Robertson’s 1988 campaign and became a political force for much of the next decade. “If you could have the equivalent of the Christian Coalition, it would be a bulwark for the Goldwater-Reagan wing of the party.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You are literally saying you would rather have a President with no conservative values than one who is mostly conservative. Grow up.

davenp35 on December 30, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Somehow, you seem to be completely unable to comprehend the English language.

It shouldn’t take you 27 readings of our comments to understand that our point is that the other candidates HAVE NO CONSERVATIVE VALUES! They are frauds!

You also completely ignore the fact that a win by Giuliani, Huckabee, or McCain will forever push the GOP to the left. All future candidates will move to the left with the feeling that it’s what’s needed to win, instead of all future candidates “moving to the right” after seeing Fred win.

I know you’re smart enough to see that there’s an extremely different direction in our future based on who wins this election.

And just to be blunt, I’d much rather have Hillary than Huckabee because I know the Clintons are capable of brutality, which means they’ll be willing to do what’s needed to protect us from Islamic nutjobs. Huckabee won’t. Huckabee will want to sit down and bargain with them.

Gregor on December 30, 2007 at 5:26 PM

Gregor on December 30, 2007 at 5:26 PM

It’s also important to point out that a win by either of these three candidates will give a big huge thumbs up to all future candidate flip-flopping, basically telling them that the American people have absolutely no concern whatsoever for honesty or integrity. All that matters is that you come out and say what we want to hear.

It’s sickening that most of those supporting these candidates are the very same people who spent the last several years humiliating John Kerry for being a flip-flopper. Be consistent folks.

Gregor on December 30, 2007 at 6:01 PM

I quit. Entelechy and WcCawa, meet me at the blimp. Bring Jessica. I don’t care which one. I’m outtie.

Professor Blather on December 30, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Heh, what a fun meeting that would be, as we’re all a bit ‘nutty’, in a good way. Endorphins would be released galore.

But Professor, please don’t ‘float’ away until after the primaries. We do need a voice of reason here, or one with your wit to make it. My head is spinning from all the spinning. If it weren’t for you and a few others, I’d start drinking. It would be a beginning. Nothing against it – I just simply don’t care much for it. So, please don’t go.

Entelechy on December 30, 2007 at 6:39 PM

What we have here is a lot of folks with abused wife syndrome.
Standing by their man no mater how much he abuses them because the other guy might be even worse.

Somebody call Dr. Phil!

Or Lorena Bobbitt maybe.

MB4 on December 30, 2007 at 7:07 PM

Go Fred!

ronsfi on December 30, 2007 at 7:25 PM

MB4 on December 30, 2007 at 7:07 PM

It looks like the left still wants to draft Albert Gore. If we don’t sort this out in the next few weeks, I think we’ll begin to play with similar ideas, just don’t know whom to draft. I’m even thinking that Fred/John McCain might go for a third party, if both don’t make it…crazy, I know, but not impossible. This is a weird election season.

Entelechy on December 30, 2007 at 7:40 PM

I misrepresented nothing.
Professor Blather on December 30, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Ummm- actually you did.

Some of you honestly believe that if I don’t vote for Fred – for Fred and only Fred – I’m not a conservative?

Oh – and if I don’t support Flip-Flop Romney, I’m an anti-Mormon bigot?

Yet if I speak out against actual anti-Mormon bigotry, I’m being too politically correct?

If I vote for Giuliani – I’m in favor of illegal immigration?

No middle ground? No gray area? No complexities at all? No compromise? Vote Fred! Or you’re a liberal!?!?
Professor Blather on December 30, 2007 at 2:34 PM

NO ONE said anything of the kind, Professor.
In case you missed it the first time, this is my take on the ‘misrepresentation:

Come’on now Professor- if you’re gonna attack someone’s statement then ya gotta attack it FAIR. Gregor never said that if you don’t vote Fred you’re not conservative. He said…

If you’re a conservative, a vote for any of these candidates is a vote to move your Party even further to the left.
And I happen to agree. You can be a conservative and vote for whoever you want too. For whatever reason you want too.

You gotta stop gittin’ yer panties all twisted up. Nobody is sayin’ you’re not conservative okay?

And, I DO root fot the cowboys (and FDT), so that means I’m not a communist. Thank God, I was worried there for a minute.

Ex-tex on December 30, 2007 at 2:43 PM

Ex-tex on December 30, 2007 at 8:51 PM

Don’t take it personally, Gregor. Your post was just a random example of something hideous that’s going on here. There’s plenty of it from all sides.

The point is not your post – or your candidate.

The point is that we better fix what we’re doing. This is all becoming a counter-productive, self-destructive circle jerk.

We. Must. Stop.
Professor Blather on December 30, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Dude, you gotta relax. There’s nothing ‘hideous going on’. It’s just folks postin’, so agree with ya, some don’t.

Ex-tex on December 30, 2007 at 9:03 PM

This is a promise: If McCain wins the election, I’m moving down the street. Please, don’t elect this guy. Moving is a pain in the butt.

Kevin M on December 30, 2007 at 9:55 PM

Don’t forget all those post election administrative appointments Mitt would make. NTTAWWT. Iraquis aren’t the only ones who like a strong horse. However, if Tanc was wrong on horsepower, he may have some time on his hands for the next four years.

a capella on December 30, 2007 at 2:47 PM

I think Tanc will run for a Senate seat.
He may like the idea of an administration appointment but he has options.

Speakup on December 30, 2007 at 11:12 PM