Open thread: NFL week 17

posted at 12:40 pm on December 30, 2007 by Bryan

Here’s the schedule. Most games around the league today don’t mean squat. The playoff picture is set for the top seeds in both conferences, the playoff-bound Patriots and Giants played to Patriot perfection last night, and most teams already know whether they’re in the playoffs or their seasons are done.

But there are a few interesting games. The Cowboys have nothing to play for other than their best record ever, TO is hurt and they’ll probably rest a few key players for the playoffs, but they could deprive their nemesis the Redskins of a playoff berth by beating them today. The Saints and Vikings both need that to happen in order to stay alive, and the Saints also need the Vikings to lose or they’re done. So it looks like this: Skins win and they’re in. Skins lose, Vikings win and the Vikings are in. Both lose and the Saints are in.

On the AFC side, only the Titans and Browns are in playoff doubt, and the Titans are in control. If they beat the Colts in the late game tonight, they’re in. If they lose (and the Colts don’t really have anything to play for) then the Browns are in.

Comments

These damned December doldrums are definitely depressing.

hillbillyjim on December 30, 2007 at 12:55 PM

How ’bout them Pats??????
Actually, I have grave concerns that the Pats can be knocked off by a team playing disciplined, mistake-free football. The Giants gave the Patriots all that they could handle last night. It doesn’t help that Brady spent the first half of the Miami game and much of last night throwing between the knees and ankles of his recievers.
Funny it is that if the Pats don’t win the Super Bowl this year then they will be considered one of the great chole artists. Weird.

thegreatbeast on December 30, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Some friends of my lady and I will be watching the Cowboys game (and rootin’ for them), eating BBQ brisket, baked beans, cock-a-leaky soup, and homemade biscuits. Followed by chocolate pie. Now that is the way to watch the Cowboys win again!

Texas Nick 77 on December 30, 2007 at 12:59 PM

I will be at a local sports bar cheering on my Redskins. All I ever ask of them every year is that they beat the Cowboys – just once. Now this game counts. Go ‘Skins! Do it for Sean!

foxforce91 on December 30, 2007 at 1:05 PM

While always interested in the Seahawks, the Cowboy/Redskin game has more interest. The NFC wild card battle will determine the Hawks opponent next weekend. Seattle lost to NO at home this year. They don’t match up well against the Vikings, though beating them means beating the traitor Steve Hutchingson. The preferred opponent would be the Redskins.

Holmgren will probably sit the starters in the second half. My wife wants to go to church this morning, so I will be watching the game later on the DVR.

Mallard T. Drake on December 30, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Mallard T. Drake on December 30, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Seattle could beat the Vikes. They’ve (Vikes) gotten lucky this season. Did you see that game against the Bears? That was sheer luck – no skill involved – I think even most Vikings fans would admit that. I have to go to a sports bar to watch the Redskins game because I live in Minnesota and the game is not on here and I don’t have the NFL ticket. I’ll probably be the only one cheering for the Redskins there!

foxforce91 on December 30, 2007 at 1:12 PM

It’s a meaningless game for my Bears but we’ve got them on. Orton looks sharp and the D looks like it might have shown up to play.

alilianstrom on December 30, 2007 at 1:32 PM

thegreatbeast on December 30, 2007 at 12:56 PM

I heard the best explanation for this on ESPN this morning:
From one perspective, Britney’s sister, Jamie Lynn Spears, went 16 and 0, but the streak ended there…

trubble on December 30, 2007 at 1:52 PM

But the Saints would still have to win. If all three lose Washington gets the final playoff spot.

RW_theoriginal on December 30, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Cold rain in DC. Someone needs to call for a congressional investigation. John? John? Are you there John?

Limerick on December 30, 2007 at 2:47 PM

As a Lions fan, all we ask is to be competetive. Please. The chances of a professional football team winning exactly one playoff game in 50 years has to be close to a team going 16-0, which is impossible, right? Right?

I wonder if Yzerman can throw a football?

ConservativeLawStudent on December 30, 2007 at 2:53 PM

New Orleans/Chicago gave me an excellent opportunity to catch a nap on a cold, rainy Virginia afternoon. I woke up to an interception by Chicago which was subsequently fumbled back to NO, who kicked a last second field goal. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

Nice nap, though.

pistolero on December 30, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Those of us in Atlanta were lucky enough that the Falcon game didn’t sell out and we weren’t subjected to it. It did give us a chance to see a guy from the Houston Texans return back to back kickoffs for touchdowns which has to be pretty rare.

RW_theoriginal on December 30, 2007 at 3:18 PM

RW_theoriginal on December 30, 2007 at 2:20 PM

True. And barring a miracle, that’s not happening.

Bryan on December 30, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Bryan on December 30, 2007 at 3:23 PM

The Saints are well on there way to becoming the first loser in that group. They were foolish enough to punt to Devon Hester a minute ago which, of course, meant a TD for Chicago.

RW_theoriginal on December 30, 2007 at 3:28 PM

scanning around the highlights today there have been like, 500 kick return touchdowns: one by Josh Gribbs of the Browns, 2 by the Texans’ Andre Davis, at least one by “Dervish” Hester. krickey, what’s in the water today?????

and yet here i sit waiting for the Cards to beat my beloved but utterly hapless and poorly-coached Rams like red-headed stepkids wearing dirty blankets and riding a rented mule.

Sigh. well, pitchers and catchers report in about 45 days or so. can i survive? not sure, the way the Kings played against the Sixers the other night. Thousands of empty seats at Arco, once the most feared road building in the NBA. not anymore.

Mike D. on December 30, 2007 at 3:38 PM

I have to disagree, I was really was looking forward to seeing the last game of the year. I guess I am one of the few faithful fans left that think’s this team can be turned around. Is it April yet?

I still have the hope and the dream.

Mofugger on December 30, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Mofugger on December 30, 2007 at 3:39 PM

I guess you could have taken the drastic step of buying up the last tickets.

It would have been fun to see what they just did though. The Falcons went into the 4th quarter losing 27-20 and had a 41-27 lead before two minutes had gone by.

RW_theoriginal on December 30, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Pride, and of course keeping the skins out of the playoffs may be important to them later on.

conservnut on December 30, 2007 at 4:32 PM

NFC East now officially all .500+ for the season, with a good chance of 3/4 making the playoffs.

viking999 on December 30, 2007 at 5:28 PM

I guess you could have taken the drastic step of buying up the last tickets.

If I thought it would’ve helped I would have.

Actually a loss today wouldn’t have been that bad considering the draft pick we might have gotten or might still get.

Mofugger on December 30, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Yeah…..something to play for or not, my Boys look like they have the flu. This is no way to go into the playoffs.

Limerick on December 30, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Mofugger on December 30, 2007 at 5:36 PM

That Falcon win today probably dropped them from the second pick in the draft to either 5th or 6th, so they would have been better off losing. Well at least if they weren’t clueless when it came to drafting players.

RW_theoriginal on December 30, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Looks like the Dolphins now have a big blue star on their helmet.

Fraking embarrassing.

Limerick on December 30, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Their pick went to the dogs

Wade on December 30, 2007 at 6:59 PM

my Boys look like they have the flu.

They sure do not look like they would be competitive with either of the 2 teams who played last night.

Wade on December 30, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Washington-Seattle……..Skins
New York-Tampa…………Giants

then

Washington-Dallas………ulcer maker
New York-Green Bay……..Packers

I would be more positive about my Cowboys but 4 lousy games in a row just isn’t an encouraging sign.

Limerick on December 30, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Dallas loses. Again.

Good Lt on December 30, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Once again, I apologize for my Broncos winning. I am truly mortified, and guarantee it will not happen again this year.

wccawa on December 30, 2007 at 8:12 PM

I’m looking down into that crater Dallas got pounded into for any signs of life. I see none. I also see no Boys-of-Cow lovefest this week. ONE rushing yard? That’s right – HTTR, baby!

fiatboomer on December 30, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Yay!!!

Limerick on December 30, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Seriously don’t be worried. The Skins beat your second-string team. I’ll take it, but I still have to manage my expectations from here on out. I was encouraged that our team actually came to work in the second half. We can manage to lose even when we’re up by 2 touchdowns in the 4th quarter. I have to tell y’all – I hated being “that girl” – you know – the only one in the crowd cheering for the opposite team – but I did not gloat after the 1st half. My husband, (a Vikes fan) was afraid he might get punched out because of me by one of the more zealous Vikes fans there. But what a great day!!!
Yay!!

foxforce91 on December 30, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Washington-Seattle……..Skins

Limerick on December 30, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Sorry, don’t think so. Washington has to visit the nightmare that is Seahawk stadium. Seattle was flat today, but come next weekend they will be revved and ready for anyone. Hasselbeck will have all four starting receivers on the field for the first time this year. The O-line is opening holes finally for Shaun. The defense will keep the Redskins under 18 points. Let’s call it 28-17 Seattle.

Mallard T. Drake on December 30, 2007 at 10:16 PM

The Pats game was scary. I almost turned it off in the 3rd quarter. I didn’t think they would pull off the win. The Giants surprised me by having their starters in the whole game when it didn’t mean anything to them. I think the Pats made the same mistake, thinking they’d play the second and third string guys.

Mooseman on December 30, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Texas Nick 77 on December 30, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Oh well, at least we ate well.

Wahhhh!!!!

Texas Nick 77 on December 30, 2007 at 11:42 PM

I am going to get in my waa-mbulence for a moment. The Giants played at home on Saturday, and the NFL schedules them for next Sunday against the Bucs, giving them an extra day. On Sunday the Seahawks had to travel to the east coast yet again (3 times in 5 weeks), and the NFL schedules their playoff game on Saturday, having them lose a day after a long trip home. Is the Giants/Bucs game really that much more appealing to earn a Sunday time slot over Seahawks/Redskins? What a bunch of crap.

I call bull$hit on the NFL. Saturday to Saturday and Sunday to Sunday makes perfect sense. What the NFL did makes no sense, unless I can trot out the east coast bias argument.

Mallard T. Drake on December 31, 2007 at 12:06 AM

Mallard T. Drake on December 30, 2007 at 10:16 PM

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. The Skins are on the longest winning streak of their division this year, making them the hottest team in the NFC. They’ve won by double digits almost this whole streak. They’ve been on fire since Taylor died…they have it in them. This is perhaps the best performance of Gibbs’ Hall of Fame career, and they have one of the hottest QBs at the moment. They let only 1 rushing yard last night the whole game!

Don’t doubt them, they can do it.

ballz2wallz on December 31, 2007 at 9:48 AM