Video: Huck turns the other cheek, somehow links tax policy to faith

posted at 12:32 pm on December 29, 2007 by Allahpundit

Six days ’til caucus and the gloves are finally off. Let’s see what we’ve got for you. Here’s our faux naif looking cozy in front of a fireplace and lamenting all the negativity in the campaign lately, shortly after he warned an audience in Iowa not to go electing pretty boys like Romney just because they’ve made People Magazine’s most beautiful list.

And here you have him running graphics about cutting taxes and fighting crime while he rambles on about religion. This one’s interesting insofar as the incongruity of the audio with the text makes it hard to concentrate on both. Either you’re reading it or you’re listening, or hopefully for Huck’s camp, you’re conflating them on some subliminal level to forge that “Christian leader” mojo he’s been cultivating.

Anyone recognize the outfit behind this one? You should. They’re the same group that’s been push-polling on Huck’s behalf, to the candidate’s alleged consternation. Try as Huck and his team might, they’ve been unable to rein in these renegade, totally independent operators. And now they’ve gone and run an attack ad against Romney replete with derisive laughter, just as Huck himself is ruing how bad the vibes have gotten of late. If only there was something he could do.

And finally, here’s Romney coming back at McCain after the latter’s latest ad called him a phony. Said Mitt to reporters yesterday, “It’s mean-spirited. Frankly, it tells you more about Sen. McCain than it does about me that he’d run an ad like that.” Not surprisingly, Huck has nothing but compliments for St. John these days since he’s Huck’s best chance to torpedo Romney by knocking him off in New Hampshire. And where does all this leave Fred? If you believe this, at somewhere around 1%. That can’t be right, but it certainly isn’t encouraging. Are those … buzzards I see circling? Click the image to watch.

mitt-mcc.jpg

Comments

Meeoooowwww. Buncha beetches…. Where’s Fred! ?

HerrMorgenholz on December 29, 2007 at 12:34 PM

I always felt Bush was never fully equipped on the foreign policy debate, but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Not so with Huckabee. For some reason he just rubs me the wrong way.

wryteacher on December 29, 2007 at 12:38 PM

By the way… Did anybody notice that the Huckster lost the Ozark accent in his Iowa commercials? Sounds like Mike Ditka compared to the Aw-Shucksabee we’ve come to know and ridicule.

HerrMorgenholz on December 29, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Taxes and faith? Yeah, not even Jesus got out of taxes.

*snort* And how high was the tax rate for the Boston Tea Party again? If Huck wants to talk taxes and faith, let me remind him: God does tithing. That’s ten percent. Ideally, if ten percent is good enough for God, it should be good enough for the Fed.

Really, that would be the way to mix Christianity and taxes: promise to cut taxes to ten percent. And cut government too.

But no, we don’t get that! We just get lies from Huck… no surprise. Sure, he cut taxes 90 times…. and raised them how many more?

Vanceone on December 29, 2007 at 12:41 PM

“Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s. And I represent them both”

–Mike Huckabee

HerrMorgenholz on December 29, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Render to Caesar what’s Caesar’s, but Caesar didn’t have wasteful earmarks…or did he?

SouthernGent on December 29, 2007 at 12:49 PM

HerrMorgenholz….wow…same wavelength! :-)

SouthernGent on December 29, 2007 at 12:50 PM

Heh. Frightening….

HerrMorgenholz on December 29, 2007 at 12:51 PM

He may not be the first choice for some of you, but it’s time to hedge your bets ladies and gentlemen. Huckabee is a disaster on every front. McCain will NEVER be able to get over his stance on illegal immigration (and numerous other issues for that matter). And only one guy can keep both of them at bay. Who would govern as a conservative? Fred, Mitt, Hunter, etc. Who can realisticaly get the nomination? Only Mitt.

davenp35 on December 29, 2007 at 1:01 PM

y a w n.

amend2 on December 29, 2007 at 1:01 PM

davenp35 on December 29, 2007 at 1:01 PM

Who let Hugh Hewitt in here?

Purple Fury on December 29, 2007 at 1:14 PM

“…on the most important issue…”

YAWN

abortion is the most important issue? news to me.

ernesto on December 29, 2007 at 1:46 PM

All you have to do is listen to Fred for a few minutes and you have to realize there is simply no candidate who understands the world we’re living in better than Fred Thompson.

Gregor on December 29, 2007 at 1:48 PM

davenp35 on December 29, 2007 at 1:01 PM

Who let Hugh Hewitt in here?

Purple Fury on December 29, 2007 at 1:14 PM

Ad hominem attack instead of addressing my points. Be careful there Purple, people might start confusing you for a liberal.

davenp35 on December 29, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Ad hominem attack instead of addressing my points.

davenp35 on December 29, 2007 at 1:49 PM

What points? You mean suggesting that Mitt is the only candidate who can possibly get the nomination is actually a point?

okie dokie

Gregor on December 29, 2007 at 1:51 PM

Are those … buzzards I see circling?

As a die hard Fred supporter I think you’re right Allah. Makes me sad.

broker1 on December 29, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Huck is a snake oil saleman and as slick as Willy. Open your eyes, people of Iowa. Send this huckster packin’.

katieanne on December 29, 2007 at 1:57 PM

Huck is a snake oil saleman and as slick as Willy.

katieanne on December 29, 2007 at 1:57 PM

I never thought I’d see another person who’s better at lying than Bubba, but I do believe Huckabee has him beat.

Gregor on December 29, 2007 at 2:09 PM

but I do believe Huckabee has him beat.

Gregor on December 29, 2007 at 2:09 PM

And what’s even worse is learning that conservatives are apparently even more gullible than liberals.

Gregor on December 29, 2007 at 2:10 PM

broker1 on December 29, 2007 at 1:54 PM

It ain’t over till its over. Its all about who shows up to vote. Yes, we can be grateful the Republican caucus is more direct than the Byzantine anachronism the Dems continue to run but it still comes down to who can turn out their supporters. From the Fred perspective, I can see that running either way for us. Rasmussen by the way, has Fred running at 13% nationally, one point behind McCain.

Nyog_of_the_Bog on December 29, 2007 at 2:22 PM

katieanne on December 29, 2007 at 1:57 PM

Bing.

Jaibones on December 29, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Heckabee, Do it for the children.

BREAKING Huckabee thinks the founding fathers were right. Film at 11.

ronsfi on December 29, 2007 at 4:16 PM

That was good. That was a good laugh, AP.

Puh-leeze, Mitt. “Mean-spirited?” I know that phrase, mean-spirited, originated on the left side of the spectrum, in the 90s sometime. Did you bring it across with you in your conversion journey?
Does your black Chevy Suburban have this bumper sticker ?

silverfox on December 29, 2007 at 5:31 PM

Huck has made an interesting choice for his national campaign chair. Ed Rollins was Reagan’s political director, but now on the Huckabee staff Rollins has come out and said: “The breakup of what was the Reagan coalition — social conservatives, defense conservatives, antitax conservatives — it doesn’t mean a whole lot to people anymore.”

Not sure how helpful it is to Huck that his campaign chair has already tossed aside the Reagan coalition. Sure, everyone is saying that Huck would fracture the party but you’d think that his campaign would make some pretense toward holding things together. Oh well, at least Rollins didn’t offer anyone any “walking around money”.

dedalus on December 29, 2007 at 5:35 PM

A caller for Fred in Iowa reported the following about some of the people he spoke with:

“Ok, I just got off the phone and here’s what my evangelical friends are saying. God is going to move us conservatives out of the way so that Mike the Baptist can forfill [sic] bible scripture and bring about the Rapture to us all! 12/21/2012. They act like they don’t even care about America, only what they see as prophecy counts to them!…and Mike the Baptist has got them in the palm of his hand! All I can say is WOW!”

Connie on December 29, 2007 at 6:41 PM

Some good news… http://www.powerlineblog.com

December 29, 2007
Et Tu, Huck?

Robert Novak reports on a massive telephone survey of 15,000 Iowans who say they will attend the Republican caucuses. (If true, that would be a substantial percentage of all Republicans who will participate.) In this survey, Mitt Romney is back in front of Mike Huckabee, whose support appears to be slipping.

Bob Dole, Novak reports, has entered the fray with an open letter to Huckabee criticizing him for his attack on President Bush:

Unexpected late intervention by Bob Dole in the Iowa Republican caucuses confirms that Mike Huckabee may have blundered by assailing President George W. Bush’s “arrogant bunker mentality” in international affairs.
“Why have you joined the ‘Bush bashers’?” Dole asked in a letter to Huckabee that he made public.

Dole won the Iowa caucuses in 1996.

To comment on this post, go here.

katieanne on December 29, 2007 at 7:15 PM

Connie@6:41PM – good Lord help us if that’s true and people are using that absurb nonsense in their reasoning to elect the next leader of the Free World – that’s right up there with Iran’s Achmadthreadbaredinnerjacket wanting to further the return of the 12th Imman or whatever. To my knowledge, God has never been influenced by his created critters to move events forward/backward to further “their” political wishlist. The Divine will always do the best for us, in spite of us.

Frankly, The Great Huxster, is turning into the scariest thing since Carter and the lust in his heart.

24K lady on December 29, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Did I mention that when The Great Huxster dares compare his views or actions to Ronald Reagan – it loses him points with true conservatives, makes him appear small and petty, with a penchant to hang on the achievements of greatness, and furthers his image of a baffoon? We need a leader that is willing to lead, protect the Constitution, and challenge our enemies with insight and wisdom. Great Huxster, you are no Ronald Reagan!

24K lady on December 29, 2007 at 8:24 PM

I agree with you 24K lady. Compared to Reagan, Huck is a baffoon and a lying one at that.

katieanne on December 29, 2007 at 8:57 PM

Cut taxes my a$$! Cut a penny and raised a dollar!

conservnut on December 29, 2007 at 9:07 PM

24K lady on December 29, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Huckabee is going to do more damage to Christianity than Hitchens could fantacize about doing.

I’m a long-range thinker, so I figure if Huckabee is elected and is raptured up in 2012, then that means he only serves half a term. heh

Connie on December 30, 2007 at 12:15 AM

Well nuts…2010, I meant.

Connie on December 30, 2007 at 12:16 AM

Less jaw boning more Ping Ponging.

Does Huckabee really represent, I don’t think so.

MSGTAS on December 30, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Dear Doctor Huckabee, I want to thank you for your fabulous elixir. A friend took me to your revival in East Hoytsville last year and I admit I was skeptical. I had to be wheeled into the tent because of my metastasized bunions and I was a little loopy due to 4700 mg of Hypochondrazine which is the only thing that allowed me to leave my bed. I greatly impressed by the healings and laying on of hands but when you fed your elixir to that poor young man and he dropped his walker well, I knew I had to try some. I was very grateful that you let me sign my Welfare Check over in lieu of cash to purchase a months supply of Dr. Huckabee’s Amazing Liquid Jesus Elixir!. I have been pouring it over my Cocopuffs every morning and massaging it into my hair during my weekly bath. While I do this I cross my eyes and kiss my picture of Micheal Dukakis while reciting the Pledge of Allegiance backwards. I am pleased to report that after taking Dr. Huckabee’s Liquid Jesus Elixir! my Doctor says that my bunions are no longer metastasized! I can leave my bed to change the channel on my TV and pick up my welfare check without the help of my cat Bernice! Thank you! You are a Saint! Enclosed is my payment for another 2 months supply of Dr. Huckabee’s Liquid Jesus Elixir! Next time I hope you can please come to Hoytsville proper as East Hoytsville is 1.5 miles away and George Bush’s Fascist public transit system is woefully inadequate. I hope you win so that God will finally be in office. P.S. Tell God I love him. (can you get me an autograph?)
P.P.S. Bernice says Hi!

ronsfi on December 30, 2007 at 3:10 PM

Go Fred!

ronsfi on December 30, 2007 at 7:26 PM

I’m sorry, but everytime I see Huckabee, I am reminded of President Charles Logan from 24, season 4. Anyone else? or is it just me?

Melba Toast on December 30, 2007 at 9:31 PM