Extreme BDS watch: Vermont group wants to overthrow the Bush administration

posted at 11:55 am on December 29, 2007 by Bryan

Is there something in the water in Vermont? In that state there has been a drive to secede from the union. They elected Howard Dean as governor. And now there’s a town in Vermont that’s looking at arresting Bush and Cheney on “war crime” if either makes the mistake of setting foot there.

A group in Brattleboro is petitioning to put an item on a town meeting agenda in March that would make Bush and Vice President Cheney subject to arrest and indictment if they visit the southeastern Vermont community.

“This petition is as radical as the Declaration of Independence, and it draws on that tradition in claiming a universal jurisdiction when governments fail to do what they’re supposed to do,” said Kurt Daims, 54, a retired machinist leading the drive.

Dude’s a machinist and retired at 54? He obviously inhaled a few chemicals over the course of his career and now he has way too much time on his hands.

As president, Bush has visited every state except Vermont.

Well it’s not real hard to figure out why. They did elect Howard Dean. Plus they’re all probably Patriots fans, and everyone knows they’re insufferable.

Support for the measure is far from universal, even in Vermont, where the state Senate voted earlier this year to support impeaching the president. Anti-war rallies are regular occurrences here, and “Impeach Bush” bumper stickers are common.

“I would not be supportive of it,” said Stephen Steidle, a member of the town’s selectboard, which oversees its government.

“It’s well outside of our ability. From my perspective, the Brattleboro Selectboard needs to focus on the town and the things that need to be done here.”

Daims has been circulating documents that claim the community acquires a “universal jurisdiction” to take such steps “when governments breach their highest duties.”

Mr. Daims, with all due respect, is a fruitcake. And he’s not alone in his affliction.

Comments

So Bush never has to go to Vermont, oh the humanity and heartbreak. I’m sure he looked SOOOOO forward to going to Burlington and staring at a maple tree.

Please, like anyone wants to go to Vermont anyway

Defector01 on December 29, 2007 at 11:56 AM

All I see is a Barney Fife type screaming “citizen’s arrest” and then getting shot by the Secret Service, but then I’m a glass half-full type of guy.

bbz123 on December 29, 2007 at 12:02 PM

According to the AP article ….

“The White House did not immediately respond to requests for comment Friday.”

Translation: Bush ignored the lunatics in Vermont.

fogw on December 29, 2007 at 12:02 PM

I’m doing everything I can to not get fired right now. Several co-workers think this is the best story they’ve ever heard and believe it’s a splendid idea to overthrow our government.

The entire world’s gone crazy.

Gregor on December 29, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Sure…I’d love to see footage of a bunch of crazed BDSers being taken out by the Secret Service.

MadisonConservative on December 29, 2007 at 12:03 PM

All I see is a Barney Fife type screaming “citizen’s arrest”

bbz123 on December 29, 2007 at 12:02 PM

I’m actually thinking I could make a citizen’s arrest of my fellow employees right now, for sitting here actually talking about committing treason.

Gregor on December 29, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Is this the same kook that puts a flag outside her house on July 4th and Memorial Day? I heard this fruitcake has a full time job also and get a load of this, I think she goes to church.

lowandslow on December 29, 2007 at 12:07 PM

First of all, this is just the latest in a long line of idiocy up here. There have been countless moves to impeach passed at town and state levels. I stopped paying attention to which ones actually passed and which didn’t.

But besides Howard Dean, you forgot to mention civil unions (which one could argue were Dean’s doing, against the will of the people and even the legislature), the highest taxes per capita in the nation (and not surprisingly some are pushing to raise them further!). Want to eat up here? You’ll be taxed 9%… unless you’re in Burlington where it’s 11%, and on church street 11.5%. Oh yeah, remember that hippy psycho with the lighters who peed on that plain after visiting her boyfriend in Pakistan? She was from here. And I think O’Reilly let everyone know that if you want to molest children, this is the place to come because you won’t do any time for it. Oh, and Truthermania has caught on.

But I do have to take exception to this, Bryan:

Now I know that was only a joking jab at the Patriots, but I’ve gotta say, these people behind of this stuff aren’t Patriots fans… they’re rarely sports fans at all. How many BDS folks do you meet who actually think about sports? They don’t have time when they’re constantly stewing about Bush. If any of them claim to be sports fans, it’s in the transparent way that John Kerry makes the same claim. The people behind all the nonsense up here are far left hippy loons and sports are the furthest from their minds, I promise you.

RightWinged on December 29, 2007 at 12:10 PM

They’re just putting the “Brat” in Brattleboro.

Some of Daims’ drivel makes me wonder if he isn’t a Ronulan.

ReubenJCogburn on December 29, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Really? They can’t just wait 12 months like the rest of the Dems?

terryannonline on December 29, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Is there something in the water in Vermont?

Lead? Either that or the burned out hippies have been eating out of their homemade pottery again…

Zorro on December 29, 2007 at 12:16 PM

“Vermont…a hol’lotta has-beens & never-weres.”
advise given from an X-actress who lived in a Cabin on the Creek.

lobosan5 on December 29, 2007 at 12:17 PM

One can only imagine how there might be civil discourse in American politics, were it not for the simple act of Clinton unzipping his fly.

Think about it for a minute. Clinton behaves himself. No investigations. No special prosecutor. No impeachment. Politics as usual in DC with disagreements, arguments and every now and then a bi-partisan piece of legislation gets passed.

No, now and probably forever, it’s we hate them and they hate us and let’s even the score.

Thanks Slick Willie, you changed the political landscape for good, because of your immature and uncontrollable appetite for women.

fogw on December 29, 2007 at 12:20 PM

If I were Bush, I would be there tomorrow and show them just who is in charge and where to shove their asinine law.
When people elect these sick SOBs, they get the deserved reputation of being a bunch of jerk-a$$es.
Who in the world would chose to be lead but this bunch of idiots? More idiots, that’s who.

leanright on December 29, 2007 at 12:20 PM

Yeah, I’m not a fan of indulging crazies, but it would be nice to see Bush pointedly go exactly where they threaten him and more or less flaunt it right in their faces.

Too much crazy in the country, and it’s not good for us.

Kensington on December 29, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Brattleboro citizens……er..ah…don’t you mean New York carpetbaggers who scooped up cheap property so they can talk about the good life around the water coolers? I seriously doubt that Bob Newhart and Daryl & Daryl still live in the state.

Limerick on December 29, 2007 at 12:29 PM

BDS: There is no cure.

JammieWearingFool on December 29, 2007 at 12:31 PM

I left Vermont to live elsewhere. The place is Afghanistan with maple syrup. A$$backward population, Goracle-worshipping tree huggers, skyrocketing taxes, no jobs, and everybody screaming “US Out of Vermont.”

Rather oddly, I attribute most of this to their pro-gun politics. It’s the only state in the country where you can pack concealed heat with no permit required. The gun lobby is so strong that they will vote for a commie like Bernie Sanders just because he promised not to take away their guns. That’s all you need to get elected in Vermont: Promise to let everyone keep their guns and they’ll give you their vote, no matter what else your agenda pushes. If you can even spell “gun control,” they’ll run you out on a rail. Why they don’t shoot their politicians is beyond me.

thejackal on December 29, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Taze him! TAZE HIM!

BDavis on December 29, 2007 at 12:34 PM

Limerick on December 29, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Thanks for pointing that out… it’s not the natives of VT. Most of them have been driven out by elitist NYC libs. My grandfather transferred up here to head up VT’s FBI office in the 50s when it was a traditionalist sort of state. It’s my understanding that being a haven for Vietnam draft dodgers is what got the ball rolling for what we have today.

Oh by the way, if anyone wasn’t aware, Brattleboro is also the town where nudity is legal and teens hang out naked on street corners… never seen it myself, but it’s been on the news (even Fox) plenty of times.

RightWinged on December 29, 2007 at 12:38 PM

thejackal on December 29, 2007 at 12:33 PM

I consider that a point in their favor. Communist though they may be, they understand the basic concept behind self-rule: All amendments are null and void without the second to enforce them.

MadisonConservative on December 29, 2007 at 12:39 PM

thejackal on December 29, 2007 at 12:33 PM

First of all, the succession movement isn’t even close to being “everyone”, in fact it’s quite invisible unless you’re looking for it.

As for the whole gun control thing, that’s retarded. People vote for Bernie because they’re stupid and buy his promises. His support, like Obama, like Dean, etc. etc. is most clear among rich college kids and elitist NPR listening douches driving their Volvos. It’s not the guys who pack heat. Give me a break.

RightWinged on December 29, 2007 at 12:42 PM

I don’t think the USSS would have to shoot him: like Barney, he would shoot himself in the foot with his one bullet

William Teach on December 29, 2007 at 12:43 PM

BDS: There is no cure.

JammieWearingFool on December 29, 2007 at 12:31 PM

How about the federal government witholds all funding connected with the town of Bratboro?

sonnyspats1 on December 29, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Good old Vermont. They want to punish Bush but they don’t want to punish child molesters.

SoulGlo on December 29, 2007 at 12:44 PM

MadisonConservative on December 29, 2007 at 12:39 PM

I agree, but my point was that their pro-gun stance has left them politically intoxicated. The gun issue is important, but there are dozens of other issues that need addressing. You don’t really think that, outside of Vermont, Bernie Sanders would maintain such a gun-tolerant attitude? Being anti-gun is one of the cornerstones of the Left Mind (sorry for the oxymoron).

thejackal on December 29, 2007 at 12:47 PM

Give me a break.

RightWinged on December 29, 2007 at 12:42 PM

I lived in Vermont for 30 years. Don’t hold your breath for the break.

thejackal on December 29, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Gregor on December 29, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Whatever you do – get it on video.

I wanna watch.

Professor Blather on December 29, 2007 at 1:00 PM

RightWinged on December 29, 2007 at 12:38 PM

This comment is useless without pictures and helpful MapQuest directions.

Professor Blather on December 29, 2007 at 1:02 PM

The things you learn about Brattleboro. Let’s see, public nudity is legal and carrying a concealed weapon is legal. I’d like to see someone combine those two acts.

I just had a visual, nevermind, I don’t want to see it.

lowandslow on December 29, 2007 at 1:10 PM

My 2 college aged kids got caught in the midst of this yesterday on the way to ski. They called and said they wished I’d been there to join in the fun. In particular they were annoyed by one burqa wearin’ female holdin’ a “STOP THE TORTURE” sign. They felt sure I’d a got outta the car and voiced the opinion that “hel*, waterboardin’ ain’t torture it’s just good clean fun!” They were right.

Ex-tex on December 29, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Nothing would be better for the election then for Dick Cheney to drive into town and get out and buy some gum at the local 7-11.

If they bust him the moonbats will get slaughtered in the press.

If they don’t bust him the moonbats will get slaughtered in the press.

Go Dick!

Limerick on December 29, 2007 at 1:18 PM

RightWinged on December 29, 2007 at 12:38 PM

This comment is useless without pictures and helpful MapQuest directions.

Professor Blather on December 29, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Brattelboro isn’t a big town by any means. I’ve been there a few times. I’ll have to make a trip with a 300mm lens next Spring.

I saw plenty of BDS sufferers when I was in VT over Columbus Day weekend. Something tells me my W stickers and military bumper stickers weren’t welcome in a few places.

Mooseman on December 29, 2007 at 1:38 PM

I lived in Vermont for 30 years. Don’t hold your breath for the break.

thejackal on December 29, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Whatever, the point is that you’re wrong that people vote for Bernie because of the gun issue. That’s just silly. Go find one of the Volvo’s or Saabs with a Bernie sticker and you aren’t going to find a driver who totes a gun… or has probably ever seen one. I in no way mean to imply that anyone has any real, logical explanation for voting for Bernie… but it’s not the gun issue. In the campaign where he stomped (by an unbelievable margin I couldn’t believe) Rich Tarrant, the “gun issue” was barely (if ever) mentioned.

This comment is useless without pictures and helpful MapQuest directions.

Professor Blather on December 29, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Sorry Prof, but the only one I’m familiar with is this disgusting (yet G rated) image that always seems to pop up whenever this story is brought up… Well, I say “disgusting”, unless skinny hippy GUYS are your thing… if so, it’s the second link in this post:

Again, nothing really “bad” about the image, which is why it’s regularly used in MSM coverage… but it’s still gross, IMO.

RightWinged on December 29, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Snort.

The funniest thing about this sort of lunacy is that everyone in the sane world is laughing their butts off at this guy and he takes himself so seriously. It’s a riot, truly.

Chortle.

Bob's Kid on December 29, 2007 at 1:46 PM

everyone knows they’re insufferable.

I’ve never met a New Englander (New English?) who isn’t. I hope someone can prove me wrong someday.

fourstringfuror on December 29, 2007 at 1:48 PM

The entire world’s gone crazy.

Gregor on December 29, 2007 at 12:03 PM

They might have thought the same of you if they read your suggestion for hanging a few months ago.

Gregor, we’re not going to hang people. Cut it out.

Slublog on June 26, 2007 at 2:49 PM
LOL! “Cut it out?”

You keep sending faxes and see how that works out for you.

Gregor on June 26, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Bradky on December 29, 2007 at 1:48 PM

They should change the state motto from Freedom and Unity to Goat Cheese and Maple Syrup

Kini on December 29, 2007 at 1:48 PM

A couple I’d known 20 years moved from San Diego county to somewhere in Vermont and i bet that it was Battleboro. He’s a lefty but isn’t insane, however after his wife had suffered severe depression for many years she suddenly claimed that she had been abducted by aliens when she was 10. That explained it….Oh yea, and she admitted that, as our troops were moving in to overthrow Saddam, she had hoped that many more people would have died–to humiliate and discredit our President, our military, our country.
Needless to say, I don’t miss her.

Christine on December 29, 2007 at 1:52 PM

In Vermont, incest is not illegal, it’s a right.

volsense on December 29, 2007 at 1:59 PM

Well duh…It’s BRATtleboro.
‘Beat up the BRAT, beat up the brat with the baseball bat, oh yea, oh yea-ah, oh oh.’ Quote the Ramones, nevermore.

Christine on December 29, 2007 at 2:01 PM

I’m being optimistic about this. It’s winter; he’s probably bored in D.C. and looking to get out; Vermont is the only state he hasn’t been to in his term.

Maybe he waits for the vote, and if it passes him and Dick load up the 20 gauge and head to Brattleboro for a little winter grouse hunt. Bring along a dozen well-armed Secret Service types, natch, and make a big show in the center of town, maybe throw a presser on Afghanistan with the mayor.

Arrest me … I defy you.

Jaibones on December 29, 2007 at 2:21 PM

RightWinged on December 29, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Oy.

My eyes. My eyes.

Sigh. Why is life never, ever like the movie screen in my head? I had a picture of healthy, curvaceous, frolicking hippies, all bearing a remarkable resemblance to Jessica Alba, all wanting to give me flowers. And stuff.

You give me a picture of anemic, under-nourished, androgynous heroin addicts. Without one boob in sight.

Damn you.

Professor Blather on December 29, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Damn you.

Professor Blather on December 29, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Haha, I warned ya! Come on Prof, rule #1 if you’re a nudist is you have to be hideous. Everyone knows that! For whatever reason, the only people who insist on getting naked in public are those that the rest of us would least like to see naked.

Ever heard of the “World Naked Bike Ride”? It comes through town too:

NSFW

While you’ll notice a few (VERY few) females there, you’ll also notice that the photographers deliberate try to get them in the shots, but it’s clear the ratio is like 20-to-1 male-to-female.

BONUS: Signs saying “oil dependency is pornographic” and “burn fat not oil”

RightWinged on December 29, 2007 at 2:39 PM

Maybe Bush could throw out the triple dog dare.

Or, maybe I just saw A Christmas Story a few too many times this week.

William Teach on December 29, 2007 at 2:40 PM

I’m not clicking that link. You can’t make me.

Professor Blather on December 29, 2007 at 2:44 PM

In Vermont, incest is not illegal, it’s a right.

And an explanation.

Jim Treacher on December 29, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Gregor on December 29, 2007 at 12:03 PM

I think marching to DC and throwing out all the pols and starting over would be a good idea too. But, for much different reasons. Could you imagaine look on Teddy’s face and he was drug out of the capitol being told he was fired? LOL Oh well back to reality now.

boomer on December 29, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Pres. Bush’s visit to Vermont would go something like—
Travel tax $5.00
Arrival tax $5.00
Talking tax $5.00
Resisting arrest tax $5.00
Shooting idiots tax .45 cents
Etc.,etc. etc.

leanright on December 29, 2007 at 2:53 PM

leanright on December 29, 2007 at 2:53 PM

You forgot something

Stomping down a moronic uprising….priceless.

boomer on December 29, 2007 at 2:54 PM

boomer on December 29, 2007 at 2:54 PM
perfect

leanright on December 29, 2007 at 2:57 PM

If he takes his bike with him he is finished.

Limerick on December 29, 2007 at 2:57 PM

As president, Bush has visited every state except Vermont.

That is because Bush is a Fighter not a Lover! and we all know…..

TheSitRep on December 29, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Maybe we could sell Vermont to Canada in exchange for British Columbia. Nice area, a few hockey teams……

William Teach on December 29, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Dude’s a machinist and retired at 54?

Probly ran outta fingers.

Merovign on December 29, 2007 at 3:42 PM

And an explanation.

Jim Treacher on December 29, 2007 at 2:45 PM

And evidence. With compliments,

Entelechy on December 29, 2007 at 3:45 PM

I wish it would pass, and if I was President, I would fly that by whatever means necessary to be there as soon as possible and just beg them to arrest me. All hell will break loose. Secret Service, you name it will be on the town so fast, they will just show to the world what idiots they are.

WoosterOh on December 29, 2007 at 4:40 PM

I lived in Brattleboro, and I remember it being more conservative when I was younger. When I lived there they ran an adult book and video store out of town and our elementary school music teacher left his job after suggestions that some of the kids saw him coming out of a bar known as a gay bar at the time.

When I was a student at Keene State College (which was about a half hour away from Brattleboro), I would go in every once inawhile because they had decent movie theaters.

After the selectmen decided not to pass the anti-nudity ordinance this past summer, this move does not surprise me.

ScoopPC11 on December 29, 2007 at 5:03 PM

This is the same town that has a problem with people walking around in the buff. I live close enough to have sent the Brattleboro Chamber of Commerce an email letting them know I won’t come to their town and subject my kids to their naked crazy unwashed sagging hippies. (Or me, come to think of it!)

Little Boomer on December 29, 2007 at 7:16 PM

Pennies in a stream
Falling leaves, a sycamore
Moonbat in Vermont

ronsfi on December 29, 2007 at 7:28 PM

ronsfi on December 29, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Haicuckoo?

thejackal on December 29, 2007 at 8:59 PM

A trip to Vermont by bus,$100.00
Sight seeing all the crazy’s $30.00
A Special sight seeing of only BDS Vermont citizen’s $2.00
Can’t wait to leave Vermont,the quicker the better,
PRICELESS!

canopfor on December 29, 2007 at 9:01 PM

“We must remember, the Saudis Vermonters are our friends.”

GWB

thejackal on December 29, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Never mind whether this is foolish or not: it is unconstitutional. Please see my blog entry “The Brattleboro Bill of Attainder.”

radjah shelduck on December 29, 2007 at 9:12 PM

thejackal on December 29, 2007 at 8:59 PM

ronsfi on December 29, 2007 at 9:14 PM

thejackal on December 29, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Even better

ronsfi on December 29, 2007 at 9:15 PM

I never noticed it was Haiku.

ronsfi on December 29, 2007 at 9:18 PM

ronsfi on December 29, 2007 at 9:18 PM

You’re a poet and didn’t know it.

thejackal on December 29, 2007 at 9:21 PM

yeah it musta reallly went downhill….

crr6 on December 29, 2007 at 9:47 PM

Lets play devil’s adovate here. What would they arrest him for exatcly?

LordDaMan on December 30, 2007 at 12:47 AM

explains Nirenberg, who finds that his sense of outrage and jogging background help him complete 15 miles per day.

Now there’s an unfortunate name. Wot’s he gonna do when he gets done with his trek? What are all these people with BDS going to do when there’s another pres in the White House? We should track a few through this change in their lives and see what becomes of them.

4shoes on December 30, 2007 at 2:19 AM

I’m originally a southern girl and that’s where I live now, but I lived in northeastern Vermont from 2000-2003 during my first marriage. Even then, it was like another world. There were a few conservatives and it was during this time I really started getting into politics and doing what I could to help Bush to steal the 2000 election.

But Vermont was already well on its way to becoming a liberal lovefest thanks to all the immigrants from Massachusetts and New York trying to re-create the state in its own image. I believe my beloved late father said it best when my parents came to VT for a visit: “People are weird here.”

Kristi on December 30, 2007 at 8:42 AM

There are many Vermonters, particularly in the upper northeast and northwest part of the state, that do not deserve this scorn… many of these flatlanders that come into the state, from Massachusetts and Connecticut, destroy the state and give it an undeserved image. Much of lower Vermont is indeed liberal and there are quite a few leftist academics, yet Vermont’s conservative image, history, and traditions are alive and well… for those of you that want to see this image, think “Cambridge” and “Highgate” Vermont; holdouts of conservatism in the Green Mountain state…

IntheNet on December 30, 2007 at 9:01 AM

Even since Jumpin’ Jim Jeffords gave his “we Vermonters” speech I’ve had a mild case of VDS, which results in me becoming slightly p!ssed off whenever the Coke machine gives me Vermont quarters as change.

saint kansas on December 30, 2007 at 9:05 AM

IntheNet on December 30, 2007 at 9:01 AM

Sorry, Net, but I used to live there. When I think of Cambridge, I think of pot-smoking hippies. And when I think of Highgate, I think of people with three teeth and a fondness for their sister.

And all this chatter of Vermont character makes me ill. YES, VT has been overrun by people from outside the state. What of it? Once you have a VT driver’s license, you are a Vermonter. To claim you aren’t a Vermonter because your great-granddaddy didn’t shoot squirrels with Ethan and Ira is ludicrous. The whole notion of traditional Vermont is 50 years dead. Now bury it.

thejackal on December 30, 2007 at 9:14 AM

The whole notion of traditional Vermont is 50 years dead. Now bury it.

thejackal: What gets headlines is the radical, the crazy, and the outrageous. There are still pockets of Vermont that have not been touched by the infusion of flatlanders from down country and it is unfair to taint the entire state with liberalism. Vermont still boasts the most effective local government: Town Meeting Day, the purest form of democracy available today. Further, the traditional Vermont you wish to bury is very much alive yet it rarely gets headlines. I urge you to visit Cambridge on opening day of deer season or visit Highgate on Town Meeting day. Both events rarely get headlines but they characteristically represent conservative democracy in action. The real Vermont rarely gets in the newspaper.

Rather than bury traditional Vermont why not be part of its emphasis? These loons that wish Bush or Cheney arrested are fringe elements; be part of the traditional Vermont as real Vermonters reclaim the state and boot these loons out!

IntheNet on December 30, 2007 at 10:20 AM

IntheNet on December 30, 2007 at 10:20 AM

What gets headlines is the radical, the crazy, and the outrageous.

True.

1. Jury is still out on that.
2. Just about any Danziger cartoon accurately shows how silly Town Meeting Day is (i.e., “That G*Ddamned snowplow took out my mailbox again!”)

Further, the traditional Vermont you wish to bury is very much alive

I don’t have anything against “traditional Vermont” because it’s unfair to pick on 43 people.

Been there. Done that. Not Impressed at all.

These loons that wish Bush or Cheney arrested are fringe elements.

So now the Vermont Legislature is a fringe element?

1. I left because traditional Vermont is no longer in the driver’s seat; it is bound and gagged in the trunk.
2. Boot the loons out? These loons–and I suspect you will agree with me on this–are largely well funded out-of-staters who spent their lives making serious coin and took up residence in Vermont to get away from the congestion of wherever they came from. They are not going to be booted out.
3. Step One in solving the liberal lunacy in Vermont is to stop letting out-of-state college kids vote. That was the beginning of the end. Chittenden County runs Vermont, and the screwhead students at UVM and St. Mike’s College have no business voting!

Let’s back up just a bit. I don’t think you and I are philosophically opposed on any of these points. The line of demarcation between our positions appears, to me, to simply be I see traditional Vermont as a thing of the past and you feel it can be revived. No offense meant.

thejackal on December 30, 2007 at 11:21 AM

A clarification: No, it is not the Legislature that wishes Bush arrested (not officially). That’s just a couple morons from Brattleboro.

What I should have said was that the BDS mentality, currently rearing its head in Brattleboro is very much evident in the Legislature.

Someone previously mistook my meaning re the “US out of Vermont” comment to reflect the 4 college professors and 2 lawyers who want VT to secede from the union. Yes, the secession movement is puny; but the silly mentality is far more prevalent than a few people in the headlines.

thejackal on December 30, 2007 at 11:24 AM

I really wish the “real Vermonters” all the luck in the world driving the “people from away”(MA, CT, NY)out. The same thing is happening in southern NH and we don’t want them either. If you find a formula, let us know please.

jeanie on December 30, 2007 at 11:43 AM

“serious money” that’s only partly true in NH because property is cheaper here than MA in general. They come here mostly because they can’t afford to live in MA. Have a feeling if they could afford the waterfront properties and acreage in MA that they can afford up here, they would never have come. Silver lining? When MA finally implodes(and assuming they don’t take us all with them), maybe they’ll all go back? It’s too much to hope I guess.LOL

jeanie on December 30, 2007 at 11:56 AM

jeanie on December 30, 2007 at 11:43 AM

I sympathize, both with you and IntheNet, on the negative consequences of seemingly uncontrolled influx of people with, to be polite, radically different political and social viewpoints. Not to be a professional contrarian, however, one thing I like about living outside Vermont is that you don’t have to endure public scorn for having an American flag on your property. In Vermont, I can’t recall ever seeing an American flag anywhere but the post office and municipal buildings. In NJ, people fly them on their docks, put them at their place of business, etc. There is a large population of immigrants who are truly some of the most patriotic Americans you can meet. They left lousy places and found paradise in our country and are not ashamed to act like they are happy to be here.

When I was living in Vermont, if someone (the “Ma$$holes” as they are called) moved in, Vermonters decried the end of the world. Where I now live, if someone from Greece or Russia moves in down the street, hey, it’s just another day in the great melting pot. In Vermont, they hate their own countrymen.

So, yes, much grief comes from outside your own state. But out-of-staters also help to eradicate the backward provincialism that can easily take root when too many likeminded people spend too much time in too small a place. I can’t comment on NH, but despite their conservative outlook, there are many native Vermonters I would rather not share a cab ride with.

thejackal on December 30, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Fantasy Bush presser:

Helen Thomas: Do you plan to visit Battleboro Vermont to answer the charges that have been levelled against you?

Bush: Helen, I’d be glad to go and let them try to get past my security detail to arrest me. They’ll be the guys in the gray suits fitting people for straitjackets, heh, heh. If the State Police don’t cooperate, I’ll make sure that all the earmarks procured by their senator get plenty of media attention. But, I’ll only show up on the condition that they all promise to wear clothes.

smellthecoffee on December 30, 2007 at 12:12 PM

I have owned property in Vermont since 1981. I have watched a beautiful state turn into Area 51. I have watched the execrable Howard Dean quadruple property taxes. I have watched this state depend more and more on the teat of the flatlanders.

I have watched with bemusement the circle jerks conducted in the name of state business, described above. I have watched with bemusement the misuse of state tax funds expended on completely meaningless and invalid gestures.

I wait with baited breath to see the same elected officials vote to outlaw global warming or the next asteroid strike.

They have Boards of Education for about every town, some with school populations of 4-6 children. (That’s right- 4-6 kids) They maintain these miniscule little schools rather than regionalize, and that means the complete infrastructure for each of the mini-schools- staff, pensions, on and on. And then they wonder why schools are going to bankrupt this state.

And then they tell that young people are leaving the state. Who in their right mind would want to stay? If they don’t grant us property tax payers the right to vote here, this state will fail. I pay about 2-3 times as much in property taxes as most citizens but am not allowed to vote on those issues which affect me financially. That’s the Vermont magic; stick a siphon into your side and drain you without your permission.

The people in control of this state are incomprehensibly stupid.

drjohn on December 30, 2007 at 1:00 PM

I’m sure there are some, but destroy the state? Good grief, we pay for this state. We keep it alive. we pay for the idiotic school system here.

IntheNet on December 30, 2007 at 9:01 AM

I’ve been in Burlington and Montpelier. I’ve lectured there. You cannot make a Hillary joke. This state has a conservative tradition, but it’s being wrecked by the entitlement mentality.

Bernie Sanders

Jim Jeffords

What else is there to say?

drjohn on December 30, 2007 at 1:07 PM

drjohn One of my sons ex-girl friends moved there with her three kids on purpose because the welfare there was even better than MA. I hope that’s not the way we’re headed in NH. So far it’s quite a bit tighter than surrounding states.

jeanie on December 30, 2007 at 1:51 PM

The people in control of this state are incomprehensibly stupid.

drjohn on December 30, 2007 at 1:00 PM

No argument here.

thejackal on December 30, 2007 at 2:36 PM

Wait a minute. Were dishing on Vermont? You mean I can pack heat without government supervision? I can stand on the corner nekid and say “Arrest the President?” That sounds good to me. The whole country used to be like that not so long ago. Hey that guy’s a freak but that’s what America’s all about. We should be able to say and do what the heck we want! I am moving to Vermont! Live free or die!

ronsfi on December 30, 2007 at 7:18 PM

or not whatever…

ronsfi on December 30, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Live free or die!

ronsfi on December 30, 2007 at 7:18 PM

Put the bottle down. “Live free or die” is New Hampshire’s motto. Vermont’s is “Don’t Bogart that joint!” And you can’t “pack heat” if you’re nekid unless you use your patootee as a holster.

Jeez!

thejackal on December 30, 2007 at 7:28 PM

You know, lets stage this “overthrow” of the Bush Administration. We’ll have to do some planning, get supplies and materials together, sort out the manpower difficulties. As well as training, recruiting, etc.

This will probably take about a year, maybe a bit more.

Lets schedule this for January 21st, 2009. By then we should be ready, and setting a date now will help sort out the necessary timelines to get this done.

And yes, I know. No, really, I know. Please don’t pretend I don’t know. :)

gekkobear on December 31, 2007 at 12:35 AM

thejackal on December 30, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Oh YeaH!

ronsfi on December 31, 2007 at 1:09 AM

Live free or buy!

ronsfi on December 31, 2007 at 1:10 AM

The new slogan is

“Live Free – Live off of Others”

drjohn on December 31, 2007 at 8:52 AM

drjohn on December 31, 2007 at 8:52 AM

Maybe they should just brand their mentality as a new religion: Parasitology.

thejackal on December 31, 2007 at 9:36 AM