Video: McCain smacks Romney over new ad

posted at 9:44 am on December 28, 2007 by Allahpundit

Snotty yet enjoyable. You’ll find his new ad below the clip, waving the various newspaper endorsements he’s received in Romney’s backyard.

Dear Maverick,

When conservatives come up to you and say they want more bipartisanship to “get things done,” working with Ted Kennedy on amnesty and Russ Feingold on CFR isn’t what they have in mind.

Love, AP

Comments

Dittos.

Bryan on December 28, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Dear Maverick:

Conservatives dont want more bipartisanship.

They want more TRUE Conservatism.

Bipartisanship is for wimps.

Regards, AR.

Always Right on December 28, 2007 at 9:56 AM

On immigration, the set up: “We learned our lesson” = build a fence and the give amnesty or rather more likely, talk about building a fence but don’t and then give amnesty to 20 million illegals.

Mr. Mc Cain, American workers deserve wages driven not by government mandates but by market forces. But when you continue to find ways to import cheap labor you undercut those market forces. For many of us eventually, it becomes impossible to live!

Nyog_of_the_Bog on December 28, 2007 at 9:58 AM

Exactly. Getting things doesn’t count if they are bad.

Spirit of 1776 on December 28, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Conservatives don’t consider selling out to the Democrat agenda is bipartisanship any more than the junta of 14 deciding that they could usurp the entire nomination process because the Senate is so much more intelligent and “bipartisan” than the rest of the American public.

Bipartisanship by the McCain model got us the Harriet Meirs nomination for heavens sake!

highhopes on December 28, 2007 at 10:01 AM

John is just a day late and a dollar short. If he would have stood up for conservative principles on CFR and shamnesty, he’d be my #1 choice for the nomination. I believe he is honest, a genuine statesman, and his stances against terrorism are second to none.

As it is, I will have to settle for Rudy or Mitt.

csdeven on December 28, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Well, at least he doesn’t ride in something called a “Huckabus.”

That’s about the only good thing about McCain that comes to mind. And I really, really tried.

wccawa on December 28, 2007 at 10:03 AM

Dittos and megadittos.

My gad, if McCain ends up as the nominee, it’s going to take some real soul searching to vote for him, after all the times he’s sold us down the river. I’ll probably do it, since the alternative is so vastly worse, but it won’t be easy.

petefrt on December 28, 2007 at 10:09 AM

The only way I would ever vote for John McCain in a primary is in the unlikely event that he ran as a Democrat and the even-more-unlikely event that I voted as one.

Immolate on December 28, 2007 at 10:17 AM

No way to McCain. He will not become my fallback guy. He only gets credit for not being Rudy or Huckabee. Still, I’ll trust Mitt the flip-flopper, before I will McCain.

Jay on December 28, 2007 at 10:18 AM

I think the media needed someone to push after the truth started to come out about Huckabee. McCain is now their boy. They don’t dare push Fred or Miitt, both of whom they know would actually govern as conservatives.

davenp35 on December 28, 2007 at 10:18 AM

Why do we have these liberal Republicans rising to the top? Why do we always have to feel so inclined to elect them? Do we believe deep down that we need to elect them in order to win in a general election? For 8 yrs I’ve complained that George Bush is not a real Republican. He is extremely liberal on many issues (illegal immigration, affirmative action, free speech restrictions, JFK’s tax cuts were larger, belief that Global warming is a looming danger that we actually need to do something about, etc). For 8 years I’ve been looking forward to his departure from office so we can go ahead and fix this problem and actually elect an authentic Republican.

Now we have this situation festering. John “Amnesty isn’t Amnesty” McCain. When McCain was trying every trick in the book in order to pull the wool over the eyes of the American electorate with Shamnesty I knew, right then and there, that as president he would just be another George Bush re-incarnated. Why do we seem so determined to make the exact same mistake twice and make this RINO our nominee? The result of a George Bush Presidency is going to be Hillary Clinton in the White House coupled with a complete national misconception about what Republicans believe. What was once a party that could at least point towards results and accomplishments has now become synonomous with incompetency. This is not because George Bush is incompetent, it is because George Bush governed as a liberal. George Bush’s liberal tendencies have done more damage to the Republican party then any incompentent authentic Repubublican could ever have done.

Now we are standing at the crossroads again. We control our destiny yet are apparently determined to travel the same familiar, cowardly road we have travelled for two and a half decades. Do we want to be stuck with John McCain so that the day he gets into office we are all going to be forced again to get on the phone and bitch to our elected Reps to not flush our country down the Amnesty toilet. I swear to God we have a choice right now. We can either send a message to all politicians that if you try to push Amnesty down our throats YOU WILL NOT BE RE-ELECTED. Or we can do the opposite. We can send a clear message to all the politicians in the country that they are welcome to screw us all they want. We won’t only re-elect them but we’ll promote them to the Presidency!! How about that? You screw us American voters by trying to physically tear our national soverienty from our grasp and we will promote you to the Presidency. Thank you sir may I have another.

I for one will never be one of those John McCain voting lemmings. He tried to destroy everything that our founders created. He will pay the only way I have the power to make him pay. I am going to take that small bundle of power that I possess and I’m going to use it against him. I am not going to vote for him. I never will.

Zetterson on December 28, 2007 at 10:22 AM

csdeven on December 28, 2007 at 10:02 AM

McCain’s positions put him in second to last place on my list. Like these:

I would immediately close Guantanamo Bay, move all the prisoners to Fort Leavenworth (an army base in Kansas) and truly expedite the judicial proceedings in their cases,” he said. “I would reaffirm my commitment to address the issue of climate change and greenhouse gas emissions. I know how important this is in Europe in particular.”

Buy Danish on December 28, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Dear Maverick,

How much ‘bipartisan’ support have Senators Finegold, Kennedy et al provided for conservative-fronted measures? Has either crossed the aisle for a judicial nominee? Or to support a tax cut? Or entitlement reform? Or is ‘bipartisanship’ simply caving principles for the sake of showing progress to voters?

thirtypundit on December 28, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Apologies, Sen. Feingold, for the misspelling.

thirtypundit on December 28, 2007 at 10:54 AM

you know, seeing as amnesty as policy began with reagan…I can’t bring myself to use that as the be all end of a John McCain candidacy. I’m willing to overlook just about any domestic agenda as long the candidate can protect america and properly wage the wars we face today and the wars we could face tomorrow. Theres really only 3 people running that have it in them to do that. McCain, Giuliani, and Biden. Though their domestic agendas anger many, they come second behind understanding american might and influence.

ernesto on December 28, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Buy Danish on December 28, 2007 at 10:40 AM

You know what? You’re right. I forgot about that. Considering how many of them returned to terrorism after their release, that is a major issue that has to be considered. thanks for reminding me.

csdeven on December 28, 2007 at 10:59 AM

That fact proves McCain didn’t learn from the mistakes of the past. Not good. And more importantly, he was unresponsive to the concerns of the electorate until after he was forced to concede the issue. Think he would be advocating the position he is now if he were not running for POTUS? Hardly.

Spirit of 1776 on December 28, 2007 at 11:05 AM

Dear Maverick,

We also haven’t forgotten your bipartisanship as one of the Keating Five (along with four DEMOCRATS) and you were criticized for your “questionable conduct.”

With warmest regards,
CB

ConBlog_NH on December 28, 2007 at 11:10 AM

NRO hits back at McVain, and good.

The money shot:

McCain was a reliably conservative legislator for 15 years. Then he moved left for three years, so much so that liberals began urging him to change parties. Then he zigged back to the right.

I weep that they didn’t succeed.

thirteen28 on December 28, 2007 at 11:36 AM

I might take a second look at food poisoning (or not) but that doesn’t mean I’m going for the daily special at the Taco De Mexico Portable Gourmet Dinners Wagon.

McAmnesty is so far off course for America its pathetic.

Speakup on December 28, 2007 at 11:44 AM

I can’t stress this enough, McCain must be rejected on election day simply because of the message it is going to send to all politicians all accross the country. We have two and only two possible messages to send:

1). Betray us with Amnesty and you will be kicked out of office.

2). Betray us with Amnesty and we will reward you with a promotion to POTUS.

If we make John McCain our nominee every politician around the country will be taking careful notes on election day. Their notes will look something like this, “The American voters (especially Republicans) have short memories. Betray them and they will not hold it against you. Lie to them and they will re-elect you. Push Amnesty down their throats against their will and they will vote you to be their candidate for POTUS.”

Making John McCain our nominee will be a HUGE mistake. The consequences of which will be lasting and recurring for many years to come.

Zetterson on December 28, 2007 at 11:58 AM

endorsements from liberal arts students sitting on editorial boards….not exactly the best endorsement.

MarkB on December 28, 2007 at 12:40 PM

The elite RINOs will keep pushing their liberal, open borders sludge. With all due respect to John McCain, a patriot, he is an open borders liberal. He is better than Rudiani-Kerik and Hucklesbilly. Worse than Fred! and Mitt.

saved on December 28, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Zetterson on December 28, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Bingo, and Amen.

About the only thing he has on Huckabee is that he can find Afghanistan on a map.

thirteen28 on December 28, 2007 at 12:46 PM

If you are a Republican and the Boston Globe backs you:

1) You are a Liberal and not a Conservative

or

2) The worst Liberal paper in New England is under better management

Hening on December 28, 2007 at 1:12 PM

Sorry to say this about a “real” American patriot, but McCain’s six years of imprisonment have made him the “real” Manchurian Candidate. His actions are totally puzzling, especially since it’s “himself” he’s trying to destroy.

gunter on December 28, 2007 at 5:38 PM