Video: Huckabee doesn’t know which border Pakistan shares with Afghanistan? Update: Huck starting to slip in national polls?

posted at 11:30 am on December 28, 2007 by Allahpundit

Could be another simple misstatement, that what he meant “near those eastern borders of Afghanistan” instead of “of those eastern borders near Afghanistan.” But … dude. Rest assured there’s some intern at DNC headquarters clipping the video as we speak and filing it away for the grand “Huck doesn’t know what he’s talking about” compilation attack ad to debut next summer.

Well, take heart. Word’s starting to trickle out through the media about his taking speaking fees from embryonic stem-cell research firms — as well as groups pushing to expand use of the morning-after pill. And Barnett’s crunched the numbers of yesterday’s LAT poll and thinks it shows (a) Huck’s lead isn’t as big as it seems (a conclusion corroborated by other polls) and (b) some of his support comes from people who aren’t planning to vote but just sort of like the cut of his jib. When he’s pitching stuff like this at them–

In addressing criticism of a Christmas-week TV ad for blending faith and politics, Huckabee strikes an incredulous tone: People who would not care if he used “Jesus Christ” as a curse were complaining that he used the name in connection with Christ’s birthday.

His comment draws strong applause.

–how could they not?

Update: Huckabacklash!

Comments

THIS is news? Seriously?

He misspoke. Big frickin’ deal.

EduardoOTI on December 28, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Huck really isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed, especially when it comes to foreign policy.

davenp35 on December 28, 2007 at 11:32 AM

So the farmboy doesn’t know geopraphy, big surprise.

omnipotent on December 28, 2007 at 11:35 AM

No, I’m sorry, this collection of dipstick remarks is beginning to make Bush’s pop quiz of foreign leaders look like a harmless faux pas.

MadisonConservative on December 28, 2007 at 11:35 AM

How is it that Huckabee manages to combine the worst qualities of George W. Bush and Jimmy Carter into one hyper-religious obnoxious package?

And people elected him Governor…

BKennedy on December 28, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Huck is the candidate social cons go to, he doesn’t need to know much about foreign policy as far as they are concerned. Remember: politics is local. If you don’t have someone attacking YOU or potentionally attacking YOU then you go to the guy who will satisfy your social needs. That’s Huck for a lot of social cons. They don’t care that he doesn’t know where the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan are, they don’t even know where those two countries are on a map.

Some times I think bloggers and blog commentators are out of touch with the real Amercia out there.

bnelson44 on December 28, 2007 at 11:41 AM

It would also be a curious study to see how often he misquotes or otherwise distorts actual scripture. I would bet that he gets a failing grade there also. The man’s just a con-artist working the crowd.

bbz123 on December 28, 2007 at 11:41 AM

How many misstatements can one guy make before you start to wonder if they are really misstatements?

In other news, he’s apparrently not too adept with a shotgun.

thirteen28 on December 28, 2007 at 11:43 AM

Good grief!!!!! This man cannot be our candidate!

Winebabe on December 28, 2007 at 11:45 AM

He misspoke. Big frickin’ deal.

EduardoOTI on December 28, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Like he “misspoke” when he said the president had the NIE for 4 years. And he simply “misspoke” when he said he wasn’t aware of the hostile relations between Cuba and the U.S.. And he
“misspoke” when his immigration plan gives responsibilities to the INS – which doesn’t exist. And he “misspoke”…

amerpundit on December 28, 2007 at 11:45 AM

And people elected him Governor…

BKennedy on December 28, 2007 at 11:38 AM

lol, those are the people from the state of Arkansas, did ya ever see Deliverance?

TheSitRep on December 28, 2007 at 11:46 AM

Who in their right minds could vote for this nimrod for President? At this point, he appears even more clueless and dumb than Jimmy Carter and that is saying something.

katieanne on December 28, 2007 at 11:47 AM

How is it that anyone’s giving him a pass on this stuff? This is relatively minor in comparison to the others, but come on people. He’s a Not Ready for Prime Time Player.

Vizzini on December 28, 2007 at 11:49 AM

If this dolt is as dumb as he appears then the Republic is in deep trouble.

rplat on December 28, 2007 at 11:49 AM

He may not know much about the geography of the Middle East but he’s an incredible expert on God. Lets make him POTUS!

Zetterson on December 28, 2007 at 11:50 AM

Anybody remember how much hay they made out of Quayle and the potato spelling bee? How about the gotcha debate moment when Bush was asked about the presidents of Afghanistan and Pakistan?
The Huckster is losing his shine and the mask is being destroyed. Ann Coulter compares him to Jimmy Carter but to me he seems to be another slick talking former governor of Arkansas ala Clinton. I am really starting to have some concerns about how gullible the residents of AR are.

LakeRuins on December 28, 2007 at 11:51 AM

I’m sorry but all I’m seeing here is yet another attempt to influence the outcome of the primaries by disparate coverage of the candidates.

I will not vote for Huckabee under any circumstances but I’m an advocate of fairness. When comments like “take heart” are included in the opening thread, are we really to consider this open discussion or just another opportunity to bash a candidate whom some have decided are just too “religious” to be President.

highhopes on December 28, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Let’s just tell him he can put together a little band to play at the inauguration of a real candidate that actually wins. I’m sure he would be happy with that.It’s about as close as I would want this man to the WH.

bbz123 on December 28, 2007 at 11:52 AM

highhopes on December 28, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Bash? It’s his own words being used against him!

amerpundit on December 28, 2007 at 11:54 AM

I’m not sure where I found it, but recently I took an online quiz about Mid-East geography-match outlines of countries to names. I consider myself somewhat educated…and I was humbled quickly.
I know, I know-someone running for President should read up on this stuff-I’m just saying, unless you score perfect on Geography, you should find it in your heart to be a bit forgiving of Huck. BTY, I’m voting for Mitt, so I’m not a Huckster.

Doug on December 28, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Huckabash…I kinda like it.

Limerick on December 28, 2007 at 11:57 AM

From apologizing for the assassination yesterday to this bit today.. and not forgetting the infamous foreign policy pronouncement about “I stayed at a Holiday Inn”

it is growing increasingly clear that

Mike Huckabee is a Bible thumping IGNORAMUS.

Always Right on December 28, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Less than one week before Iowa and this is how I rank the canidates:

1- Mitt
2- Thompson
3- Rudy
4- McCain
5- Vote Democrat
6- Huck

lan astaslem on December 28, 2007 at 12:02 PM

some have decided are just too “religious” to be President.

I don’t think anyone here has “decided” he’s “too religious” to be President. There was another thread where the overwhealming feeling around here was that if he was a) actually a conservitive, and b) smarter than a turnup, he’s actually be a great candidate. But because he isn’t either, he has to be stopped before he gets too much momentum.

crazy_legs on December 28, 2007 at 12:02 PM

candidates…. er… I Hucked up!

lan astaslem on December 28, 2007 at 12:04 PM

BKennedy on December 28, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Bingo!

awake on December 28, 2007 at 12:04 PM

Fred Thompson/Jack Wheeler ’08!!!!

AZCON on December 28, 2007 at 12:05 PM

(Fred!/Joe Lieberman aka Dream ticket)

tree hugging sister on December 28, 2007 at 12:09 PM

All this and this morning Fox reported that they had to take stuff out of a room he was going to attend in order to make room for standing room only.

Sheesh

broker1 on December 28, 2007 at 12:14 PM

lan astaslem on December 28, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Switch 1 and 2 and that is my list.

Limerick on December 28, 2007 at 12:22 PM

For me the shine started coming off of the Huckster when questions were raised about his tax policies as governor. From there it went to his stance on illegal immigrants. After that it seemed there was just one example after another of him doing one thing and saying another. His religious beliefs, just like nay other candidates beliefs, are not a factor for me, but he made them the center piece of his campaign. I think he was hoping by appearing as the pious Christian questions about his other views and actions on other issues would be swept under the rug. Not with me.
“Deeds not Words”

LakeRuins on December 28, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Less than one week before Iowa and this is how I rank the canidates:

1- Mitt
2- Thompson
3- Rudy
4- McCain
5- Vote Democrat
6- Huck

lan astaslem on December 28, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Looks about right to me.

Zetterson on December 28, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Fred Thompson/Jack Bauer ’08!

MadisonConservative on December 28, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Thompson’s ads are going to run in IA! (just announced)

AZCON on December 28, 2007 at 12:29 PM

lan astaslem on December 28, 2007 at 12:02 PM

You’ve summed it up nicely.

BacaDog on December 28, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Allah, I think we have been around the candidates with SECOND LOOK. I think its time to start THIRD LOOK!

broker1 on December 28, 2007 at 12:39 PM

The Hucklebillies do not care. Reverend Mike is their guy.

saved on December 28, 2007 at 12:40 PM

as well as groups pushing to expand use of the morning-after pill

It’s never made sense to me why (some) conservatives are so opposed to contraception. It prevents abortions.

By the way, I’d love for there to be a presidential candidate history and geography contest. Huck would need a veritable encyclopedia of humorous quips to get him through that.

Mark Jaquith on December 28, 2007 at 12:45 PM

His ignorance is embarrassing to all of the other candidates. This is the person who wants to run the most powerful country in the world…and he is not too smart.

right2bright on December 28, 2007 at 12:51 PM

Less than one week before Iowa and this is how I rank the canidates:

1- Mitt
2- Thompson
3- Rudy
4- McCain
5- Vote Democrat
6- Huck

lan astaslem on December 28, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Pretty much where I’m at as well.

davenp35 on December 28, 2007 at 12:52 PM

I dislike this guy as much as the next real Republican who’s not falling for the “vote for me ’cause I’m Christian” BS that Huck has been selling… but this seems to be a simple innocent slip.

RightWinged on December 28, 2007 at 12:52 PM

highhopes on December 28, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Amen, my brother. In the broadest sense, I couldn’t agree more.

Then again … all of the major candidates have had their turn under the bash hammer. The bashing only starts when they do well – and only stops when they fade away. So the bashing may arguably be unfair, but its been applied pretty fairly. Everyone gets their fair share of the unfairness.

The only thing that makes it particularly unfair to Huckabee is that he doesn’t have many supporters here (or at least any brave enough to buck the group-think and admit it openly). When Lazy Fred! or See-Saw Romney get bashed, their supporters leap into the fray (usually blindly) with some kind of defense. Huckabee doesn’t get that, so it seems unfair.

(And it doesn’t help that Huckabee has a rare talent for providing fodder for the gristmill.)

Of course, it’s a crying shame we aren’t hearing more about what each candidate does and says right. That’s really what I’m interested in. If I want the gotcha-game, I can look anywhere. Literally anywhere. That game is easy.

Posts like this are just noise to me at this point. There’ll be another just like it tomorrow. And the day after that. Just noise.

Call me when somebody posts something positive. How about an ongoing series that highlights the good points for each candidate and invites supporters to clarify those points and critics to ask questions? One thread for each candidate? Side by side comparisons on major issues?

Yeah, I know. Human nature doesn’t work that way. And stuff like that doesn’t draw interest.

You sure picked an apt screen name, High Hopes. But I think you’re hoping a little too high. The bashing is much, much easier than the alternative. Almost no thought required, and it fills the seats. Such is life, such is politics, such is the blogosphere, such is humanity.

I’m depressed.

Professor Blather on December 28, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Why couldn’t Huckabee give the right border?

“I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don’t have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as in, uh, South Africa and, uh, the Iraq and everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, should help South Africa and should help Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children.”

That never gets old.

pedestrian on December 28, 2007 at 1:09 PM

From the Rasmussen poll it looks like Huck is continuing a steady decline from his big surge and Giuliani is continuing a steady recovery. Mitt and Thompson are stalled. McCain is slowly moving up.

bnelson44 on December 28, 2007 at 1:39 PM

pedestrian on December 28, 2007 at 1:09 PM

Snort!

Well played.

Professor Blather on December 28, 2007 at 1:40 PM

He misspoke. Big frickin’ deal.

EduardoOTI on December 28, 2007 at 11:32 AM

How do you know that he misspoke and that he’s not just ignorant?

But even if we assume, arguendo and generously, that he did indeed misspeak, his error is still troubling. It suggests a lack of fluidity with the facts. It makes you wonder what else he might “misspeak” about.

A candidate for president of the United States can be forgiven if he knows little about, say, Papua New Guinea. But he ought to have more than a passing familiarity with the world’s nuclear powers, don’t you think?

paul006 on December 28, 2007 at 2:09 PM

paul006 on December 28, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Especially during wartime and when troops are deployed in the region.

baldilocks on December 28, 2007 at 2:39 PM

INS – which doesn’t exist

really?

samuelrylander on December 28, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Interesting, how a headline and story involving the knowledge, or lack thereof, of geography ends with a Huckabee quote about his Christmas TV ad and mention of Jesus Christ.

Why am I not surprised? Just another effort to drag Christianity into the fray – relevance be damned.

Good work, atheist. The sock-puppet show goes on.

OhEssYouCowboys on December 28, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Huck is the candidate social cons go to, he doesn’t need to know much about foreign policy as far as they are concerned. …. They don’t care that he doesn’t know where the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan are, they don’t even know where those two countries are on a map.

bnelson44 on December 28, 2007 at 11:41 AM

You can speak for yourself, but not for this social con.

petefrt on December 28, 2007 at 5:31 PM

Meh. Sounds like he’s thinking about the eastern boarders of Afghanistan when talking about Pakistan. Kinda like what I did once when I turned left on red.

- The Cat