Huck on Bhutto: This could affect the continuation of martial law in Pakistan which, er, was discontinued weeks ago

posted at 2:10 pm on December 27, 2007 by Allahpundit

Minor misstatement or worrisome ignorance? After the NIE fiasco and his follow-on claim that Bush had four years to read a document that was only written over the past few months — not to mention the fact that he seems unsure of what’s in his own foreign policy plan — I’m less inclined than I’d normally be to give him the benefit of the doubt. Or am I looking at this the wrong way and should take heart in the fact that he knew martial law had been imposed in the first place? (Technically it was emergency rule, but close enough.) I said before that the Bhutto fallout probably benefits no one, but to the extent that it forces a bit more foreign policy talk into the debate, it may hurt Huck.

He can probably wriggle out of this with a Romney-esque “it depends on what the meaning of ‘continuing’ is.” Or maybe he’ll atone by tacking back to the left on immigration. He insists he hasn’t changed his positions, but good luck telling that to his old, brokenhearted, open-borders allies.

Update: People are sending me the link from the Corner quoting Huck as expressing “our sincere concern and apologies for what has happened in Pakistan,” as if to suggest that by “apologies” he meant to blame America instead of what he obviously meant, i.e. “sorry for your loss.” If we’re going to demonize the guy to the extent of twisting his words that far then maybe it’s time for a moratorium on posts criticizing him. They’ve obviously driven people batty.

Comments

Minor misstatement or worrisome ignorance?

Where Huck is concerned, I think I’ll go with worrisome ignorance and add fool for good measure.

katieanne on December 27, 2007 at 2:14 PM

Minor misstatement or worrisome ignorance?

I want to see the video…I don’t trust anything reporters report anymore. Not that I’m a Huck fan, but I still want to be fair…

JustTruth101 on December 27, 2007 at 2:20 PM

“No what I meant was the discontinued TALK of martial law. Not that martial law was still imposed.”

broker1 on December 27, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Nuance. clueless

AZCON on December 27, 2007 at 2:25 PM

I believe that it can be summed up as willful or malicious ignorance. He really is the Jimmy Carter of the GOP, just without the latent idiocy

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on December 27, 2007 at 2:28 PM

What a featherweight. It is unbelievable that this uninformed dolt is actually a serious contender for the White House.

Zorro on December 27, 2007 at 2:28 PM

I dont fault him for mis steps. But his policy positions are a disaster and that is what bothers me

William Amos on December 27, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Huck thought they were talking about marital law. He’s for good marriages.

BacaDog on December 27, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Well, he may be an overly liberal socialist that is ignorant on foriegn policy issues, but at least he loves Jesus!!!

JayHaw Phrenzie on December 27, 2007 at 2:41 PM

DING! Fries are done.

Brass Pair on December 27, 2007 at 2:42 PM

Now compare the Hucksters comments with this, and ask yourself …why Huck?

ChrisM on December 27, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Huck needs this to get up to speed on these pesty furrin’ affairs.

Nichevo on December 27, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Weird choice of words earlier in the story:

ORLANDO, FLA. — With about 150 supporters crowded around a podium set up on the tarmac of Orlando Executive airport (and about 20 Ron Paul supporters waving signs outside) Mike Huckabee strode out to the strains of “Right Now” by Van Halen and immediately addressed the Bhutto situation, expressing “our sincere concern and apologies for what has happened in Pakistan.”

Maybe a slip of the tongue, but he’s had a few too many of those in regards to foreign policy.

Slublog on December 27, 2007 at 2:49 PM

our sincere concern and apologies for what has happened in Pakistan.”

The Corner’s trying to make a big deal of that. Obviously he means “sorry for your loss.” To try to turn it into a blame-America thing would beggar belief.

Allahpundit on December 27, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Doesn’t need to know all this stuff. God will tell him what to do. Look at it as voting for God for president.

ronsfi on December 27, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Allahpundit on December 27, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Just a matter of time Big A.

ronsfi on December 27, 2007 at 2:55 PM

That’s what I figured. But geez…someone hand Huckabee a thesaurus for crying out loud. “Condolences or sympathies” would have been much better words to use.

Slublog on December 27, 2007 at 2:56 PM

is Ron Paul claiming US Foreign Policy caused this yet?

jp on December 27, 2007 at 2:58 PM

This guy is a charming idiot. But vote for him because he’s a hard-core Baptist! Sheesh!!

kcluva on December 27, 2007 at 3:01 PM

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that if it hurts Huck, it also benefits everyone else.

Lehosh on December 27, 2007 at 3:04 PM

I’m guessing the Holiday Inn Express was fully booked last night.

(psst Huck … Francisco Franco is still dead, too).

thirteen28 on December 27, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Maybe not batty (more than usual, anyway), but I’m certainly disinclined to give Huckabee the benefit of the doubt on questions of foreign policy.

Slublog on December 27, 2007 at 3:13 PM

There’s a simple explanation, he’s a dumbass.

Besides that, he has advisers, doesn’t he?
That means either he’s not exec. enough to chose good ones or he’s off on his own planet so much he doesn’t get what they’re telling him and isn’t articulate enough to convey accurately.

Which would make him a double dumbass.

Speakup on December 27, 2007 at 3:24 PM

“Oh yes, and I’m a Christian. Did I mention that?”

saint kansas on December 27, 2007 at 3:36 PM

There’s a simple explanation, he’s a dumbass.

That’s a good explanation but …

[He's] a double dumbass.

that’s a better one.

I won’t say he was trying to blame America when he made his apology, mainly for the fact that as a rule I don’t attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity. When Huck speaks on foreign policy issues, stupidity abounds.

thirteen28 on December 27, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Let me remind you all of what the moonbats will say about Huckabee’s ignorance and they will persuade people with this insight. They’ll say we’ve had an ignorant Republican president in Bush for eight years. Isn’t Huckabee just your typical Republican president. Even Reagan, great communicator that he was, wasn’t able to convince the left he was intelligent. Gerald Ford, George Bush, and Eisenhower were also not viewed as the sharpest knives in the drawer. Only Nixon–the hated tricky Dick–was viewed as intelligent by the left of the Democrat Party.

If we will only nominate Rudy or Fred, we will deny the left the ability to play the intelligence (or shallowness) card. I believe this will have long term beneficial effects for the Republican Party.

thuja on December 27, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Gov. Huckabee is a player with the calculated “ah shucks” of Bubba, and the populist constituency of any Baptist Church with a good preacher. This provides a good platform for a Presidential run.
Nonetheless, I agree with both Rich Lowry, and Ann Coulter on this guy.[Whoa!]
Huckabee is neither an establishment Republican, nor a Christian conservative. His naive and stumbling pronouncements today are just a foretaste of future disaster.
If Huckabee is not politically buried by Republicans and conservatives in the Primaries, he will consider a 3rd party bid and put us all in danger of HillaryCare.

Randy

williars on December 27, 2007 at 4:13 PM

Sheesh…is it gonna take a rabbit attackin this guy in a canoe for people to make the connection?

Wind Rider on December 27, 2007 at 4:18 PM

is Ron Paul claiming US Foreign Policy caused this yet?

jp on December 27, 2007 at 2:58 PM

He got out there late, but yep, he is.

steveegg on December 27, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Allah, Eric Stakelbeck was just on FNC saying this assassination could backfire on the jihadist.

Zorro on December 27, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Slublog on December 27, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Agreed; the definition of “apology” shouldn’t be lost on a Presidential candidate… and that he gives us fodder to criticize him by doesn’t mean that we should cease to criticize him for it.

Welcome to the Big Pond, Huck.

Vizzini on December 27, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Huck “saw” martial law, so that means there was martial law…you see, if you “saw” that means you feel it. So even if it wasn’t there, it was there…anyway that is what the Mitt-wits tell me.

right2bright on December 27, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Yeah… but… uh… did you know hear that he’s a Christian?

RightWinged on December 27, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Allahpundit on December 27, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Nobody running could be that dumb. But apology equal sorry, especially in the rest of the world.

silverfox on December 27, 2007 at 5:00 PM

Nobody running could be that dumb.

Sorry, I forgot about Ron Paul.

silverfox on December 27, 2007 at 5:01 PM

our sincere concern and apologies for what has happened in Pakistan

Does the word “apologies” have a very different meaning in Arkansas than it does in the rest of the country?

MB4 on December 27, 2007 at 5:03 PM

I’m not a Huckabee fan, but:

-anyone who thinks he meant “apologies” in the Jimmy Carter sense needs to get their radar recalibrated;

-the fact that he might not have known that martial law, or whatever it was, was discontinued is really a minor gaffe.

More important to me is his lack of overall gravitas, his obvious discomfort with speaking off the cuff, and his vacuous “ballots not bullets” moralizing.

Potfry on December 27, 2007 at 9:50 PM

Potfry on December 27, 2007 at 9:50 PM

If this were his first foreign relations gaff, I’d be more forgiving. This is the same Huck that didn’t understand why we have an embargo on Cuba. I never even ran for student council and even I knew that one.

darury on December 28, 2007 at 9:45 AM

I’d vote for Quayle over this moron.

Metro on December 28, 2007 at 10:18 AM