Video: The Japanese cell phone that makes the iPhone look like yesterday’s news

posted at 5:50 pm on December 21, 2007 by Bryan

It’s called the Chokkan (“Inspiration”), made by Docomo and so far only available in Japan. What makes it so amazing?

The accelerometer. That turns the phone into a mobile Wii-like game system. In this commercial, they’re bowling.

Motorcycle racing.

And this fairly dull video explains it in more detail.

Yeah, I want one.

Comments

Infidel.

Allahpundit on December 21, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Japan is a vending machine.

RiverCocytus on December 21, 2007 at 5:55 PM

Yeah, I want one.

Infidel.

Allahpundit on December 21, 2007 at 5:51 PM

So, the race is on. Who gets their phone of choice first, and how do they get it?

Frozen Tex on December 21, 2007 at 5:55 PM

That’s cool. Just think when they add projection to TV – play your cell like a wii.

Spirit of 1776 on December 21, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Ha Ha, first comment wins the thread.

RushBaby on December 21, 2007 at 5:58 PM

We are a house divided.

Bryan on December 21, 2007 at 5:59 PM

The sad thing is that pretty much any windows mobile phone blows the iphone out of the water. The iphone is sexy and all, but it has the functionality of a razr. Take my stupid Sprint Mogul:

-Ability to share its internet access with multiple computers via wifi
-Expandable storage space up to 32gb
-Fully customizable, hundreds of applications
-full keyboard
-touch screen
-Can emulate anything an iphone does (if thats your bag)
-etc.

muyoso on December 21, 2007 at 6:05 PM

OK, now they’re just getting dumb. Combining any two or three gadgets together qualifies as cool? How about a geiger counter in your cell phone? Or a garage door opener? Can opener? See, I can do it too!

stonemeister on December 21, 2007 at 6:12 PM

As long as the cell phones don’t come with Grand Theft Auto in them.

terryannonline on December 21, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Right now, anything electronic coming out of Japan is news.
If I were stuck in an airport and had to choose between an iPhone and this gadget, there would be no question which one would win.

Kini on December 21, 2007 at 6:14 PM

I guarantee this doesn’t catch on.

Exit Question: Why is it any time I’ve ever seen a representation of Japanese girls, they’re giggly?

RightWinged on December 21, 2007 at 6:14 PM

I used to live there. They are, in fact, quite giggly.

Bryan on December 21, 2007 at 6:15 PM

Fred Flintstone bowled. Nothing new or cool about that.

tommuck on December 21, 2007 at 6:15 PM

I used to live there. They are, in fact, quite giggly.

Bryan on December 21, 2007 at 6:15 PM

Haha, not the answer I expected. I figured it was just a media hyped stereotype.

RightWinged on December 21, 2007 at 6:22 PM

Nintendo has, IMO, left a lot of money on the table by not developing a mobile phone linked to their DS and Wii technologies, and I think this proves it.

As for the giggling, the answer is a cultural obsession with kawaii, roughly translated as “cuteness”.

Nessuno on December 21, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Cool, I guess.

More impressed with the giggly Japanese girls.

conservnut on December 21, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Any trout fishermen here? Remember the old fishing game machine, circa 1998? Motion sensing would tell you how far and how accurate was each cast of the rod. Lots of fun, for a while anyway.

Japanese girls are giggly? A motion sensor would quantify this for us also.

petefrt on December 21, 2007 at 7:21 PM

No thanks I’ll keep my iphone

Defector01 on December 21, 2007 at 7:22 PM

stonemeister on December 21, 2007 at 6:12 PM

I wouldn’t mind a dosimeter in my cell phone. Especially if a democrat takes the whitehouse.

boomer on December 21, 2007 at 7:23 PM

Meh; I’m waiting for one with the 40-watt phased plasma rifle.

steveegg on December 21, 2007 at 7:27 PM

We are a house divided.

Bryan on December 21, 2007 at 5:59 PM

Just get Huck to say something about both phones; that’ll reunite you :-)

steveegg on December 21, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Why didn’t I go to the Tokyo Game Show 2007?

At :38-:47, in the background between the interpreter and Hiroshi-san, four models handing out literature wearing vinyl hot pants and thigh high boots.

slp on December 21, 2007 at 7:31 PM

Fred Flintstone bowled. Nothing new or cool about that.

tommuck on December 21, 2007 at 6:15 PM

There’s a world of difference between watching Fred bowl, and watching hot, giggly Japanese women do it.

I’m not even into bowling, but they make it….oddly compelling.

Vyce on December 21, 2007 at 9:50 PM

Seppuku attachment sold separately.

Japan is a vending machine.

RiverCocytus on December 21, 2007 at 5:55 PM

LOL!

CP on December 21, 2007 at 10:41 PM

“Chokkan this, Steve Jobs!”

mikeyboss on December 21, 2007 at 11:07 PM

I always thought an electric razor would be a useful component on a cell phone.

mikeyboss on December 21, 2007 at 11:09 PM

…as if plain old cell phones weren’t annoying enough…

landlines on December 21, 2007 at 11:48 PM

I’m assuming that was Anna Tsuchiya in that first video.

Yea, I’m a Japanese music/movie cultural buff. Wanna fight about it?!

CTDeLude on December 22, 2007 at 12:37 AM

the iPhone has an accelerometer. That’s how it knows when its sideways. Yes, its accessible by 3rd party programs – that is, if your phone is jailbroken.

Whats the big deal again?

triple on December 22, 2007 at 12:56 AM

Actually, a somewhat more accurate translation for chokkan (直感) is intuition instead of inspiration. The chokkan games are called such because they can supposedly be played with intuitive motions.
Thus 直感ボウリング means “chokkan bowling” or intuition bowling.
If the copyright folks were going to be slightly more precise, the proper word would be 直感的 (chokkanteki), where the “teki” (的) part converts the word 直感 (a noun particple meaning “intuition”) into intuitive, which is a na (な)type adjective. But as apparently happens everywhere, advertising tends to condense language.
You can find the Japanese Docomo website page that highlights the bowling video here.
Chokkan bowling is in the title on the left right after the word THE appears in English.

Herikutsu on December 22, 2007 at 12:59 AM

I’m assuming that was Anna Tsuchiya in that first video.

Yea, I’m a Japanese music/movie cultural buff. Wanna fight about it?!

CTDeLude on December 22, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Dude…this is Seahawk from CHUD…please don’t tell me you’re the same CTDeLude guy and you too read HOTAIR on a regular basis…if you are said person…this is a very small world.

techinblack on December 22, 2007 at 3:11 AM

CTDeLude on December 22, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Based on the transcript at the Docomo site, here are the names of the 4 girls with my best guess at the pronunciation (sometimes with names it is hard to tell).

土屋 アンナ – Tsuchiya Anna
蒼井 優 – Aoi Yasa (could be Yuu)
吹石 一恵 – Fukiishi Kazue
北川 景子 – Kitagawa Keiko

Herikutsu on December 22, 2007 at 4:03 AM

That was HOT! The phone is kinda cool too.

Seriously, I remember going back home via Japan and noticing when we landed in Narita, all the Japanese passengers started turning their cell phones on. I’m looking at my no-frills Motorola and gaping at all the technological wonders being brought to life around me. That was 2002. I likened it to a sci-fi film where someone wakes up from a long coma and is mesmerized by the wonders of the ‘futuristic’ technology.

geckomon on December 22, 2007 at 5:04 AM

They pour a lot of money into R&D. Anyway, it doesnt compete with the iPhone. Not even in the same class of phone.

Aaaaand, buy American.

dogsoldier on December 22, 2007 at 8:19 AM

If the Iphone has an accelerometer, than can it play these games?

When Docomo can make it as a data card that slides into the phones memory slot it would become more popular. Especially, if the young girl in yellow comes with the card to show you how to install and play with it.

MSGTAS on December 22, 2007 at 10:24 AM

Dude….No freakin way! This is the same guy from CHUD and yes I do read Hot Air regularly. Damn it is a small world. I ditched the message board over there for friendlier pastures.

CTDeLude on December 22, 2007 at 12:12 PM

stonemeister

How about those kids today with their Rock and/or Roll? What with those outlandish pants and such. Why, back in my day we didn’t even have a rotary phone! We had a party line, and we liked it! Music was played on a phonograph and was essentially unintelligible! What’s with this colour TV, anyway? I tells ya, radio should be good enough.

Oh, and I think the day is coming when there will be bluetooth enabled garage door openers.

Krydor on December 22, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Do the Japanese like Bowling? Cause Rock’n Roll feels better than bowl’n and bowl’n feels better when the ball is roll’n

Drtuddle on December 22, 2007 at 2:05 PM

Uh. It’s kinda hard to keep your eyes on the screen while you’re moving the whole damn thing around…

Seixon on December 22, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Asian, countries-especially Asian Pacific nations are generally 2 years ahead of the curve in consumer application of cellphone technologies.

mylegsareswollen on December 22, 2007 at 6:24 PM

OK – what is/was CHUD? Does it have anything to do with the movie of the same name?

least1 on December 22, 2007 at 6:27 PM

“Chokkan this, Steve Jobs!”

mikeyboss on December 21, 2007 at 11:07 PM

Dude, I’m giggling like a Japanese schoolgirl!! Good one.

tickleddragon on December 22, 2007 at 9:15 PM

It’s a movie website that once upon a time had a rather nice community when it first started out. But then the political boards made everyone enemies and, last I checked, the conservatives ran for more civil pastures.

CTDeLude on December 23, 2007 at 3:15 AM

Oh and yes it was named after the movie of the same name.

CTDeLude on December 23, 2007 at 3:16 AM

I laugh at you virtual bowlers, while I relax and sip my Ipuccino.

Shy Guy on December 23, 2007 at 3:34 AM

This is one of those times that you think, “How come no one thought of this before?” and then of course, “Why didn’t I think of that?”

Signed,

Not quitting my day job.

ronsfi on December 23, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Herikutsu on December 22, 2007 at 12:59 AM

I’m sorry but Chicken Bowling is just cruel.

ronsfi on December 23, 2007 at 12:27 PM