Video: How Christmas went commercial

posted at 4:18 pm on December 21, 2007 by Allahpundit

A mild affront draws an appropriately mild rebuke from Australian Catholics and Anglicans. As usual, more interesting than the offensive work are some of the reasons given for taking offense. Quoth Sydney’s Anglican bishop:

“The gifts that the wise men were giving were appropriate for a king, so the notion that Jesus would reject them is absurd,” Dr Davies said.

Is that really the lesson of the Magi? That if they’d have stiffed Jesus with silver or bronze instead of gold, he might very well have tossed it over the side of the crib? Man, my Catholic school upbringing was more full of holes than I realized.

Comments

Man, my Catholic school upbringing was more full of holes than I realized.

How do your knuckles feel?

Kini on December 21, 2007 at 4:26 PM

How about following with Mohammad giving his nine year old bride some of their stuff as a wedding gift and she tosses it?

Hening on December 21, 2007 at 4:26 PM

pa rum pa pum pum. . . my gift is my song on my drum. . . pa rum pa pum pum.

ThackerAgency on December 21, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Seriously, though, wasn’t the point of the Magi story that they recognized Jesus’s divinity and acknowledged it as best they could? And Jesus, being Jesus, was grateful for the gesture? The idea that he would have sniffed at gifts that were less than kingly seems … what’s the word I’m looking for? Stupid, let’s say.

Allahpundit on December 21, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Only two comments before the first Islam comparison? That’s a new record, I think.

Who’ll be the first to say, “Notice, the Catholics and Anglicans aren’t burning down embassies because of it”? True enough. Thanks, Anglicans and Catholics.

Allahpundit on December 21, 2007 at 4:29 PM

oh come on, that’s a funny commercial. Give it a rest. If it concerned Muslims I’d expect outrage at this. But come on people, there’s nothing to get upset about in that commercial. Whatever, it was funny.

ThackerAgency on December 21, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Remember, Jesus was born a Jew.

Kini on December 21, 2007 at 4:29 PM

I’ll say it. Then I’ll go step on a Koran. ‘Cause that’s how I roll.

mjk on December 21, 2007 at 4:34 PM

Yes, as a newborn The Christ-child was very discerning, indeed. Meh.

robblefarian on December 21, 2007 at 4:37 PM

Allahpundit on December 21, 2007 at 4:27 PM

I don’t mean to argue with you or Rowan, but if Jesus was an infant it doesn’t seem that he was giving any thumbs up for any gift since he was, an infant.

The funny take on this is Life of Brian when they drop the gifts off to the wrong stable and then come back to get them.

Hening on December 21, 2007 at 4:38 PM

Awesome ad.

Vizzini on December 21, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Yeah, although this gets us into the debate of whether Jesus’s capacities were roughly the same as a mortal man (aside from the occasional raising of the dead) or whether he had a little extra divine nuance working for him from the beginning.

Allahpundit on December 21, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Luke 21:1-4
As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. “I tell you the truth,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”

GoodBoy on December 21, 2007 at 4:39 PM

I’ll say it. Then I’ll go step on a Koran. ‘Cause that’s how I roll.

mjk on December 21, 2007 at 4:34 PM

You’re just an Everyday Normal Guy, mjk.

Matticus Finch on December 21, 2007 at 4:40 PM

I’m surprised that the atheists and non-Christians aren’t upset that they used the Nativity scene in a public commercial. It’s not like the Nativity scene is allowed in secular America anymore for fear of offending non-Christians.

That ad is great, and I wish I had thought of it.

ThackerAgency on December 21, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Were these Magi Wise Guys part of any family that we know exists?
Recognition of a new Don Jesus?

Kini on December 21, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Allahpundit on December 21, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Just to be on the safe side, maybe we should destroy every electronics store in Australia. In case Little Baby Jesus (thank you, Ricky Bobby) is offended.

Frozen Tex on December 21, 2007 at 4:49 PM

Pronounced Hay-zeus

Kini on December 21, 2007 at 4:57 PM

… what’s the word I’m looking for? Stupid, let’s say.

Allahpundit on December 21, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Yep – that’s a good word for it.

If they had just said “It is commercializing a sacred moment of our faith – and we want to object to that,” it would have been less…stupid. I think.

As for the ad – meh.

nailinmyeye on December 21, 2007 at 5:08 PM

There’s no certainty on his age when the “wise men” visited. There is a range of 41 days to 2 years. A child of 18 months or so would certainly be capable of rejecting a gift. “No” is a common word for children of that age!

Suggesting that Jesus would know the difference between brass and gold at such an age is rather silly, so I don’t see how the “worthiness” of the gifts should be factored in.

Mark Jaquith on December 21, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Allahpundit on December 21, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Not trolling for extra comments now, are we? Nope didn’t think so. I could bite…but I won’t.

inviolet on December 21, 2007 at 5:35 PM

Allahpundit on December 21, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Well, I saw the ad and my first thought was about how Buddhism warns that desire causes suffering. A little Buddhist insight wouldn’t hurt even fundamentalist Christians during the festival of the commercial Santa Claus.

thuja on December 21, 2007 at 5:51 PM

No snowflakes? What a crappy ad.

Seriously:

[Allahpundit on December 21, 2007 at 4:27 PM]

Yes, and

[Allahpundit on December 21, 2007 at 4:39 PM]

yes. That’s pretty much why I didn’t like this ad whereas I didn’t mind the Italian bottled water (or whatever manufacturer’s product) ad that was posted on several days ago.

Dusty on December 21, 2007 at 6:13 PM

As for the ad – meh.

nailinmyeye on December 21, 2007 at 5:08 PM

I think you missed the point of AP’s entire quote!

Allahpundit on December 21, 2007 at 4:27 PM

I believe he was talking about the ad itself, not the criticism of it.

[p.s. be sure and let us know when your baptism is scheduled]

leepro on December 21, 2007 at 7:24 PM

see AP? Jesus dint get an Iphone either!1

amend2 on December 22, 2007 at 12:53 AM

Cathy Ladman:

My best friend is Lutheran and she told me when Jesus was born, the Three Wise Men visited him and they brought as gifts: gold, frankincense and myrrh. Myrrh? To a baby shower? I guess Mary was very polite about it: ‘Myrrh. How—lovely. You can never have enough—myrrh. Couldn’t they have brought something we need—like a cradle? Jesus Christ! Hey, that’s what I’ll name him—it’s much better than Jeff!’

more:

Then Joseph and Mary would throw parties. ‘Who’s coming? The Wisemans! They always bring bad gifts. I hope they follow the wrong star and get lost. Bad mood—bad mood! Of course I’m in a bad mood. I haven’t had sex—EVER!’

JimC on December 23, 2007 at 3:12 AM