Video: Media criticism of Fred has been “stunningly unfair,” says Jeri

posted at 12:05 pm on December 19, 2007 by Allahpundit

“Stunningly” unfair? Really? There were (and are) a lot of Fredheads who read this blog who weren’t real thrilled with his performance between, say, May and late November. And they’re not ones to be easily swayed by “stunningly unfair” media criticism.

No matter. Per the Pickler/Burnett rule, I find her shameless spin a ray of sunshine on this otherwise gray December day. Click the image to watch. If one clip’s not enough, dig in.

jeri-unfair.jpg

Comments

I think “stunningly unfair” is a bit of hyperbole. Sure, it hasn’t been totally fair, but what criticism of a candidate has been totally fair? I’m beginning to like Fred, and Jeri, but if I were them I would hide this clip.

Snidely Whiplash on December 19, 2007 at 12:11 PM

I think it’s unfair that the news only covered what they thought of his campaign, but barely at all on his background and positions. He makes them clear regularly, and has even done so in the last few months, albeit less loudly. We don’t want a campaigner for president, we want a good leader.

MadisonConservative on December 19, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Well, you know what they say, “the squeaky wheel gets the oil.”

I think the Thompson’s campaign is going for the underdog role now. And you know how much we all love our underdogs!

CTDeLude on December 19, 2007 at 12:16 PM

U-B-Wrong ole Allahpundit, Fred made this criticism back when he last visited Mike Wallace’s lad Chris. At worst, Jeri (remember Trophy Wife? the media concocted?) is aping Fred’s points. Think how original, wife and husband actually talk and share same views.

Since then, O’Reilly doesn’t list him on his list of candidates for which the Fox hounds can cast votes for, etc. Surpisingly, and disappointedly, CNN gives better coverage on Fred than Fox Noose.

Captain America on December 19, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Like Bill about Hil, Jeri would definitely vote for Fred, even if she wasn’t married to him.

JiangxiDad on December 19, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Note to Jeri: Some of it has been unfair (e.g., Gucci loafers, golf cart, and Deb Schlussel’s hyper-moronic “Fred supports jihad because he hired Spencer Abraham” critique).

However, much of it has been right on target, particularly the critiques of his lackluster campaign up until very recently. Whether or not the perception of laziness is fair or not, the way the campaign was conducted from Sept. through Nov. certainly fueled the perception.

Instead of complaining about it, just get out there and continue the barnstorming of Iowa. That’s what I wish what Fred had been doing all along.

thirteen28 on December 19, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Sticking up for her man…kudos. Stunningly unfair? Hardly. I’ve been on since day one….and spent many days wondering if I made the right choice. Now that things are in gear I am feeling better about his chances. Jeri is one sharp lady though. Anyone who thinks Jeri is a lightweight better pay attention to that Louisville slugger in her hand.

Limerick on December 19, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Fred Thompson: “That whinin’ dawg still hunts! Yessiree!”

Less whining more working. If Fred actually ever worked an honest day in the real world (not as a pretend DA, a Senator, and a lobbyist), he’d know that real people don’t tolerate whiners.

Instead of sending your “Trophy wife” out to shill for you Fred, (like an Edwardsian dolt) why don’t you do something more serious then make lame attempts to backhand the media?

BKennedy on December 19, 2007 at 12:24 PM

She does make some good points. When you think about it the media does play a very large role in picking the candidate they highlight and push. You can bet if the media did all kinds of kind stories on one candidate the polls would go up.

KBird on December 19, 2007 at 12:24 PM

I wouldn’t say stunningly unfair so much as stunningly nonexistent. But then again, his campaign has also been stunningly nonexistent for the most part and you can’t really cover that which doesn’t exist.

More than anything though, I’m tired of all this whining. They’re ganging up on me! Their coverage is biased! You’re so unfair! Memo to the candidates: LIFE isn’t fair. So maybe if you want to be our President, you should develop a harder skin when it goes to all this gosh darn “unfairness.” You’re campaigning for the presidency. Grab for that brass ring with all your strength and resources and say the hell with the unfairness.

World B. Free on December 19, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Unfair is probably the wrong word. Lacking would be a better choice. MSM coverage of Fred has seemed designed to keep his campaign as far out of the news cycle as possible. He is probably the most electable candidate and the MSM may have decided that if he isn’t nominated the Dems are safer.

duff65 on December 19, 2007 at 12:26 PM

duff65 on December 19, 2007 at 12:26 PM

yup

Limerick on December 19, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Exactly. I think that if the media shined more of a spotlight on Duncan Hunter he would be doing better in the polls as well.

amish on December 19, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Some coverage has been unfair, such as the Gucci loafers thing. However, his campaigning has been seriously lacking for months. I hadn’t even been hearing as much about him in the right side of the blogosphere until a few days ago.

amerpundit on December 19, 2007 at 12:31 PM

thirteen28 on December 19, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Hyper-moronic sums up Schlussel just about perfectly.

As for Fred! … was he really lazy and lackluster? Or was it strategy?

The reality is that – whether it was brilliant strategery or happy serendipity – Fred’s camp may have stumbled into a near perfect situation. Fred going quiet … and then letting Huckabee surge and take almost all the heat … left him perfectly poised to seize the advantage.

And at this point, if he can pull if off, its too late to implode. He suddenly seems fresh and new and energetic, right when the voters are getting tired of the rest of the pack.

I find it hard to believe his advisors could have planned all this – but they couldn’t have done it better, that’s for sure. If he wins, they’ll claim it was all by design. I wonder if it was.

thirteen28 on December 19, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Good advice – now. But doing it “all along” would have made him the number one target. I remember the scathing critiques over the summer, as do you.

Waiting until now to surge may have been the plan all along. I’d pay to know how much of this was scripted. And how exactly they got Huckabee to take all the heat for months.

Also – Jeri is officially hot. Are we really ready for a hottie first lady?

Professor Blather on December 19, 2007 at 12:33 PM

duff65 on December 19, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Fred Thompson is an amalgam of Bill Belichick and George W. Bush. He makes it known that he hates the media and then when it comes time to make his speech and people actually are listening he fumbles.

We may all think it’s cool Fred is stickin’ it to the MSM, but guess what, he can’t be cracking a joke for four years every time a media stooge asks him a stupid question. While you certianly shouldn’t ass-kiss the media, do remember that if you blow them off one time too many consider yourself blacked out.

BKennedy on December 19, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Just the still shot of her makes me all tingly.

Valiant on December 19, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Where are the Iowa HotAir folks? Are there any Iowa HotAir folks? Some direct input about the campaigns from Des Moines or Waterloo or the Green River area would be nice.

Maybe we can offer i-Phones to any Iowa HA commenters.

Limerick on December 19, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Man, she’s hot. I like her delivery to.

LtE126 on December 19, 2007 at 12:42 PM

What’s stunningly unfair is that Mrs. Fred is a better campaigner for Fred than he is himself. Jeri might actually fare far better in polling than her husband. ;)

ConBlog_NH on December 19, 2007 at 12:43 PM

BKennedy on December 19, 2007 at 12:24 PM

While I agree the media enjoy being pandered to, I suspect they select their favorites based on ideology, or who might be the weakest candidate against their ideological favorites. Most concervatives are already aware of this bias. While I find Fred’s refusal to pander refreshing, I also agree that whining about lack of positive coverage is a bit distasteful.

a capella on December 19, 2007 at 12:44 PM

I wonder if it was.

Not a chance. Crying shame.

JiangxiDad on December 19, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Professor Blather on December 19, 2007 at 12:33 PM

You do make a lot of good points, and given the present state of the race, he might actually be very well positioned. I tend to believe it’s more a stroke of luck than anything, but as they say, it’s better to be lucky than good.

That being said, if there is a late Fred surge, it’s really going to turn this message on it’s head.

thirteen28 on December 19, 2007 at 12:45 PM

That seems about right- Mitt and Huck fight, Fred rises to the top. I doubt it was strategy though, he had failed his fund-raising goals.

Spirit of 1776 on December 19, 2007 at 12:45 PM

BKennedy on December 19, 2007 at 12:33 PM

And you really think that could be the only reason for a blackout?

News2Use on December 19, 2007 at 12:47 PM

Some of you are proving her point by saying that Fred “disappeared” for three months or that “we didn’t hear from him” for weeks. Unless you live in an early-voting state, there’s no way for you to SEE Fred in action. Most of us get our impressions of how the candidates are doing on the campaign trail through the MSM’s coverage. If they either ignore him or characterize him as lackluster or lazy, there’s no way for us to know otherwise. It’s not like he announced his candidacy and then went home to sit in his recliner and watch TiVo for three months. He was campaigning hard, just like the others. But you’d never know it if the MSM doesn’t want you to.

I’m not whining–for the most part I agree with Rush that it’s the candidate’s job to get noticed. But it seems to me that Fred has been getting shafted by the media for awhile now. They are NOT focusing on his ideas and plans, and he’s the only one that I know of with fully-articulated plans on the top issues published on his web site. Instead, they’ve been talking about (when they talk about him at all) his looks, his delivery style, and his “trophy wife.”

aero on December 19, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Aero, I DO live in an early voting state and Fred DID check out. He wasn’t here for months and, now, he’s written us off because he didn’t bother to come here and campaign.

ConBlog_NH on December 19, 2007 at 12:50 PM

The trophy speaks

Kini on December 19, 2007 at 12:55 PM

aero on December 19, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Not quite as you portray it. Fred was the last of all the candidates to return to primary states to campaign post-debate. Here it is better to take Jeri at her word and accept that he has a different sense of timing.

Spirit of 1776 on December 19, 2007 at 12:55 PM

ConBlog_NH on December 19, 2007 at 12:50 PM

Okay, I stand corrected. Fred indeed seems to have blown off New Hampshire. I assume he felt he couldn’t compete there, so he decided to spend his time and resources in other states. But I maintain that he has been campaigning steadily elsewhere, and they’re not covering his activity very fairly.

aero on December 19, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Professor Blather on December 19, 2007 at 12:33 PM

thirteen28 on December 19, 2007 at 12:45 PM

One other thought in regard to my response to you – a Fred surge might prove the bit of Heinlein wisdom that “the old saw about the early bird just proves the worm should have stayed in bed longer.”

thirteen28 on December 19, 2007 at 12:56 PM

As much as I like Fred, he’s just not going to be the nominee. It’s not because of the MSM spin or the fact that they’re not covering him fairly.

He’s doing less events than everyone else.
He’s got a flawed strategy to get the nomination.
He seems tired on the trail.
He seems unprepared in the majority of debates.
He’s not inspiring people to vote for him.

Yes, he’ll get true, die-hard Conservatives with a capital “C,” but he’s just not going to pick up the independents or the undecideds.

The only reason RuPaul is getting more face time than him on camera is because he’s raising the scratch. If Fred were pulling $6mil money bombs, he’d be getting the coverage, too. How long did we have to hear about the RuPaul-ites complaining about bias against their candidate when there was none–he just wasn’t making enough news worthy of coverage.

I think Fred is falling prey to the same thing.

In the end, I think the book on Fred is 100% accurate. I don’t think he’s ready to put forth the effort to come on strong and win it all. I say that and it saddens me because–as I’ve said before–he really is the standard-bearer of Reagan and Goldwater.

ConBlog_NH on December 19, 2007 at 1:05 PM

Spirit of 1776 on December 19, 2007 at 12:55 PM

But he was campaigning somewhere, yes? So perhaps he was the last to return to primary states, but I think we all realize that he was not at home watching TiVo during that time. So where was he? Don’t know? That’s because the MSM didn’t tell us where he was. Did the MSM fail to cover his activities because all their campaign reporters were concentrated in Iowa and NH, so there was no one to talk about what he did and said when he visited Texas? Maybe.

I have admitted that Fred hasn’t been impressive enough to get noticed during the past couple of months. In fact, I was a Rudy supporter until very recently, when Fred finally inspired me enough to jump on board and have some cautious hope for him and for the party. But I have asked myself why I didn’t give Fred any credit during that time, and I have concluded that the MSM shares the blame with Fred himself here. The O’Reilly poll that left Fred off the list was just one of many, many examples of the phenomenon. But the MSM is not going to tell me who my candidate should be! And leaving Fred out of their coverage is one way they can try to influence our perceptions of the candidates.

aero on December 19, 2007 at 1:06 PM

But he was campaigning somewhere, yes?

I don’t think so. But I take your point, he could have taken a secret trip west for fund-raising or something. Usually those are covered though.

Fred had the situation primed, he had favorable coverage, he just failed to jump in the polls, failed to raise enough money to keep the narrative of ‘can’t wait until he gets in’ going. MSM is always looking for the hot story. They have a narrative sure, but they also want viewers/subscribers. Regardless, he seems well-poised now and probably well-rested, so we’ll see what he can do between now and 2.05.

Spirit of 1776 on December 19, 2007 at 1:12 PM

Allahpundit, Hot Air provides format for much political discussion often begun with tongue in cheek pundit humor.

Previously Hot Air pundits used the epitaphs dead, lazy or dinosaur that are seemingly unfair to the wife of this conservative candidate whose behind the scene political preparations have not catered to the MSM/public gah-gah-goo “give it to me now” expectations. It’s Jeri’s right to speak her mind.

Regarding the latest MSM zogby hyped news:
“The poll was taken last Wednesday to Friday. It surveyed 436 likely Democratic primary voters and 432 likely Republican primary voters, with a margin of error of plus or minus 4.8 percentage points for both parties.”

We members of the NATIONAL OPINION are NOT represented by the answers to God only know what questions that were asked of 432 LIKELY voters, whoever the hell they were. What a crock! That is INCREDIBLE, literally UNBELIEVABLE to expect any person with a brain to swallow such crap as the ultimate truth.

maverick muse on December 19, 2007 at 1:36 PM

But he was campaigning somewhere, yes?

I don’t think so.
Spirit of 1776 on December 19, 2007 at 1:12 PM

Just skimming the press releases and photo galleries on Fred’s site, it looks like between September and now, he’s visited Texas, Michigan, Wyoming, Florida, Alabama, South Carolina, New Hampshire, Minnesota, California, Virginia, D.C., Louisiana, Mississippi, Illinois, Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia, and of course Iowa. He doesn’t have a detailed itinerary and history, which is unfortunate. But the photo evidence alone suggests the guy’s been all over. He just didn’t spend ALL his time and ALL his money on 2-3 states like the others seem to be doing. He went places the national press corps wasn’t. He went to the voters of many states, which should not be a bad thing.

aero on December 19, 2007 at 1:38 PM

I seriously think he is campaigning for the VP slot.

RobG on December 19, 2007 at 1:38 PM

He went places the national press corps wasn’t.

Does Fred not have press that travel with him everywhere like the other candidates?

Spirit of 1776 on December 19, 2007 at 1:42 PM

I seriously think he is campaigning for the VP slot.

RobG on December 19, 2007 at 1:38 PM

He has repeatedly said that he’s not interested in VP, and he says it quite convincingly. But we’ll see.

aero on December 19, 2007 at 1:44 PM

Spirit of 1776 on December 19, 2007 at 1:42 PM

If he does, it would seem their employers just don’t run what they write and say. Nor do the major media outlets typically pick up local affiliate coverage of Fred’s stops in all these states.

You clearly didn’t know that Fred has been in almost 20 states in a little over 3 months’ time–I didn’t either until I looked, and I’ll bet most of us didn’t realize how active he’s been. We just believed the media’s meme that Fred has been MIA for months now. And we’re political junkies! So you tell me: is he being covered fairly? I say no. The lazy meme they’ve been touting applies more to their coverage than to Fred’s actual activity level. I don’t think I could keep up that travel schedule, and I’m in my 30s!

aero on December 19, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Yum.

Jaibones on December 19, 2007 at 1:52 PM

Jeri Thompson for First Lady ’08!

CP on December 19, 2007 at 1:53 PM

You clearly didn’t know hat Fred has been in almost 20 states in a little over 3 months’ time

That is correct, I didn’t.

And we’re political junkies!

Eh, I’m just trying to be an informed citizen post 9.11.

So you tell me: is he being covered fairly?

Yes, accounting for the normal left-bias, I think so.

Spirit of 1776 on December 19, 2007 at 2:04 PM

From someone who has witnessed firsthand the media’s constant manipulation and meddling into this election cycle, deciding who, what, when and where they’ll cover and promote, I’ve only got one thing to say.

GO FRED.

Griz on December 19, 2007 at 2:06 PM

thirteen28 on December 19, 2007 at 12:19 PM

I agree with your critique of the Thompson campaign but I think that it is a good idea to have Jeri out there talking about how much her husband has accomplished for two reasons. It needed to be said and he couldn’t say it and this little spin session puts Jeri into the national spotlight doing something you would expect a wife to do, defend her husband. Kinda gave me the warm and fuzzies.

On another note, does anybody see a resemblance between Jeri Thompson speaking and Lynne Cheney speaking. I think Jeri is one smart cookie.

Bill C on December 19, 2007 at 2:49 PM

That’s it! I couldn’t figure out who she reminded me of…

Spirit of 1776 on December 19, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Can you imagine the MSM coverage she’d be getting if she and Fred were Democrats?

It would be Camelot II.

Instead it’s snarky comments about trophy wives and age gaps.

Asher on December 19, 2007 at 3:13 PM

aero on December 19, 2007 at 1:50 PM

20 states in 90 days. Color me impressed. /sarc.

So he spends 4 1/2 days in each state he visits, and he’s got 3rd to show for it in Iowa? That’s weak. You’re in your 30′s and counldn’t handle traveling to a new state in every 4 days? I highly doubt that. You could hole a function, a forum, a fundraiser, and rest for a day before heading to the next state.

BKennedy on December 19, 2007 at 3:38 PM

BKennedy wrong again: “He [Thompson] makes it known that he hates the media”….

You would despise wisdom.

That Thompson will not be duped and that Thompson will not play dunce to the media pied pipers and squealing spoiled brats does not equate to “hate”–that hatred is your own word. Thompson makes no more out of something than it is. That maturity marks a reliable and self confident President for a positive response from many American factions, not merely conservative Republicans.

From his political beginning, those in the know have consistently recognized Thompson’s like-ability. From his personal past relations, his cordiality trumps spades of hate that the likes of you would attempt to insert into this setting. Thompson knows who he is and who he is not is something that you, BKennedy, have yet to appreciate. He established his platform for the Republican Party to gather ’round in friendship and unity.

Hope springs eternal.

maverick muse on December 19, 2007 at 3:47 PM

You’re in your 30’s and counldn’t handle traveling to a new state in every 4 days?

BKennedy on December 19, 2007 at 3:38 PM

For months on end, with two small children in tow and cameras on me all the time? I’d be dog tired by now and wishing desperately that I were at home relaxing with a good book. You must still be in your Energizer Bunny years (early 20s, I’m guessing) if you don’t believe me. I was ready to collapse after a a two-week vacation to San Diego with my husband and children last summer.

Plus, I don’t sleep well in any bed but my own. Many people are like that. It’s why I’d never want a job that involves a lot of travel. Long-term travel, even sprinkled with rest days, can wear you out. Add the stress of a political campaign and a few decades of age, and you can bet I’m sympathetic to these candidates–even Hillary.

I think these blitz tours and hand-shaking monkey shows should no longer be necessary–they don’t tell us anything about how the candidate will lead the nation. But clearly I don’t run the political process. ;-)

aero on December 19, 2007 at 3:50 PM

If Fred wins, my bumper sticker will say:

“Our first lady is SMOKIN’ hot!”

thejackal on December 19, 2007 at 3:57 PM

aero on December 19, 2007 at 3:50 PM

I thought 30 was the new 20 :-D. Or was it 40?

Dude, Thompson’s answers were “trophy wife (most treasured keepsake)” and “Martin Sheen (best 20th century President from the other party).”

The only thing that does for Thompson is show he hasn’t a clue how to deal wih the media. Once is enough to make the point, especially if it is actually an intelligible jab at the media. The second was just idiotic and unneccesary. Thompson looks plenty duped to me: He’s feeding into the media perception that he’s lazy and doesn’t really take the time to do anything thoughtful.

If Fred think’s he’s winning by giving the media a black eye before he’s even nominated, it shows he’s a fool.

BKennedy on December 19, 2007 at 4:09 PM

I thought 30 was the new 20 :-D. Or was it 40?

BKennedy on December 19, 2007 at 4:09 PM

Well, I feel compelled to admit at this point that I’m far closer to 40 than 30 (38 last month, to be exact). But I certainly don’t feel like “the new 20,” that’s for sure! I had to pull an all-nighter recently in order to hit a deadline, and it felt like I had been kicked by a large horse for a couple of days after. I used to be able to pull all-nighters a couple of times a week without it bothering me overmuch. Now–no.

aero on December 19, 2007 at 4:18 PM

The money shot…(can I say ‘money shot’ around Thompson’s wife?)…was this quote:

“Let’s just take the one appointment that he’s gotten early on in his life. He happens to be working for Sen. Howard Baker in Washington. You think there’s a shortage of lawyers in Washington? Why would he choose someone like Fred Thompson? What was it that he saw in Fred Thompson that made him choose Fred Thompson to be Watergate Minority Council? “

Other than that, pretty bland, and off mark. Listen, honey…(can I call Thompson’s wife honey?)….the media is an equal opportunity hammer. Everyone’s toes gets it. Even billary.

locomotivebreath1901 on December 19, 2007 at 5:39 PM

Lately on Tv interviews Fred as been quite good. It’s a shame that he felt he didn’t have to before now. He blew a grand opportunity.

Rightwingsparkle on December 19, 2007 at 6:46 PM

MUST NOT THINK ABOUT JERI..
MUST VOTE FOR FRED..

ok… Jeri 2012! /Fred First Gent.

amend2 on December 19, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Maybe we can offer i-Phones to any Iowa HA commenters.

Limerick on December 19, 2007 at 12:39 PM

I’m from the SW corner of Iowa, so I’m not sure how much I can help. I am planning on going to the Meet Fred event in Council Bluffs tomorrow night though.

Gianni on December 19, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Gianni on December 19, 2007

Nice… I’m a bit out of the way.. tell em he’s in.

amend2 on December 19, 2007 at 7:47 PM

What Thompson’s campaign has proved is that conservatives are just as shallow as liberals are, and when it comes to the conservative blogs it’s a great example of how all bloggers have lost their individual voices and are too busy talking about each other, and linking to each other, to stop and consider what they’re really talking about and linking to.

Fred Thompson hates campaigning. End of story. You can all stop pointing that out now. Thanks.

Jaynie59 on December 19, 2007 at 9:38 PM