Video: Lieberman endorses McCain

posted at 10:55 am on December 17, 2007 by Allahpundit

From Fox & Friends First. A fusion ticket isn’t explicitly ruled out (Liebs pays lip service to being the best goshdarned senator he can be) but if it’s in the offing then the sooner the announcement comes from McCain, the better his chances. Which means it’s probably not in the offing.

Glenn and Helen have a new Instacast with Maverick out this morning so if you’re gripped with fear over the Huckaboom and willing to take a second look, now’s your chance. I’d be remiss if I didn’t remind you of this endorsement, though.

Comments

Ouch! That’s gotta hurt.

First, the Des Moines Register and Boston Globe endorse McCain. Now this. That definitely seals his RINO street cred.

What next? An endorsement from Rose O?

pistolero on December 17, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Maybe McCain/Lieberman, Bloomberg, Ron Paul, Nader, and the Goreacle will all run third party this time around, and we can get more of these “debates” with 25 people on the stage and 3.5 seconds per answer! That would be awesome! /sarc

aero on December 17, 2007 at 11:08 AM

So McCain got the endorsement of the Boston Globe, Joe Lieberman, the far left Demoins Register and Lyndsey Graham. So has he received an actual endorsement from somebody who actually wants a Republican to win in ’08 yet?

Zetterson on December 17, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Booooooooo!

moonsbreath on December 17, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Good for Joe. Though honestly, does anyone else think McCain always looks incredibly uncomfortable talking on TV interviews?

MadisonConservative on December 17, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Wisdom and insight from a couple of old farts in the Senate.

Dont laugh,,, if its Huck vs Barack in the general, then McCain – Lieberman as a third party is gonna look MIGHTY appealing……

Always Right on December 17, 2007 at 11:16 AM

You can say that again.

Griz on December 17, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Is Joementum transferable? Does it expire?

saint kansas on December 17, 2007 at 11:20 AM

I think they’re all in that “other” escape rocket from the Simpsons Halloween special (the one with Spike Lee and Al Sharpton and Rosie).

saint kansas on December 17, 2007 at 11:24 AM

That vegetarian line was pretty cute.

Spirit of 1776 on December 17, 2007 at 11:26 AM

MadisonConservative on December 17, 2007 at 11:12 AM

When he’s on TV it appears more to me that he’s more annoyed than uncomfortable. I don’t think he likes the press nor the rabble aka, the voting public. Remember when he told the public that no American would work hard and pick lettuce for $50/hour? When challenged by the audience he replied, “You can’t do it, my friends.”

He’s more comfortable whispering in the shadows of the Senate than before the American people.

pistolero on December 17, 2007 at 11:29 AM

Always Right on December 17, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Second that, indeed.

Entelechy on December 17, 2007 at 11:31 AM

“The senator began with a personal invocation. ‘Dear Lord, maker of all miracles, I thank you for bringing me to this extraordinary moment in my life,’ he said.”

“[He is] a man of family and a man of faith. He has never wavered in his responsibilities as a father, as a husband and, yes, as a servant of God Almighty,” Lieberman said.

“[He] and I have pretty much walked the same path and when we’ve had disagreements they’ve been good-faith disagreements, never disagreements that touch our values,” said Lieberman.

Aug. 8, 2000

factoid on December 17, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Always Right on December 17, 2007 at 11:16 AM

That’s a great point. I had been thinking all along that McCain isnt so bad. But then I remember immigration and McCain Feingold etc etc. Still, they all have their “except for” issues. In that scenario McCain would probably get my vote.

Dash on December 17, 2007 at 11:50 AM

Hey Joe!………(hat tip).

Limerick on December 17, 2007 at 12:11 PM

pistolero on December 17, 2007 at 11:29 AM

…he said that? That would triple my salary. I’d snap up that work in a minute.

MadisonConservative on December 17, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Entelechy on December 17, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Me too. It would finally put an end to this big tent business that doesn’t work and kick start that third party effort with some credibility. Pretty big gamble, though. Maybe it’s finally time. Scary!

a capella on December 17, 2007 at 12:33 PM

I seriously doubt a fusion ticket. McCain is already on shaky ground WRT domestic issues, as far as many Conservatives are concerned. And as gung-ho Liebs is on terrorism (well, Islamic terrorism at least), John McCain certainly has his detractors on the right for his anti-torture stance (gasp! traitor!). I don’t see it as a particularly strong ticket. I think McCain needs someone like Fred Thompson as VP — someone who can appeal to conservatives. McCain does a good enough job appealing to independents.

Mark Jaquith on December 17, 2007 at 12:42 PM

It is tiresome to read the attacks on John McCain as if he were a liberal, which he is not. John McCain, the son and grandson of U. S. Navy Admirals and a naval aviator who is a genuine war hero, is a pro-life fiscal conservative with the most knowledge about military and national security matters than any candidate in either party and whose books on character and courage are terrific. John McCain has promised to nominate judicial conservatives to the federal bench — a hugely important matter for the future of the counttry. John McCain was right about Iraq for years and is right now because he he has the understanding of military matters to make such correct judgments — a hugely valuable ability in this time of war with the radical jihadists.

I have written this before, but I will again. My older son is a U.S. Army First Lieutenant (with Ranger tab) who in October finished his first 15-month extended tour of duty in Iraq as an infantry platoon leader, and my younger son will be commissioned a U.S. Marine Second Lieutenant upon college graduation this year having already passed officer training in Quantico. I vitally care about who our next Commander-in-Chief will be. I cannot imagine any of the Democrats carrying that responsibility, and on the Republican side, John McCain is clearly the superior candidate.

So those of you who wrongly disparage John McCain, go ahead, but I think you are being a bunch of fools who will only help anti-military socialists as Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama get elected President, and in that position Hillary or Obama will nominate left wing judges to the federal bench. John McCain can beat Hillary and Barack. I am not sure that in 2008 any other Republican can.

Phil Byler on December 17, 2007 at 1:26 PM

I respect Joe, and it is a good endorsement for McCain. I think more highly of Joe than some of the evangelist leaders, and I think many others do also.
Maybe Thompson/McCain or McCain/Thompson is the direction this is turning to.
Not a bad ticket to compete against the Dems.
McCain has to convince us of his immigration policies, and be a little humble on the McCain/Feingold fiasco.

right2bright on December 17, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Still better than Huck

Dudley Smith on December 17, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Although both are men that I have respect for in many ways, both have taken policy stands that seriously detract from any consideration I would have for casting votes for them.
To those intrigued by Lieberman/McCain running as a third ticket, that would be interesting. Kind of like a “battle Royal”,heh?
For those who think this would be kick starting independant candidates and third parties as viable election forces, no sale. You don’t start viable, alternative, independant third parties through the use of “ex” dems and repubs who couldn’t win major elections under their old party banners.

tomk59 on December 17, 2007 at 2:26 PM

A liberal who supports the war endorses a liberal who supports the war.

Ex-tex on December 17, 2007 at 2:42 PM

I won’t worry until McCain brings Kerry onboard; if that happens, he will have totally gone over to the dork side.

Doug on December 17, 2007 at 3:31 PM

That vegetarian line was pretty cute.

Spirit of 1776 on December 17, 2007 at 11:26 AM

Well this vegetarian doesn’t want Republicans to work with the dems (that’s what’s causing so many problems). I want the Republicans to crush the democrates.

– The Cat

MirCat on December 17, 2007 at 5:20 PM

Who would have thunk it!!!

Joe Lieberman and liberal newspapers from Los Angeles to Boston endorsing the “least likely candidate” to be nominated and/or elected by conservatives and Republicans in this country outside whacky people like Ron Paul. Can I play this game and I endorse John Edwards or Bill Richardson or some other second tier candidate that doesn’t stand a chance to be nominated in hopes of splitting and dividing the Democratic party further?

Gulianni, Romney, Huckabee and Thompson are all more representative of the platform of the Republican party, but yet Lieberman and all the liberal, hack newspapers endorse the most liberal of the Republican nominees. How very democrat of them.

Planet Boulder on December 17, 2007 at 5:47 PM