Video: “Citizen Soldier”

posted at 12:15 pm on December 17, 2007 by Allahpundit

Via Jules Crittenden comes the latest in the genre of martial rock, proving that the Revolutionary War does indeed lose some of its romance when soundtracked to modern Top 40. This one’s not as bad-ass as “Open Season” but it has something that song didn’t — the imprimatur of the National Guard, which is using the song in a recruiting campaign.

The band’s not earning any hipster cred by going to work for the Pentagon so credit them with putting country over career. No surprise, either; check this out from their website.

Comments

They played this before the movie I took the wife to yesterday (Cinemark theaters). The crowd loved it.

Limerick on December 17, 2007 at 12:16 PM

We saw it before I am Legend. It was the ONLY time during the proceedings that people didn’t talk.

Darksean on December 17, 2007 at 12:21 PM

It was the ONLY time during the proceedings that people didn’t talk.

Darksean on December 17, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Little things like that give me hope.

MadisonConservative on December 17, 2007 at 12:34 PM

Three Doors Down has consistently charted for years, I don’t think their hipster cred is in question.
I even have one of their CDs…and I’m older than dirt.

ChrisM on December 17, 2007 at 12:36 PM

This is a beautiful campaign / song for the National Guard.

Emotions overwhelm me every time I see it.

Thank God for the men and women willing to put their lives on the line for this country.

God bless them all…

Timothy S. Carlson on December 17, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Wow. Absolutely wonderful.

amerpundit on December 17, 2007 at 12:38 PM

This is being played in movie theaters right now. I watched “I Am Legend” (which was pretty good I thought) Saturday and this played in its entirety before the movie. This was in Christiansburg, VA. I did not see anyone leave because of it.

zerodamage on December 17, 2007 at 12:39 PM

I’ve always kinda liked 3 Doors Down…I had no idea they were that patriotic. Good on ‘em.

flipflop on December 17, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Wow. That was powerful.

CP on December 17, 2007 at 12:44 PM

“Here without you”

Is another pro-military video.

3 Doors Down gets props for being so talented and supportive of our troops.

msipes on December 17, 2007 at 12:53 PM

’bout time the Army gets an ad campaign that inspires people instead of confusing them. Shinseki can take his Army of One and cram it up his fourth point of contact.

BohicaTwentyTwo on December 17, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Damnit… wrong link

Here it is the correct one:

msipes on December 17, 2007 at 12:56 PM

A lot of you seem to be responding to this as a message rather than a song. The serviceman’s slam poetry that AP posted awhile ago had a similar message–and that was awesome. I haven’t heard an interesting song from 3 Doors Down since Kryptonite. This song is terrible. It sounds like Creed. Or a band unsuccessfully trying to imitate Creed. I can’t think of anything more damning to say than that.

Yoosaion on December 17, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Like others in this thread, I saw this before I AM LEGEND. I was pleasantly surprised, and had to wipe tears away to actually SEE the screen when the movie started.

I caught it after it had started, so I didn’t know at first who the band was. But something in me recognized the voice.

3 Doors Down…You guys rock…in so many ways! THANKS!

tickleddragon on December 17, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Beautifully done. Very powerful.

Sure beats that “Be all that you can be” jingle.

Always Right on December 17, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Yoosaion on December 17, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Maybe it is because MP3s don’t live in my house. I couldn’t tell you one band from the next. To you guys who have the radio going from breakfast to nightcap might think it is bunk….it was a VID to people like me. You know, the ones who don’t have an i-pod and could care less if we ever get one.

Limerick on December 17, 2007 at 1:01 PM

Limerick on December 17, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Yep. They showed it before the previews when I saw “I am Legend” on Saturday. First time I’ve heard an audience actually cheer for a commercial. Awesome!

Gregor on December 17, 2007 at 1:04 PM

I like the message — very 2nd Ammendment friendly (although it is hard to be a citizen soldier when your government denies citizens access to the guns shown in the video). Of course, the National Guard idea sort of falls apart when National Guard troops are sent off to die guarding the nation of Iraq. Why bother having a National Guard if they’re going to be used to fight offensive wars of our choosing half-way around the world? Keep ‘em here. You know — to guard our nation. Hell, put ‘em to work guarding the borders of our nation.

Mark Jaquith on December 17, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Yoosaion on December 17, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Wow, tell us how you REALLY feel. *snark*

tickleddragon on December 17, 2007 at 1:09 PM

National Guard idea sort of falls apart when National Guard troops are sent off to die- Mark Jaquith on December 17, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Oh like the militias in 1812, or in Mexico in 1847? Maybe you mean Cuba in 92, or the Phillipines, even Panama or Nicaraugua. Could be Bataan in 41-42, or Java. Normandy maybe? Chosan? Phu Bai?….

Nope we NEVAH have used our militia or NG for those kinds of missions.

Limerick on December 17, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Limerick on December 17, 2007 at 1:01 PM

That’s a lot of assumptions to make about me based solely on my thinking that the song is terrible. None of them are true, though.

Yoosaion on December 17, 2007 at 1:12 PM

3 Doors Down, seems to me have always been pro troops/America.

Excellent band that reminds me of when rock bands were just that… A Rock and Roll band!

Check out the viedo for ” Love Me When I’m Gone” as well.

jdsmith0021 on December 17, 2007 at 1:13 PM

That was powerful. Thanks for posting that.

Spirit of 1776 on December 17, 2007 at 1:14 PM

I will be buying their album. I will support those who support the troops.

^^ the best video they ever did ^^

God bless our troops.

I am an employer and my favorite people to employ are veterans! We have 3 or 4 on staff right now. (Marines, Army, AF)

Utah Boy on December 17, 2007 at 1:17 PM

I keep seeing this at the movies. I love and respect all branches of our military, but this ad was way too long. It seemed much longer than the 3:30 YouTube clip. I’m just saying, if you’re trying to recruit people making a long ad is not the way.

Ian on December 17, 2007 at 1:26 PM

Yoosaion on December 17, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Well, Hot Air has it’s share of musical snobs too, it seems. I’m a drummer, and although I’m not a musician (as the joke goes), I would haved loved to have had the musical careers that both Three Doors Down and Creed have had.

Are they the most technical musician’s out there? No… Can some of their music sound similar? Sure… Are they talented and obviously putting out music that many people enjoy and will buy? Absolutely…

3 Doors Down don’t have to acknowledge the troops or support them, but it’s nice that they are. And believe me when I say that 90% of rock fans are left-leaning… so they are also taking a career chance with their support of the military. I say good for them!!

Nineball on December 17, 2007 at 2:09 PM

The whites of their eyes.

Speakup on December 17, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Darksean on December 17, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Yes, we saw it in Houston before I Am Legend. It was stone cold silent – every single person was watching it. I thought it rocked – amazing imagery. Made me want to stand up and cheer except that it was silent as a tomb in there. The song’s message was great, and I give mad props to 3 Doors Down for having the balls to buck the Hollyweird trend of hating on the troops.

I never buy music, but I think I’ll get their CD just to make a point.

Redhead Infidel on December 17, 2007 at 2:18 PM

I hate the term “Citizen Soldier” for the National Guard. Aren’t regular armed forces members citizens too?

Clark1 on December 17, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Clark thats a good question. Actually when you become active duty your constitution protections are suspended and you are governed by the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Having said that, you still get to vote, even by absentee ballot.

If the definition of citizen is full consitutional protecting, voting and all other benefits of citizenship, then one might say no, you’re not.

National Guard members are only covered by the UCMJ while on active duty.

I think they are referring to Colonial Militia phraseology. “Citizen Soldier” meant a completlely different thing then.

dogsoldier on December 17, 2007 at 2:39 PM

I saw this video last month in front of Beowulf. That movie kinda sucked but the video was cool.

ScottMcC on December 17, 2007 at 2:43 PM

In my older age I seem to enjoy soft “elevator music” more and more and I don’t keep up with what group or individual is the newest latest rage, but I now like the group 3 Doors Down because they are pro-military and have a good sound. Yes I’m easy: If you are pro-American I like you. If you are anti-American I don’t like you.

WildBillK on December 17, 2007 at 2:46 PM

Clark1 on December 17, 2007 at 2:18 PM

When we assumed the Soldier, we did not lay aside the Citizen.
George Washington

Oh and the video needs more redcoats.

BohicaTwentyTwo on December 17, 2007 at 2:47 PM

I was at a service for a fallen Marine, and his dad talked about citizen soldiers. It was a good point since people step out of our society for something very different in order to serve their country. They are just like the rest of us, except they can make a huge sacrifice to give up all we enjoy in order to protect it for the rest.

Great video. Better than anything out of Hollywood in the last ten years.

Hening on December 17, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Few things move me to tears. This video did.

Whenever I see it I can’t help thinking that it’s not drama. That the people in the dramatization of the video may be actors, but they represent very real people doing very real things.

3 Doors Down will be remembered for doing this. Not only did they put country before career, they painted a big red target on themselves for the anti-troop left (i.e. their peers in the music industry).

unamused on December 17, 2007 at 3:37 PM

F(censored)ing awesome.

dostrick on December 17, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Holy crap! That was great! Not my kinda music but it’s nice to see a pro-military rock band, that seems to have gone out in the Klinton 90s. I remember going to metal concerts in the 80s and the bands always callin’ for an azzwhoopin’ on Iran or Libya.

Tony737 on December 17, 2007 at 4:38 PM

To jacka$$ up thread.

Um.. When are we going to pull the Nat’l Guard out of KOSOVO. Yes KOSOVO.

STFU you idiot.

BTW, Saw this in Columbus, OH before I Am Legend. Good video. 3 Doors Down gets much praise from this rock fan.

James on December 17, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Outstanding video and song. More!

techno_barbarian on December 17, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Message good, song, not so much. I may not have as much venom towards it as some others but a Five for Fighting song could had even more impact.

And Fx3 has been quite patriotic and supportive of our troops. Just heard him on the local sports talk chatting about his experiences with the troops and also that new CD for the troops out now.

CTDeLude on December 17, 2007 at 6:33 PM

yo how is i am legend anyway?

blatantblue on December 17, 2007 at 6:47 PM

Three Doors Down has consistently charted for years

Really? I don’t think most people remember them for anything other than Kryptonite, and maybe that ‘when I’m gone’ song

Not a bad video, although the text overlays spoil it by actually making it seem like an advert.

I didn’t think it sounded particularly Creed-like, which is definitely a plus in my book. Probably sounded more akin to Godsmack, really..

Reaps on December 17, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Song OK, message was better. Of course, I am baised being in the Guard already…

major john on December 17, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Wow; it was hard reading these posts.

tgillian on December 18, 2007 at 8:18 AM

I never gave 3DD a moment of thought. Still not my type of music, but I will go out of my way to see them if given the opportunity.

Sensei Ern on December 18, 2007 at 9:28 AM

Concur, darn hard to read these posts, where’s my damn hanky…

lpierson on December 18, 2007 at 9:49 AM