Jim McDermott: I voted against the Christmas resolution because it only stated “obvious facts”

posted at 7:22 pm on December 13, 2007 by Allahpundit

And also because it wasted precious congressional time.

Unlike those Ramadan and Diwali resolutions that he did vote for, I guess.

“Obviously, it’s a protest vote against Steve King,” the Iowa Republican who sponsored the resolution that passed 372-9, McDermott said. Democrats cast all the nay votes.

McDermott supported House resolutions this fall to recognize the Islamic holiday of Ramadan and the festival of Diwali, celebrated by Hindus, Sikhs and Jains. He drew the line at Christmas, he said, because the resolution only stated “obvious facts” that Christianity was the predominant faith in the U.S. and that many Christians and non-Christians celebrated Christmas.

“It’s Christmas time. There’re lots of Christians in the U.S. Hurray for Christmas,” McDermott said, giving his take on the resolution.

Rather than “wasting time on this stuff,” he said, people should be protesting President Bush’s veto of legislation that would have boosted federal funding of the State Children’s Health Insurance Program, or SCHIP, by $35 billion over five years. Bush had sought a much smaller increase.

Here’s King’s resolution and, for comparison, the Ramadan resolution, which states many obscure, otherwise undiscoverable facts like (a) there are 1.5 billion Muslims in the world, (b) they celebrate a holiday called Ramadan, and (c) Ramadan began on September 13. He’d have been on firmer ground noting that the Ramadan resolution went out of its way to refer to the war on terror and the need to make common cause against jihadis, a distinction that in theory makes King’s proposal comparatively unnecessary. But in that case, how do you explain the yes vote on the Diwali resolution?

Update: We’ve heard the “waste of time” excuse for a vote offered before. It’s the left’s version of “Don’t you know there’s a war on?”

Comments

Isn’t just as much time wasted if he voted “yes”?

lorien1973 on December 13, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Better than you.

Vizzini on December 13, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Hmmm… actualy this explains a LOT of Dem votes…

Its a fact… but its too obvious, therefore we must oppose it!!!

Down with facts!!! Don’t use common sense!!! Its too Redneck and Plebian!

If its True? It must be opposed!!!

Romeo13 on December 13, 2007 at 7:26 PM

HAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHA!!! We’re talking about Jim McDermott, right?

Mark V. on December 13, 2007 at 7:29 PM

They voted how many times for a timeline for withdrawl on Iraq and wasted time ?

William Amos on December 13, 2007 at 7:39 PM

I was having a really lousy day at work, but this story makes me realize how proud and thankful I am not to be a congressman.

It’s like Congress is now a welfare program to keep otherwise worthless, unemployable and unlikable people off the streets.

saint kansas on December 13, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Yeah? And your no to Christmas vote makes an obvious statement also.

Speakup on December 13, 2007 at 7:45 PM

saint kansas on December 13, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Institutionalized governance, ain’t it grand?
somehow the first GW would have condoned a ruling class.

Speakup on December 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Correction: Somehow I don’t think the first GW would have condoned a ruling class.

Speakup on December 13, 2007 at 7:49 PM

So when are they going to vote to recognize the Solstice huh? IT’S ONLY EIGHT DAYS AWAY PEOPLE!!

Happy RamaKwanzukahsmasSTICE!!

HerrMorgenholz on December 13, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Jim McDermott is beneath contempt. The DMV of any other state in the union would reject this guy for organ donation. Only in Seattle/Washington state can such a malignant piece of refuse hold congressional office.

My collie says:

Oh yeah? What about San Francisco?

Stupid dog. I hate it when he’s right.

CyberCipher on December 13, 2007 at 8:04 PM

You would have thought that McDermott would be looking for overtime, considering the nasty little criminal has huge legal fees that have come due.

highhopes on December 13, 2007 at 8:07 PM

McDermott: Let’s not talk about my hypocritical votes, let’s talk about Bush!

thesheesh on December 13, 2007 at 8:11 PM

I wonder if Baghdad Jim McDernott will ever return to Baghdad to visit the grave of his good friend, Saddam (who is currently pushing up daisies)? Naaaa, too many US Marines and soldiers there now.

Zorro on December 13, 2007 at 8:13 PM

Happy RamaKwanzukahsmasSTICE!!

HerrMorgenholz on December 13, 2007 at 8:00 PM

actually, is Ramahanakwanzmas… and Glenn Beck’s already Copr Righted it…
lol

mrfixit on December 13, 2007 at 8:22 PM

Copy, that is

mrfixit on December 13, 2007 at 8:22 PM

You can hear my Representative, Jim McDermott, “explain” his reason… and by explain, I mean give you 2 or 3 differing reasons. You can listen to the audio here. The Dori Monson radio show played cuts of McDermott, who was on the Dave Ross radio show earlier in the day. Starts around 4 minutes in, McDermott cut starts around 5:20 in.

I called McDermott’s office and was told they had no idea what I was talking about but would call me when they had an answer. [insert crickets chirping here]

I found the audio via Orbusmax

AndrewsDad on December 13, 2007 at 8:27 PM

AP, how about a HotAir survey of candidates for a Top Ten U.S. Douchebags list?

Needless to say I am inspired by McDermott, who will no doubt contend for the top spot, but the overall competition could be stiff.

Jaibones on December 13, 2007 at 8:29 PM

Ms. EDDIE BERNICE JOHNSON of Texas (for herself, Mr. MEEKS of New York, and Mr. KEITH ELLISON) submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on Foreign Affairs

Doesn’t take him long.

(1) during this time of conflict, in order to demonstrate solidarity with and support for members of the community of Islam in the United States and throughout the world, the House of Representatives recognizes the Islamic faith as one of the great religions of the world; and

CAN WE VOTE ON THIS??????
I disagree on multiple issues.

“…expresses its deepest respect to Muslims in the United States and throughout the world on this significant occasion.”

NO WAIT..NO NO NO!!!

shooter on December 13, 2007 at 8:29 PM

sure would like to get a copy of this history lesson.

shooter on December 13, 2007 at 8:35 PM

Welcome to my world! You don’t get any sympathy from me! I am represented by the “honorable” Congressman William Jefferson. For his many faults, Baghdad Jim isn’t on tape accepting money in an FBI sting and still getting reelected to Congress.

highhopes on December 13, 2007 at 8:46 PM

Correction, please: Seattle/Washington state

Not all Washingtonians are lefty goofballs. Remember, the Dems had to steal the gubernatorial election last time to win.

fiatboomer on December 13, 2007 at 9:11 PM

If I told you who I was related to I would get your sympathy.

AndrewsDad on December 13, 2007 at 9:26 PM

I contacted my local congressman Alcee Hastings office in DC to find out why he voted no on the bill. The initial person I talked to said because the language of the bill was too tough and poorly written. So I asked for an example (with the bill in front of me of course). He couldn’t really cite anything and transferred me to another staffer.

She said it was because the bill “contained language which would cause the US to go to war if Christianity was attacked in any way”. I asked her where it said that in the bill since I did not see the words “war” or “attack” anywhere and she then said that the idea was “implied”. After continuing to press, she cited this clause as the problematic one “(4) acknowledges and supports the role played by Christians and Christianity in the founding of the United States and in the formation of the western civilization;” She said that because it mentioned Christianity and not other religions it was exclusionary and thus, a bad bill. I asked her what other religions were responsible for the founding of the US 200-300 hundred years ago. She stumbled of course, but only cited Judaism (which I suppose would be correct, but how many Jews were there exactly at Plymouth Rock??). Anyways, at this point she took my phone number and said that she would have to get back to me. So all in all, there is pretty much no good reason or explanation why he (and the others) voted against the bill. The 2nd staffer also mentioned 4 different times that Rep. Hastings is a Christian (as if that would somehow make his insane politics and votes ok).

truthmattersfa on December 13, 2007 at 9:31 PM

truthmattersfa on December 13, 2007

Like I told Andrewsdad, welcome to my world. Every time I contact William Jefferson’s Office about his corruption I get the same response you are getting over this issue. Denial and spin. I try to be polite because I know the kids actually answering the phones have no real influence in the office. Nevertheless, it is very frustrating that there are so many ways our elected “representatives” can avoid actually having to talk to the public.

highhopes on December 13, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Christmas is really about children,” he said Thursday. “A children’s holiday, if you will ..Mc D.

Now I know that this guy cannot be a Christian. I wonder what religion he is?

It’s Christmas time. There’re lots of Christians in the U.S. Hurray for Christmas,” Mc D

Christmas is a high holy day, the mass for Christ. It is bittersweet because Christ was born to take upon His flesh our sins and die for us.

To see Joseph and Mary in the Nativity is to know that the journey has begun for the baby who will one day cry from the cross ‘Eli Eli lama sabachthani?’ ‘My God My God why hast Thou forsaken Me?’ and his broken body will give up the ghost.

hurray.

entagor on December 14, 2007 at 3:27 AM

truthmattersfa on December 13, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Wow. Although I should not be surprised since these opinions are the result of the deliberate dumbing down of Americans by the Left.

Buy Danish on December 14, 2007 at 8:28 AM