Video: “The worst debate in western history”

posted at 10:19 pm on December 12, 2007 by Allahpundit

The words are Krauthammer’s, expressing a consensus shared by everyone from my pal Barnett to America’s Mayor. The incredible, unanswerable question of the hour: What kind of slackjawed moron would take the two most important issues of the election off the table at the start of the last pre-primary debate? If anything, she should have kept those two and jettisoned everything else.

After today’s withering reviews, the moderators are bound to be working out the kinks for tomorrow’s turn with the Democrats. Kucinich is disqualified so the field will be leaner and meaner than the GOP’s bloated Keyes-plus format. The candidates will probably be allowed to respond to each other more than they did today and Iraq may well be left on the table for discussion. Who knows? Maybe they’ll even replace Nurse Ratched with someone else.

And if they do, our howls of bias! shall be shrill indeed.

Comments

And if they do, our howls of bias! shall be shrill indeed.

How about howling “REDO!” instead?

Just the top five, no moderator, going at it for 90 minutes. Woo-hoo!

aero on December 12, 2007 at 10:24 PM

Freddie! b*tch-slapped the moderator to great effect.

Don’t count out my man Fred! just yet America!

omnipotent on December 12, 2007 at 10:25 PM

Pure gold. Krauthammer is a national treasure.

And Thompson was right on.

Tzetzes on December 12, 2007 at 10:26 PM

Bah. I’m with Krauthammer.

Spirit of 1776 on December 12, 2007 at 10:26 PM

Anyone notice who raised their hand…
Rudy
Huck
McCain

RINO’s all

edgehead on December 12, 2007 at 10:29 PM

I think everyone agrees that this debate sucked for all the reasons that have been exhaustively discussed since it went down… but if you want to pull a great clip from Special Report tonight, Allah, you’ll dig up the joke clip from the end… as always it’s snatched from the late shows (Leno this time), but it’s one of the best ever. Maybe it’s on YouTube somewhere already, I haven’t looked.

RightWinged on December 12, 2007 at 10:31 PM

Charles K for Pres. One of the finest conservative minds in America right now, bar none.

Purple Fury on December 12, 2007 at 10:31 PM

edgehead on December 12, 2007 at 10:29 PM

On whether global warming is an issue? I’d have to agree with them. As would Max Mayfield. Or are you talking about a different question?

amerpundit on December 12, 2007 at 10:31 PM

Hey! HotAir should offer to host a rematch, in the model that Fred proposed (round-table of the top candidates only, unmoderated or lightly moderated, issues-intensive). You could stream it live and let anyone who wants to pick it up and proliferate it do so free. That would be awesome! I suppose it would be pretty hard to get them to accept, but you never know–not many of them can be pleased with today’s debate format.

aero on December 12, 2007 at 10:33 PM

I once went and saw Krauthammer speak on Israel at Penn.
I could listen to the guy all day.

Tzetzes on December 12, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Heh. Charles has a gift for skewering idiocy with laserlike precision. I don’t always agree with him, but when he’s on, he’s on.

ReubenJCogburn on December 12, 2007 at 10:34 PM

Why don’t the Republicans have conservative moderators instead of leftist ones that ruin the debate? Tomorrow the democ-rats will have a proper rowdy leftist debate – anything goes – to show how lively and up to date the democ-rats are. Today the guys looked stiff and inept. They were constantly interupted by the jerk ‘moderator’, an MSM liberal/leftist, to deliberately ruin the comments. Charles was absolutely right in his observations.

countywolf on December 12, 2007 at 10:34 PM

And Thompson was right on.

Tzetzes on December 12, 2007 at 10:26 PM

It was a good place to take a stand on Fred’s part, but I’m dissatisfied in any debate system where a simple confrontation with the moderator puts a participant over the top for the “win.” It’s pathetic that we’ve come to view success in the debates as a function of stupid “gotcha” moments, rather than anything the candidates actually had to say. I know it’s partially a function of he format, but it really is a shame.

Big S on December 12, 2007 at 10:35 PM

Oh yeah, did anybody ever manage to get an answer out of Fred on that question?

Big S on December 12, 2007 at 10:37 PM

Oh, and I think Mitt started to raise his hand before Fred popped off.
Any Republican that believes that “global climate change is a serious threat and caused by human activity” is not only not fit for office, but dangerous.
This hoax is a worldwide socialist conspiracy and none of us should be taken in by it.
Shame on Rudy, Mitt, Huck, and McCain!

edgehead on December 12, 2007 at 10:39 PM

Oh, and I think Mitt started to raise his hand before Fred popped off.

MITT AIN’T NO LEADER!

Allahpundit on December 12, 2007 at 10:40 PM

MITT AIN’T NO LEADER!

Allahpundit on December 12, 2007 at 10:40 PM

But Hugh said…………….

omnipotent on December 12, 2007 at 10:44 PM

…this is a two-man race between Mitt and Rudy (and a vote for the Huckster is a vote for Rudy).

That man has lost his way.

omnipotent on December 12, 2007 at 10:45 PM

Mitt raised his hand as well.

Iowa Public Television has a rough transcript up for the debate, but it’s a real pain to read because it’s in all caps. They don’t even have names in some places-this is the give and take they have(I inserted who seemed to be speaking)

Moderator: THANK YOU. I WANT TO TAKE ON A NEW ISSUE. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A SHOW OF HANDS, HOW MANY OF YOU BELIEVE GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE IS A SERIOUS THREAT AND CAUSED BY HUMAN ACTIVITY?

Fred: I’M NOT DOING HAND SHOWS TODAY.

Moderator?: NO HAND SHOWS.

Fred: NO HAND SHOWS TODAY.

?: I’M WITH HIM.

[APPLAUSE]

Moderator?: IS THAT YES OR NO FOR YOU? DO YOU BELIEVE THAT GLOBAL CLAIMANT CHANGE IS A – Fred: WELL, DO YOU WANT TO GIVE ME A MINUTE?

Moderator: NO.

Fred: WELL, THEN I’M NOT GOING TO ANSWER IT.

[LAUGHTER]

[APPLAUSE]

Fred: HOW ABOUT 30 SECONDS?

Moderator: NO, YOU KNOW –

Fred: YOU WANT A SHOW OF HANDS. I’M NOT GIVING IT TO YOU.

Moderator: WE’RE GOING TO FOLLOW UP ON THAT, BUT I NEED TO KNOW WHO BELIEVINGS GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE IS SERIOUS, AND –

INC on December 12, 2007 at 10:46 PM

Oh please. It became PAINFULLY obvious rather quickly that the true intent of this farce was to make the Republicans look bad. No one can sound informed when they are being “interrogated” by this shrew and not being given a chance to answer. Also, I TOTALLY agree that having Keyes on stage was a travesty, when they will not allow Kucinich on the stage for the Dims. What a waste of an afternoon.

Sugar Land on December 12, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Anyone have a link to the full debate video?

I need a legal, non-narcotic sleep-inducer.

omnipotent on December 12, 2007 at 10:47 PM

omnipotent, the link in my comment above has one. I tried to watch some of it, but the buffering is so slow I gave up. The clips are about the best you can do right now.

INC on December 12, 2007 at 10:49 PM

edgehead on December 12, 2007 at 10:39 PM

That kind of attitude is what makes conservatives look crazy. The fact is that the Earth is getting warmer on the whole, and climates are undergoing changes. It’s also true that the release of CO2 and other “greenhouse gases” into the atmosphere (which has been increasing), is a viable mechanism by which such climate changes could occur. The thing is, we don’t know how much we are contributing, and where the whole thing will lead. The responsible position to take is a cautious one in which we try to cut back our contribution, but by making technological progress rather than killing our economy with burdensome regulations. Climate change is happening, but it is not going to be a catastrophe at any time in the near future, and smart money says we’ll be able to get the “green” infrastructure in place before that ever happens, if only we would try.

Nuclear power is the way to go, by the way.

Big S on December 12, 2007 at 10:49 PM

Anyone have a link to the full debate video?

Enjoy the torture.

Spirit of 1776 on December 12, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Sorry S, but that’s not true at all. CO2 lags temperature increases, not precedes them. Really. Google it.

I am not at all cautious about this blatant attmpt at extortion by people who dominate the debate, but refuse to show how their research was done. I give the global warming crowd no credence whatsoever. In a few years their alarmism will be proven for exactly what it is. Fraud on a massive scale.

I do agree with you wholeheartedly on your nuclear power stance.

techno_barbarian on December 12, 2007 at 11:07 PM

Also, the US has been ‘green’ for a long long time now. Since I was a kid in the 70s. Anybody else old enough to remember when smog jokes were a nightly staple on late night talk shows and Laugh In? Anybody remember looking at the brown skylines from those days? I do. Things are a LOT better today.

We’ve come an amazingly long way and pollution in general has been drastically reduced. The kids don’t know anything about that because they weren’t there. But they’re being indoctinated with the belief that the world has never been more polluted. It just isn’t true.

techno_barbarian on December 12, 2007 at 11:13 PM

RightWinged on December 12, 2007 at 10:31 PM

Never mind, looks like Bryan dug it up and has now posted it.

RightWinged on December 12, 2007 at 11:20 PM

THX1138 baby! Keep your damn dome…I’m going outside.

Limerick on December 12, 2007 at 11:23 PM

Her global warming question was crap, even beyond the stupid raise your hand thing. She asked, whether “global climate change is a serious threat and caused by human activity,” and wanted a flat yes or no. That’s two questions! One could hypothetically think its a big deal, but not caused by human activity (or conversely its isn’t a big deal, but that humans are causing it). Good thing she doesn’t have a day job other than a journalist…

Wineaholic on December 12, 2007 at 11:23 PM

Allah, you have to get the freeze on this! I’ve been a Mitt guy, but if that knucklehead raised his hand, I’m gone.

America needs to know, AP…

Jaibones on December 12, 2007 at 11:23 PM

well i missed the deabte finals and all but just watching that clip can I make the assumtion that this moderator should be cut down put into a stand and have lights and oprnaments hung on her like a christmas tree {PLANT!}

Mojack420 on December 12, 2007 at 11:26 PM

INC on December 12, 2007 at 10:49 PM

Spirit of 1776 on December 12, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Thank you much, kind folks!

omnipotent on December 12, 2007 at 11:26 PM

Alan Keyes is a lunatic. Certified.

mylegsareswollen on December 12, 2007 at 11:45 PM

I love the stern straight face of question dictator
rachet,good lord,she’s Ilsa.
I’m zee puppet master,you are my puppets,pain of
death be upon those who don’t answer the global
warming question to my satisfaction,and I have all
night.

Gotta hand to Fred,basically he would say,
No, ain’t gonna happen,now or later.haha

canopfor on December 12, 2007 at 11:47 PM

I love Charles. I pretty much agree with him on more things than I do with most people. Gotten to the point where I’m almost looking to have a major disagreement with him on something. Still looking.

tomk59 on December 12, 2007 at 11:51 PM

Romney, McCain, Guiliani, Huckabee all had their hands up. Only Huckster was half up. The other three was holdin’ em high. I’ve got the stills if someone want to see them.

Griz on December 13, 2007 at 12:05 AM

Maybe the huckster is just that limp wristed.

Griz on December 13, 2007 at 12:07 AM

Big S on December 12, 2007 at 10:49 PM

The problem is not that you are necessarily wrong on any major point. The problem is thus:
The question was –

Okay. That’s the question. Here’s your statement:

So that means YOUR answer by what YOU said is, “No.”
Because clearly you do not believe that global climate change is a serious threat, and you do not believe that it is caused by human activity because you do not know.

Everyone who answers “Yes” believes that yes, they know where global climate change is going, they know what is causing it, and they know both enough to call it a “serious threat”.

That’s why none of our guys should’ve answered “Yes”. Now the problem is, is that “Yes” even meaningful? Enough to bellow about any of those guys being RINOs? No, I don’t think so. That was what Fred was talking about. Neither a Yes or No answer to that question is meaningful because the question itself is meaningless. So, really, they shouldn’t have answered “No” either.

I think the thing to see here, more than anything else, is that when the candidates were told, “This is a show of hands question” only one of them spoke out and said, “No it’s not.” The rest were just going to go along with it, despite knowing how stupid it was to try to reduce such a complex question to a simple yes or no. That to me is more significant than if any of them raised their hand.

apollyonbob on December 13, 2007 at 12:08 AM

I’ve got the stills if someone want to see them.

Griz on December 13, 2007 at 12:05 AM

Post ’em. I’d like to see that for myself. (missed debate today due to having a real life) ;)

I’m not giving up on Fred. He could be a really good one.

techno_barbarian on December 13, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Romney never lifted a finget one hand beside him the other on the podium. watch it again dudes. 2nd from left right.

InstantNemesis on December 13, 2007 at 12:12 AM

infact Romney he is shaking his head sort of.

InstantNemesis on December 13, 2007 at 12:14 AM

Fred is so cool it’s crazy compared to the other.

Cool’o Meter;
1.Fred
2.Hunter
3.and the coolness stops there. Except…
4.Ron is such a nuerotic litle weezel he’s way cool. He needs a pen protector in his shirt pocket.

Door prize for Best squirrel jowl imitation = McCain.

Griz on December 13, 2007 at 12:14 AM

Romney, McCain, Guiliani, Huckabee all had their hands up.

I just posted on this, guys. The post has been up for 15 minutes.

Allahpundit on December 13, 2007 at 12:19 AM

and they brought ’em down fast, especially Mitt.

Griz on December 13, 2007 at 12:23 AM

Thanks Allah. erase my e-mail address will ya?

Griz on December 13, 2007 at 12:23 AM

The way i see it is he stopped putting his hand UP when she drops the two parter “gotcha” on them.

InstantNemesis on December 13, 2007 at 12:27 AM

Big S on December 12, 2007 at 10:49 PM

They’ve gotten to you man!
There is NO evidence that human activity is contributing to this temporary warming cycle. None.
Only speculation led by bureacrats and politicians with an agenda, scientists with an agenda (or who receive funds based upon their resaerch), and pop-culture figures (drive-by media included) who want to feel relevant.
Think about this; virtually EVERY public prediction that has been made since this hoax began either hasn’t happened or has been debunked. Don’t be a sheep dude.

edgehead on December 13, 2007 at 12:33 AM

either way he thought about..which means he is on the fence which is probably aligned with much of the uninformed public. Its possible he agreed to the first part and thought wtf is this bit$% doing when he actually thought about the second part….who knows.

No Plants…the moderator was the plant! Dont the clintons control the lame dead trees and the MSM.

InstantNemesis on December 13, 2007 at 12:35 AM

Opinion coming in from all over the blogosphere is that contrary to Mort and the focus group, Fred won the debate handily.

Connie on December 13, 2007 at 12:40 AM

But Hugh said…………….

omnipotent on December 12, 2007 at 10:44 PM

roflmao!

Connie on December 13, 2007 at 12:41 AM

amerpundit on December 12, 2007 at 10:31 PM

Back in 1989 or 90, one of my twin daughters had to do a paper on global cooling.

Connie on December 13, 2007 at 12:43 AM

Mort and Fred who?

Fred definitely lead on that one, credit were credit is due.

Speakup on December 13, 2007 at 12:43 AM

CNN’s coverage on this thing is beyond comprehension. We truly live in a Stalinist state. They have to have a staff who’s only assignment is to translate all their conservative coverage into liberal propaganda. It will be a truly shining example of achievement if the people of this nation get to elect their own president. Or blind luck.

Griz on December 13, 2007 at 1:27 AM

Connie on December 13, 2007 at 12:40 AM

Yea, I’m finding the same thing.

edgehead on December 13, 2007 at 1:29 AM

Spread the word. Vote Fred.

msipes on December 13, 2007 at 1:57 AM

Connie on December 13, 2007 at 12:40 AM

About that focus group is seems one member of it named Nathan Burd is founder of “Americans for Mitt”

American for Mitt website, website content, and logo are the sole property of Americans for Mitt and all rights are reserved. Individuals wishing to use or reproduce content are encouraged to contact [email protected].

CommentGuy on December 13, 2007 at 2:17 AM

Why One N.H. Veteran Switched from McCain to Romney by Michael Moffett

Romney Offers Relief from Scandal Fatigue by Nathan Burd

Mitt Romney: A Profile in Political Courage by Nathan Burd

A Pro-Life Perspective on a Mitt Romney Candidacy by Nathan Burd

The Southern Republican Leadership Conference:
The Romney Revolution Begins by Nathan Burd

Mitt: Good for the Family, Good for America by James Phillips

CommentGuy on December 13, 2007 at 2:19 AM

American Thinker gets it right

Carolyn Washburn, editor of the Des Moines Register, re-enacted the role of a kinder and gentler version of the nun in the movie The Blues Brothers, minus the habit, as she moderated yesterday’s Republican Presidential debate in Iowa.

CommentGuy on December 13, 2007 at 2:47 AM

Liberal/Democrat questions Conservative/Republican answers.

Assuming any Liberals/Democrats were watching – this was the best debate so far. Okay so I’ve only watched the first few questions, but so far so go.

Republicans need to address the questions on the minds of Liberals/Democrats. Just because they are talking to themselves (they are so confused) doesn’t mean we should talk to ourselves (our message is clear, not simple).

Agrippa2k on December 13, 2007 at 3:22 AM

This was a serious, sober debate. Refreshing (so far). Are Iowans serious and sober people? Assuming they watched, I think they will be impressed.

I love “Special K” (Krauthammer), but all this complaining because the debate wasn’t exciting and fun is silly. Perhaps he wanted some Hillary/Obama bashing, assuming there will be much Bush bashing with the Democrat debate.

Didn’t like Rudy’s answer about NAFTA though. Stating 11% is better than 9% misses an opportunity to claim that Democrats ruined its potential. Tancredo rambled a bit also missing the point. Hunter was better, but again didn’t hit the Democrats.

Agrippa2k on December 13, 2007 at 3:34 AM

Ron Paul is a nut.

Agrippa2k on December 13, 2007 at 3:34 AM

Liberal/Democrat questions Conservative/Republican answers.

Agrippa2k on December 13, 2007 at 3:22 AM

The problem is that the questions weren’t relevant to issues that Republicans care about. At this point we are trying to decide the Republican nominee, so the debates should focus on us, not on lefty issues.

Gianni on December 13, 2007 at 3:41 AM

That was not the just worst debate of 2007, it was the worst debate in Western History. And that includes the Ancient Greeks. There is no record in any major European language of a debate this transcendently and crashingly dull. It was an astonishment. –Charles Krauthammer

Thanks for posting this AP! I missed this b/c our newborn needed attention. Krauthammer is the reason I watch Special Report.

zb42 on December 13, 2007 at 5:59 AM

Brit is drunk.

Tuning Spork on December 13, 2007 at 6:10 AM

Thank god Mara Liasson wasn’t there to queer Krauthammer’s pitch with her usual seven dozen interruptions. Or one of her TB days.

Stephen M on December 13, 2007 at 7:27 AM

Showings like this from the Des Moines Register & IPTV make me ashamed to be an Iowan. Disgusting.

joe shmoe on December 13, 2007 at 7:58 AM

MITT AIN’T NO LEADER!

Allahpundit on December 12, 2007 at 10:40 PM

Mitt’s a waffler! Always has been, but he’s got better hair than Edwards.

We (conservatives) are going to have a hard time coming up with a real candidate this time around. I’m not fully satisfied with anyone in the lineup! Good Lord I miss Reagan.

Oldnuke on December 13, 2007 at 7:59 AM

Fred is the man.

TheSitRep on December 13, 2007 at 8:14 AM

Somebody draft Krauthammer for president . . . he’s certainly better than anyone in that Republican gaggle.

rplat on December 13, 2007 at 8:17 AM

apollyonbob on December 13, 2007 at 12:08 AM

I’m one of those “skeptical” scientists the right likes to promote, and I believe that it’s a threat, probably even a serious one, but NOT an imminent one. We have time (decades, at least) to wean ourselves off of fossil fuels, but the sooner we start, the better off we’ll all be. McCain’s answer, and Rudy’s partial answer (he’s talked about this before in greater detail), are probably the best approaches. The goal is to reduce greenhouse (and other) emissions while keeping the economy strong. The correct answer to this whole thing is to build more nuclear generators over the near term, and invest a bunch of money in research to benefit in the long term. With that approach, the worst thing that could happen is that we have cheap, clean power for the foreseeable future and generate a whole lot of new technology that we can sell to the rest of the world.

Big S on December 13, 2007 at 8:21 AM

I’m one of those “skeptical” scientists the right likes to promote,
Big S on December 13, 2007 at 8:21 AM

What kind of scientist? A doctor of veterinary medicine could be considered a scientist but I wouldn’t put any credence on his views about climate change. Not trying to yank your chanin just trying to get a sense of whether to think of you as a source or as someone who (like me) just has an opinion on a subject that’s outside their area of expertise.

Oldnuke on December 13, 2007 at 8:48 AM

“Like Nurse Ratched, she had the candidates handcuffed, shackled and gagged”.

Charles is an American treasure.

Buy Danish on December 13, 2007 at 9:00 AM

Thompson just went back to the top of my list.

And, yeah, it was a really bad (and for the most part, pointless) debate.

Lawrence on December 13, 2007 at 9:05 AM

Mitt may have started to raise his hand, but he applauded Fred when Fred told the moderator to pound sand. He also had a good line about how it is global warming, not just American warming. We have our own reasons for advancing the technology of alternative energy sources, but the Chinese have officially passed us a the world’s biggest CO2 emitters, and the gap between them and us is only going to get bigger over the next 20 years or so. If there is a real problem, there cannot be any real solution without them and India being a part of it, and certainly not one that requires the USA to put itself at a big economic disadvantage with them.

Dudley Smith on December 13, 2007 at 9:25 AM

That 3rd grade escapee Nurse Ratched tried to infantilize the wrong group of people with her “Now you behave!” attitude and came up against our next president, Fred Thompson (I certainly hope). Fred knew exactly what he was doing, and that’s the very same attitude any conservative wants in the White House. “You’re stupid, I’m not playing your games and now you get to deal with the consequences!”

Anyone who raised their hands to that ridiculous question should go home.

thejackal on December 13, 2007 at 9:31 AM

As m-s-media seems to not know how to run a debate, the
GOP should run their own, with a panel of Michelle Malkin, Charles Krauthammer, Laura Ingraham, Rush Limbaugh, Mark Levin, etc.
The panel could ask their own questions; I can’t imagine any fluff or softball questions would be asked. And the candidates would have an opportunity to address the important issues.
Maybe I’m dreaming, but this is all I want for Christmas.

Doug on December 13, 2007 at 9:57 AM

Has anyone read the Des Moines Register comments about the worst debate in history? They have fake astonishment about Keyes behavior. They also questioned why the candidates didnt explain their positions. It sounded like some editorials were written prior to the event.

tanmany2k on December 13, 2007 at 10:15 AM

Lawrence on December 13, 2007 at 9:05 AM

I concur. That was Fred’s best performance by far, even without the global warming silliness.
He is the only with the cojones to talk about eltitlement spending.

sweeper on December 13, 2007 at 12:32 PM

Hot damn! Krauthammer was on fire there. He killed!

Vyce on December 13, 2007 at 3:18 PM

I am a potential ? bigoted racist and I love Alan Keyes !

SIJ6141 on December 13, 2007 at 7:34 PM