Where’s Fred?

posted at 4:00 pm on December 11, 2007 by Allahpundit

Strange but true: Even though he’s still third in some national polls, Fred’s profile right now among GOP candidates is arguably not only lower than Rudy’s, Huck’s, and Mitt’s, but given the current standings in New Hampshire and the forthcoming fourth quarter fundraising reports, it’s lower than McCain’s and Paul’s, too. I saw an item about his empty schedule last week at either the NYT or TNR but passed it up since I didn’t have time to compare all the itineraries. Not so Mary K, who asks the not unreasonable question of how Fred’s planning to shock the world in Iowa by working half days when Huck and Mitt are way ahead and in full-court-press mode. It’s as though he’s still following that “Internet campaign” model he had initially planned to use as a substitute for real-world events, except (a) he abandoned that long ago and (b) it never would have worked given the tiny fraction of Internet users who are interested enough in politics to pay regular attention to campaigns.

What gives? I’ve never really bought the idea that he’s lazy but I’m out of explanations. Although this is kind of funny eight months removed.

Comments

If Fred showed even half the energy of Huck, he’d be wiping the mat with these guys. I just don’t get it.

thirteen28 on December 11, 2007 at 4:02 PM

He’s in the blimp.

bnelson44 on December 11, 2007 at 4:04 PM

I don’t get it either. He really is the only hope.

Rose on December 11, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Disorganization.

GogglesPisano on December 11, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Same questions many of us Fredheads have been asking ourselves. He has my money, that I fully admit. My only take on it is he picked strategy ‘A’ and won’t change it.
Doesn’t look good for my man. Not good at all. Unless he has some magic hat, or bombshell, then Iowa may well end his run.

Oh well…..still voting R.

Limerick on December 11, 2007 at 4:06 PM

He’s following Zeppelin around on tour.

saint kansas on December 11, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Fred!’s not a stupid man, so I will just keep crossing my fingers that he comes up with something exceptional….and quick.

heatherrc77 on December 11, 2007 at 4:12 PM

He’s drafting.

Keep your eye on his car as they come around the home stretch.

unamused on December 11, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Where’s Fred?

Who cares!

davenp35 on December 11, 2007 at 4:13 PM

I want to believe he’s still viable.

CP on December 11, 2007 at 4:13 PM

I joined the “I’m with Fred” crowd a few months ago, and get an email from them every few days. Lately they’ve been very low on content, and mostly pushing this.

I have to agree, I’m afraid the train has left the station and Fred is sitting on the trackside bench smoking a Cohiba.

peski on December 11, 2007 at 4:14 PM

I want to believe he’s still viable.

Yeah, how? Sketch me a scenario that’s better than him finishing a very distant third in Iowa.

Allahpundit on December 11, 2007 at 4:14 PM

I want to believe he’s still viable.

CP on December 11, 2007 at 4:13 PM

I want to believe that to. But that old saying about wish in one hand and shinola in the other keeps popping into my head.

thirteen28 on December 11, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Coincidentally, I have a close personal connection to a Bush appointed Federal Judge. He’s pretty well connected as you can imagine, so some aspects of our conversation last weekend were a little surprising to me:

Surprised at my disgust with Huck.
Thinks Fred is just too old to get enough votes.
Thinks Rudy will get the nod.
Thinks that Rudy/Hunter is a likely ticket.
Thinks Hillary will implode and is unelectable.

For what it’s worth.

peski on December 11, 2007 at 4:18 PM

The fabled Trojan Horse. Come March or April millions of little Freds will erupt from the mothership and spawn support. [hose]

Griz on December 11, 2007 at 4:19 PM

IF I were him I would be hiding too. He looked like a corpse up on stage during the debates. His skin is seriously grey. Can someone get some blush on the cadaver for Christ sake?

muyoso on December 11, 2007 at 4:19 PM

His Schedule is fine.What are you all talking about?
Friday, December 7
Columbus, Ohio.
Senator Fred Thompson will be making a campaign fundraising stop.
For more information on this event, please contact Sarah Newman
Time: 12:00 p.m.
Saturday, December 8
Asheville, North Carolina
Grove Park Inn
16th Annual Holiday Dinner at 7 pm
Senator Fred Thompson is also likely to attend
Sunday, December 9
Miami, FL
Fred Thompson to Speak at Miami Church Prior to Univision Debate
Univision Republican Debate
Monday, December 10
Southwest Florida
He’ll actually be spending the weekend in the sunshine state.
Wednesday, December 12
Johnston, Iowa
The Des Moines Register’s presidential debates
Iowa Public Television’s Maytag Auditorium
starting at 1 p.m.
Thursday, December 13
Sevierville, Tennessee
Cleveland, Tennessee
Friday, December 14
Nashville, Tennessee
Details for the Tennessee events here:
Monday, December 17
Iowa
Beginning Monday, December 17, Thompson will launch a bus tour that will take him throughout the state. From the beginning of that trip through caucus night, Thompson will essentially live in Iowa, taking only a one-day trip out of the state to celebrate Christmas at his home in Virginia.

Sorry for the long post. Fred will also be on Sean Hannity tomorrow.

Nelsa on December 11, 2007 at 4:20 PM

[peski] has a very smart friend.

Griz on December 11, 2007 at 4:20 PM

muyoso on December 11, 2007 at 4:19 PM

That helped clarify your position on Fred.

Limerick on December 11, 2007 at 4:21 PM

His Schedule is fine.What are you all talking about?

Did you read Mary Katharine’s post? Huckabee had five events planned for today alone.

Allahpundit on December 11, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Allahpundit on December 11, 2007 at 4:14 PM

That’s what I’m afraid of. I didn’t say he was still viable. I just said I want to believe it. I like Fred and have am considering voting for him, but he’s nowwhere to be found. I don’t understand it.

CP on December 11, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Fred’s only hope is if something happens to Huck, which would pretty much have to involve a scandal of some sort that he cant Bible his way out of. He’s fighting for the same voters as Huck (“Our rights come from God”), regardless of their past positions on issues. My question is why the others are not going after Huck on things like the Fair Tax, which is one of the biggest, juiciest targets available. Fred can’t do it, since he’s expressed support for the idea in the past, and I think Rudy’s just trying to let Mitt bleed a little before he goes on the attack. However, why doesn’t Romney hit him on it? The immigration thing doesn’t seem to be getting too much traction for him (see: Gilchrist), but the tax issue is a big stumbling block for Huck, and Mitt is very credible on fiscal issues. Unless Romney (or Huck’s past) can take Huck down a few notches in Iowa, I don’t see an opening for Fred.

Big S on December 11, 2007 at 4:25 PM

According to Steven Hayes at TWS, Fred’s “all in” in Iowa: http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/014/464pcbjw.asp If that’s the strategy, then Fred’s national profile is completely secondary, and, at least in theory, easy to revive. If it works, he’s positioned to rake in the Christian conservatives who peel away from Huck as the latter’s boomlet subsides. Even better, now that Mitt is reacting, he’s going to take heat for going negative on Huck, when Fred is the one who really started it.

IA will either be Fred’s last hurrah, or get him back on the charts with a bullet as hard conservatives FINALLY pick their guy.

CK MacLeod on December 11, 2007 at 4:26 PM

What gives?

He;s trying to hold his ground for a VP slot.

lorien1973 on December 11, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Still for Fred. /Go Fred!/

At this point in the game, it is best not to be in the front spot, where you only get bugs in your teeth (see Huck this week, Rudy two weeks ago).

If this party is stupid enough to nominate the next Jimmy Carter, then I’m out to 3rd pary land.

AZCON on December 11, 2007 at 4:27 PM

lorien1973 on December 11, 2007 at 4:26 PM

With all respect…I seriously doubt that Fred wants to babysit the Senate for four years.

Limerick on December 11, 2007 at 4:28 PM

His Schedule is fine.What are you all talking about?

You listed 8 events in 11 days … not exactly breakneck campaigning.

J on December 11, 2007 at 4:28 PM

PS – I’ve been a Fred skeptic all along. This is the first time since I first saw him fumble annoying through a speech seven months ago that I see his arrow pointing up rather than down.

CK MacLeod on December 11, 2007 at 4:28 PM

Limerick on December 11, 2007 at 4:28 PM

Unless you concede he’s lazy (or worse, doesn’t care) then it’s the only plausible explanation.

lorien1973 on December 11, 2007 at 4:28 PM

I think Fred is running on the data that shows most people don’t make up their minds until a week or two before they vote. Granted, candidates can rise and fall pretty fast just as McCain and Huck, but this is a big gamble because the voters would at least like to know or be familiar with the candidate beforehand and it just seems like he’s waited too long to do that.

CP on December 11, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Allahpundit on December 11, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Yes, I did read it AP. My point is that Fred is doing what he can. He can not be in 3 places at once.

Huckabee is making the right decision to take advantage of his “current” popularity.

Could Fred do more. Absolutely! I wish he would, but he is making the rounds as needed in my opinion.

Nelsa on December 11, 2007 at 4:34 PM

lorien1973 on December 11, 2007 at 4:28 PM

No…I won’t go the lazy route. I just don’t believe he has the temperment to listen to the good-ol-boy club on a daily basis. No…he wants the office or nothing, IMO.

Limerick on December 11, 2007 at 4:37 PM

I posted this particular comment elsewhere today, and it seems to fit with this, too. Pardon the duplication, but it’s easier than re-typing to reiterate the same exact point. Earlier today Fred wrote of my native New Hampshire after months of promises to be here and campaign hard yet still not showing up here.

I fear the book on him was probably right.

==================================

I have to preface this by saying I truly like Fred and have nothing but respect for him. Honestly. However…that said…

He waited forever to get in. He put off the decision and announcement for months and would only say “we’ll make an announcement soon.”

When he did, he announced it on Jay Leno and not someplace symbolic or significant. (Personally, I’d have chosen Tampico, Illinois–the birthplace of Ronald Reagan–but that’s just me.)

He said he was going to be in NH early and often. He didn’t bother copying anyone on the memo that he really wasn’t coming here.

Carl Cameron refers to him off air as “the next President of the United States” and he sluffs it off.

In the debates he’s looked unprepared and hasn’t come across very strong at all.

He doesn’t feel he needs to win Iowa but would like to do better than 4th. I’m sorry, but you go out and say, “I want to win Iowa and I’m going to win Iowa.” Mike Huckabee is leading in Iowa at the moment. (MIKE HUCKABEE?!?!?) Fred should be able to clean his clock in the polls there because Huckabee is, for all intents and purposes, the next coming of George W. Bush.

There is a wealth of riches on the GOP side and I say that because we’re typically lucky if we can get one solid person running we feel would do a good job. This cycle, we’ve got several superstar names with instant recognition. The field is that much tougher, so Fred needs to run that much harder having gotten in the game so late–and he’s not.

He’s not showing any fire or passion or zeal on the trail and voters can see it. It’s not just what’s being projected in the media–it’s actually happening that way.

What should he have done? He needed to run and run hard in all 50 states. He needed to show some real fire and get the base energized. He needed to go on the offensive and not just throw out chiding remarks about his rivals every few days or so. He needed to utilize the grassroots more. He needed to make some significant ad buys. He needed to realize that the people in Iowa watch what’s going on in New Hampshire and the people in New Hampshire watch what’s going on in Iowa.

Fred Thompson is a Conservative’s Conservative and he’s the only one in this race who can claim to be the standard-bearer of Reagan and Goldwater. He may win South Carolina–and good for him–but, this strategy will likely lose him a lot of states in the process. What good does it do to win the first electoral contest of the South but lose the nomination?

ConBlog_NH on December 11, 2007 at 4:40 PM

That Fred Thompson campaign has really taken off hasn’t it?

Hilts on December 11, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Besides Glen Beck Show he’s also on the Sean Hannity Show today.

spacemonkey on December 11, 2007 at 4:44 PM

There was a recent article in which the number of campaign appearances in a 2 week period in November. The candidate with the most appearances? Surprise! It was Fred.

In terms of locations visited, he was in the middle of the pack. It’s a bit disingenuous to pick a single day and infer from that.

Hollowpoint on December 11, 2007 at 4:47 PM

ConBlog_NH on December 11, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Great post.

I really think Fred could have been everything you said he could have, but for whatever maddening, inexplicable reason, he just refuses to show it.

Damn, it’s frustrating.

thirteen28 on December 11, 2007 at 4:49 PM

I gets stuff from his campaign all the time. But again Its always the same old same old.

I dont think the problem is Fred as much as his campaign staff sucks

William Amos on December 11, 2007 at 4:50 PM

We know you’re masochistic, Moon God, but there’s no reason to keep spreading the “lazy” FUD.

someone on December 11, 2007 at 4:50 PM

By the way… Where was he today?

On Glenn Beck.

Seems you’re the one who’s lazy.

someone on December 11, 2007 at 4:52 PM

CP on December 11, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Fraud! Thompson is just another foolish Hollyweird Actor who says to himself: “Don’t you know who I am? I’m Fred Thompson! I was on TV!”

Not even I could have predicted lazy old Fred would have tanked so spectacularly. I knew he was all fluff ‘n stuff and was riding solely on star power to begin with, but he’s not even competing at this point.

Who shoots for third? A loser. America hates a loser (~Patton), Fred Thompson.

BKennedy on December 11, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Maybe campaigning is too hard on his health. Douglas died within a year of the election after losing to Lincoln. Many say it was the grueling campaign.

Valiant on December 11, 2007 at 4:55 PM

I hope I’m wrong, but it looking like he didn’t want this burden in the first place.

Helloyawl on December 11, 2007 at 4:56 PM

That the WSJ denies a blogger influence in America is not surprising. Bloggers do not pay for the WSJ. The WSJ would not willingly cede their own power/influence to others. Note well, the MSM pretend that Fred Thompson has no campaign AND that bloggers do not represent a viable voter population. REALLY?! Because the WSJ chooses to ignore you or me, we either do not exist or do not matter.

Today we note McCain’s supposed rise to high support across America from the depths of his “dead” campaign.

It has previously been noted that Huckabee’s rise from the bottom gives Thompson’s campaign reason to believe that Fred has every chance as well.

Fred Thompson has support across America from everyone who is a conservative Republican. That the media, blogs included, ignore Fred “smacks of intolerance” for the very thing that we all crave; a clean and clear platform and campaign that appears to eschew the insanity of minute-by-minute projections constantly bombarded as “news” while from around the world or in our communities, REAL NEWS is ignored. Why should Fred pander to the MSM when they won’t even admit his existence?

“PLEASE, pretty please with sugar on top; look at me,” is not presidential and it certainly is not Fred Thompson. I am willing to support Fred Thompson because I agree with his platform and record enough to keep him my first option. America would be elated to realize that by refusing to allow big money to determine our minds, we CAN elect whom we CHOOSE, though they would do their damnest to prevent our choice.

maverick muse on December 11, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Seems you’re the one who’s lazy.

someone on December 11, 2007 at 4:52 PM

To get votes you have to press palms, not sit in a radio studio. Meet and greet. That’s politics.

lorien1973 on December 11, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Is it that he’s not doing anything, or is it that there’s a media blackout on him?

- The Cat

MirCat on December 11, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Huckabee may be getting all the print lately, but I really think now would be a good time for him to start rehearsing his Dean Scream.

saint kansas on December 11, 2007 at 5:04 PM

- The Cat

MirCat on December 11, 2007 at 5:01 PM

It sure sounds like media blackout to me. I’d suggest he start attacking specific candidates so the media will cover the controversy.

Hollowpoint on December 11, 2007 at 5:08 PM

Gee a Fred thread that has people talking….impressive!

CP on December 11, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Your point strikes true to me. I guess my question would be one of ‘bad staff’ or ‘bad management’? (I know…I know…it is always the bosses ultimate fault). This entire campaign has every candidate scrambling…I don’t know if Fred was prepared for that.

Limerick on December 11, 2007 at 5:08 PM

- The Cat

MirCat on December 11, 2007 at 5:01 PM

I’ve been thinking the same thing. The lowest polling candidate (Huck) rockets to unrealistic heights in a huge media push that’s covered everywhere.

The candidate who’s actually conservative gets zero press at all. The dems believe they can break Huck’s glass jaw, and they’re absolutely correct.

Just my opinion, but I really think the dems and the msm are frightened by Thompson and view him as a real threat. Best way to squash that threat is to pretend he doesn’t exist.

I still support him and hope he does well when it comes down to real people actually voting. We’ll see.

techno_barbarian on December 11, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Fred is waiting for everyone to get so frustrated with the Huck-mania that he is biding his time to burst forth and take over for a frustrated GOP base.

Right? That would be nice anyway

brak on December 11, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Has far as the MSM…..no words except disrespect. I’m a Sunday morning talking heads addict…switch between them all….Romney, Rudy, Huck, Hill, Obama, Edwards, McCain…..and they ‘there is this Thompson fella’. The conservative in me want’s to cry foul, but I’m starting to feel that if you want your name out there then you need to DO something to get them talking.

Limerick on December 11, 2007 at 5:17 PM

- The Cat

MirCat on December 11, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Sure feels like a blackout. There was absolutely no mention of a Badger Poll that put Thompson on top in Wisconsin here in the Milwaukee area, either in print or electronic, even though it came out yesterday afternoon.

steveegg on December 11, 2007 at 5:18 PM

Regardless of all the experts here and they’re devisive opines… Fred is still the best candidate by a long, long shot. And the only true conservative. I think Fred knows that and knows we all know that so he’s figuring it this way… if you want a real president, a conservative president, you’ll vote for me. If not… enjoy the retarded s.o.b. you’ll get…

I rather enjoy his attitude.

I got 7 e-mails from him today. Someone is doing something.

Griz on December 11, 2007 at 5:22 PM

I have about lost hope on him. I was not really a Fred! guy, (I am still looking for who I want to support) but I did like the idea of Fred if for no other reason than he could pull the other candidates right. But he has turned out to be a flop for the most part in that area as well. The other candidates don’t take him seriously and until they do and he scares them he has no shot at pulling them right. They are all for the most part left of center and happy to stay there.

Depression………….

conservnut on December 11, 2007 at 5:26 PM

I’m not inclined to believe it’s a media blackout with “Fred!” or with Ru(on)Paul.

I’m sure that there are plenty of people around Fred who are doing things. I’m just not so certain that Fred is doing all he needs to do. He’s got a tremendously flawed strategy, me thinks.

ConBlog_NH on December 11, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Maybe he’s dead and running a “Weekend At Bernie’s”-style campaign. /jk

He’d have been good but seems to have missed the boat.

aengus on December 11, 2007 at 5:29 PM

A media blackout? The media can’t black out that which doesn’t exist. Fred may be a politician, but he doesn’t appear much of a campaigner. His strategy of “Here I am, vote for me if you like me, don’t if you don’t” is great for anyone who has been on board with him from the beginning, but it’s sure not winning him any new votes.

World B. Free on December 11, 2007 at 5:32 PM

By the way… Where was he today?

On Glenn Beck.

Seems you’re the one who’s lazy.

someone on December 11, 2007 at 4:52 PM

And how did the interview go?

GLENN: Good. We have a couple of ways to go. I’m afraid, because we’ve been trying for a long time, I’m afraid that we’re going to eat up our 15 minutes here and then I’m not going to get a chance to talk to you again and —

Maybe Fred is afraid he will use up his cell phone minutes.

I blame it on the writers’ strike.

pedestrian on December 11, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Allahpundit on December 11, 2007 at 4:14 PM

The only scenario I can imagine is that a vast reserve of undecided voters that don’t pay much attention to politics and typically answer “undecided” when polled will, at the last instant, rebel against the splintering factions of Reagan’s coalition that are trying to take over the Party and will instead vote for Fred, thus destroying all of the historical electoral forecasting models built upon the early primary states.

FloatingRock on December 11, 2007 at 6:07 PM

FloatingRock on December 11, 2007 at 6:07 PM

By comment above was regarding the entire primary, not just Iowa.

FloatingRock on December 11, 2007 at 6:08 PM

I don’t get it either. He really is the only hope.

Rose on December 11, 2007 at 4:05 PM

I lol’d.

Nonfactor on December 11, 2007 at 6:14 PM

Seems like he’s given up. Which is really a shame, because although he’s wrong on foreign policy and the income tax, he’s otherwise unoffensive to me. It just doesn’t seem like he cares at all.

Third in Iowa? Heck. I’ll be surprised if he gets fourth. Especially with Huckabee and Paul turning up the heat (Huckabee with his church-network, Paul with his overflowing coffers of fiat money that he’ll have to spend quickly before it depreciates).

Mark Jaquith on December 11, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Fred doesn’t have to do much. He, and only a couple of others (that have no chance at all) are even remotely conservative. He can just kick back and let the front-running Rino’s slaughter themselves. What more do you want him to do? What questions would you like him to answer again and again? Guiliani, Huck, and Mitt have tons of explaining to do, and more flip-flops up ahead. Why get in the middle of this?

nottakingsides on December 11, 2007 at 6:42 PM

What a shock. Fred raise a bunch of money from a bunch of suckers, but is now too lazy to run. What on earth will Fred do with all the left over money.

tommylotto on December 11, 2007 at 6:51 PM

tommylotto on December 11, 2007 at 6:51 PM

And with that ‘ImWithFred’ just got my 3 digit authorization code.

Limerick on December 11, 2007 at 7:21 PM

nottakingsides on December 11, 2007 at 6:42 PM

Fred could be a Ronald Reagan clone and it wouldn’t matter for all the world how conservative he is if he derails his own campaign through mismanagement. Fred is a poor verbal communicator and has not put any fight into his campaign.

Seriously, the man is shooting for third in the first primary states and hasn’t a chance of winning anything except SC. Even his national numbers are in the single digits. Fred has plunged more than any other candidate because he thought he was the annointed one and he wasn’t.

BKennedy on December 11, 2007 at 8:14 PM

Nelsa on December 11, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Thanks for that!

Gatordoug on December 11, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Allahpundit on December 11, 2007 at 4:22 PM

I get the feeling if Fred did 5 events he would get no credit, he would instead get criticized for not staying or speaking long enough.

Gatordoug on December 11, 2007 at 8:46 PM

Hollowpoint on December 11, 2007 at 4:47 PM

COME ON! Why bring the facts up, man that is so unfair!

Gatordoug on December 11, 2007 at 8:49 PM

I don’t understand what the hell is wrong with him… If he was even half as smart as he is, and had only 1/10th of the experience he has, he’d have a smart energetic team around him and at least manage the press to appear like he wants to be POTUS.

AlexB on December 11, 2007 at 9:47 PM

Where is csdeven? Time to come back now.

Entelechy on December 11, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Reading political blogs/news on a daily basis is like day-trading stocks, and folks who do it run a high risk of getting burned out if they lose perspective.

I like Thompson’s principles and platform, and am extremely underwhelmed by his campaign. He’s still got plenty of time to turn it around, though.

Huckabee is a flash in the “voting for the wrong candidate is an unpardonable sin” pan; I anticipate (and hope) his support to dry up once the real voting starts. Romney’s the real deal, as is Giuliani, who will return to the media spotlight once the Huck/Romney Iowa battle is over.

Lots of campaign left to go, folks. And political fortunes can be made and lost in a matter of days.

Harpazo on December 11, 2007 at 11:16 PM

maverick muse on December 11, 2007 at 4:57 PM

techno_barbarian on December 11, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Good posts.

FOX won’t say much negative about any Republican with the exception of Fred Thompson. Today Cavuto had some guy on talking about how Huckabee is the “true compassionate conservative,” -do we really want another one of those? Evidently Hume & Co. think so. Bandwagon, I guess.

The left media is pushing Huck for obvious reasons, although they play back and forth between Huck and Mitt, leaving Thompson out because he is the last one they want to win.

Connie on December 11, 2007 at 11:22 PM

Where is csdeven? Time to come back now.

Entelechy on December 11, 2007 at 10:42 PM

He is reincarnated in BKennedy.

Connie on December 11, 2007 at 11:23 PM

Where is csdeven? Time to come back now.

Entelechy on December 11, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Unless you’re saying he should come back to taking his meds, no it’s not.

Hollowpoint on December 12, 2007 at 12:49 AM

COME ON! Why bring the facts up, man that is so unfair!

Gatordoug on December 11, 2007 at 8:49 PM

Yeah, I know- we should be talking about important things, like who has the nicest hair and best comedy speechwriter. That’s all that seems to matter.

Hollowpoint on December 12, 2007 at 12:51 AM

Remember the Bush 2000 campaign? Things were in a big stat of flux for a long time and Bush emerged eventually to win the nomination. I think he’s doing fine. We here at HA are too close to politics to see how this plays to Joe and Jane 6 pack. I MUCH prefer Fred to all the others but if I can’t be Fred state I’ll at least be red state. Go Fred!

Mojave Mark on December 12, 2007 at 1:13 AM

Could be he’s playing the “happy third”, waiting while the two favorites of the moment duke it out and damage each other, in which case the third can step up and steal the spotlight. Kinda like Obama’s doing now. So Rudy and Mitt battle and drop in the polls, now Huck’s in as an early fave, but starting to take lots of flak. Pretty soon he’ll be dropping back as well. Who’s left? Fred and McCain. If they were attempting to time it right, then Fred would surge and get on the cover of Newsweek about a week before it was actually polling time. Between now and then, however, “visible but low profile” would not be a bad place to be. Theoretically.

I don’t believe any of that, but there’s the outline of a strategy that could explain Fred’s relative abscence.

JollyRoger on December 12, 2007 at 1:33 AM

Oh, and for reference: think back a week or two ago…where was Huck? Not much MSM coverage there, really not much more than an “also attending…” sentence in the debate reports. However, no one cared, and no one went looking, until poll numbers in Iowa started creeping up. People at least still care where Fred isn’t right no.

/* Full disclosure: Ron Paul is my shepherd, I shall not tax my neighbor’s money. I shall, however, ride the blimp.

JollyRoger on December 12, 2007 at 1:39 AM

By the way… Where was he today?

On Glenn Beck.

Seems you’re the one who’s lazy.

I mentioned the Glenn Beck appearance in my post, which Allah linked, but the point is one radio interview on a day 23 days away from caucuses isn’t great campaigning. He did fine on the radio, but he didn’t mention Iowa or being in Iowa or looking forward to going to Iowa, where the Glenn Beck show is presumably broadcast. And, he’s not on the ground in Iowa, where his opponents are stacking up three events a day, at least.

marykatharine on December 12, 2007 at 10:53 AM