Video: Huckabee admits flipping on Cuba because he’s running for President

posted at 10:55 am on December 11, 2007 by Bryan

I honestly don’t set out every morning to write a negative post about Mike Huckabee, my fellow Southern Baptist. I really don’t. I just want all you Huck supporters out there to know that, because what I’m about to write may be the most negative thing about him that I’ve written yet.

Yesterday, Gov. Huckabee admitted that as governor of Arkansas, and indeed because he was governor of Arkansas, he didn’t know much about the decades-long cold war between the United States and Cuba. He wanted the trade embargo on Cuba lifted so that Arkansas could sell rice to Castro’s island prison. Huckabee didn’t seem to be aware of just how bad what he said sounded, that it made him sound ignorant and unqualified for the job he’s currently pursuing. Surely he does remember hearing about Elian Gonzalez, sent back to Castro’s Cuba by Huckabee’s fellow Arkansan, Bill Clinton? The Mareil boatlift? The Cuban Missile Crisis? The Spanish-American War?

They do have schools in Arkansas, right? These schools do teach history? Mike Huckabee attended school and learned history at some point in his life? Then there is no excuse for him not to know about the decades-long and continuing cold war between the US and Cuba. No excuse at all.

And there is also no excuse for him to flip flop on Cuba just because he’s running for president. His answer regarding this question last night on Hannity & Colmes is refreshingly honest, yet clueless.

Huckabee certainly isn’t the first candidate in either party to flip-flop on an issue because he’s running for president. That has become practically a tradition, going back at least as far as George H. W. Bush’s flip from pro-choice to pro-life to run on the Republican side, and Bill Clinton’s flip on that same issue in the opposite direction in the 1980s to pursue the Democrat nomination. There have been numerous flips in the current race by several of the candidates on both sides. Perhaps I should commend Huckabee for admitting that presidential ambition has caused his Cuba flip. Perhaps. I might, if I thought he had a clue as to why we’ve had decades of hostility between the US and Cuba in the first place.

Comments

Yeah. He did poorly in that interview. Hannity actually had to offer him a do-over– then Gingrich said he better come up with concise answers that withstand scrutiny. Ouch.

JiangxiDad on December 11, 2007 at 11:07 AM

I would be suprised if we don’t have troops in Cuba by election time, post-Castro…

canvas on December 11, 2007 at 11:08 AM

And the monkey flips the switch

But its the process that counts

Geez

EricPWJohnson on December 11, 2007 at 11:08 AM

Someone please explain to me how this man is moving up in the polls for the Republican nomination. I have been reading HA for quite some time and seldom post, but it seems to me that he is less conservative or on the same level as GWB. One of you Hucksters please bring me up to speed. Thanks.

Suburbandad on December 11, 2007 at 11:09 AM

I don’t take it as much of a flip as an advocacy thing. Whether correct or incorrect he seemed to take the stance of a lawyer going to bat for a client and doing whats in their best interest.

I’ve said many times, Huckabee is basically Bush but with better public speaking skills. He’s going to have issues where his “compassion” leads him a certain way that many conservatives are opposed to. At least he seems to be willing to listen to us on issues.

bj1126 on December 11, 2007 at 11:11 AM

At least he seems to be willing to listen to us on issues.

One issue I have a problem with is his stance on college tuition for illegal aliens. He won’t change his position because his “soul” won’t let him. What else will his “soul” not let him do?

amerpundit on December 11, 2007 at 11:17 AM

If it isn’t in the Bible it isn’t important.

ronsfi on December 11, 2007 at 11:21 AM

These flip floppers get a free pass. All most people want is words…where is the demand for action.
Well, the reason is that action takes time and commitment, something several of these candidates do not have. They may have drive, and some a ton of money, but commitment to an ideology? Haven’t seen it. The only one that has been consistent in being a conservative is Fred, and he drove a red truck and hired his son (as opposed to Mitt who bought an RV and hired several sons).
For Huck not to know about Cuba, and being even thought of as a candidate…unbelievable, inconceivable, incomprehensible, this is how far removed from real life these guys are.
Good thing he didn’t go on “Are you smarter then a 5th grader?”.

right2bright on December 11, 2007 at 11:21 AM

Sorry, can’t explain it. I’m even in Iowa and I can’t explain this Huck surge. I still have this hope that’s it all a media construct and the support for Huck really isn’t there, but it’s a faint hope…

brak on December 11, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Suburbandad on December 11, 2007 at 11:09 AM

From another thread, about Obama, but may apply here:

Michelle Obama spoke in the same terms: “We need a leader who’s going to touch our souls. Who’s going to make us feel differently about one another. Who’s going to remind us that we are one another’s keepers. That we are only as strong as the weakest among us.”

This isn’t merely overpromising. It’s a creepy inflation of a political figure into a secular version of the Second Coming. Oprah implied the same thing, quoting a film in which an old, long-suffering woman asks every child she meets — in a question fraught with messianic symbolism — “Are you the one?” Oprah continued, referring to Obama, “It’s a question the entire nation is asking — is he the one? South Carolina — I do believe he’s the one.”

JiangxiDad on December 11, 2007 at 11:30 AM

And the monkey flips the switch

“I was elected to lead… not to read… #3″

Skywise on December 11, 2007 at 11:31 AM

This guy is not even close to being ready for prime time. He’s continually being either clueless or not conservative. Someone please cue the giant hook to drag him offstage.

Maybe you should do a Huckabee followup to Mohammed Bear and call it “Pander Bear”.

ReubenJCogburn on December 11, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Apart from his ignorance of national current events and history, he still tap dances well. Did you notice how he filibustered K.Powers on the question regarding why he wouldn’t make his private correspondence as governor in the clemency cases available? He just talked till it was time for a station break and she gave up in frustration. All goo and treacle till he gets put in a corner, then he reminds me of KKK Byrd. Talks till he numbs ya to death.

a capella on December 11, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Oh please that was an idiotic question to play the “See Hillary’s not the only one keeping documents secret” game.

bj1126 on December 11, 2007 at 11:39 AM

No worries, Bryan. Huckabee makes it soooooo easy to play Hack-a-Huck.

steveegg on December 11, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Thank you brak and JiangxiDad for your replies. Let me see if I fully understand. According to Oprah and Mrs. Obama we need my Mom. She has always been a strong uniter. I wonder if she’s doing anything this political season? “Hey Mom….”

Suburbandad on December 11, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Suburbandad on December 11, 2007 at 11:09 AM

At this point he’s moving up for several reasons. 1). Evangelical Christian Republicans noticed and liked the fact that he has emerged as the “Christian Leader” of the field. 2). If you havn’t yet realized he’s a phoney and a nanny stater, clueless on foreign policy he’s a very likeable guy. 3). The talking heads in the media are pushing him as best they can. They know that the higher he rises the more damage he causes to the Romney and Thompson campaigns. The Democratic strategists are practically working for the Huckabee campaign right now for this same reason. They know that propping up Huckabee is doing more damage to the serious republican candidates then any negative ad could ever do. Therefore everytime they get on camera they take each available second ghasping breathlessly about how wonderful Huckabee is. 4). Even amongst Republican primary voters there are clueless bafoons who refuse to open their eyes to reality.

Zetterson on December 11, 2007 at 11:49 AM

bj1126 on December 11, 2007 at 11:39 AM

Yes, and I really hope Republican primary voters would never stoop so low as to vote for the same type of corruption provided so frequently by the Clintons. That would be truly sad.

Zetterson on December 11, 2007 at 11:52 AM

bj1126 on December 11, 2007 at 11:39 AM

Then why didn’t he call her on it, instead of talking in circles? Seemed like a pretty fair question to me. And, I still don’t know why he won’t release them. He claims they got put in a big folder for the parole board, but didn’t bother to clarify if there were more. ??? Taken along with the fact that much of his early sermon material has mysteriously disappeared, maybe he figures the filibuster is best when the shoe starts to pinch.

a capella on December 11, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Is the only reason this guy is “leading” any polls his religion?

If that’s the case, it surely doesn’t do much to change any southern/Baptist/Evangelical stereotypes.

mattshu on December 11, 2007 at 12:02 PM

I saw this last night and Huckabeen was so very weak.
He’s startin’ to sound like a Dem and he’s really starting to scare me.

Suburbandad on December 11, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Hey now, my mom’s better than your mom for pres. :-)

shooter on December 11, 2007 at 12:04 PM

Zetterson on December 11, 2007 at 11:49 AM
I think you’re right.

shooter on December 11, 2007 at 12:07 PM

Zetterson on December 11, 2007 at 11:49 AM

That pretty much summed up my take on Huck in a nutshell. Any time the MSM has something good to say about a Republican you can be sure of two things:
1. They are building them up for the tear down
2. They are not a conservative Republican

I know tommylotto hates the Fred! but I have to say he is the closest thing to a conservative in this election.

Suburbandad on December 11, 2007 at 12:08 PM

1. They are building them up for the tear down
2. They are not a conservative Republican

Suburbandad on December 11, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Yup, and what do you think it means when Dem strategists consistently have glowing things to say about a particular Republican candidate for President?

Zetterson on December 11, 2007 at 12:13 PM

shooter on December 11, 2007 at 12:04 PM

My Mom is a “Reformed” liberal. It took Dad only 45 years to drag her to the dark side. I would take most Moms over Hildebeast and “The Chosen One”.

Suburbandad on December 11, 2007 at 12:15 PM

It says two things (once again):
1.They have something on them/they are the weakest
2.That candidate is closest to them in ideas

Am I close?

Suburbandad on December 11, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Am I close?

Suburbandad on December 11, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Yup, I believe you are right.

Zetterson on December 11, 2007 at 12:33 PM

And as we think it, it is posted

Suburbandad on December 11, 2007 at 12:36 PM

I missed the answer, was busy doing stuff at the time the interview was on but was told he basically said, “What records? There isn’t anything there but the parole board might.”

bj1126 on December 11, 2007 at 12:51 PM

This guy scares the bejebbers out of me! NEWT!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on December 11, 2007 at 12:54 PM

what’s up with all the Huck headlines on Hot Air?

jediwebdude on December 11, 2007 at 2:20 PM

what’s up with all the Huck headlines on Hot Air?

jediwebdude on December 11, 2007 at 2:20 PM

At the risk for speaking for the gang, it’s because the press won’t fully-expose those headlines until and unless Huckabee is the nominee.

steveegg on December 11, 2007 at 2:40 PM

what’s up with all the Huck headlines on Hot Air?

jediwebdude on December 11, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Making up for lost time perhaps. Before he was a front-runner, he didn’t get much scrutiny- or headlines. Now that his campaign has surged, he gets the scrutiny that Fred, Rudy, Romney and McCain have gotten over the past 8 months or so… and there’s a LOT to scrutinize with this guy.

Hollowpoint on December 11, 2007 at 2:55 PM

The recent surge in the polls by Huck, if really true, is irrational. And therefore scary.

Wouldn’t it be great if voters actually did some research on the candidates’ records??

Maybe we should reintroduce the poll tax – no money involved, just required attendance at research seminars. And yes, there will be a quiz.

fred5678 on December 11, 2007 at 5:10 PM

I liked Huckabee at the onset of his campaign. But the more I hear him the less I like him frankly. He is an empty suit!

Gatordoug on December 11, 2007 at 8:36 PM

what’s up with all the Huck headlines on Hot Air?

jediwebdude on December 11, 2007 at 2:20 PM

In addition to the good answers that have already been given, Huckabee keeps saying and doing stupid crap at a rate that Allah and Bryan can barely keep up with. But when you’re the frontrunner you just naturally get more scrutiny than when you’re back in the pack.

ReubenJCogburn on December 11, 2007 at 9:02 PM