Video: Ron Paul gets booed at the Univision GOP debate

posted at 8:00 am on December 10, 2007 by Bryan

This segment is in Spanish, but for non-Spanish speakers (including myself, since I made the mistake of taking two years of French in high school) it’s still entertaining. The host leads the question by noting the Venezuelan vote rejecting Hugo Chavez’s bid to become dictator for life, gets some applause, and then asks Ron Paul about Latin American policy. He goes off on yet another “It’s all America’s fault” rant, earning himself a couple rounds of loud boos.

Politico has the gist of the exchange that earned Paul the audience’s scorn.

He just walked into the lion’s den by saying we ought to both talk and trade with Castro’s Cuba.

Loud boos followed.

He then said our policies propped up the likes of Fidel and Hugo Chavez.

More boos.

Update: Here’s a transcript of the entire debate.

Comments

I’m NOT a Ron Paul supporter, but at least I give the guy credit for not pandering to his audience.

What would politiciants like Hillary have been saying in this debate based on the audience?

asc85 on December 10, 2007 at 8:17 AM

What a farce. It has gotten to the point where politicians are willing to surrender to begging votes through translators. If these people can’t understand English enough to understand what English speaking candidates in an English speaking country are about, they should not be voting.

I learned a Spanish word that applies to this situation, “Boooo!!!!!!”

Hening on December 10, 2007 at 8:22 AM

Hmmmm… maybe that little feller’s not quite as smart as he’s cracked up to be?

Boy the folks at Digg aren’t gonna be happy about this.

thareb on December 10, 2007 at 8:29 AM

Aye yie yie no me gusta.
In other news, here in SC Ron Paul ads are hitting the radio waves. The last one I heard said Ron Paul was the Only Man Who Could Save America…from the North American Union. It hit all the NAU talking points including the NAFTA Superhighway.

BohicaTwentyTwo on December 10, 2007 at 8:31 AM

I have no problem with people booing Ron Paul in whatever language. I DO have a problem with a debate that is essentially aimed at the illegals and newly arrived among us. There is no other word to use in this situation but pandering.

highhopes on December 10, 2007 at 8:31 AM

Boy, he’s just making friends everywhere, isn’t he?

amerpundit on December 10, 2007 at 8:34 AM

asc85 on December 10, 2007 at 8:17 AM

Not sure what she’d say, but I’d be willing to bet she’d have shown up in a poncho and a sombrero, and referred to the moderators as “esse” and “mang”.

RightWinged on December 10, 2007 at 8:35 AM

This would have been a golden opportunity,
to stack,and plant the audience as an insurance
policy to override those Boo’s. haha

canopfor on December 10, 2007 at 8:36 AM

This appears to be in a foreign language.

jake-the-goose on December 10, 2007 at 8:38 AM

Paul makes some of the liberals look rational.

William Teach on December 10, 2007 at 8:40 AM

The expression on Senator McCain’s face was all the translation needed.

“esse” and “mang”.

RightWinged on December 10, 2007 at 8:35 AM

LOL

RushBaby on December 10, 2007 at 8:45 AM

Being booed by a Spanish speaking audience in and of itself isn’t necessarily a bad thing but validating a scum bag like Castro in anyway other way than to squash him like a bug, is.

Speakup on December 10, 2007 at 8:46 AM

Boy the folks at Digg aren’t gonna be happy about this.

The folks at Digg are *silent* about this.

Cipherprime on December 10, 2007 at 8:47 AM

I didn’t know Ron Paul spoke spanish so well! That’s a neat trick where his lips don’t match his spoken words, kind of like speed racer!

This might just influence my vote.

pb5000 on December 10, 2007 at 8:49 AM

Any plantanos in the audience?

JiangxiDad on December 10, 2007 at 8:51 AM

Paul makes some of the liberals look rational.

William Teach on December 10, 2007 at 8:40 AM

I’d vote for Obama before I would vote for this douche.

Jaibones on December 10, 2007 at 9:09 AM

Prediction: All the annoying Ron Paul groupies will be spamming the internet with comments about how their candidate “nailed it” during this debate. They are a small group, but like fleas, hard to get rid of!

highhopes on December 10, 2007 at 9:15 AM

but like fleas, hard to get rid of!

highhopes on December 10, 2007 at 9:15 AM

Getting rid of fleas usually requires the use of hormone attractants, I wonder what would work on Paulites?

A gigantic poster of the Federal Reserve with a large automated Rube Goldberg mallet maybe?

Speakup on December 10, 2007 at 9:24 AM

I don’t mind the Spanish debate… A lot of people around here seem to forget that Mexico isn’t the only Spanish speaking country represented among our immigrant population. Cubans, and really any Latin American immigrants fleeing from a Marxist hell hole, are a pretty loyal Republican constituency and I would just as soon it stayed that way.

Lehosh on December 10, 2007 at 9:30 AM

Have not respect for candidates going on CNN you tube debate or Spanish debate. Am at a loss who will get my vote. Tanc is the only one who wouldn’t go on the Spanish debate, but he is not in the upper tier. They all softened their tone on immagration, speaking out of both sides of their mouths.

calgrammy on December 10, 2007 at 9:39 AM

Why is the GOP playing footsie with a hostile philosophy? Clearly, there are people opposed to the immigration law and policies of the United States, including Huckles and McCain. Tom gets another “attaboy” from me for boycotting this folly. Tom would make a heck of a VEEP as would Hunter.

The open borders crowd is the real enemy, including Bushie.

saved on December 10, 2007 at 9:48 AM

I am with Tancredo on this. What no German, Russian, Italian debates?

d1carter on December 10, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Tancredo has a point, but these ‘debates’ are going to go ahead anyway…so if he had any balls he’d do what RP did and get up there to speak the unvarnished truth.

Kudos to RP.

Ochlan on December 10, 2007 at 10:11 AM

Ron Paul has a point here if you think about it. The REASON that leaders like Chavez and Castro are able to muster up so much power is that they play a fear based game with their respective populations where they place themselves as the only possible savior against the evil giant that is America. If America was to deal with these countries on a diplomatic level, there is no way that scumbags like Castro or Chavez would be able to come to power and remain in power for so long.

muyoso on December 10, 2007 at 10:38 AM

I’m about to Digg this, though I’m sure it will be buried VERY quickly, as it almost seems like some dark force pays thousands of Paulnuts to sit around doing nothing but digging. Honestly, wouldn’t this have to be the case? How else do they pull this guerrilla campaigning nonsense?

Anyway, I’ll throw the Digg link up here in a minute for anyone who’d like to watch it get buried in record time.

RightWinged on December 10, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Here’s your Digg link… now watch the swarm of nuts bury the crap out of this thing:

RightWinged on December 10, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Anyone who is part of the “blame America first” crowd is a putz and Ron Paul is their king.

GT on December 10, 2007 at 11:50 AM

How do you say “Paultards” in Spanish?

Kensington on December 10, 2007 at 12:00 PM

I made the mistake of taking two years of French in high school

You probably grew up during that time when French was perceived as the International Language. When words like Dètente was in vogue.

Ron Paul’s, “We create them” crap is just that, crap. Thugs are just that thugs and after two world wars he should be old enough to know better. There are people that buy into that “It’s all America’s fault” crap, but they are mostly leftist in my experience.

History shows that American “English” replaced Frenchy French as the international language and some in the international community, Europe, didn’t take kindly to the American upstarts success.

Kini on December 10, 2007 at 12:01 PM

It is his fault! Going into the stage without John, George or Ringo!

Ropera on December 10, 2007 at 12:34 PM

I think he was trying to pander, but he didn’t understand the audience.

Go figure.

mojo on December 10, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Anyone who is part of the “blameless America” crowd is a putz and there are so many monkeys clamoring to be crowned king they’ve formed a simean pyramid.

Ochlan on December 10, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Castro tried to blow up NYC decades before Bin Laden got the Twin Towers. having “diplomatic” relations with thugs like that, which have always wished the USA and what it stands for, nothing but harm and ill-will!!! is extremely naive of human nature and the history of the issue.

the United States did not ‘create’ Castro or Chavez, Karl Marx and to a lesser extent the Soviets did. It’s no wonder that Chavez is allying with the Jihadist, they have a common cause being opposed to Liberty and the United States.

To take Ron Paul’s stance, you either have to be ignorant and stupid, or like much of the left and wish for the downfall of the United States and its experiment with real Liberty.

jp on December 10, 2007 at 3:22 PM

I mean, wish I was ignorant enough to sit back and think that ALL the ills of the world were caused by countries other than America. I wish I was so biased that I sat back thinking America was flawless and had never done any wrong. But instead, I actually read up on history, learned my geopolitics, studied the nuances of our foreign policy decisions, and have come to the conclusion that MANY of our actions as a country, dealing with foreign entities, come back to bite us in the ass years later. I am not BLAMING america, but remember, we trained Al Qaeda, we supported Saddam, we CERTAINLY didnt help things in cuba with the failed Bay of Pigs invasion, etc. Its not about BLAMING America. You people who claim that Ron Paul is in a “blame America first” group are retarded. Its about OWNING the crap we have done, and trying to minimize the crap we cause in the future.

muyoso on December 10, 2007 at 6:22 PM

muyoso on December 10, 2007 at 6:22 PM

*nod*

Ochlan on December 10, 2007 at 6:52 PM

How do you say “Paultards” in Spanish?

Pablotardos.