Redacted, mother of all flops

posted at 9:28 am on December 10, 2007 by Bryan

Byron York reports that the Mark Cuban/Brian De Palma anti-war film Redacted has earned $60,456 at the box office. Total. That’s for a film that has one of Hollywood’s biggest names and one of the country’s deepest pocketbooks behind it.

To put that earning figure into some perspective, York compares Redacted earnings to films like Beowulf, which is a film that people actually want to see. Beowulf has hauled in about $75 million so far. Another way to size up Redacted’s monster flop is to do a little division. Figuring $10 a ticket, in its entire run Redacted has attracted just 6,046 viewers (rounding up from 6,045.6). Total. To put that into some perspective, that 35-second cute cat video I posted last week has attracted 2.7 million viewers. The YouTube series Happy Slip, a series featuring no big name talent with no Hollywood promotion machine attracting headlines or generating buzz, regularly attracts half a million viewers per episode.

So yeah, I’d say that Redacted is a ginormous, Ishtar-grade flop.

Update: Redacted has also attracted a smaller audience than this video of a guy talking about shaving.

Update: On the other hand, Hollywood is still capable of making films that depict US troops as self-sacrificing heroes, and such a film released in 2007 did extremely well at the box office. The giant frickin’ robots didn’t hurt, naturally.

Comments

And the people rejoice!

Grafted on December 10, 2007 at 9:32 AM

GOOD!

It is probably too much to think that Hollywood would learn from this but at least the public isn’t enabling this kind of crap by purchasing tickets.

highhopes on December 10, 2007 at 9:33 AM

Told ya beotches we don’t like watching “America is evil” movies.

Take a walk Depalma, you hack.

(Blowout, indeed.)

tickleddragon on December 10, 2007 at 9:35 AM

Awww. That just breaks my heart.

DePalma is history in my book. I’ll never pay a penny to see anything he has anything to do with again. Same goes for money bags Cuban

Rod on December 10, 2007 at 9:35 AM

They loved it at the Havana Film Festival last week.

JammieWearingFool on December 10, 2007 at 9:35 AM

How much did it cost to make?

bj1126 on December 10, 2007 at 9:36 AM

For 60,000 bucks, Cuban sold his sole…he may be a billionaire but he is one cheap whore.

right2bright on December 10, 2007 at 9:37 AM

He will outsource his viewing audience which will guarantee an academy award from the blame America crowd.

captivated_dem on December 10, 2007 at 9:43 AM

Glad to hear it. Hope people’s memories are real long about this and remember who was involved with it.

How is Cuban being treated where he lives?

katieanne on December 10, 2007 at 9:48 AM

How much did it cost to make?

bj1126 on December 10, 2007 at 9:36 AM

Wikipedia says $5 Million, but I haven’t seen it elsewhere.

amerpundit on December 10, 2007 at 9:49 AM

The big question: Will it make more or less money than Howard the Duck?

Wuptdo on December 10, 2007 at 9:50 AM

6000 people TOTAL attended this stinkburger of a film???

Yikes.

I know some Bar Mitzvahs that have a higher attendance that that.

Always Right on December 10, 2007 at 9:52 AM

I love it!

Will Cuban and DePalma do an interview for us? Bryan, give ‘em a call.

Now if congress would see their Amnesty plan is on the same level of disdain with the American people maybe we can save millions of our tax dollars (and countless hours) and shred that useless bit of propaganda as well.

shooter on December 10, 2007 at 9:54 AM

Nah they couldn’t get away with nominating a hydrogen bomb. Besides I’ll bet most of the Academy haven’t even seen it.

aengus on December 10, 2007 at 9:55 AM

Wikipedia says $5 Million, but I haven’t seen it elsewhere.
amerpundit on December 10, 2007 at 9:49

I heard $60 to $70 million.

For 60,000 bucks, Cuban sold his sole..”

He’s in the fish business ??

shooter on December 10, 2007 at 9:56 AM

It appears DePalma’s investment was redacted.

BKennedy on December 10, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Teehee!

GoodBoy on December 10, 2007 at 10:00 AM

aengus on December 10, 2007 at 9:55 AM

You may be right, but Hollywood loves a plot twist.

captivated_dem on December 10, 2007 at 10:00 AM

He can take pleasure in doing better than http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zyzzyx_Road

Though I’m sure he will soon join the list here:

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on December 10, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Dear Hollywood,

You Suck.

Sincerely,

The Rest of America

fogw on December 10, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Love it! I too will never see one of his films, not that I ever went for that type anyways. Everynow and then something like this happens and gives me some optimism for this country.

4shoes on December 10, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Redacted cost 5 million to produce and was released on only a handful of theaters. Nevertheless, it is a flop. Beowolf cost a whopping 150 million to produce and while has recouped the costs, I wouldn’t consider it a big success. ($150 million to make a movie — what were they thinking!)

Blake on December 10, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Great news!

Now, the only question is, will Cuban get the hint and lay off the wacky tabacky?

Ryan Gandy on December 10, 2007 at 10:07 AM

I hope it ruins De Palma’s career.

AlexB on December 10, 2007 at 10:07 AM

When I was younger, I went to the movies weekly – didn’t much matter what was showing. As I got older, I bought mostly bought video’s, rather than go to the movies – then of course, switched to DVD’s, Now, that I’m ancient, I thought, why am I giving my money to people (actors, directors, writers, etc.) that I wouldn’t like if I knew them. I decided not to – and I’ve saved quite a bit in doing so.

msflea on December 10, 2007 at 10:14 AM

I hope it ruins De Palma’s career.

It won’t. Studios regard movies like these as “prestige” products. They can lose money, but they confer an image of “importance” on the studio. So when people accuse them of pumping out lowest-common-denominator trash, they can point to it and say, “But we made that!”

Farmer_Joe on December 10, 2007 at 10:15 AM

It’ll sell like hotcakes overseas and end up making a nice profit.

Laura on December 10, 2007 at 10:17 AM

Cuban….5 million…..his phone bill is bigger then that.

Limerick on December 10, 2007 at 10:17 AM

The big question: Will it make more or less money than Howard the Duck?

Wuptdo on December 10, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Less.

Frozen Tex on December 10, 2007 at 10:17 AM

The Hollywood studios know that most, if not all, of these antiBush, antiUSmilitary anti Iraq war films will die at th box office. Lams and Lions was so stupid and preachy that any half intelligent studio exec would know it would fail. But these folks would rather see their studio lose millions of dollars than pass up the chance to feel morally righteous. They Can’t help themselves. With DePalma, they had to know the movie would bomb. He had made the same movie about the VietNam war twenty years ago (Casualties of War) and that movie couldn’t draw flies at the box office. The plot was exactly the same: American soldiers commit a horrible rape of an innocent and sweet VietNamese girl and then lie and cover it up. Change VietNamese girl to Iraqi girl and it’s the same movie. You have to wonder if DePalma’s decision to make two movie about brutal US soldiers raping an innocent third world child says something about DePalma’s tastes.

Larraby on December 10, 2007 at 10:22 AM

Next up, Charlie Wilson!

drjohn on December 10, 2007 at 10:25 AM

DePalma Rationalizations:

1) The vast right wing conspiracy goons scared away theatergoers.

2) The American people are in massive denial and too weak-minded to stand The Truth.

3) I’m just 10 years ahead of my time.

4) Space Aliens want to have my baby.

profitsbeard on December 10, 2007 at 10:27 AM

$60,456?!?!?!?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Whooo!

That was fun.

I haven’t laughed that hard in ages.

MT

Mistahtibbs on December 10, 2007 at 10:31 AM

Dear Hollywood,

You Suck.

Sincerely,

The Rest of America

fogw on December 10, 2007 at 10:02 AM

LOL

inviolet on December 10, 2007 at 10:31 AM

Consider this: Redacted did $60,000 yet ANOTHER theatrical re-release of Bladerunner did about ONE MILLION

GogglesPisano on December 10, 2007 at 10:31 AM

The big question: Will it make more or less money than Howard the Duck?

Now there’s a flop to be proud of! When Tim Robbins talks about “chill winds” I think he channels his career following this film. ;-0

highhopes on December 10, 2007 at 10:32 AM

highhopes on December 10, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Reminds me of the first episode of South Park when Ike jumps from the alien ship.

Ryan Gandy on December 10, 2007 at 10:33 AM

DePalma Rationalizations:

You missed the big one. Venice loved me and gave me an award so it really doesn’t matter what YOU think.

highhopes on December 10, 2007 at 10:33 AM

It’ll by-pass DVD and go straight to allahtube.

locomotivebreath1901 on December 10, 2007 at 10:40 AM

American’s are (for the most part) positive and want to WIN.

“American’s hate loosing, and will not tolerate a loser” (Patton)

It’s that simple – we like to cheer our teams – we hate booing them.

jake-the-goose on December 10, 2007 at 10:42 AM

Justice is served.

ej_pez on December 10, 2007 at 10:50 AM

If Hollywood wants a story about the Iraq war that people would want to see, they just need to look at the post above this one.

BohicaTwentyTwo on December 10, 2007 at 10:54 AM

They should have expected this to happen. Many Americans may be anti-war, but they aren’t anti-American. Here’s a tip for Hollywood: There is this book out called “Lone Survivor”. Make a movie about that. It will do good at the box office.

SoulGlo on December 10, 2007 at 11:05 AM

Yay, even my Democrat bash/goofy early attempt at using Windows Movie Maker back when I still blogged, beat redacted by nearly 2,000 viewers!

Hell, one of my Saddam execution vids has 10X the views of Redacted, and my other Saddam execution vid has more than 7X. Does this mean I get to make millions of dollars in Hollywood and think I can use my power to force feed enemy propaganda down the throats of the American people?

RightWinged on December 10, 2007 at 11:22 AM

Sweet I out earned a big time Hollywood movie this year.

Dash on December 10, 2007 at 11:26 AM

In the board rooms in Hollywood they are discussing how it wasn’t a bad movie, they just didn’t get the message out so that the American people could understand it. Why, if only the people knew what was really going on, they’d flock to see this movie in all thier righteous indignation. /sarc

Don’t worry, they’ll try again with another anti-military movie. I am surprised we haven’t seen “Abu Ghraib – The Naked Pyramid That Toppled A Superpower.”

Mallard T. Drake on December 10, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Good:

Hollywood shoots itself in the foot

aengus on December 10, 2007 at 9:53 AM

Better:

Hollywood shoots itself in the Left foot.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on December 10, 2007 at 11:55 AM

Good to see these Hollywood types finally get their cumuppence. No reaction yet from them on these figures, huh?

countywolf on December 10, 2007 at 11:56 AM

[Laura on December 10, 2007 at 10:17 AM]

Possibly, but I don’t think so, Laura. It’s only opened in Spain where it grossed $140k, but it isn’t set to open anywhere else until January (Russia-CIS). Then it opens in two places in February and two in March but by then it will be too old and will be crowded out of the theaters by more profitable ones.

On a related note, Rendition has pretty much run it’s course worldwide — $9.7M dom, $6.7M foreign. LOL.

Dusty on December 10, 2007 at 11:57 AM

With all the flops on the big screen and nothing be reruns on the little screen, there’s a wealth of gold on the computer screen.

Kini on December 10, 2007 at 12:07 PM

Given that DePalma and Cuba had two audiences in mind, we shouldn’t rush to the conclusion that they failed in their efforts.

The encitement of American audiences to actively rise up against the war doesn’t seem to be going as planned for them, but we haven’t seen the results of the international release of the film. Once the film starts getting played in the Middle East and Europe, brace for the riots and anti-American violence. Expect al Jazeera to add it to its broadcast offerings.

in_awe on December 10, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Ishtar! LMAO!!

Wow! I couldn’t guess that Transformers is the only pro-troop blockbuster.

budorob on December 10, 2007 at 12:20 PM

shooter on December 10, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Maybe I meant shoe business, big stock holder in Nike.

right2bright on December 10, 2007 at 12:31 PM

It’ll sell like hotcakes overseas and end up making a nice profit.

Laura on December 10, 2007 at 10:17 AM

Probably not.

nottakingsides on December 10, 2007 at 12:32 PM

Ron Paul gave it four thumbs up (aliens have 4 thumbs).

right2bright on December 10, 2007 at 12:32 PM

fogw,

Best post imho. ROFL. If we keep not seeing their drivel, maybe they will get the HINT.

dogsoldier on December 10, 2007 at 12:44 PM

I wonder if De Palma will choose to blame the American cinemagoing public? I imagine that someone in his position must hate cinemagoers; he probably thinks that they are ignorant of his genius, and that they can’t handle The Truth.

Apeking on December 10, 2007 at 2:09 PM

I smell an Oscar!

Dork B. on December 10, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Bryan, you sparked an idea!
How about an Ishtar/Redacted double feature? You know, like Grindhouse-add a few fake trailers and we’re there.

Doug on December 10, 2007 at 3:32 PM

[sarcasm = on]

More people were at our son’s seventh birthday party than watched “Redacted.”

[/Sarcasm off]

William2006 on December 10, 2007 at 4:23 PM

I smell an Oscar!

Dork B. on December 10, 2007 at 2:22 PM

That IS likely.

If it trashes the US and the US military, if it depicts the US as evil, and if no one see is, then it MUST be “Oscar” material among the Hollywood sychophants.

William

William2006 on December 10, 2007 at 4:28 PM

There you go again, Bryan! Posting screencaps of General Zod.

I just Googled him to get further proof for you of the striking likeness… and came across this gem: http://www.zod2008.com/

I think I’m done surfing for the day :)

Dave Shay on December 10, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Mallard T. Drake on December 10, 2007 at 11:47 AM

It was called “Old School.”

Blue, you’re my boy!

SailorDave on December 10, 2007 at 6:16 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

- The Cat

P.S. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MirCat on December 10, 2007 at 6:57 PM

Ah, drink deep of the schadenfreude. :)

ZK on December 10, 2007 at 7:35 PM

I’d say that Redacted is a ginormous, Ishtar-grade flop.

Earning only $60,456? Next to that, Ishtar’s $14,375,181 gross looks pretty good!

NoSquids on December 10, 2007 at 9:02 PM

There you go again, Bryan! Posting screencaps of General Zod.
Dave Shay on December 10, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Interesting how similar Zods platform is to the liberal Democrat platform.

docdave on December 10, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Cuban’s a putz. I hope to meet him one day so I can ask him if he thinks his huckster ways and his flim-flam-man circus act has ingratiated him to the people of his community, or like most of the rest of us, they laugh at him, spraying spittle on his immature moronic geek face.

Cuban is that special place between the butt cheeks that stuff comes out of.

john1schn on December 10, 2007 at 10:52 PM