Audio: Dana Perino not sure what the Cuban Missile Crisis was

posted at 3:11 pm on December 10, 2007 by Allahpundit

Was it anything like the Bay of Pigs? Those international crises just start to blur after awhile, don’t they? Luckily her husband was able to offer some answers. You’re clicking here and skipping ahead to 1:20.

Tammy Bruce declares this not only a fireable offense but deleterious to Perino’s babe quotient. To which the big A replies by smiling, applying the Pickler/Burnett rule, and pronouncing the whole episode simply delightful.

Update: As commenter “Drew” says, it’s a double whammy:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

A long list of Bush Administration embarrassments. Expect a Saturday Night Live take off. Olbermann will have a ball with this. Thank you George Bush and thanks you Ms. Perino for even going on a left wing station like NPR.

Hilts on December 10, 2007 at 3:13 PM

No, Allah, I’m sorry. The White House Press Secretary should know about one of the most momentous events in the last 50 years, particularly since most of it was felt right there, in the White House she speaks for.

Christ…

MadisonConservative on December 10, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Wasn’t Elisabeth Hasselbeck available?

Hilts on December 10, 2007 at 3:15 PM

OK, now I feel old!

bnelson44 on December 10, 2007 at 3:16 PM

This is really two strikes against her. It’s bad enough not knowing what the Cuban Missile Crisis was but then not knowing enough to never tell that story in public? That’s unforgivable, especially for a Press Secretary!

But, she’s blond and damn good looking, so whatever.

Drew on December 10, 2007 at 3:17 PM

True enough, but after six and a half years of incompetent communications by Bush I’m not going to throw a tantrum now.

Allahpundit on December 10, 2007 at 3:17 PM

She should be fired.

JiangxiDad on December 10, 2007 at 3:17 PM

but then not knowing enough to never tell that story in public?

Yeah, I was thinking that too. To be ignorant is one thing, but to be ignorant of how your own ignorance will play?

Allahpundit on December 10, 2007 at 3:17 PM

Well, unfortunately this will only happen more and more as we get a whole generation of people entering the public sphere who have never studied history but only ‘social studies’.

‘Cos, you know, a knowledge of ‘facts’ only shows a slavish adherence to the Patriarchy.

Mr. Bingley on December 10, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Oh, lordy. The expression “ate-up with dumb” comes to mind.

ReubenJCogburn on December 10, 2007 at 3:19 PM

I think we expect way too much from press secretaries and the White House press gaggle. None of them make policy decisions.

bnelson44 on December 10, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Helen Thomas appears vindicated.

Limerick on December 10, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Headline of the day.

“Nancy Knew and Dana Blew.”

Griz on December 10, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Yikes.

marykatharine on December 10, 2007 at 3:22 PM

So she doesn’t know everything. I would keep her.

infidel on December 10, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Helen Thomas appears vindicated.

Limerick on December 10, 2007 at 3:21 PM

When she finds her marbles, I’ll tell her.

JiangxiDad on December 10, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Helen Thomas appears vindicated.

Limerick on December 10, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Never!

bnelson44 on December 10, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Gotta agree with MadisonConservative and others. It’s pathetic that she doesn’t know it, pathetic that she reveals such unreal ignorance on a left leaning program. Typical of the Bush admin though; let’s find new ways of prostrating ourselves and making utter asses of ourselves for the left’s amusement. And no, she should not have such a job if she’s that much of a twit.

tomk59 on December 10, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Another wonderful product of the gubmint edukation system. Probably went to college on a full scholarship to boot. History ain’t a required subject anymore.

LakeRuins on December 10, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Pierino shouldn’t only be fired, she should be executed as well.

/Sarc

I suspect we have people in Congress that are more clueless than this woman. Tammy Bruce’s remedy is a little excessive.

Mike Honcho on December 10, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Helen Thomas appears

Those three words were enough to make me cringe. Would someone please throw a bucket of water on her so she’ll melt and go away?

trubble on December 10, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Yes, it’s dumb, but I’m not gonna get in a frenzy over it and call for her head. I do likes me some Perino. At the very least though, she should rent Thirteen Days and watch it.

CP on December 10, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Helen Thomas appears vindicated.

Limerick on December 10, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Helen Thomas thinks the Bay of Pigs is the name of the swimming pool at Rosie’s house.

fogw on December 10, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Makes me wonder what she knows about the Cold War. Probably ‘nuttin.

LakeRuins on December 10, 2007 at 3:27 PM

I love this story because it makes me feel smart :)

Zetterson on December 10, 2007 at 3:27 PM

I’d still hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be named the next King of England.

Blacksheep on December 10, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Frankly, even more depressing than the lack of knowledge on her part was the revelation that she has a husband. Heart-ache city for me.

Wineaholic on December 10, 2007 at 3:29 PM

I’ve seen interviews of people on the street, who couldn’t name our enemies [any of them] during World War 2. They couldn’t say who fought against whom in the Civil War. The stunning, stupidity of America will be our downfall. I’ve said it once – I’ll say it, again – the seeds of Socialism are illiteracy and ignorance. There is a reason that the Socialists have sought control of our public schools.

The illiterate and the ignorant are easily led; and, apparently, worthy of being press secretaries.

OhEssYouCowboys on December 10, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Sorry AP.. the babe-quotient does not forgive all sins.

Dana Perino is evidently just another brain-dead igonrant hack who unfortunately is the public face of the Bush Administration to the White House Press vultures each day.

For a brief shining moment we had Tony Snow proving that the GOP can find people with brains, class and style.

And then this Perino blonde comes along and suddenly the GOP goes back to Harriet Miers – Alberto Gonzalez mediocrity.

Thankfully, we have only a year left of this Bush travesty.

Always Right on December 10, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Frankly, these Press Secretaries trying to remain calm and amicable just seems like a waste of time when the press corps is as belligerent as I’ve ever seen it. I say give the contempt right back to them.

I want someone to rhetorically bitch slap them like a stand up comic would smack a heckler. David Gregory, you give retarded people a bad name, next question! Helen, you can’t possibly be that stupid… whoops, I guess you can.

trubble on December 10, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Tee hee.

peski on December 10, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Aw come on, anyone who can train their dog to fetch flip-flops when it hears “John Kerry” can’t be all that bad.

KelliD on December 10, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Sorry AP.. the babe-quotient does not forgive all sins.

Dude.

Allahpundit on December 10, 2007 at 3:33 PM

fogw on December 10, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Its not?

Romeo13 on December 10, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Blacksheep on December 10, 2007 at 3:28 PM

God help me, but I laughed at that, and i concur

RW Wacko on December 10, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Terrible PR by th Bush Admin…………..

Win Win Win on December 10, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Makes me wonder what she knows about the Cold War. Probably ‘nuttin.

LakeRuins on December 10, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Cold War – didn’t that have something to do with guys wearing big furry coats?

peski on December 10, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Only strike two in my book…The hottest Press Sec in 4eva still has my vote. ;-)

My wife is not up on the bay of pigs and still refers to it in the form of a Kevin Costner movie…so, not that big a deal. We all get old, if they can’t rememebr or were never told about it…get over it…happens to us all.

Brian on December 10, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Makes me wonder what she knows about the Cold War. Probably ‘nuttin.

LakeRuins on December 10, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Cold War – didn’t that have something to do with guys wearing big furry coats?

peski on December 10, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Ironic that the Cold War almost turned into a hot war in the Caribbean.

peski on December 10, 2007 at 3:36 PM

It’s not her fault she’s blond.

AlexB on December 10, 2007 at 3:36 PM

Proof positive, the world begins when you are born.

tarpon on December 10, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Has it been 100% proven that it’s actually Dana Perino’s voice on that tape?

SoulGlo on December 10, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it!
Or something like that. Well in the case of Dems it isn’t that they don’t remember but rather they keep repeating it, hence the definition of insanity.

LakeRuins on December 10, 2007 at 3:42 PM

The funny thing is that she still answered the question correctly. She has no idea what Putin was talking about, but took a wild stab that he was full of crap, and it turns out she was right. Guess its better to be lucky than good.

BohicaTwentyTwo on December 10, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Get a grip, people. When the next Cuban missile crisis-like event happens, we won’t be relying on Dana Perino for our response. She’s there to articulate the White House’s position on things, not be some Trivial Pursuit expert. She does a fine job at that.

jdpaz on December 10, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Blacksheep on December 10, 2007 at 3:28 PM

God help me, but I laughed at that, and i concur

RW Wacko on December 10, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Alas, love is blind. I would be glad to tutor her in American History…

ronsfi on December 10, 2007 at 3:45 PM

If she was a Democrat, she could just say it was a joke taken out of context.

abinitioadinfinitum on December 10, 2007 at 3:46 PM

What? This is not the Trivial Pursuit thread? Psst…I am out of here.

Brian on December 10, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Sigh…

Notice how the Bush Admin people are just getting worse and worse…

Dare I say… they belong in the Bush League?

Romeo13 on December 10, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Simply not acceptable, there may be situations where she has to deal with similar problemsand she should absolutely be knowledgeable about such major events in recent history, particularly the back-door maneuverings that made a CMC resolution even possible….

the worst part is that you will never ever get her to admit that she should have known about it… It’s the “I wasn’t even born yet” syndrome combined with the constant droning that our eductaors instill in young people “you are the greatest… you are the greatest…Nobody can tell you nuthin’, nobody can tell you nuthin.”
sheesh

max1 on December 10, 2007 at 3:46 PM

What’s that saying: “Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it” or something like that.

WildBillK on December 10, 2007 at 3:47 PM

C’mon everyone. It was a botched JOKE.

shooter on December 10, 2007 at 3:52 PM

The Cuban missile crisis?

Well, it involved Cuba. Oh, and missiles. And a crisis.

I can’t wait for her synopsis of the Vietnam war.

Well, it involved Vietnam ……………….

OhEssYouCowboys on December 10, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Meh- she’s just a press representative, not the Secretary of Defense.

Then again, she is married so I’m not sure the hotness factor redeems her. If she was single, then yeah- definitely.

Hollowpoint on December 10, 2007 at 3:54 PM

“I know they speak French there.”

/Too obscure?
//Pickler

ScottMcC on December 10, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Considering how much BS she has to worry about with Cuba, North Korea, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, and Hell, let’s just throw in the whole middle east to keep the list short, plus meaningless partisan assclownery, I think she’s allowed to make a gaffe about something that happened thirty years ago and isn’t really relevant to what is happening in the world today.

Also, she’s still hot.

Savage on December 10, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Personally, I believe, all Americans in the White House , wherever they are, should get history lessons, because, you know, they don’t know enough. About history.

Frozen Tex on December 10, 2007 at 3:56 PM

If this is in fact true – Dump her.

If it’s not true – shame on the web media for pushing this.

jake-the-goose on December 10, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Question before I finish off the last bone on the carcass that is Dana; how old is she? I rather suspect that most of those under 30 have no clue what the Cuban Missile Crisis was, thanks to the morass that is the education system.

That having been said, ignorance is not an excuse, especially for Republicans or press secretaries.

steveegg on December 10, 2007 at 3:57 PM

30? Really? That recently?

Frozen Tex on December 10, 2007 at 3:58 PM

It nearly knocks her down to “might have a reasonable chance with” levels.

If she did go to public school, that’s all the defense she’ll ever need right there: the “get out of tough questions free” card.

saint kansas on December 10, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Christ…

MadisonConservative on December 10, 2007 at 3:13 PM

I would expect the White House Press Secretary to know this, but now that I see she did not know this, I can see, in perspective, that it is not necessary to know it.

Why?

Because the Cuban misslce crisis took place in the early 1960s. I was alive then. I was around 10 or 11 years of age.

Many people alive today, even in positions in government, were born AFTER that event.

Many of them attended government operated public schools whose selective teaching includes Darwinism-evolutionism only theories of origins, US hate propaganda, white-man-as-devil-racist propaganda, homosexuals and lesbians are the salt of the earth and you are a nasty homophobe if you don’t embrace and advocate, Islam is a Religion of Peace, Love, Mercy, Compassion, Understanding, and Tolerance (and they love cute chicks, cute puppies, adorable kittens, and fluffy, cute bunnies), Mumia Abu Jamal is a victim of government racial-political persecution, also led by the “Pigs” of the Philadelphia Police Department who “set him up”, and similar selective, politically correct, mind numbing, brain washing type “information.”

Dana Perino appears to be a very bright, intelligent, classy women. She appears to do a very good job as Press Secretary. I won’t hold a small glitch like this against her, for it does not detract from her ability to do her job.

Furthermore, from now on she might actually know what the Cuban missile crisis is.

After all, doesn’t she STILL beat the “US wanted Japan to attack so we could get into war with Japan” theories, and “Bush lied; people died,” and “Bush knew and wanted 9/11 to LOOK like an attack, when it was a government conspiracy designed to get us into war” type conspiracy theories and the “Truthers” who spread this crap?.

William2006 on December 10, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Frozen Tex on December 10, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Nothing like Everyday Math to finish the job of stupifying America :-)

steveegg on December 10, 2007 at 4:08 PM

I don’t understand the “she’s just a press secretary” point of view. She’s the VOICE of a Presidential ADMINISTRATION. If you are ignorant of a major, historical event – how can you possibly continue as a press secretary? She’s been compromised. How can she possibly be taken seriously?

I guess that it’s only fitting that she’s a part of the Bush administration.

OhEssYouCowboys on December 10, 2007 at 4:09 PM

Question…how old is she?

She’s 35.

CP on December 10, 2007 at 4:10 PM

She’s been compromised. How can she possibly be taken seriously?

Fire will melt steel before she’ll be taken seriously again.

saint kansas on December 10, 2007 at 4:11 PM

On the plus side, if John Stewart’s piece on White House secretaries is true (The more Bush is in trouble, the more attractive his press secretary gets), Dana Perino can only be replaced by an even hotter babe.

Dana’s a looker though. Ann isn’t quite as attractive, but she would cause an almighty “WTF MATE?” with the media.

BKennedy on December 10, 2007 at 4:13 PM

She is a spokeswoman for the open borders president.
She was selected to speak for Bushie for a reason. Now you are getting a hint as to why she speaks for him. (Blond hair has nothing to do with this.)

Why would Dana even care about an event that threatened the United States during the Kennedy administration? Right now, on her boss’s watch, there is a free movement of drugs, weapons, terrorists (with nukes?), gangs, and illegals into our America.

Yes, she is beautiful. But, that’s about it. She is part of the open borders party.

saved on December 10, 2007 at 4:15 PM

She’s 35.

CP on December 10, 2007 at 4:10 PM

If only she weren’t already spoken for,… ;-)

Seriously, the “public school” defense isn’t going to fly; the Cuban Missile Crisis was still being touched on in high schools in the late 1980s. Maybe it wasn’t discussed very very well in most places, mind you, but I certainly knew about it. Then again, I’m an amateur student of history who had some good history teachers, so that might have skewed my perspective somewhat.

steveegg on December 10, 2007 at 4:15 PM

saved on December 10, 2007 at 4:15 PM

You say that as if there is a “closed borders” party. Other than Tancredo and Hunter, and probably Thompson, I don’t see one.

steveegg on December 10, 2007 at 4:20 PM

I move that the Miss Teen – South Carolina – be named the next press secretary.

I, personally, believe that I don’t have to know about anything. Such as. Oh, and the Cuban misslie crisis involved South Africa – and education – and Iraq. Such as.

OhEssYouCowboys on December 10, 2007 at 4:20 PM

I strongly think that most of you born before this happened care about it much more than those of us who didn’t. I was born in ’78 and only have a vague idea of what went on without looking on wikipedia or something. I don’t think it is a big deal that she didn’t know, given her age. Before looking it up all I can tell you is it is something about Russia putting missles on Cuba or something. Which is about the same amount of time this got covered in school.

Darksbane on December 10, 2007 at 4:23 PM

For men across the nation, Dana Perino has redefined the term Missile Crisis.

The Race Card on December 10, 2007 at 4:24 PM

Missile Crisis

The Race Card on December 10, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Blame the teacher’s unions. This is mostly the result of a total lack of education in our schools. Some will overcome it but mostly, if they don’t teach, you won’t learn it.

duff65 on December 10, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Yeah, but…

d1carter on December 10, 2007 at 4:27 PM

She’s 35.

CP on December 10, 2007 at 4:10 PM

And the grandmother of twins.

News2Use on December 10, 2007 at 4:27 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on December 10, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Ooh, that was even better than mine!

Seriously, that would be interesting. She’d be playing right up to most liberal’s BDS regarding brains in the White House.

Frozen Tex on December 10, 2007 at 4:27 PM

That’s a good point. If they go back to Fox News for her replacement I wouldn’t mind looking at Laurie Dhue at the podium, though some here seem to favor Julie Banderas. As long as we don’t have to look at Ari Fleischer again.

dedalus on December 10, 2007 at 4:33 PM

I don’t know what everyone is complaining about. This gaffe (they speak French there, right??) now brings her retirement, and subsequent appearance in Maxim, FHM, etc., even closer. Counting the days…

fred5678 on December 10, 2007 at 4:40 PM

It is probably the closest we came to blowing up much of the world. Perhaps she could have read up on it while prepping for her job interview, under the topic of “stuff my boss might have to deal with”.

dedalus on December 10, 2007 at 4:42 PM

dedalus on December 10, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Well, if he ends up with another guy the only one left is probably Fabio. I’d love to see him slap David Gregory around LOL.

BKennedy on December 10, 2007 at 4:42 PM

How I miss Tony Snow…sigh…

katieanne on December 10, 2007 at 4:44 PM

How hot and intelligent could her replacement be?

This ought to be fun!

Marilyn vos Savant is older, but holds the record for the highest IQ in recorded history, 228 in the Stanord-Binet system, and hence, is actually, the authentic “Smartest Women In the World” (Not Hillary, who is not really the “Smartest Woman In the World).

Of cousre, there could be other women around today with as bright a brain as Marilyn vos Savant, in which case she would be among the smartest women in the world (Hillary does not belong on that list).

Some of the women on Fox News Cable Channel are 1) Extremely intelligent, 2) Well educated, 3) Highly experienced, and 4) Eloquent in their speach-communication skills, 5) Truly beautiful-attractive.

Where does that leave us regarding a replacement for Dana Perino?

It means that there is hope.

There could be a woman out there who is 1) Well educated, 2) Has a very high IQ and is extremely intelligent, 3) Is an excellent public speaker and excellent dealing with the public and the press, 4) Very knowledgeable regarding matters of US government and history, politics and world affairs, and 5) Way up high above the atmosphere on the beauty/sexy/attractivenes/femininity scale.

She could also be legitimately fluent in several languages and scripts, such as Arabic, Farsi, Mandarin and Cantonese Chinese, Hindi, Punjabi, Spanish, Russian, Korean, just to name a few.

There IS hope!

William

William2006 on December 10, 2007 at 4:44 PM

BKennedy on December 10, 2007 at 4:42 PM

That is funny!

That would be fun!

William

William2006 on December 10, 2007 at 4:47 PM

William2006 on December 10, 2007 at 4:44 PM

I am not so sure. I heard with my own ears, Megyn Kendall ask the follwing question on air. “Fjord? What’s a Fjord?”
Careful what you wish for.

ronsfi on December 10, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Although, she is an Atomic Hottie!

ronsfi on December 10, 2007 at 5:02 PM

If they go back to Fox News for her replacement I wouldn’t mind looking at Laurie Dhue at the podium, though some here seem to favor Julie Banderas….

dedalus on December 10, 2007 at 4:33 PM

What, no love for Jane Skinner? Dammit, she’s married, and to the 3rd-most-powerful man in America too.

steveegg on December 10, 2007 at 5:04 PM

I just asked my dog if she knew anything about the Cuban missile crisis. After she put her book down [The Gulag Archipelago] and rolled her eyes – she woofed.

Can our next press secretary be a Sheltie/Border Collie mix?

OhEssYouCowboys on December 10, 2007 at 5:05 PM

I use an affirmative action technique.
I give Dana an extra 75 points just for being so wicked hot.

TheSitRep on December 10, 2007 at 5:08 PM

Wow. A cutie, and one who’ll watch football with you too.

dedalus on December 10, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Not a big issue. Babe quotient wins out over something like this every time, BIG time.

Vizzini on December 10, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Makes me wonder what she knows about the Cold War. Probably ‘nuttin.

LakeRuins on December 10, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Fought, no doubt, during the last ice age.

Will wonders never cease?!?!?!?

Talon on December 10, 2007 at 5:22 PM

Wasn’t Elisabeth Hasselbeck available?

Hilts on December 10, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Two relatively good looking dames, but both not very savvy (thought otherwise of Ms. Perino until this).

Good to see that many HA males are still healthy.

Frozen Tex on December 10, 2007 at 3:56 PM

FT, I like most of your comments. On this one, and this is not a defensive comment, just an observation – not “all Americans” are as naive as the rest of the world loves to portray them.

Entelechy on December 10, 2007 at 5:26 PM

Do we dare ask her “Who’s buried in Grant’s tomb?”

OhEssYouCowboys on December 10, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Entelechy on December 10, 2007 at 5:26 PM

That was a reference to Miss South Carolina. OhEssYouCowboys and I both seem to think she should be the next Press Secretary.

Frozen Tex on December 10, 2007 at 5:35 PM

Oh Lord, there may yet be a youtube spoof in here somewhere.. ‘LEAVE DANA ALONE!’

saus on December 10, 2007 at 5:49 PM

Frozen Tex, sorry that I didn’t catch that. I cought OEYC’s but didn’t connect the two of you…Must read more carefully :) Glad you’re on this board. Regards,

Entelechy on December 10, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Entelechy on December 10, 2007 at 5:52 PM

S’Okay, mine was easy to miss, since I forgot the “And such.”s. Nice to be appreciated.

Frozen Tex on December 10, 2007 at 5:54 PM

Allahpundit on December 10, 2007 at 3:17 PM

I dunno. Considering what’s running Congress right now, seems to me that she fits right in in that regard.

GT on December 10, 2007 at 6:01 PM