Video: Anti-amnesty all-stars reminisce about killing the Senate’s crappy immigration bill

posted at 8:10 pm on December 7, 2007 by Allahpundit

Seven minutes on the future of the conservative movement, of which that’s but one highlight. I floated this ticket five months ago. Five months later, they look better than ever.

We can make it happen, people. You and me.

Comments

This won’t look so awesome when President Obama and the Democratic congress pass a real amnesty bill.

Big S on December 7, 2007 at 8:12 PM

Man, that would be a great ticket. Sublog needs to update this then:)

Mr. I Won’t Be Intimidated by the American People is shuffling on to lobbyist work now, no? That said something right there.

Spirit of 1776 on December 7, 2007 at 8:15 PM

We have some good people representing us, and these are two of the very best!

centralcal on December 7, 2007 at 8:20 PM

The rules need to be changed so that 13 bills can not be amended into 1. If every single provision had its own up or down vote that would be half the battle to ending pork

Resolute on December 7, 2007 at 8:30 PM

Resolute on December 7, 2007 at 8:30 PM

I once toyed with the idea that all bills must be read aloud in congress, with a quorum present, by the originator.

Too many bills are a kajillion pages long, with upteen bills stuffed into it, with earmarks left, right & center…and the monkeys that vote for them have never read the damn thing…some staffer said yae or nae.

Forcing them to read it all aloud would at least disincentivize mammoth bills and ensure that a majority had actually heard the damn thing.

Ochlan on December 7, 2007 at 8:41 PM

Spirit of 1776 on December 7, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Heh. I forgot I created that.

Slublog on December 7, 2007 at 8:54 PM

We can make it happen, people. You and me.

I’m with you, Dude. The perfect conservative ticket.

I’m a little surprised, though. I didn’t know you supported Southerners.

BTW, I liked the comment about Voinovich.

jaime on December 7, 2007 at 8:55 PM

I can’t wait until SC has another Jim DeMint.

SouthernGent on December 7, 2007 at 9:14 PM

A couple of serious conservatives in the grand tradition of November 1994. Both of these guys have the cred that all of the current GOP candidates lack, although hardcore conservatives running for the nomination (see Keyes, Dornan, Buchanan and others) have to defend themselves full-time against both the MSM and their ‘compassionate’ rivals. In any case, I hope both Senators continue to enrage Harry Reid and pork-barrel addict Republicans for years to come.

fiatboomer on December 7, 2007 at 9:48 PM

AP endorses a southern ticket. Desperation indeed.

Valiant on December 7, 2007 at 10:24 PM

AP endorses a southern ticket. Desperation indeed.

Half of the Presidents since 1950 have been Southerners. How’s that GED working out for ya, pal?

fiatboomer on December 7, 2007 at 10:58 PM

I live on the West Coast, and I called Sessions’ office many times this past year to thank him for fighting against the amnesty bill (in addition to pounding on my 2 senators).

Also just got a ‘survey’ from the GOP, with a request for a donation. Sent them 3 Bush ‘pesos’.

Curiously, their poll asked my choice among: Brownback, Gilmore, Gingrich, Giuliani, Hagel (!), Huckabee, Hunter, McCain, Romney, Fred Thompson, and Tommy Thompson. No Paul!!

fred5678 on December 7, 2007 at 11:05 PM

These guys are the real deal. Articulate without the abrasiveness, and upbeat despite the odds. But with all the money, mud-slinging and media shenanigans that go into a presidential run nowadays, you have to wonder if we’ll ever again see men of this caliber running for the highest office. We’re better off with them remaining in the Senate, I think, as some small rays of hope and thorns in the side of that less-than-august body.

Nichevo on December 8, 2007 at 6:13 AM

It’s sad there are only two.

build the wall on December 8, 2007 at 7:47 AM

These are two of the best we have. My thought is that this clip was made to make DeMint a more familiar face. Perhaps someone is considering him for a running mate? I often wondered why there was never a push to get Sessions to run for POTUS. Not only is he the best and brightest, he seems to have staffers who are unequaled in their diligence.

Connie on December 8, 2007 at 9:27 AM

Thanks for posting such fine dialogue between honorable Senators.

Though the more things change, the more they stay the same is known, that does not eliminate another known quantity: demand requires supply. Americans need only voice and vote for conservatism and spite the billionaire financed campaigns.

We can get what we want by demand.

It is easier to get conservatism elected by banding together. That is PLATFORM. Utilize what is in hand, your own voice and your own vote to enhance and empower a conservative confluence. Do not allow the shallow to determine your future.

Hooplah aside, gather round the platform upon which your future relies.

The 21st Century with the internet of communication provides the opportunity NOW for America to shun the glittery fool’s gold of commercialism while demanding conservation of the Constitution rather than its destructive exploitation.

When the amnesty bill was foiled, it took our phone calls and correspondences to law makers, all of which were motivated by radio talk show hosts and blog masters. We conquered the MSM then, and have the ability to do so again should we UNITE in platform first, then candidate last.

maverick muse on December 8, 2007 at 10:33 AM

If the Republican nominee makes illegal immigration one of the top three issues for the election, I guarantee he will win. What this implies is that we need a nominee who will be very tough on illegal immmigrants…sorry Huck and Rudy.

davenp35 on December 8, 2007 at 11:49 AM

Listening to these 2 is like standing under a cool waterfall on a blazing hot day.
This country used to have a majority of clear-thinkers like these two.
Sad.