Tancredo: Why I won’t participate in the Spanish-language debate

posted at 6:00 pm on December 7, 2007 by Allahpundit

When he’s right, he’s right.

I declined the invitation to participate in the Spanish-language Republican presidential debate on Sunday because I do not want to endorse the further Balkanization of American political life…

I do not believe it is proper to appeal to the ‘‘Hispanic vote” or the “Asian vote” or the “Black vote.” I believe we must appeal only for American votes.

Any political debate is aimed at citizens. It is about issues of concern to the entire community, not a segment of the community. It is vital that all political debates and discussions take place in the public square, not in separate enclaves. Our democracy does not need different messages broadcast to different audiences in different languages that are not heard or understood by other groups.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What’s with all the PC stuff from Tancredo? Of course there are different messages for different races, what’s the big deal in saying that? I don’t know why he’s gone so soft all of the sudden.

Yea, don’t participate in the debate, but don’t claim that it’s cause there’s one America.

congsan on December 8, 2007 at 12:50 AM

If we bomb Mecca we will start a religious war and that could be the ugliest war we have ever see.

terryannonline on December 7, 2007 at 9:25 PM

Errrr … HUH?

What do you think we’re in right now? You don’t seriously believe all that nonsense about them hating us because we’re “in their business” do you?

Islam declared war on Christianity and all non-Muslims thousands of years ago. That war has never ended. We’re already fighting a religious war, like it or not.

Gregor on December 8, 2007 at 1:39 AM

Hell, I bet the Republicans have TV adds in Mexico saying vote Republican once you cross the border… THEY ARE SELLING US OUT!! Anyone in that debate will not get my vote!! I will not vote for or send money to any political party or person who is willing for power, to destroy the American way of life and culture!!

build the wall on December 8, 2007 at 8:01 AM

LegendHasIt on December 7, 2007 at 10:31 PM

Well said. I’m with you 100%.

MT on December 8, 2007 at 10:43 AM

So, In the end, we finally ascribe Tancredo not attending a Spanish-speaking event to.. Uh… promised/threatend Nuclear religious war with Islamists???
What a bunch of whackos.
No wonder it’s so easy for Libs to gain traction on issues when you have people like this defined as “conservative”.

KMC1 on December 8, 2007 at 1:24 PM

Islam declared war on Christianity and all non-Muslims thousands of years ago.

Gregor on December 8, 2007 at 1:39 AM

Hundreds maybe (Mo was born around 570 A.D.)

baldilocks on December 8, 2007 at 1:35 PM

KMC1 on December 8, 2007 at 1:24 PM

You have a knack for twisting things around to fit your own conclusions.

baldilocks on December 8, 2007 at 2:31 PM

I’m voting for Tanc in the primary. Probably the only candidate with real guts in this fight.

Buzzy on December 8, 2007 at 2:44 PM

If a Republican candidate says that we are in a religious war against Islam, the Dems win. We have to put our Constitutional principles ahead of religious hatred.

dedalus on December 8, 2007 at 2:53 PM

What a bunch of whackos.

KMC1 on December 8, 2007 at 1:24 PM

History shows that the “whackos” during the cold war were people like yourself laying down in front of trains and “whacking” nuclear silos with sledge hammers to protest our nuclear arsenal and stated MAD policy with our enemy.

FloatingRock on December 8, 2007 at 2:54 PM

I read a newspaper article a few years ago saying that the Saudis would return to tents in 2050 when the oil dried up. Not soon enough. The West needs to bankrupt OPEC, to smash it into a thousand pieces as soon as possible.

Good point.

dedalus on December 8, 2007 at 2:55 PM

dedalus on December 8, 2007 at 2:53 PM

I agree. Speaking for myself, when I referred to a holy war above at 9:48 (yesterday) I was referring to the perspective of the enemy.

FloatingRock on December 8, 2007 at 3:07 PM

I sure wish Tom was doing what Mike is right now.

Speakup on December 8, 2007 at 8:09 PM

FloatingRock on December 8, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Seriously, the people on HA give Conservative Intellectuals such as myself a bad, bad name.
Your prejudice and knee-jerk assumptions are a really terrible combination – well, if being anywhere close to accurate is your goal anyway…..

KMC1 on December 9, 2007 at 4:11 PM

KMC1 on December 9, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Oh dear, I’m so, so sorry to be giving elitist “Conservative Intellectuals” such as yourself a bad, bad name, KMC1. I should’ve known better than to speak my mind and express my opinion. In hindsight I wish that I would’ve shut up and allowed people like yourself, with your vastly superior intellect, to explain why, uh, conservatives during the cold war were WRONG to support MAD and appose unilateral disarmament.

Please enlighten us further and bless us with more of your superior intellect, KMC1. You’re such a genius.

What a shmuck!

FloatingRock on December 9, 2007 at 4:51 PM

KMC1 on December 9, 2007 at 4:11 PM

So can you provide a single example of my “prejudice”? Can you specify a single example of my “knee-jerk assumptions”? Can you provide any evidence at all that I’m inaccurate about anything?

As usual with superior intellectual types such as yourself, you forgot to actually win the debate before declaring victory.

Between the two of us you are the only one who has been jerking anything.

FloatingRock on December 9, 2007 at 5:24 PM