MSM asks candidates the tough questions: “What food do you hate?”

posted at 7:55 pm on December 6, 2007 by Bryan

For me, it would be an easy question to answer: Natto. Natto is a Japanese dish made from sticky, rotted beans that smells like feet and tastes even worse. The texture of said dish is beyond repulsive. I once had to sit between two people in a sushi bar who were both eating natto, the aroma of the dish forming a greenish cloud around my head. The experience left me with a medium case of PTSD for a few months.

So the candidates got asked that question. Most of the answers aren’t that interesting, but two are.

Hillary manages to make it creepy:

New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton: “I like nearly everything. “I don’t like, you know, things that are still alive.”

And Huckabee shows his nanny streak:

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee: “Carrots. I just don’t like carrots. I banned them from the governor’s mansion when I was governor of Arkansas because I could.”

“…because I could.” What is it with Arkansas governors and that particular phrase?

Comments

Natto!? Not-to my liking either, based on that snot wad of a pic. Good night!

Weight of Glory on December 6, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Hmmm…what food do I hate? I visited a few countries in South Asia earlier this year, and I know I’m not a big fan of “Snow Frog”…otherwise known as frog fallopian tubes.

It’s really more the texture than the taste.

flipflop on December 6, 2007 at 8:01 PM

Hillary kills those puppies before she eats them.

jaime on December 6, 2007 at 8:01 PM

Good Lord, is that a pic of this Natto stuff? *shudder*

infidel4life on December 6, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Worst thing I ever ate was “Scrapple”…that…I don’t know what it is, but it seemed to be big in Philly…you mix it up with eggs…Absolutely disgusting.

JetBoy on December 6, 2007 at 8:03 PM

For me it’s union rings. Not because I don’t like how they taste, but because when I bite into one, I always end up pulling out the spongy, segmented, translucent center. And that reminds me of tape worms.

Weight of Glory on December 6, 2007 at 8:03 PM

I’m afraid that pic is enough to put one off one’s dinner entire relationship with food.

eeyore on December 6, 2007 at 8:04 PM

Scroll to the bottom and it says:

NEXT: FAVORITE JOKES

I’d give my left, er, um, something, to hear a truthful answer (ok, could have stopped there) to “What is the most offensive joke you’ve ever heard?”

I’d happily listen to Hillary for 20 minutes if the last words she spoke were, “The Aristocrats!”

trubble on December 6, 2007 at 8:05 PM

Hillary Rodham Clinton: “I like nearly everything. “

Yup, that’s why she tries to tell everybody what they wanna hear.

Tony737 on December 6, 2007 at 8:05 PM

JetBoy are ya kiddin’? Scrapple rules! It’s made of all the stuff that ain’t good enough for hotdogs … I love it!

Tony737 on December 6, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Tony737 on December 6, 2007 at 8:07 PM

*ugh* Scrapple is the stuff swept off the slaughterhouse floor and pressed into a brick.

flipflop on December 6, 2007 at 8:13 PM

Scrapple is good. Sliced thin? Fried? Mmmm…

My least favorite food? Menudo – spicy tripe soup.

Blech.

Slublog on December 6, 2007 at 8:16 PM

JetBoy on December 6, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Aww…no scrapple for JetBoy? Oh well, more for us, we got lots of other tasty foods in Pennsylvania for you to try. Philly sucks BTW.

Bad Candy on December 6, 2007 at 8:19 PM

Flipper – “Scrapple is the stuff swept off the slaughterhouse floor and pressed into a brick.”

I know but it’s sooooo good! Slice it thin if ya like it crispy, slice it thick if ya wanna spread it on your toast … oh man, I’m droolin’! Fry an egg, add a slice of cheese, doesn’t get any better’n that!

Tony737 on December 6, 2007 at 8:22 PM

Cottage cheeeze. GROSS!

SouthernGent on December 6, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Dear gawd…to all you scrapple lovers, that stuff not only tastes gross, it smells like something scraped off a gas station rest room floor.

The first time I ate it was the last time I ate it. I couldn’t get past one bite. Ruin good eggs with that mystery food-like product.

JetBoy on December 6, 2007 at 8:24 PM

Candy – “…we got lots of other tasty foods in Pennsylvania for you to try. Philly sucks BTW.”

When it comes to food, Philly rules! Cheesesteaks, TastyKakes, the best pizza you ever ate!

I gave my buddy from Dallas a TastyKake, he said he’d NEVER eat a Little Debbie again. He cracks me up, he says “Once ya go Tasty, there is no other pastry.” hahaha

Tony737 on December 6, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Well let’s hope Hillary is the exception,
looks like Bill’s not on the menu,hehe;
Hey carrot’s are tasty,”because I could”,
shouldn’t that be “because I can”.
That picture looks like some of the goo
in the Alien movies,and if you wonder, what’s
up with Arkansa,it has a twin,it’s called
Newfoundland!(joking of course)

canopfor on December 6, 2007 at 8:27 PM

JetBoy on December 6, 2007 at 8:24 PM

Try and get, and no I’m not being ironic here, a good quality scrapple, cut it really thin, flour it lightly, then pan fry it and eat it separate. You might not find it so repulsive.

Bad Candy on December 6, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Tony737 on December 6, 2007 at 8:27 PM

I’ll give Philly the cheesesteaks…but the best pizza is a NYC pizza. Bar none!

JetBoy on December 6, 2007 at 8:29 PM

Tony737 on December 6, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Honestly, the food is the only redeeming feature of Philly. I’d still sell it to Jersey.

Bad Candy on December 6, 2007 at 8:29 PM

Try and get, and no I’m not being ironic here, a good quality scrapple…

Bad Candy on December 6, 2007 at 8:28 PM

There’s such a thing as “good quality” scrapple? I never see scrapple around me…in NYC where I work or Conn. where I live. But I think I would heave if I even smelled that stuff again.

JetBoy on December 6, 2007 at 8:32 PM

JetBoy on December 6, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Well, should you be in PA again.

Bad Candy on December 6, 2007 at 8:38 PM

In Steve, Don’t Eat It! Vol. 6, Steve talks his experience with eating Natto.

Profanity warning.

askheaves on December 6, 2007 at 8:41 PM

Candy – “…the food is the only redeeming feature of Philly.”

C’mon, how ’bout the history? I mean, sure it’s got its dumpy areas now, but what city doesn’t? They have Independance Hall, the Liberty Bell, Society Hill, Penn’s Landing, Valley Forge, the townhomes built in the 1700s, etc etc. Then they have the sports fans that boo Santa Claus and have a judge inside the football stadium to prosecute offenders … ok, well that’s not a good thing. haha

Tony737 on December 6, 2007 at 8:43 PM

whew thought she was going to trip and have a really bad accident..

amend2 on December 6, 2007 at 8:47 PM

I greatly dislike Boston Baked Beans. Seriously, they look like crap and taste like rotten potatoes.

Otherwise I’m up for almost anything.

BKennedy on December 6, 2007 at 8:49 PM

My least favorite food? Menudo – spicy tripe soup.

Blech.

Slublog on December 6, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Seriously?

One of my favorite foods EVER! I know…no one likes tripe. But I love the stuff. I try to make it myself, and don’t do half bad (for a white guy), but my wife hates the smell so much she has banned it from out kitchen forever.

She just doesn’t get it.

nailinmyeye on December 6, 2007 at 8:51 PM

Another light post, it’s so welcome, Bryan.

Bill Richardson, recalling the first President Bush’s distaste for broccoli, he said: “I sympathize with that fully.”

Fred: “…we kind of have a diet around our house that if it tastes good, you don’t eat it.”

Cute!

RushBaby: Creamed Corn.

RushBaby on December 6, 2007 at 8:51 PM

Tony737 on December 6, 2007 at 8:43 PM

Philly is mostly a dump, I’ve been through twice, and it was two times too many. Its just a crime-ridden hellhole, not to mention the leftist death grip it has on the rest of the state. And I’m a d00d BTW.

Bad Candy on December 6, 2007 at 8:53 PM

JetBoy – “…the best pizza is a NYC pizza…”

I could debate that with ya, but it’s basically the same as Philly pizza. One thing I think we can agree one is that either of ‘em are WAY better than Chicago pizza!

Tony737 on December 6, 2007 at 8:53 PM

Stuffed Bell Peppers.

Traumatized as a child, won’t even look at them now.

nailinmyeye on December 6, 2007 at 8:54 PM

nailinmyeye on December 6, 2007 at 8:51 PM

Along with sushi, menudo is in my top 10 as well. Preparing the tripe is the key – incredibly labor-intensive. If you get a bad menudo, you’re guaranteed to hate it for life. Get a good menudo, you’ll crave the taste of it ever after.

RushBaby on December 6, 2007 at 8:54 PM

Scrapple is good eating, unless the processor threw the eyeballs in.

Kimchi is way down the list. Got -lost- in Korean mountains and wound up at a Turkish base just about a half mile from the DMZ. They offered some kimchi from their big crock and perhaps it was spoiled, but is sure was rotten.

News2Use on December 6, 2007 at 8:56 PM

Get a good menudo, you’ll crave the taste of it ever after.

There’s no such thing!

But I do like sushi.

Slublog on December 6, 2007 at 8:56 PM

MSM: Considering the great problems the next president will face, what…Oh look, a squirrel!!

The “fourth estate” apparently has contracted Alzheimer’s….

landlines on December 6, 2007 at 8:56 PM

Preparing the tripe is the key – incredibly labor-intensive.

When I’ve cooked it, I’ve had to boil the tripe overnight, getting up about every hour to stir it. It smells like crap. But the finished product is amazing – from someone who does it right.

Mine is…alright for me. I’d be afraid to share it with my hispanic friends.

nailinmyeye on December 6, 2007 at 8:57 PM

As for the candidate lists, I agree with Giuliani and Huckabee. Liver and carrots are evil.

Slublog on December 6, 2007 at 8:57 PM

Sweet potatoes. They look like orange turds. (If it looks funny, I’m not eating it.)

baldilocks on December 6, 2007 at 8:58 PM

News2Use on December 6, 2007 at 8:56 PM

My mom made a delectable kimchi but my dad always told how in Korea it was actually fermented in pits underground.

RushBaby on December 6, 2007 at 8:58 PM

lan astaslem on December 6, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Tony737 on December 6, 2007 at 8:53 PM

Agreed! Chi-town pizza is too doughy. But then, as the saying goes: Pizza is like sex…even when it’s bad, it’s still pretty good.

And it’s not a pizza when people put things like pineapple and ham on it…I’d almost rather have the scrapple.

JetBoy on December 6, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Bad –

“Its just a crime-ridden hellhole, not to mention the leftist death grip…”

Yeah, sad but true, most parts of it have become that way. But downtown is great. The hotel my airline puts us up in is right there in the middle of everything and it’s awesome. Lots of things to do, places to go, things to see. There’s a Mom n’ Pop deli or bakery or hoagie/steak shop on every corner, great food, great prices and generous sizes. But go to certain areas and you’ll never be heard from again, hence the name “Killadelphia”.

Tony737 on December 6, 2007 at 9:00 PM

baldilocks on December 6, 2007 at 8:58 PM

A challengable statement! I’ll bet you have a giant sweet tooth…and wouldn’t pass on some might funny-looking cupcakes! Am I wrong?

RushBaby on December 6, 2007 at 9:01 PM

Stuffed Bell Peppers.

Traumatized as a child, won’t even look at them now.

nailinmyeye on December 6, 2007 at 8:54 PM

BLASPHEMY!

Hamburger/Tomato/Rice Stuffed Green Peppers are one of my favorites.

On another note, I enjoy eating things that were recently alive… such as lobsters.

BKennedy on December 6, 2007 at 9:17 PM

Despite spending four years in Japan and eating almost creature that lives underwater, I couldn’t even stand to watch people eat natto, and the smell would get to me from across a room.

Most Japanese I met more than once would ask me if I liked natto. After my immediate “No” they’d remind me, “but natto is GOOD for you!”

Eventually I learned to say, “How can it be good for me when I can’t eat it?”

fiatboomer on December 6, 2007 at 9:20 PM

Make that almost every creature that lives underwater. Ack.

fiatboomer on December 6, 2007 at 9:21 PM

RushBaby on December 6, 2007 at 9:01 PM

Not if they have raisins.

baldilocks on December 6, 2007 at 9:33 PM

trubble on December 6, 2007 at 8:05 PM

With a Drew Carey like flourish at the end. Gold, Jerry. Gold!

PowWow on December 6, 2007 at 9:36 PM

Cauliflower and Shark

Defector01 on December 6, 2007 at 9:44 PM

Heck, I dislike many more things than I like, much to the dismay of my sainted mother. Didn’t like ‘em then, don’t like ‘em now.

I could never be a head of state, because at one of those fancy dinners when they’re serving haute cuisine I’d be asking for a In n Out burger, fries, and a diet Coke.

I’m a really cheap date, though.

Bob's Kid on December 6, 2007 at 9:50 PM

Oh, and regarding TastyKakes…had someone send me some from Georgia a couple of years ago…and they were…okay. Failed to see what was so special about ‘em.

At least when compared to anything else. Different, but not better.

Bob's Kid on December 6, 2007 at 9:56 PM

Kimchi. And chitlins.

BacaDog on December 6, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Turnips. There should be prisons for turnip growers. Transportation across State lines, 20 years. Turnip images should be scrubbed from all public library and school books.

Limerick on December 6, 2007 at 10:07 PM

I love scrapple. You do not mix it with eggs! It goes with eggs and is best thin and crispy on outside and soft on inside!

JellyToast on December 6, 2007 at 10:09 PM

I hate snails! And any other thing you find under a rock!

JellyToast on December 6, 2007 at 10:11 PM

I hate snails! And any other thing you find under a rock!

JellyToast on December 6, 2007 at 10:11 PM

Shrimp, lobster and crab too?

baldilocks on December 6, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Not if they have raisins.

baldilocks on December 6, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Sweet potatoes remind you of, well, what you said, and raisins don’t remind you of rabbit droppings?

RushBaby on December 6, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Cauliflour

hinduconservative on December 6, 2007 at 10:36 PM

Awww man! Y’all are makin’ my mouth water. I love scrapple, but I think some of you are getting it mixed up with what we called souse and what the Yankees call head cheese. I also love fried pork brains and eggs….yummm. I betcha they’d go good with some scrapple. Ummm, and mountain oysters now you’re talkin’. I would never eat a balut though. I had buddies that loved them but I just couldn’t drink enough San Miguel to get past the smell.

Oldnuke on December 6, 2007 at 10:46 PM

My wife is from Osaka so I know Natto..fortunately only Tokyo people like Natto! Bring on the takoyaki!!!!!!

Dirthead on December 6, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Sheeps eyeballs.

Who wants your dinner looking at you the whole time?

(“Natto” looks like the fetal stage of a Predator.)

profitsbeard on December 6, 2007 at 11:46 PM

Any food from Ghirardelli Square.

Limerick on December 6, 2007 at 11:50 PM

IF we’re talking about stinky foods, now would be the time to bring up durians!

Hannibal Smith on December 7, 2007 at 12:05 AM

Loco Moco – two scoops rice on the bottom of a bowl topped with cooked hamburger patty and a fried egg sunny side up covered with brown gravy.

And Spam on the side! @

Kini on December 7, 2007 at 12:16 AM

I absolutely hate mushrooms and olives. And for a time, I avoided ice cream too, because I once got so sick from eating it.

mram on December 7, 2007 at 2:48 AM

There used to be this Candid Camera like TV show in Japan were they would meet foreigners just arriving at Narita airport and ask them to eat certain Japanese foods. The crew would film their reactions, which were often hilarious.
The favorite foods (as I recall) to feed the happless victims:
Natto: fermented soybeans, as in the photo for this thread.
Umeboshi: Pickled plums
Unagi: barbecued eel (actually many liked this one)
Uni: raw or sometimes living sea urchins
Tsukemono: various types of pickled vegetables
Hachinoko: mashed pickled baby bees (not sure if I remember this one or not- it seems like a natural but this is a regional food not common in Tokyo, so I’m not sure).

Herikutsu on December 7, 2007 at 3:08 AM

Uni: raw or sometimes living sea urchins

Ono!

Kini on December 7, 2007 at 3:32 AM

Hachinoko: mashed pickled baby bees

Who in the entire world would even think that this would be a good idea to prepare and eat?

nailinmyeye on December 7, 2007 at 7:16 AM

Yow! I’m agreeing with Hillary, but only because you mentioned natto, which reminded me of Japanese food, which reminded me of my most unpleasant encounter with some soup. Actually, it wasn’t the soup, but the still-writhing octopus tentacles (watching the host chop them off and toss them in right at the table didn’t bother me nearly as much as that we were expected to eat them while they were still alive). The Japanese have trouble with the concept of “fresh,” which does not include “alive.”

Narsty.

rightwingprof on December 7, 2007 at 7:25 AM

Sissies.

Natto alone is so-so. Negi-hama natto is pretty good. It tastes better than it smells.

Good uni is to die for.

drjohn on December 7, 2007 at 7:49 AM

Eggs. God I hate eggs!! Especially hard boiled, soft boiled or deviled eggs. Nasty embryo paste!

Ellen on December 7, 2007 at 8:02 AM

Bad Candy on December 6, 2007 at 8:29 PM

What exit?

N. O'Brain on December 7, 2007 at 8:35 AM

Lifelong dislike, ’cause I HAD to eat them when I was a kid, and the texture……ugh:

Lima Beans.

N. O'Brain on December 7, 2007 at 8:44 AM

Like I mentioned when this was in Headlines, Hillary’s line reminded me of the “chowing down a live octopus” scene from Oldboy … handily online for your viewing please (with crappy dubbing)!

Worst thing I ever tasted: liquid magnesium.
Only beer I couldn’t finish: Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic.

saint kansas on December 7, 2007 at 10:15 AM

Correction: I meant liquid manganese.

In case you were going to run out for some.

saint kansas on December 7, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Food and me, we go way back. There isn’t much of anything I won’t try or don’t like, but I hear you, Natto is disgusting. They love to gross out the gaijin with that crap.

moc23 on December 7, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Sushi. Anything that’s not cooked doesn’t get eaten. Got salmanilla from undercooked chicken once and it was the worst night of my life. I can’t bring myself to eat anything raw ever again.

Squash, turnup, beets – taste like dirt.

Cottage cheese – milk gone bad and put into a different container. My wife doesn’t understand my revusion, though.

Pea soup. Makes the whole house neighborhood smell like old sneakers.

And sprouts of any kind make me gag.

Other than that, I’m a pretty healthy eater. And I agree – things like pineapple have no business on a pizza.

crazy_legs on December 7, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Hachinoko: mashed pickled baby bees

nailinmyeye on December 7, 2007 at 7:16 AM

As a beekeeper I can see it. Bee larvae before they emerge from the cell are soft and white. Look and feel nothing at all like their grown up counterparts. I have never eaten them, but bears do. Most people think bears go after honey, but really they are after the protein rich larvae.

thomashton on December 7, 2007 at 11:35 AM

Oh, and by the way, mine would be holodetz. Had this in Ukraine a couple times while living there.

Get a soup bone with a joint. Boil it. Put a bunch of shredded meat in the bottom of a bowl. Pour the meat bone soup water on top of it. When cooled the water will make a natural gelatin and harden up. There you have it, cold bone flavoured joint jello with shredded meat. Terrible.

I could even stand the blood sausage (made poorly with grissle, hair, and bone flakes in it), more than holodetz.

Next time we’ll talk sala (thickly sliced bacon fat with all meat removed eaten raw).

thomashton on December 7, 2007 at 11:41 AM

New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton: “I like nearly everything. “I don’t like, you know, Freedom Fries!“
lan astaslem on December 6, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Hey! I don’t know who the heck you are — but you are NOT ME. AP, I thought that this was fixed a while back. Can we do something about this poser? Thank you!

lan astaslem on December 7, 2007 at 1:36 PM

I’m surprised Huckabee doesn’t like carrots. He’s lost lot’s of weight you know, and carrots are good for you, and Huckabee probably would want you eat carrots because they’re good for you and he knows what’s good for you better than you do, because he lost lot’s of weight.

LtE126 on December 7, 2007 at 1:52 PM

If only Hillary were more open-minded, her husband might have avoided all those scandals. Oh come on!

doufree on December 7, 2007 at 3:03 PM