Mark Krikorian: Huckabee’s Krikorian-derived immigration plan rocks; Update: “INS”? Update: A power that is “not human” is fueling my rise, says Huck

posted at 2:22 pm on December 6, 2007 by Allahpundit

As promised this morning. There were two ways Krikorian could have gone on this: High-fiving him or appearing from behind a movie poster, a la Marshall McLuhan in Annie Hall, and telling him “you know nothing of my work.” Result: High-five.

Huckabee has a new immigration plan out, and it’s way, way better than anyone would have expected from him. Full disclosure: though I had nothing to do with preparing it, he acknowledges that it’s partly modeled on a May 23, 2005 NR cover story I wrote. On illegal immigration, the most important elements are: universal verification of the legal status of new hires and cooperation with Social Security and IRS to prevent the use of fake or stolen identity information; systematic cooperation between local, state, and federal law enforcement authorities; full implementation of the check-in/check-out system (US-VISIT) at the borders; and rejection of Mexico’s illegal-alien ID card, known as the matricula consular. But even on legal immigration, it represents progress, calling for the elimination of the egregious visa lottery and the preference category for adult siblings of American citizens. I’d eliminate more categories that that myself, and I’m not sure what the specifics are behind “Increase visas for highly-skilled and highly-educated applicants”, but this is a big deal if Huckabee actually campaigns on this.

In a separate post, Krikorian notices HA commenters’ skepticism about the plan and reminds us that we should always be happy to accept converts. Fair enough — but is he a true convert who can be counted on in office or is this an electoral gambit aimed at the base? Read Rich Lowry’s column about Huck’s conversion to the Fair Tax, another ideological awakening that conveniently gave him loads of political cover with conservatives skeptical of his previous policies (and not a few like-minded activists in Iowa). A guy who supported Bush’s comprehensive immigration reform plan in 2006 on grounds that it wasn’t an amnesty and that it would be “nativist” to do otherwise, and who famously backed tuition breaks for illegal aliens if they resided in Arkansas for three years, is now cribbing from the Center for Immigration Studies?

Note also that of the top 25 or so priorities listed in Huck’s bullet points, which presumably indicate our top priorities nationally on immigration, one of them is to “[f]ully support all law enforcement personnel tasked with enforcing immigration law.” That sounds suspiciously like a nod at the Ramos and Compean saga, an issue that plays magnificently with the GOP base but isn’t some kind of monster policy problem like workplace verification that would otherwise end up in a paper like this. Tellingly, it doesn’t factor in the article by Krikorian that Huck’s plan is based on, either. By contrast, here’s what Fred offered by way of enforcement:

1. Doubling ICE agents handling interior enforcement, increasing the Border Patrol to at least 25,000 agents, and increasing detention space to incarcerate illegal aliens we arrest rather than letting them go with a promise to show up later for legal proceedings against them.

2. Adding resources for the Department of Justice to prosecute alien smugglers, people involved in trafficking in false identification documents, and previously deported felons.

3. Maximizing efforts to prosecute and convict members of criminal alien gangs, such as MS-13 and affiliated gangs. These gangs have brought unusual levels of violence to more than 30 U.S. states and have also become very active in drug-smuggling, gun-smuggling, and alien-smuggling.

4. Implementing fully and making greater use of the expedited removal process already allowed under federal law.

Nothing about “supporting” our border patrol agents, which should go without saying unless they’ve been duly convicted of, say, shooting unarmed smugglers.

Read the plan for yourself if you haven’t yet. The section on enforcement against employers is especially red-meatish. Again, the question is whether Huck is so committed to this idea that he’d be willing to go the mat and veto an immigration plan that would emerge from not only what’s sure to be a Democratic Congress but which may well be even more Democratic than it is now. He’s looking for these votes in the primary, but what about these in the general? Is he going to move back to the center next summer?

Ace has been begging Rudy for months to abandon some of his socially liberal positions and tack right until he can’t tack no more to make himself more viable to the base. Huck’s doing that now on immigration. What do you think, buddy? Comforted?

Exit question: What will MM say?

Update: Wow. I can’t believe I didn’t notice. And I really can’t believe Huck’s people — and Mark Krikorian — didn’t notice either. Like Lonewacko says, “I’m going to guess that whoever drew this up didn’t really know what they’re talking about.”

Update: Yeah, listen, nothing personal. I’m sure he’s a good guy and has only the best intentions. But this is where I get off.

Update: Huck’s research director e-mails to say the “INS” error was his mistake.

Comments

Saying it and having it implemented are two different things. Plus getting nominated AND elected would help!

countywolf on December 6, 2007 at 2:27 PM

If the plan is that good on its merits, we can implement it when we elect someone who is better for the job.

James on December 6, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Gomer is going to be mean to “God’s Children” ???

Shaaazzzaammm and Goo-ooo-llleee.

stenwin77 on December 6, 2007 at 2:32 PM

What the Huck?

Hah! I was wondering how one’s soul could change so much so quickly.

NTWR on December 6, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Hey, if your going to have a religious race, have a religioius race!

bnelson44 on December 6, 2007 at 2:36 PM

If Allah want’s a huge post…. look at Gerghaty right now–Huck is literally saying that he is God’s candidate, because only God could drive up his polls like this or something.

Vanceone on December 6, 2007 at 2:37 PM

I’ll be generous and offer a pass on the INS thing. The agency has been called that for so long it’s almost a colloquialism.

Now it’s called ICE, which is about as handlebar-mustache-gay-cop lame as it gets.

Ochlan on December 6, 2007 at 2:37 PM

When I first saw that on the Campaignspot, I thought to myself, Allah is not going to like this.

Complete7 on December 6, 2007 at 2:38 PM

Dang, Allah’s good– I posted my post above…. just as Allah was doing exactly what I suggested. No hat tip for me!

Good work, AllahPundit!

Vanceone on December 6, 2007 at 2:38 PM

Woopsies!

df4jc on December 6, 2007 at 2:40 PM

A power that is “not human” is fueling my rise

I feel that way some mornings

Ochlan on December 6, 2007 at 2:42 PM

Nicely written article, AP. Even a little humor.

tack right until he can’t tack no more

jaime on December 6, 2007 at 2:42 PM

Update: A power that is “not human” is fueling my rise

I dont know about Huck but I do have to ask Dana Carvey’s “Church Lady” who is behind Hillary’s Poll numbers

Could it be ??

William Amos on December 6, 2007 at 2:43 PM

The Huckster makes me contemplate; just how bad could Billary be?

Griz on December 6, 2007 at 2:43 PM

A power that is “not human” is fueling my rise, says Huck

What, aliens? Oh, wait, that would be the Kucinich/Paul Axis of Nutjobs. My bad.

Who will Huck blame when he falls, I wonder?

ReubenJCogburn on December 6, 2007 at 2:43 PM

STUDENT: Recent polls show you surging… What do you attribute this surge to?

HUCKABEE: There’s only one explanation for it, and it’s not a human one.

Therefore, its an alien one. As in people not knowing your true stance on illegal immugration.

Valiant on December 6, 2007 at 2:47 PM

If Huck keeps talking crazy sh*t like this, maybe the Mormon-bashers on this thread will start to realize the guy in their camp is the REAL wacky religious nutball. Mitt’s just a poseur compared to Huck.

RW Wacko on December 6, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Valiant on December 6, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Maybe he’s coming out as a Scientologist?

RW Wacko on December 6, 2007 at 2:48 PM

There’s only one explanation for it, and it’s not a human one. It’s the same power that helped a little boy with two fish and five loaves feed a crowd of five thousand people.

Chuck Norris was Jesus’ assistant? Who knew!

Does that mean you might vote in the primary after all?

calbear on December 6, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Jesus loves me Huck this I know, because the bible tells me so?

…just how bad could Billary be

Perhaps not as bad as Silky Pony, but let’s hope we never have to find out.

Defense Guy on December 6, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Update: A power that is “not human” is fueling my rise, says Huck

Well, Satan does in fact fit that description.

BKennedy on December 6, 2007 at 2:52 PM

The more I think about it, the more I think that was Huck’s version of the Dean scream. Stick a fork in him, he’s done.

ReubenJCogburn on December 6, 2007 at 2:54 PM

A power that is “not human” is fueling my rise

I think he’s referring to all the publicity the Allah-bot has been stirring up here.

saint kansas on December 6, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Extremely off-putting. He basically just claimed that he is God’s Chosen One. How incredibly arrogant!

aero on December 6, 2007 at 2:58 PM

I don’t particularly like Huckabee for his liberal leanings on many things. However, I HOPE that the media and the RINO’s in Yankee states get the message about the REPUBLICAN party.

Six months ago everyone was saying ‘we don’t need the Conservative Christian vote – we’re Republicans’. I hope that everyone (generally Rudy supporters) gets the picture now that you won’t win as a Republican by snubbing the Conservative Christian base.

All those articles about the death of the ‘religious right’ were greatly exaggerated. The ONLY reason Huckabee is doing good is because of the ‘religious right’. He’s as much of a RINO as Rudy, but he’s pro-gun, pro-life, and I’m not certain, but I believe he has always been a Republican.

So all you pundits that declared no need to court the Conservative Christian voters in the South, I have one thing to say to you. . . ‘THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN! AND IT HAS!’

ThackerAgency on December 6, 2007 at 2:58 PM

Wow indeed on the INS/ICE issue. If Huckabee’s conversion were not quite so recent, you could pass this off as a simple mistake. As it is, though, it makes the Huckabee plan look like a quickly dashed-off cut and paste effort instead of a substantive policy suggestion.

Slublog on December 6, 2007 at 2:58 PM

Stick a fork in him, he’s done.

I’ve heard that a 2-3 times over the last few days, though not from you. Hope you are right. That SC Rasumssen poll scared the pants off of me. If Huck wins Iowa, Mitt wins NH, Huck wins SC, that makes Florida a must win for Rudy. I wanna see the polls for Florida. If Rudy wins Florida, man that is some race.

RW Wacko on December 6, 2007 at 2:59 PM

The ONLY reason Huckabee is doing good is because of the ‘religious right’.

That doesn’t exactly speak well of the religious right.

Slublog on December 6, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Ummm, where’s the tough talk to go with the walk? This is just, backwards.
That fireside chat with Chuck vid was just rhyme a digm, the same as any other candidate.
Huck is chasing the enforcement wagon running backwards and jumping on butt first.
Whatever happened to his soul wouldn’t let him?

After the flak Mitt has received from his speech this morning in which he dared to include religion imagine the hell raised if campaign funds are miraclized.

Speakup on December 6, 2007 at 3:03 PM

RW Wacko on December 6, 2007 at 2:59 PM

Obviously all the negative attention to his record the past couple days is going to hurt and continue to hurt, but I just think that statement alone is going to alienate everybody of every political persuasion. Religious types–the ones he’s been pandering so hard to–will be turned off by the arrogance, and everybody else will just think he’s a nut for basically claiming to be God’s Chosen One. I’ll be amazed if it doesn’t become a club to beat Huck with–it’s already getting a good start right here.

ReubenJCogburn on December 6, 2007 at 3:07 PM

That doesn’t exactly speak well of the religious right.

Slublog on December 6, 2007 at 3:03 PM

…or more to the point, of Huck.

James on December 6, 2007 at 3:08 PM

OK fine, but who then is the Flying Spaghetti Monster’s chosen candidate? Ron Paul?

…in nominae pasta, es spaghetti-o sanctum…Ramen.

James on December 6, 2007 at 3:11 PM

What is new about this?

Hucksterocchio has had this, where he sounds more like Tom Tancredo than Tom Tancredo sounds like Tom Tancredo on his web site for weeks.

Huckabee on illegal “immigration” from his web site

but
this is his “soul” as already clearly revealed:

“Immigration bill un-Christian, anti-life, governor says Friday, Jan
28, 2005
By Doug Thompson
Arkansas News Bureau
LITTLE ROCK – Gov. Mike [Tysons Foods] Huckabee Thursday denounced a bill by Sen. Jim Holt that would deny state benefits to illegal immigrants as un-Christian, un-American, irresponsible and anti-life.”

You can not reconcile the two. No way, no how. It can not be done!

The man is a pathological lier.

MB4 on December 6, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Ochlan on December 6, 2007 at 2:37 PM

Oh yeah? Just don’t tell this guy….

ScottG on December 6, 2007 at 3:14 PM

I prefer my televangelists on low power television, not the White House.

Huckabee still hates vouchers.
Huckabee still has a tax problem.
Huckabee is still from Hope, Arkansas.

gabriel sutherland on December 6, 2007 at 3:18 PM

By the way, one should take note of the clear contrast in the methods Mitt and Huck use religion.

Mitt delivers a brief but inspiring speech on religious freedom and religious liberty while refusing to back away from his core beliefs.

Huck says that God (one can only assume) is pushing his poll numbers up.

The contrast could not be more stark.

BKennedy on December 6, 2007 at 3:19 PM

“A power that is “not human” is fueling my rise, says Huck”

Only a conspiracy of sinners could deny him the nomination now.

Dusty on December 6, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Oh yeah? Just don’t tell this guy….

ScottG on December 6, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Heh. Dino was awesome–a man who could manage to have one hand on a smoke, one hand on a drink, and one hand on a buxom filly (as he might say) all at the same time.

Only a conspiracy of sinners could deny him the nomination now.

Dusty on December 6, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Count me in!

ReubenJCogburn on December 6, 2007 at 3:21 PM

A power that is “not human” is fueling my rise

Just the other day I was saying, (with Rudy and Huck, Clinton and Obama leading the race, along with Coocooniche and Ron Paul running), that aliens are taking over the planet, but I never expected that the Huckster would provide confirmation…

FloatingRock on December 6, 2007 at 3:26 PM

The only good that The High Reverend Hucksterocchio has done, as far as I am concerned, is that he is such a lying POS, that he just might make it so that I could vote for Rudy over Hillary.

MB4 on December 6, 2007 at 3:27 PM

I knew he was being manipulated by our Reptilian Overlords.

Will he succeed where Kookcinich failed? Booowwwaaahahahahaha!

ronsfi on December 6, 2007 at 3:31 PM

MB4 on December 6, 2007 at 3:27 PM

????

It’s like I don’t know you anymore…

Slublog on December 6, 2007 at 3:32 PM

“Wow. I can’t believe I didn’t notice.”

It will be a double wow on the level of an I35 when changes the name back to INS in 2009.

Dusty on December 6, 2007 at 3:32 PM

whoops “… when Huck changes ….”

Dusty on December 6, 2007 at 3:33 PM

It’s like I don’t know you anymore…

Slublog on December 6, 2007 at 3:32 PM

I am but a simple man with simple pleasures.

MB4 on December 6, 2007 at 3:35 PM

I am but a simple man with simple pleasures.

MB4 on December 6, 2007 at 3:35 PM

The other explanation is that the power of Christ compelled you.

Far, Far away from Huckabee.

BKennedy on December 6, 2007 at 3:40 PM

ReubenJCogburn on December 6, 2007 at 3:07 PM

I hope you’re right. If this guy wins the nomination, it will bring every anti-Christianist kook out to oppose him, big-time. It’ll be really ugly, and Hillary won’t have to say a word, until her victory speech, that is. I’m a Christian, and all I have to say is “Blecchh!”

Nichevo on December 6, 2007 at 3:43 PM

The worst part about all this?

Ryan Sager is probably laughing his tail off.

Slublog on December 6, 2007 at 3:43 PM

I like what I see. Of course, it’s a political conversion, not one from the heart. But that is better than him thumbing his nose at us.

Now, any chance that McCain and Giuliani will come around?

flenser on December 6, 2007 at 3:50 PM

I read one of his books once, and Ryan Sager did not strike me as being much of a libertarian. Not unless the word now means nothing more than “anti-religious”.

flenser on December 6, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Huck says that God (one can only assume) is pushing his poll numbers up.

The contrast could not be more stark.

BKennedy on December 6, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Bingo. That should be the narrative of the day. Huckabee’s smarmy in-your-face piousness is radioactive.

Cuffy Meigs on December 6, 2007 at 4:00 PM

A power that is “not human” is fueling my rise..

This is where it gets really scary. What would be happening right now if these words had of come out of the mouth of a Jew or a Muslim?

ChrisM on December 6, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Mark K if your reading again, let me repeat:

Problems with this plan.

Point 1:
“interlocking surveillance camera” – Part of “virtual fence. Security system has already proven it doesn’t work and was a big scam.

“the border fence construction” – the “partial border fence. Refer to the first comment about surveillance. Border fence will only cover parts of the border.

Point 2:
“Increase the number of border patrol agents” – behind desks and doing administrative tasks like trying to fix surveillance cameras.

“Fully support all law enforcement personnel tasked with enforcing immigration law” – I support what your doing, but I’ll deny funding in appropriations bills. I’m slick like the rest of them.

Point 3:
“Policies that promote or tolerate amnesty will be rejected” – who cares. Existing policies already create a defacto massive amnesty.

“Propose to provide” – don’t actually do anything, just propose. And our government has been SO SUCCESSFUL at controlling illegal immigration, they surely will handle this new bureaucracy with utmost efficiency. Please.

Point 4:
“denying them jobs is the centerpiece of an attrition strategy” – we can’t even deny jobs to people with mismatching SSN’s. How do they expect to implement such a plan? Lawyers will ensure this “denying” won’t ever take place (kind of like mph gas standards that won’t take place until 2020)

“Impose steep fines and penalties on employers that violate the law” – they will ensure that these penalties are cheaper than the benefits gain by employing illegals. Advantage corrupt business.

“Institute a universal, mandatory citizenship verification system as part of the normal hiring process.” – we already have one that businesses can use voluntarily. Make it their responsibility and they will complain they are not immigration enforcement. Again “institute” doesn’t mean enforce or fine if they don’t.

“Prevent the IRS and the Social Security Administration from accepting fraudulent Social Security numbers or numbers that don’t match the employees’ names.” The IRS already accepts ITIN’s which they know are obtained by millions of illegals. They don’t care and this will never work as long as ITIN’s are out there.

Point 5:
“The FairTax provides an extra layer of security by creating an economic disincentive to immigrate to the U.S. illegally.” – The economic disincentive will still be more attractive than wages in central and south America, thus illegal immigration will increase.

Point 6:
“Promote better cooperation on enforcement by supporting legislative measures” – buzz words that equate to “talk loud, carry a virtual stick.”

“Local authorities must be provided the tools, training, and funding they need so local police can turn illegal immigrants over to the federal authorities.” – local authorities set up sanctuary cities making this statement ridiculous. “Must be provided?” Yeah, if the money isn’t there (think Homeland Security Fund cuts), nothing will happen.

Point 7:
“End exemptions for Mexicans and Canadians to the US-VISIT program” Why did the US-VISIT” program have exemptions in the first place? Answer, government corruption ensures it, and you can bet your ass, point 7 will have loopholes.

“Reject Mexico’s “matricula consular” card, which functions as an illegal-immigrant identification card.” – states like Maryland won’t care. They will use two other forms of proof of resicence and ignore this requirement.

Point 8:
“Inform foreign governments when their former citizens become naturalized U.S. citizens.” Governments like Mexico that actually enforce their borders and care about sovereignty already know their citizens are dual citizens. Their remittance payments already prove this and as long as they keep coming, they could care less.

“Impose civil and/or criminal penalties on American citizens who illegitimately use their dual status” – again DON’T ACTUALLY “STOP” them just fine them and let them continue on.

Point 9:
Summarized – make the process easier and so much more in numbers that points 1-8 don’t even matter anyway.

bucktowndusty on December 6, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Well, Satan does in fact fit that description.

BKennedy on December 6, 2007 at 2:52 PM

My first thought as well. Considering that Christians have always believed that Jesus is fully human, even after the resurrection, the “not human” line is either theologically obtuse or really scary.

To be fair, I think the real answer is the obtuse one, since it fits with the general shallowness of all of Huckabee’s other religious comments. But if his head starts doing 360s, I am so out of here…

JackOfClubs on December 6, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Huck’s poll numbers will sink as soon as rational voters realize what he is saying about his self-ordination as the Republican nominee.

And gradually realize that his oft-stated stance for in-state student benefits for illegal aliens is what he REALLY thinks.

My bet is that he is tomorrow’s toast.

fred5678 on December 6, 2007 at 4:45 PM

a vote against huck is a vote against jesus!

lorien1973 on December 6, 2007 at 4:53 PM

bucktowndusty on December 6, 2007 at 4:12 PM

While you made some really good points, Mark Krikorian is a pretty smart guy, he’s got the immigration thing down pat.

You might though include in your points the complete overhaul of the Executive Office of Immigration Review, this is a very important Dept. that has almost the final say over a migrants permission to stay or go.

The EOIR is a vastly understaffed office, badly infiltrated with immigrant rights activist attorneys with a policy of what Michelle likes to call “its not over till the alien wins, even some really bad criminal aliens”.

Just a suggestion for your points list.

Speakup on December 6, 2007 at 5:11 PM

“its not over till the alien wins”, even some really bad criminal aliens.

Speakup on December 6, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Well, this is a first. On a mission from God.
This is a scarey, scarey man. Makes one wonder what God will tell him to do in the future as he tries to pull us all back from the abyss! Kool aid anyone?

jeanie on December 6, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Gov, your rise is being fueled by the MSM, which knows you’ll fold like a cheap lawn chair once you get nominated.

Labamigo on December 6, 2007 at 5:17 PM

A power that is “not human” is fueling my rise, says Huck

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

peski on December 6, 2007 at 5:28 PM

All these guys (candidates) need a cooling off period. Like a horny bachelor, a possibility of a few votes, and they say anything to get their voters in bed.
Lets see him live for a couple of years with his “born again” conservative/immigration issues. Give him a cabinet post and let him work his way to salvation.
Words are cheap.
And the power that is not human…great another “prophet” to guide us.
God doesn’t fuel you to be a politician, that’ like giving crack to a whore.

right2bright on December 6, 2007 at 5:49 PM

@ jeanie on December 6, 2007 at 5:16 PM

“I feel like God wants me to run for President.” -GWB

“”God told me to strike at al Qaeda and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam [Hussein], which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East.” – GWB

And basically what he meant by all these quotes:
“I’m the Commander, see … I do not need to explain why I say things. That’s the interesting thing about being the President … [I] don’t feel like I owe anybody an explanation.” – GWB

ANYONE who runs for president claiming he is a messenger sent from God is scary, will undoubtedly be a gigantic dissapointment and will NEVER get my vote.

muyoso on December 6, 2007 at 5:58 PM

Huckabee: ‘I’m Not Saying God Wants Me To Be Elected.’

A reader passes on this account of Huckabee’s speech, where he explains a bit more about that reference that his rise in the polls was driven by a force that was “not human.”

Much of the news conference focused on Huckabee’s reference to God as a major driving force behind his increasing popularity. When asked if God was solely responsible for his surge in the polls, Huckabee clarified: “I’m saying that when people pray, things happen.”

“I’m not saying that God wants me to be elected. The last time I checked, he hadn’t registered in any of the states to vote. If he does register, be sure to let me know, because I will ask for his vote.”

12/06 04:32 PM

bnelson44 on December 6, 2007 at 5:59 PM

Nice of God to take an interest in our election, but where the #$%@ was he when Carter got elected?

RightOFLeft on December 6, 2007 at 6:05 PM

muyoso,

First of all most of those quotes have been denied by Bush. But don’t let facts stand in the way of a good quote. And second of all, imo, Bush will not be seen as a disappoitment when we look back. He kept our economy strong after the worst atttack ever on our soil, after the worst natural disaster, and during war. He stood up to Islamic terrorism and established a Democracy where none thought possible. He has brought North Korea in line and is standing up to Iran.

Sometimes faith makes us far better people or leaders than we ever thought we could be, so spare me your condescension.

I know I will tick off many here, but the Huckabee rise can be blamed on people such as many here who insisted that Rudy was the one despite the fact that he is as liberal as Hillary on social issues. How did you expect the evangelical community to react? Rudy is as far off to the left to them (and to me) as Huckabee is as far off the the religious right to you.

It’s time we decided on who we can agree on. Mitt, McCain, or Thompson. And back that horse.

There is a storm coming (named Hillary) and we better be ready. So stop bickering and putting people down who believe differently than you, and join together behind someone we can all in conscience vote for.

Rightwingsparkle on December 6, 2007 at 6:17 PM

I don’t like my leaders to be religiously mushy towards anything illegal simply because we’re supposed to love the sinner.

SouthernGent on December 6, 2007 at 6:20 PM

You guys made me so mad, I wrote a post about my comment here.

Rightwingsparkle on December 6, 2007 at 6:33 PM

So do we get to blame him for the crashing dollar and the mortgae meltdown then?

Democracy? Where? Please do not say Iraq or I will have to ROFALMAO!

He has brought North Korea in line and is standing up to Iran.

Have they been informed of this?

Rightwingsparkle on December 6, 2007 at 6:17 PM

George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and Christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer would make it any more absurd.

MB4 on December 6, 2007 at 7:15 PM

You guys made me so mad, I wrote a post about my comment here.

The link leads to a sign-in page.

Slublog on December 6, 2007 at 7:31 PM

MB4,

The only thing absurd is your arguments.

Slublog,

Thanks.

Here is the link. God Bless the Candidate.

Rightwingsparkle on December 6, 2007 at 8:14 PM

Thanks, RWS. For a minute there I thought you’d gone subscription only or something.

Slublog on December 6, 2007 at 8:18 PM

The worst part about all this? Ryan Sager is probably laughing his tail off.

Slublog on December 6, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Is that just the worst hair I’ve ever seen, or is it the worst toupé I’ve ever seen?

Jaibones on December 6, 2007 at 9:16 PM

Rightwingsparkle on December 6, 2007 at 6:17 PM

I’ll buy that. Oh, and wow.

Jaibones on December 6, 2007 at 9:22 PM

sry ,,, thats just all wrong.

As a life long Evangelical(istic) (theres a difference ya know), missionary and co-writer of a book on evangelism.. thats just not right.

No person has a right to declare themselves as an instrument of Christ.

BUT WAIT AMEND2 you just said…

No I said that I have followed Christ’s teachings to be fishers of men but I would never proclaim that any event in history happened because of my existance… like that man just did…

To assume and campaign that you have some “tap or inside info” on what Christ or the Father is devining is absolutely so far right of right of right of right..

Did he watch the “messanger” too many times? ( i live jean and that movie) but come on!L

hmm very odd.. and .. nm

amend2 on December 6, 2007 at 9:41 PM

Maybe the spirit of a dead multiple rapist?

profitsbeard on December 6, 2007 at 11:25 PM

Huckabee Plays the Religion Card

Wow!

Does Krauthammer ever nail it, and nail The High Reverend Huckster.

When Mitt Romney’s father ran for the presidency 40 years ago, his Mormonism was not an issue. When Mo Udall was a major challenger for the Democratic nomination in 1976, his religion was so irrelevant that today most people don’t even remember that Udall was a Mormon.

Five members of the Senate are Mormon. Are there any intimations that the Mormonism of Harry Reid, Orrin Hatch, Gordon Smith, Michael Crapo or Robert Bennett corrupts, distorts or in any way diminishes their ability to perform their constitutional duties?

Mormonism should be a total irrelevancy in any political campaign. It is not. Which is why Mitt Romney had to deliver his JFK “religion speech” this week. He didn’t want to. But he figured that he had to. Why? Because he’s being overtaken in Iowa. Why Iowa? Because about 40 percent of the Republican caucus voters in 2000 were self-described “Christian conservatives” — twice the number of those in New Hampshire, for example — and, for many of them, Mormonism is a Christian heresy.

The appealing aspects of Huckabee’s politics and persona account for much of this. But part of his rise in Iowa is attributable to something rather less appealing: playing the religion card. The other major candidates — John McCain, Rudy Giuliani and Fred Thompson — either never figured out how to use it or had the decency to refuse to deploy it.

Huckabee has exploited Romney’s Mormonism with an egregious subtlety.

Huckabee is running a very effective ad in Iowa about religion. “Faith doesn’t just influence me,” he says on camera, “it really defines me.” The ad then hails him as a “Christian leader.”

Forget the implications of the idea that being a “Christian leader” is some special qualification for the presidency of a country whose Constitution (Article VI) explicitly rejects any religious test for office.

Just imagine that Huckabee were running one-on-one in Iowa against Joe Lieberman. (It’s a thought experiment. Stay with me.) If he had run the same ad in those circumstances, it would have raised an outcry. The subtext — who’s the Christian in this race? — would have been too obvious to ignore, the appeal to bigotry too clear.

Well, Huckabee is running against Romney (the other GOP candidates are non-factors in Iowa) and he knows that many Christian conservatives, particularly those who have an affinity with Huckabee’s highly paraded evangelical Christianity, consider Romney’s faith a decidedly non-Christian cult.

Huckabee has been asked about this view that Mormonism is a cult. He dodges and dances. “If I’m invited to be the president of a theological school, that’ll be a perfectly appropriate question,” he says, “but to be the president of the United States, I don’t know that that’s going to be the most important issue that I’ll be facing when I’m sworn in.”

Hmmm. So it is an issue, Huckabee avers. But not a very important one.

And he’s not going to pronounce upon it. Nice straddle, leaving the question unanswered and still open — the kind of maneuver one comes to expect from slick former governors of Arkansas lusting for the presidency.

MB4 on December 7, 2007 at 1:14 AM

We’ve gone too far [This means you especially, The High Reverend Huckster]. The Founding Fathers wanted to avoid the kinds of religious tests that plagued Europe for years. In writing religious liberty into the Constitution, the prohibition of a religious test was directed at government. Government couldn’t establish a state religion or interfere with the practice of anyone’s religion. But now voters themselves need to be reminded of the prohibition against selecting public officials on the basis of their religion.
- Dennis Byrne

MB4 on December 7, 2007 at 3:18 AM

There was one significant mistake in the speech. I do not know why Romney did not include nonbelievers in his moving portrait of the great American family. We were founded by believing Christians, but soon enough Jeremiah Johnson, and the old proud agnostic mountain men, and the village atheist, and the Brahmin doubter, were there, and they too are part of us, part of this wonderful thing we have.

Why did Mr. Romney not do the obvious thing and include them? My guess: It would have been reported, and some idiots would have seen it and been offended that this Romney character likes to laud atheists. And he would have lost the idiot vote.
- Peggy Noonan

MB4 on December 7, 2007 at 3:26 AM

Rightwingsparkle on December 6, 2007 at 6:33 PM

Great post RWS. You nailed it.

BacaDog on December 7, 2007 at 7:52 AM

All of us “scorning” Huckabee here may be giving him an opening to tell Iowans that he is now being persecuted in the name of faith like the Biblical martyrs(or some variation thereof). I wouldn’t put it past him. Also, it might resonate with many people who resent the sterotypical image often cast on the Christian right. I don’t know if Huck actually believes all this or he’s just working the crowd, but either way he’s bad news.

jeanie on December 7, 2007 at 9:57 AM

Update: Yeah, listen, nothing personal. I’m sure he’s a good guy and has only the best intentions. But this is where I get off AP

Any 180 near Iowa scares me. ‘By their fruits ye will know them’. Iowa is radioactive and pulls lesser men into all sorts of chameleon poses

I am a devout religie. When something special happens to me I see God’s hand behind it. I thank God many times in the day and I believe He heard me every single time. I feel God looking over my shoulder. That is what believing in a literal God does.

It doesn’t scare me to hear bread and fish analogies because I do not believe miracles ended when Christ ascended

If I was in Huck’s shoes and my prospects and donations multiplied I would also thank God for this miracle of the bread and fishes. I do it when I get an unexpected check in the mail and I mean it.

But I have been burned by overtly religious Bush and his crooked ploys on amnesty. The pounding the last year trying to usurp the will of the people was inforgettable. Huck is pure Bush on immigration – until this week.

I don’t buy it. My raw sore stomach cannot take another Bush

entagor on December 7, 2007 at 5:14 PM