Video: The holy highway

posted at 4:45 pm on December 5, 2007 by Allahpundit

I suspect the media’s trying to trump this up into some sort of supposedly quasi-mainstream belief but you would know better than me so we’ll figure it out in the comments. “A growing number of evangelical Christians around the world are convinced that Interstate 35 is a holy highway,” says WCCO, citing the end of a 35-day prayer vigil of churches along the highway as a news peg. NBC has something about it too, claiming that parishioners believe it’s the road referred to in Isaiah 35:8. Has anyone heard of this or is it a case of the press trying to tar Christians with the arcane beliefs of a fringe few? I’m guessing the latter, although if it’s the former than Mitt has a pretty good comeback the next time someone challenges him about the Garden of Eden being in Missouri.

The fact that Pat Robertson’s taking it seriously makes me wonder if it is, in fact, mainstream. Will someone ask Rudy about it?

Update (Bryan): As Hot Air’s resident evangelical, I probably ought to chime in here. I hadn’t heard of the “holy highway” until earlier in the week when a friend of mine sent me some links about it along with sarcastic references to the “highway of Jabez.” I was probably going to write about it at some point but Allah beat me to it. Of all the stupid things I’ve ever heard of in my days on this earth, the holy highway is surely among the stupidest. My fellow evangelicals are really jumping the proverbial (though non-holy) shark on this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Every day I travel down holy highways – here in Israel the Holyland. :)

But what comes to my mind in any case when I’m are the potholes.

Shy Guy on December 6, 2007 at 12:52 AM

…”when I’m DRIVING are…….”

Shy Guy on December 6, 2007 at 12:53 AM

I only scanned for the girl in green, but the theology is laughable. That verse (I think) referes to a stretch of ground between Babylon (roughly Iraq) and Jerusalem, through which the Jews will return under the divine protection of the returned Messiah.

After all these centuries–and then the Iraq war, it’s hard to imagine there are enough Jews left in Baghdad to warrant a new, “holy” highway. But, I suppose, we’ll see…

urbancenturion on December 6, 2007 at 1:36 AM

Shy Guy on December 6, 2007 at 12:52 AM

Hey Shy, I’m in Israel too!

tikvah on December 6, 2007 at 1:44 AM

Living right off the I-35 I’ve never heard of such a thing.

modnar on December 6, 2007 at 4:15 AM

urbancenturion on December 6, 2007 at 1:36 AM

Actually, Isaiah 35 is referring to the fall of the Babylonian Empire and the return of Israel afterwards to build the 2nd Temple in Jerusalem.

Shy Guy on December 6, 2007 at 5:58 AM

I-35 is a movement to capitalize on the story of it becoming the NAFTA highway that splits the nation.

Hawaii has I 1, 2 and 3, does this mean Hawaii is where Isaiah begins his teachings?

MSGTAS on December 6, 2007 at 8:24 AM

Never heard this.

Don’t care as this is ridiculous.

However, working in a sleep lab, I have threatened some patients with the Holy Sledgehammer of Sleep. (j/k)

Mommynator on December 6, 2007 at 11:31 AM

I-35 the highway from God? Hogwash, No one has driven I-75 between Cincinnati and Dayton?

pb5000 on December 6, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Frozen Tex on December 5, 2007 at 6:33 PM
One in the same sir.. what year did your Dad graduate.. this is my second time through SWBTS.

GoodBoy on December 5, 2007 at 10:43 PM

1971? ’72? I was very young at the time, having just been born in 1970; I know I had my first birthday in Texas (living in campus housing next to the train tracks). My dad taught Sunday School in the campus church; a bunch of yahoos that liked to hang an upside down US flag in their classroom (NOT his idea, and he made them stop). I know we were back in Canada by late ’72, and Dad was soon pastoring a small church on the Canadian prairies.

Frozen Tex on December 6, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Frozen Tex

Yup, I know the train tracks well. The guys in the Dorm LOVED the Train whistle as a wakeup call at 3AM.

Canadian baptist huh? Not related to the famous Blackaby clan are you?

GoodBoy on December 6, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Canadian baptist huh? Not related to the famous Blackaby clan are you?

GoodBoy on December 6, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Not that I’m aware; Dad’s side of the family is from Manitoba, and Scotland before that.

Mom once threw eggs at the train (an Army train, as it happens) and swore Nixon would never get his hands on her little boy. She was only right in the sense that he wasn’t President when I enlisted (Bush 41).

An update from Dad says we left in February of ’72, and our address was 4809 Gordon, behind the seminary, 2 short blocks from the campus, at the time.

Frozen Tex on December 6, 2007 at 1:51 PM