Murdered woman’s mother: I’ll do whatever it takes to help defeat Huckabee

posted at 5:51 pm on December 4, 2007 by Allahpundit

Absolute moral authority?

A Missouri mother says she will do “whatever it takes” to stop former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee from becoming president, because he freed the man who went on to rape and murder her daughter, Carol Sue Shields (pictured).

“I can’t imagine anybody wanting somebody like that running the country,” Lois Davidson of Adrian, Mo., told the Blotter on ABCNews.com.

Wayne Dumond was initially sentenced to life plus 25 years for raping a 17-year-old Arkansas high school cheerleader. In 1999, a parole board voted to free Dumond, after then-Gov. Mike Huckabee announced his desire to see him released.

If you’re not up to speed on the Dumond saga, get there because the rest of the field’s going to start flogging it. In much the same way that he conveniently omits the meager three-year residency requirement for the illegal alien tuition breaks he sponsored, Huck is quick to emphasize that he never took any official action to pardon Dumond or commute his sentence. Which is true, according to this Byron York piece from October, but also fails to mention that Huck did lobby the parole board on Dumond’s behalf. Why? Partly because he doubted the guy’s guilt; read York’s account to see why. But there’s more to it than that:

Critics, and some friends, too, say Huckabee’s position was deeply influenced by his Christian faith. “When I first met him, I was going through his positions on issues and I said, ‘You’re a conservative, so I’m sure you oppose granting parole for violent felons,’” says Dick Morris, the campaign consultant who ran Huckabee’s first run for lieutenant governor. “And he said, ‘Oh no, I would never take that position, because the concept of Christian duty requires that there is a possibility of forgiveness. The concept of Christian forgiveness requires that we keep open the process of parole — use it sparingly, but keep it open.’”

When I ask Huckabee about that, he reminds me that he was tough on a lot of criminals, too. “Heck, I executed more people than any governor in the history of the state,” Huckabee tells me. “It’s not something I’m bragging about, I’m just saying that if it had been simply a matter of my Christian conscience saying I don’t believe in capital punishment, then I was pretty lousy in my conscience.” Watching him speak, it’s clear Huckabee feels deeply about the issue. If he continues to rise in the polls, it’s likely he’ll be talking about it a lot more.

What makes Huckabee such a fascinating character is that he so often seems to pit two traditionally conservative values against each other: Christianity on the one hand and law and order on the other. It’s the same with his immigration position, where he wants (or so he says) to get control of the border while also happily encouraging illegals to immigrate with the prospect of scholarships or tuition breaks. He hasn’t cited any faith rationales for his stance on Gitmo but you can imagine that taking shape pretty easily. Exit question: How far is too far? Using Christianity as a shield for some of his more liberal positions may help in a pinch but there’s a segment of the base that already has qualms about the explicitness with which he’s touting his religion as a political asset. If he’s pushed on Dumond and invokes the spirit of mercy as justification, is it going to spook even mainstream conservatives?

Update: Let me reemphasize, since people aren’t reading the blockquote carefully, that Huck did not base his lobbying for Dumond on Christian mercy. That was a generalized statement he allegedly made to Dick Morris. He lobbied for Dumond because he questioned his guilt.

Update: Hmmm.

Comments

will it spook even mainstream conservatives?

yes it will, he better prepare to answer this woman.

robo on December 4, 2007 at 5:56 PM

I guess the mother thinks that her daughters life was worth more than The High Reverend Huckabee demonstrating his “Cristian forgiveness”.

MB4 on December 4, 2007 at 5:56 PM

I agree. But I also think “Three strikes, aaaaaaaand you’re OUT!” helps too.

Califemme on December 4, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Oh, and I kinda like Fred.

Califemme on December 4, 2007 at 5:58 PM

He is a fraud. He is a liberal running as a Republican. End of story

GogglesPisano on December 4, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Convenient huh? This way he can always have an excuse.

I am really beginning to despise this guy!

conservnut on December 4, 2007 at 6:01 PM

Nice update.

see-dubya on December 4, 2007 at 6:01 PM

I am really beginning to despise this guy!

I don’t despise. I think he’s the most interesting guy in the race.

Allahpundit on December 4, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Too many people misinterpret the intention of forgiveness. Christian forgiveness is of the soul, and doesn’t suggest that we fail to hold a person responsible for their actions. Forgiveness is not the same as a pardon.

Gregor on December 4, 2007 at 6:02 PM

As a conservative Christian I personally find Mike Huckabee’s stances disturbing. They are spineless and wishy washy, perhaps overlookible in a pastor, but not in an individual responsible for the safety and security of a very large group of people.

doriangrey on December 4, 2007 at 6:02 PM

If Rush Limbaugh decides to get behind Fred Thompson … it’s over.

Gregor on December 4, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Huckabee’s stance isn’t super surprising to me, as, Christianity is continually holding in tension issues of law and gospel, justice and grace, sin and forgiveness. These things are at the heart of a Christian’s faith. And, as faith is something that extends to all aspects of a person’s life, it is expected that it will come through Huckabee’s politics.

But, if he dodges the issue by saying that he didn’t have anything to do with the guy’s release, instead of saying plainly that he made a huge freaking mistake, then that would alienate me.

Fred’s my guy anyway. That spot is alright, except for the shot of Fred with his fists raised like a 2 year old at the end. There weren’t any other shots for right there guys?

nailinmyeye on December 4, 2007 at 6:06 PM

Horse hockey. If Christians truly lived by the maxim of “turn the other cheek” in all matters, there would be no Christians any more because they’d all be dead.

Leave the forgiveness to your God, and enforce moral laws in the meantime. Or if you must forgive pieces of crap like Dumond, let it be along the lines of “trust but verify” – forgive but incarcerate.

peski on December 4, 2007 at 6:07 PM

It does sound like he’s bragging to me though. He said something similar in one of the debates i think. Im all for the death penalty, but it seems a bit unseemly to say “Hey look how many people i executed!”

But thats just me.

amish on December 4, 2007 at 6:07 PM

If Rush Limbaugh decides to get behind Fred Thompson … it’s over.

Gregor on December 4, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Heh heh heh I believe that should be…When Rush Limbaugh decides to get behind Fred Thompson…Rush has been hinting for quite awhile that he might be planning on endorsing Fred…

doriangrey on December 4, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Would huckabee lobby on this guy’s behalf if it was his 17 year old daughter he raped?

lorien1973 on December 4, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Gregor on December 4, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Well said.

peski on December 4, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Huck as Gomer Pyle.

Valiant on December 4, 2007 at 6:09 PM

It’s official. I hate all our republican candidates. The good ones (hunter) can’t get more than 1% in a poll. The top tier ones are all a bunch of waffles.

lorien1973 on December 4, 2007 at 6:11 PM

As a Christian and a conservative, I don’t want Huckabee for President.

ctmom on December 4, 2007 at 6:11 PM

Huck as Gomer Pyle.

Valiant on December 4, 2007 at 6:09 PM

ROTFLMAO.

Cheap shot, but still.

peski on December 4, 2007 at 6:11 PM

Forgiveness belongs in the realm of personal relationships–God offers forgiveness to us based on a relationship with Him–we repent, He forgives and we are His child.

Criminals need to repent, the offended have the much harder, and often seemingly impossible, task of forgiveness, but the GOVERNMENT is not in the relationship. The GOVERNMENT is supposed to ENFORCE THE LAW. Repentance, yes, but the punishment needs to stand.

Vanquisher on December 4, 2007 at 6:12 PM

peski on December 4, 2007 at 6:07 PM

“And may God have mercy on your soul, because no one else will.”

Frozen Tex on December 4, 2007 at 6:14 PM

Huck as Gomer Pyle.

Valiant on December 4, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Thank you Valiant. That was classic!

Gregor on December 4, 2007 at 6:14 PM

14 seconds of comedy gold.

Valiant on December 4, 2007 at 6:15 PM

If you rape or murder someone, you’re done.

Get pardoned and do it again – you’re done done. Ignore the steak, concern yourself with the sizzle.

If you pardon someone who’s raped or murdered someone, you’re done.

If you pardon that person, and they rape and murder, again …

Sorry, Huck. You just lost my attention.

yo on December 4, 2007 at 6:15 PM

Frozen Tex on December 4, 2007 at 6:14 PM

Nice reference.

peski on December 4, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Willie Horton’s back.

MadisonConservative on December 4, 2007 at 6:16 PM

peski on December 4, 2007 at 6:16 PM

One of my favourite lines.

Frozen Tex on December 4, 2007 at 6:18 PM

This is exactly what I was talking about yesterday

LtE126 on December 4, 2007 at 6:18 PM

The only person who had a right to forgive that thug was his victim. Huckabee’s holier than thou arrogance is wearing mighty thin.

nobaloney on December 4, 2007 at 6:20 PM

I am sorry for her loss..Allah, you make a very good point about his religion vs law…I see him trying to win the hearts and souls of the Christians, but even with them, this can backfire…The picture people will be shown is that of a dead girl..that is what will stick in their minds and right or wrong, they will associate her death with him…

Pam on December 4, 2007 at 6:21 PM

“parole” – not “pardon”

yo on December 4, 2007 at 6:21 PM

“And he said, ‘Oh no, I would never take that position, because the concept of Christian duty requires that there is a possibility of forgiveness we forgive.

And he’s a Minister?

Again … forgiving is not a pardon.

Gregor on December 4, 2007 at 6:22 PM

Oh, and I kinda like Fred.

Califemme on December 4, 2007 at 5:58 PM

Me too!

ballz2wallz on December 4, 2007 at 6:22 PM

oops

ballz2wallz on December 4, 2007 at 6:23 PM

Mike Huckabee, meet Willie Horton. As a Christian, let me add that divine forgiveness of a sin doesn’t always exempt one from the consequences of said sin. For Huck to use his faith to justify parole of a dangerous felon leads me to believe that he doesn’t fully grasp Romans 13. There is nothing wrong with leaning on your faith when decisions have to be made…but if his theology is that thin, do I want him in a position to turn the other cheek against China or Iran?

So far, Huck hasn’t shown me anything other than his support for the FairTax, and even then, he’s done a half-assed job of selling it beyond his “blow up the IRS” soundbites.

Kid from Brooklyn on December 4, 2007 at 6:24 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever loathed a mainstream Republican politician as much as I do Huckabee. He represents a direct threat the Reagan legacy and conservative values that have served the party well (when the party has served them) since 1980.

How has this latter day William Jennings Bryan become the leading candidate in the Republican party? I’m at a loss.

I feel the need for some real grass roots activism against this guy. Nearly all the conservative web sites seem unified in recognizing how dangerous this man is to conservatism. Everyone needs to unite behind taking this man down.

Nessuno on December 4, 2007 at 6:26 PM

Schmuck-abee makes Jimmy Carter look like Rambo.

MaiDee on December 4, 2007 at 6:28 PM

MaiDee on December 4, 2007 at 6:28 PM

I was gonna say Churchill, but the principle is the same. Huck sucks!

Kid from Brooklyn on December 4, 2007 at 6:36 PM

Please note — Huck didn’t explicitly cite his faith in lobbying for Dumond. He said he thought the guy wasn’t guilty.

Allahpundit on December 4, 2007 at 6:38 PM

He said he thought the guy wasn’t guilty.

Allahpundit on December 4, 2007 at 6:38 PM

That’s even worse. Since when do we allow Governors to decide guilt or innocence? He’s even a bigger moron than I suspected.

Gregor on December 4, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Decent ad for Thompson, even if the graphic effects get a bit old after about 10 seconds.

I think Thompson and his supporters, though, would do better to focus on Huckabee at the moment. He could easily peel off some of Huckabee’s support by highlighting the differences between Huckabee’s rhetoric and his record.

Slublog on December 4, 2007 at 6:54 PM

Nice campaign ad by Thompson.

jaime on December 4, 2007 at 7:05 PM

I repeat: is the main purpose at this point just poking holes in each and every candidate?

Don’t we have the Democrats and the media to do that for us?

And in case you aren’t picking it up from the comments above – if that is indeed your purpose, it’s beginning to work rather well.

Convenient huh? This way he can always have an excuse.

I am really beginning to despise this guy!

conservnut on December 4, 2007 at 6:01 PM

He is a fraud. He is a liberal running as a Republican. End of story

GogglesPisano on December 4, 2007 at 6:00 PM

That second quote is particularly damaging (and dumb). It couldn’t be farther from the truth. Say what will about Huckabee, but calling him a “liberal” is just plain silly. He couldn’t be further from a liberal if he tried. Just ask the liberals.

As for his basic position on the death penalty:

That’s textbook classic conservatism. Tough and firm yet open to the possibility of change. It is, in fact, at the core of both conservatism and Christianity.

“Fry them all!” is not conservative. If anything, it’s a liberal stereotype of what conservatives believe and feel.

I can find plenty of faults in Huckabee, but the fact that while executing more people than any governor in his state’s history, he made a mistake in lobbying for parole in one case … is not something I fault.

He’s human. Surprise. Even Chuck Norris knows that.

As for me – or any commenter – judging that decision … well, I don’t know all the facts. Do you?

Gregor on December 4, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Clemency, oversight of the state department of corrections, executive pardons, and other legal instruments have been part of the governor’s role in most states since the country began.

And that comment is just another brick in the wall, kids: for some reason, we all seem desperate to engage in one big circular firing squad.

I can’t figure out why. Or why some seem to take such glee in it.

President Hillary Rodham Clinton. That’s where we’re headed. If this website is representative of where conservatism is as a whole, I almost guarantee it.

Professor Blather on December 4, 2007 at 7:08 PM

Hey Allahpundit I think you have just given us a new classification for certain of your posts………We have the Red Meat classification…and now we have the FRed Meat…classification…

doriangrey on December 4, 2007 at 7:10 PM

Huckabee = Jimmy Carter = Gomer Pyle

volsense on December 4, 2007 at 7:16 PM

Good article by York. I think Huckabee is going to have to explain why he thought Dumond wasn’t guilty. The article isn’t clear on that.

Slublog on December 4, 2007 at 7:16 PM

This guy sounds more like a good old Northeast liberal everyday – Michael Dukakis with a southern accent.

TheBigOldDog on December 4, 2007 at 7:31 PM

I would have supported a Huckabee… until he started going after Romney’s faith… he just dropped below Paul on my list.

bains on December 4, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Frees dangerous felons to rape and murder… check
Raise taxes and lies about it… check
Enjoys the nanny state controlling food choice…check
For giving illegal immigrants rights not granted to US citizens outside the state….check.

Sounds like a liberal to me.

TheBigOldDog on December 4, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Allah,

interesting because he’s eclectic or interesting because he’s the confluence of christian/baptist preacher and an old fashioned southern democrat in right wing clothing?

JazzBass on December 4, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Professor Blather on December 4, 2007 at 7:08 PM

We are trying to save the Cheerleader America !

MB4 on December 4, 2007 at 8:36 PM

He’s human. Surprise. Even Chuck Norris knows that.

Professor Blather on December 4, 2007 at 7:08 PM

That seems to be about all that Chuck Norris knows these days.

MB4 on December 4, 2007 at 8:39 PM

Professor Blather on December 4, 2007 at 7:08 PM

Dem candidates are each 100% unacceptable.
Rep. candidates are prob. 30-60% unacceptable. Probably just the reality of the situation.

JiangxiDad on December 4, 2007 at 8:39 PM

The fact that the MSM is fawning over the Huckster is reason enough to give him short shrift. Fred! is the man!

JimK on December 4, 2007 at 8:40 PM

No god and no religion can survive ridicule, no politician, no nobility, no royalty or other fraud, can face ridicule in a fair field and live.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on December 4, 2007 at 8:43 PM

Because of Huck’s comments on illegal immigration, many of us evangelical Christians, like myself, are not surprised that Huckabee hypothetically would attempt to use or mis-use “Christian mercy.”

Huckabee, despite being a pastor, misinterprets key Biblical passages, and builds a whole new teaching on a foundation of sand.
Mike Huckabee, though sincere, is sincerely wrong. He misunderstands the Biblical view of “Two Kingdoms of State and Church.” As a result, this crucial misunderstanding leads to further
theological error and misapplications.

Vanquisher on December 4, 2007 at 6:12 PM

Excellent point.

The Bible teaches that the functions and role of government and those of the individual Christian are in separate categories. Huckabee confuses them and misappropriates the application of each.

As a conservative evangelical Christian myself, I find Huckabee’s anti-Biblical views are very disturbing to me.

ColtsFan on December 4, 2007 at 9:12 PM

peski on December 4, 2007 at 6:07 PM

No doubt about it. Natural selection would’ve weeded them out and the process of evolution would’ve continued unobstructed. Likewise, liberals who like to think, “we’ve evolved beyond the need for war and violence” are sorely mistaken. Any society that “evolves” in such a way will be killed off in the process of natural selection and the truly “evolved” will take their place.

FloatingRock on December 4, 2007 at 9:14 PM

is fred alive or dead, man if he was just, i don’t know 150 years younger!

kara26 on December 4, 2007 at 9:15 PM

Huck as Gomer Pyle.

Valiant on December 4, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Interesting to note that the only videos by that guy that prompted vicious replies in the comment section were for… Ron Paul! woo!

Reaps on December 5, 2007 at 12:20 AM

ctmom

I agree. I believe Christians should be merciful, and should be charitable, and we should take care of our neighbors. But we, the people, should do that, not the government. Huckabee may have a good and honest heart, but he seems to want the government to do it for us. I can’t get behind that.

p40tiger on December 5, 2007 at 1:10 AM

Bubba in a preacher’s collar.

davod on December 5, 2007 at 6:28 AM

The reincarnation of Mike Dukakis – Huck!

Bradky on December 5, 2007 at 6:41 AM

Once more we see that the MSM’s favorite Republican Presidential Candidate…. is the one who acts and thinks like a Liberal Democrat.

BTW, the news media are now talking about “America ‘Hearting’ Huckabee”, as per that movie. I’m surprised that it has taken them this long to start with that one.

My vote next November will be cast for whoever does not remind me of Huckabee or the Hildebeast. Which means that whatever happens, I certainly won’t be voting Democratic.

cheers

eon

eon on December 5, 2007 at 8:49 AM

Last year, a family sued the city of Austin, TX (a sanctuary city) for re-releasing a violent criminal alien into the city every time he was picked up for legal infractions that would place any normal American citizen in jail. He was an illegal alien, and therefore not subject to the same laws we citizens are. He went on to rape and murder their daughter, after being in police custody numerous times. The family sued Austin for it’s sanctuary policy, saying that it directly resulted in the death of their daughter.

Couldn’t this woman sue Huckabee personally (not as the governor) for an action of his that led directly to the murder of her daughter? I know there’s some sort of legal mechanism that shields government officials from being sued for public policy decision, but it seems to me that he directly and personally influenced this criminal’s parole – not just as a general policy. A well-timed lawsuit – even if it doesn’t get very far – would be very helpful right about now.

Redhead Infidel on December 5, 2007 at 9:34 AM

According to the crime library article, Huckabee abandoned his advocacy on behalf of DuMond three years before he was paroled.

Blake on December 5, 2007 at 10:37 AM