Video: Stephanopoulos nails Huckabee on scholarships for illegal alien students; Update: Pro-Huck push polls in Iowa?

posted at 9:55 am on December 3, 2007 by Allahpundit

Slublog was ahead of the curve but credit Stephanopoulos for calling Huck out on his dishonesty. Steph zeroes in on the fact that what Huckabee keeps touting as a merit scholarship program ended up being a simple in-state tuition break. Why let illegals who reside in Arkansas get a break that citizens who reside in Alabama don’t? Because, according to Huck, attending school in Arkansas — for as little as three years, potentially, let’s not forget — makes for a more valid claim on public resources than American citizenship plus 13 years in a neighboring state’s school system does. Huck doesn’t like to mention that meager three-year prerequisite but watch him nod at it here in passing, as he refers to a hypothetical illegal student who’s been in Arkansas schools since he was five or six “or even since he’s 13.”

The second clip is of the obvious follow-up question. I’ve never seen Huckabee speechless but darned if Steph doesn’t stump the band; it looks as though Huck hasn’t even thought about what his policy on this would be as president, which is amazing given the heat he’s taken for it and his many sonorous pronouncements about what his soul won’t let him do. Watch the third clip to get an inkling of how he’s likely to settle on the issue. Because immigration is a federal, not state, issue (or so proponents of non-enforcement always remind us vis-a-vis sanctuary cities), he’ll likely end up claiming he’s obliged to take a harder line on illegals as president than he did as governor — a federalist distinction, irony of ironies. Where that leaves his soul, I don’t know. Perhaps these gentlemen will be able to help.

Update: Robocalls in Iowa going negative on Fred, McCain, and Rudy? Huck says he has nothing to do with it but the group’s webpage is slick. Everyone’s thinking it so I’ll just wonder aloud — did they have anything to do with the anti-Mormon calls a few weeks ago?

Comments

what his soul won’t let him do

Of course his soul won’t let him.

It is owed by Tyson Foods.

MB4 on December 3, 2007 at 9:59 AM

I was for tuition breaks before I was against them.

BacaDog on December 3, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Nice pun there, AP, (intended or not), about nailing this martyr to the cross.

AlexB on December 3, 2007 at 10:03 AM

You catch that in the 2nd clip – “and legitimize their being here”.

Spirit of 1776 on December 3, 2007 at 10:03 AM

So HE’S going to protect US.

Never thought I’d say this…but, thanks George

I can’t stand this nanny state candidate.

LtE126 on December 3, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Truly, this guy has to get his teeth fixed. He’s missing some. It’s a distraction.

JiangxiDad on December 3, 2007 at 10:06 AM

I’d be surprised if this really hurts him though. Most of the candidates use the distinction in separation of powers to deal with the hard stuff, the divisive stuff, Rudy and Fred especially. I suspect that people who would like to like him will accept his answer as ‘good enough’. We’ll see, I’ve been wrong before,

Spirit of 1776 on December 3, 2007 at 10:10 AM

Oh, he’s thought about what his policy would be. He just doesn’t want to SAY what his policy would be. For his misreading of how this issue resonates with those who would potentially vote for him — as well as his previous “I’m more Godly than you” defense of his position — he has shown that he’s not fit to be the Republican nominee.
Good grief, can someone give this guy the hook already?

Rational Thought on December 3, 2007 at 10:14 AM

Steph did a good job on this interview. Huck is wrong on this issue. He’s worse on this issue than McCain was because he’s not even hinting about anything with enforcement.

I love how these ‘state’ guys want to say it is a ‘federal problem’ while they encourage illegals to break the law with all the assistance that they are giving them. Huck talks about not punishing these people. . . but these laws PUNISH THE AMERICAN TAXPAYER.

He says that it isn’t the drivers’ license people’s job to determine who is and is not fraudulent? That’s news to me. With a driver’s license you are legitimate for tons of things. I hope that they are checking at the driver’s license place for some sense of legality. I’d hate to think that OBL could get a driver’s license and the state that issued it would say it was a ‘federal problem’.

Huckabee is wrong on this issue, but all the Republican candidates are more than willing to sell out the American people to pay for their ‘compassion’ of people who broke the law. When lawmakers say that it is OK for some laws to be broken, then they have become obsolete.

If someone had a federally banned firearm, you can bet the state would be on that crime in a second without deferring to ‘it’s a federal problem’. A human being can be as deadly of a weapon as any firearm. . . just ask MADD.

It is issues like this that make me think that McCain at the end of the day will carry the ticket.

ThackerAgency on December 3, 2007 at 10:17 AM

This rhetoric of “punishment” and “shutting out” really ticks me off. Since when is higher education a guaranteed right? We guarantee and pay for 13 years of education already! Since when is not being able to afford college a “punishment” being meted out by the rest of society against those we don’t like? That’s like saying that, if you can’t afford an iPhone or an HDTV, you’re being “punished” by the government. It’s not just the kids of illegals who have a hard time getting into and paying for college. Why is it only “punishment” and “being shut out” for illegals who can’t go to college? I guess the children of citizens who can’t afford college deserve it, huh Mike?

aero on December 3, 2007 at 10:18 AM

“I’m more Godly than you”

Exactly. I want someone who’s gonna croak terrorists. Period. Not someone who’s going to tell me what to do in my life or tell me how to live.

This guys gonna try to do just that.

LtE126 on December 3, 2007 at 10:18 AM

BTW…the candidate doesn’t have to be perfect. I ain’t.

He just has to be the best one.

LtE126 on December 3, 2007 at 10:22 AM

Well Huck, American students from other states in the USA are “children of God too” – why charge them higher tuition rates? Are you going to PUNISH them just because their parents “made the mistake” of not living in YOUR STATE?

His arguments don’t hold water. He is a Religious socialist which is worse than a plain old socialist.

He is being propped up by Dicky Morris and the MSM to “mix it up a little” and push Roodie Tootie to the finish line.

stenwin77 on December 3, 2007 at 10:22 AM

huckabee=jimmy carter

hilary will likely waltz into the White House if this guy is the nominee. It he somehow incredibly beats her, he will be the republicans jimmy carter and the dems will take over permanently in 2012.

peacenprosperity on December 3, 2007 at 10:24 AM

Good lord! If this joker is leading the pack then get ready for Hillary. Frankly, there’s not a one of them, Democrat or Republican that’s fit to lead the nation. The Republic is in deep trouble.

rplat on December 3, 2007 at 10:29 AM

OK, minor quibble with the Huckster, but I heard him say it in the debate the other night, and then heard him say it again at the end of the first clip. His phrase, we want them to graduate from college so that they become “tax-payers instead of tax takers”, is off the mark, in terms of conservativism, in so many ways. First, not graduating from college has never excused anyone from having to pay taxes. I know that he is trying to say something along the lines of, “if you go to college, you’ll get a higher paying job that will put you in a higher tax bracket, and then you’ll pay more taxes, thereby contributing to society.” But, therein lies the rub. The problem is that he is weighing what is right and wrong by whether or not the person is in a position to be taxed. Second, someone who isn’t taxed is not a tax taker. As far as I know there is only one entity that can be a “tax taker”, and the worker is not it. When I hear Huck say “tax maker not tax taker” I get really upset, because I don’t think those should be the categories with in which he classifies citizens and non-citizens.

Weight of Glory on December 3, 2007 at 10:31 AM

Stephanopolous has done the best job to date of nailing Huckabee down on this issue. He has danced around it too long.

We have a big problem on this issue. All off the candidates that have a likelihood of winning the nomination are weak on immigration. I don’t think we can count on them to do the right thing. The only one with a glimmer of hope is Fred. He says the right things but I have doubts about him pulling enough votes to get the nomination.

I am still an undecided Iowa voter.

Terri on December 3, 2007 at 10:32 AM

There are a lot of bandwagon Republicans that are going to look stupid when we have some candidate nominated who isn’t even conservative. People need to start thinking ahead about their choice for President. Combine who you like with who can win and we’ll all be a lot better off.

davenp35 on December 3, 2007 at 10:33 AM

“huckabee=jimmy carter”

Bingo.

LtE126 on December 3, 2007 at 10:34 AM

Weight of Glory on December 3, 2007 at 10:31 AM

He said what he meant, don’t make excuses for him. carter was pro life in 1975 and 76 as I recall. This guy is a wolf in sheeps clothing, an arkansas politician. He is not a conservative.

peacenprosperity on December 3, 2007 at 10:34 AM

Sorry to break up the Huckabee hate-fest going on here but I would point out that the man actually showed up for an intereview with a rabid leftist/ pro-Clinton stooge like Georgie Stephanopulos. The same can’t be said about Obama or Hillary showing up on Fox New Sunday and taking hard questions…..

But then, I guess so long as you can bash Republicans for their faith it’s bread and circus to you guys. Why bother putting things in perspective when there is an evangelical Christian to beat up on! It would be one thing to fault Huckabee for his stand on illegals while governor but that quickly slides into (once again and repeatedly) bashing the man for being a Christian. That just isn’t right! Shame on the whole lot of you who giggle at turns of phrase like “nailed Huckabee to the cross” I mean really, is it possible for just one thread about a GOP hopeful can stick to things other than the God-haters bashing the faith of others?

highhopes on December 3, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Huckabee has just found out that he can not “Joke” his way to the top. Justice? Darn right!! We don’t need a comedian in the White House.

Welcome to the top tier HUCK. Is it still as fun as it was last week when the media was buzzing about the underdog?

This is getting good…….

Nelsa on December 3, 2007 at 10:36 AM

Build the fence.

Enforce the law.

Defend the nation.

Huck the bee.

profitsbeard on December 3, 2007 at 10:39 AM

I don’t understand where this guy’s support comes from. Is it all just because he gets a few zingers across in the debate? If so I am fearful for the future of the Republic.

conservnut on December 3, 2007 at 10:39 AM

It’s not about his faith, it’s about his political philosophy and duplicity.

If I criticize obama’s views are you going to call me a racist?

peacenprosperity on December 3, 2007 at 10:52 AM

That second clip is the biggest chink in Huck’s armor I’ve ever seen.

MadisonConservative on December 3, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Oh man, is this guy weak…the number one problem facing our nation, immigration, and he can’t seem to grasp it.
Bye-Bye Huck. When the one on one debates get started, you are finished. Even Mitt, with his flip flops, makes more sense then you.

right2bright on December 3, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Not to be a one trick pony here but,

“But then, I guess so long as you can bash Republicans for their faith it’s bread and circus to you guys.”

I’m no atheist but, I don’t want a Pastor making decisions about bombing countries. I also want to look at a copy of Playboy when I want to. And I don’t want to be told what to feed my kids…that’s dem stuff.

LtE126 on December 3, 2007 at 11:01 AM

You catch that in the 2nd clip – “and legitimize their being here”.

Spirit of 1776 on December 3, 2007 at 10:03 AM

Stuck out like a cockroach on a wedding cake. Somebody from one or more of the other campaigns needs to run that clip over and over and over. I think it betrayed his true feelings on the issue, and given his past on it, it’s another reason to give him no more trust on the borders than we would give to Bush at this point.

I thought he really tap danced badly (and looked slightly flustered) in the third clip when asked about his race baiting remarks with regard to the voter registration bill.

This is where he’s weakest, this is where his opponents need to hammer him again and again.

thirteen28 on December 3, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Huckabee says he doesn’t want the children of illegals to be “tax-takers.” I guess that means he doesn’t want them to become politicians, then, huh? ;-)

aero on December 3, 2007 at 11:11 AM

Close your eyes, Huckabeen sounds exactly like anyone on the far left on this issue.
While watching him, keep your eye on his eyes, the look of fear is pronounced at times when Steph is asking Q’s.
NO WAY , JOSE!
(can’t believe I said that)

shooter on December 3, 2007 at 11:13 AM

And why does Huckabee assume that if people don’t go to college, they’ll automatically be tax-takers instead of tax-payers? Is it because he’s specifically referring to illegals that he assumes that, or does he think all people lacking a college education are on the public dole? That seems more than a little prejudicial.

aero on December 3, 2007 at 11:14 AM

Last one, I gotta go.
Who do you think mahmoud, mookie and the rest DOSEN”T want in there.

Huck? A man on the cloth?
Mitt? a flipflopper?
Hillary? A woman?
That fem who plays with his hair on YouTube?

It’s Rudy or St John, the two who have the ‘nads to pull the trigger like Bush did before he lost his balls.

Rudy.

LtE126 on December 3, 2007 at 11:20 AM

Huckabee is an eyebrow plucker

Zetterson on December 3, 2007 at 11:25 AM

highhopes on December 3, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Do you think Phyllis Schlafly was anti-Christian to point out Huck’s liberalism?

Phyllis Schlafly, president of the national Eagle Forum, is even more blunt. “He destroyed the conservative movement in Arkansas, and left the Republican Party a shambles,” she says. “Yet some of the same evangelicals who sold us on George W. Bush as a ‘compassionate conservative’ are now trying to sell us on Mike Huckabee.”

Compassionate conservatism is just big gov’t liberalism and Huckabee governed Arkansas as liberal on taxes and spending. Conservatives can’t afford to continue this trend because we have lost the mantle of fiscal responsibility.

It’s not anti-Christian to point this out.

Bill C on December 3, 2007 at 11:30 AM

Nominating this guy will be handing Hilldozer the Presidency on a silver platter. What are they putting in the republican water over there?

ronsfi on December 3, 2007 at 11:34 AM

thirteen28 on December 3, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Yes, I totally agree it betrays his true feelings.

Spirit of 1776 on December 3, 2007 at 11:39 AM

Of course his soul won’t let him.
It is owed by Tyson Foods.
MB4 on December 3, 2007 at 9:59 AM

This is no minor issue. I’ve had tremendous effect making the argument to animal right’s activists that they should oppose illegal immigration because it enable the meat industry to find its slave labor to torture and kill the animals. My experience is that once the argument has been made animial rights activists buy it. In politics, it’s usually good to find allies in unusual places, unless you are Ron Paul. Then again, it may even be good for him depending on his goals.

(I know that if we believe this argument, it does mean that we eat a little less meat, but that would be a healthy choice anyway.)

thuja on December 3, 2007 at 11:42 AM

highhopes on December 3, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Horse hockey. Huck is perfectly willing to go in to the Stepho-demo-lion’s den because he IS a Democrat in all but name.

Defend his inane policies all you want just because he’s a Christian like you. Go ahead. Make yourself completely irrelevant.

peski on December 3, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Oh brother! You sound like whatever the Christian equivalent of CAIR is. Avoid the issue and accuse your detractors of being anti-Christian. That dog don’t hunt here in the rational world.

A man who uses his faith as a hammer to shut down anyone who opposes him by accusing them of not being “Christian enough” is not a man of faith! No one’s bashing him for being a Christian. I’m bashing him for using religion as a crutch to support a weak position in a political game and suggesting that he was doing God’s work when it’s just plain old dirty politics. Genuine people of faith should be insulted by Huckabee, not by his critics.

Rational Thought on December 3, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Huckabee is to Republicans what Lyndon Johnson was to Democrats. Keeping Huckabee off the R ticket will be very useful in the long run.

gabriel sutherland on December 3, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Rational Thought on December 3, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Well said. I would add that I am extremely disappointed by the refusal of Huckabee’s evangelical supporters to hold him accountable for his continued dishonesty about his record.

Huckabee is the one who made faith an issue when he put “Christian leader” into his ads, so don’t be surprised or shocked when people expect him to live up to his own standards.

Slublog on December 3, 2007 at 12:11 PM

peski on December 3, 2007 at 11:51 AM

I used to despise Stephanopoulis, but I’m beginning to respect and think peski’s statements are unfair. Stephanopoulis is asking candidates good logical questions about substantive issues. He asked the Democrat pres candidates about what was the likely outcome of leaving Iraq and stayed on point about the bad outcomes. Stephanopoulis seems to want to ask the candidate the questions that they would prefer to avoid–exactly the questions that they should be asked.

thuja on December 3, 2007 at 12:16 PM

If this is the best the Republican Party can muster, I want out.

Ernest on December 3, 2007 at 12:27 PM

How in the world can it be so hard for entry-level government employees to check on citizenship when registering people to VOTE? You have a list of documents that qualify, you check the documents. Who are we hiring for these jobs if they can’t even do that?

MayBee on December 3, 2007 at 12:46 PM

Build the fence.

Enforce the law.

Defend the nation.

Huck the bee.

profitsbeard on December 3, 2007 at 10:39 AM

Deploy troops

Defend perimeter

Build the fence.

Enforce the law.

Defend the nation.

Huck the bee.

TheSitRep on December 3, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Of course his soul won’t let him.

It is owed by Tyson Foods.

MB4 on December 3, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Explains the Chicken S—

Stephanopoulos:

Your opponents have also criticized you for opposing legislation that would have required proof of citizenship in order to register to vote. You called it race baiting and demogogery

Huckabee:

What we were talking about was in Motor Voter in 2001 there would be in essence making the front line DMV worker the entry level state employee responsible for being an immigration agent and for checking the documentation

Huckabee’s defense that in Motor Voter – which guarantees a voter registration for anyone getting a driver’s license unless we check their documents for citizenship – we would be forcing state workers to check their documents for citizenship?

State workers check documents now for proof of eligibility to drive, which includes age and identity (proof they are real people and not aliases) and a criminal background check based upon the documents provided. They run routine computer checks and visually scan pieces of paper

You obey your conscience if you have one. Huckabee could sell used cars in Arkansas but obeying your soul (your self) instead of your conscience won’t fly with me

Obviously Huckabee is seeking the votes of non citizens

I am starting to love Stephanopoulos. He has a shred of decency in him

entagor on December 3, 2007 at 1:05 PM

Alabama is not in Arkansas dumbass.

SoulGlo on December 3, 2007 at 1:07 PM

A slick talking Arkansas Governor who wants to be Pres.
Sound familiar?

How about its all rewarding illegal behavior?
Punishment shmunishment, its just a euphemism to excuse an emotional response to illegality.

Speakup on December 3, 2007 at 1:15 PM

“A taco in every pot…” -Huey P. Huckles

saved on December 3, 2007 at 2:42 PM

The education subsidies are BS. The child of an illegal can illegal can still get an education. They just have to pay out of state pricing. Why hasn’t anyone in the SM picked up of this piece of flim-flamerry.

davod on December 3, 2007 at 2:58 PM

This is like what I said in the post about him saying it’s a moral thing, “Why make anyone pay tuition?”

And I thought that In State tuition had to do with paying state taxes and supporting the state school, not that they learned the Arkansas way.

Wait? In the third clip is he saying there should be a national ID card?

- The Cat

MirCat on December 3, 2007 at 4:11 PM

He’s just like any socialist Dem because can’t answer to the logical ends of his current/past politics. That is why he stutters on questions regarding the bigger picture and the future and such.

nottakingsides on December 3, 2007 at 5:08 PM

This guy is a genius, notice: “There is a difference between being punished and being rewarded”. Duh ?

SIJ6141 on December 3, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Foreigners! Get your freebie from Huckabee!

Mojave Mark on December 3, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Anyone but Huck.

Tzetzes on December 3, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Do you want a President who defends this logic:

1. Denying preferential in-state tuition to illegal aliens is punishment.

2. Giving Federal Pell grants to illegal aliens is a reward.

“It’s the difference between being punished and being rewarded.”

My son’s German Shepherd could win a debate against this guy.

Illegal aliens shouldn’t be educated on the state taxpayers’ dime or the federal taxpayers’ dime. They should be GONE.

fred5678 on December 3, 2007 at 10:06 PM

This is the guy that interfered with an INS investigation into Tyson Chicken in AR. Tyson was charged with bringing in 6,000 Illegal Aliens by contacting Coyotes in Mexico and placing the orders.

He was able to strong arm the INS director into dropping the investigation even though the justice department continued with the prosecution of the executives.

Huckabee brought the Mexican Consulate to AR by charging them $1.00 a year rent on the office complex which they occupied. He has said this was to bring jobs to AR.

Yeah Illegal Aliens that have depressed the chicken slaughter house wages from an average $18.00 an hour to $9.00 an hour.

In other words, he saved Tyson $54,000 an hour or $432,000 a day in labor costs for the 6,000 employees in the AR investigation.Tyson has now has quite a few plants in Arkansas including Fayetteville, Lincoln, Elkins, Gentry and Gravette.

Does anyone remember if Chicken dropped in price while Huckabee was in office?

I did not but Tyson earned record profits from 1998 thru 2007. Those bonus checks for going out to the the top management while the American employees got screwed.

Huckabee is worse than Jorge Bush and if elected will do everything he can to erase our borders and use his Religion to justify it.

Frankly, Mike Huckabee scares me because he has a silver tongue just like Bill Clinton and could pull this off.The packing house industry will pour millions into his campaign if he continues to gain in the polls.

ScottyDog on December 4, 2007 at 8:58 PM