Video: Huckabee gets a phone call from God

posted at 5:30 pm on November 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

Thus proving that there are indeed phone calls important enough to interrupt a speech for.

Witness Huck here at his best and worst. The clip comes from our libertarian web maestro, Mark Jaquith, who offers it as a microcosm of Huckabee’s idea of government: in Mark’s words, “one big faith-based initiative.” And yet, he pulls it off. Fluidly delivered, as always, and sprinkled with humor, it goes down as smooth as a spoonful of sugar. The rest of the GOP’s top tier all have their tics and weaknesses when debating, but I can’t find one significant flaw in Huck’s approach when he’s at the mic. We’re lucky the debates are almost finished; two or three more months of this while momentum’s starting to build and he might have run away with it.

Comments

Bill Clinton could be charming as well

William Amos on November 30, 2007 at 5:32 PM

Well that was…ummm…dumb…

doriangrey on November 30, 2007 at 5:35 PM

Eric Clapner?

saint kansas on November 30, 2007 at 5:37 PM

So this a$$clown wants to be president?

Puh-lease!

thejackal on November 30, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Bill Clinton could be charming as well

And it got him elected as well. Down side here?

-T

The Therapist on November 30, 2007 at 5:39 PM

Glad to see Huck is going to have to take the same grilling here that every other candidate has received.

Welcome to the upper tier, Huck!!

(now go back down to where you came from)

thirteen28 on November 30, 2007 at 5:39 PM

Yeah JFK schmoozed his way past Nixon on the first debate on TV, too, charm and good camera presence are not priorities in my book, but for many they are.

bbz123 on November 30, 2007 at 5:44 PM

He’s a better actor than Fred.

Buy Danish on November 30, 2007 at 5:48 PM

Welcome to the upper tier, Huck!!

(now go back down to where you came from)

thirteen28 on November 30, 2007 at 5:39 PM

Me too; athough in just about every thread that isn’t 100% positive about a candidate someone whines “AP why do you hate [insert candidate's name here] so much? You keep bashing him! Waaah!”

Doesn’t really matter who the candidate is, though Rudy and Mitt fanboys (and fangirls) seem to be the worst offenders.

Hollowpoint on November 30, 2007 at 5:48 PM

Dang. I thought that was going to be corny, and it started off uncomfortably but it was memorable and weirdly palatable. It’s a Jedi mind-trick.

Spirit of 1776 on November 30, 2007 at 5:50 PM

Yes he’s good. Like some thing from a Capra film. Can’t you just see Jimmy Stewart playing that part? And I don’t think Jimmy could have done better and Bubba is no where near his league!

Of course, we might have hoped, even expected as much from Fred but in retrospect had no founded reason to do so. Where as Fred has happened to been able to play himself, what he is, a southern lawyer, in some movies and on television, we had no rational basis for expecting from him, to be anything more than who and what he is.

Still I’m hopeful for the triumph of ideas. I root for Fred.

Nyog_of_the_Bog on November 30, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Wow…you guys really hate Huck. Look, he had to compromise here & there in a Dem state to get things done. Reagan raised taxes as a governor & as a president because he had to deal with liberal legislatures. At least Huck is reliable on the most important issue–stopping the flow of blood from the abortion mills.

jgapinoy on November 30, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Well delivered. Very “Bob Newhart“. Slick. Maybe too slick…
He should have asked God if we really needed another slick Arkansas governor as President.

edgehead on November 30, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Wow………that was amazing. I bet Fred Thompson couldn’t do that without a script. This guy REALLY has great communication skills….maybe even better than Reagan.
(And if you’ve never spoken in front of a big crowd, don’t be too quick to discount that kind of talent. It’s not easy.)
One thing bothers me though…where do you find a blurry camcorder these days? Even my cell takes better video than that and it doesn’t look like compression artifacts.
hmm.

Keith_Z on November 30, 2007 at 5:54 PM

It’s nice that they keep in touch.

Frozen Tex on November 30, 2007 at 5:58 PM

AP, I’m really curious as to how this plays on you personally, not how it plays out in the election. I ask this because this would seem, to me at least, to be the very thing that atheists, political secularists, agnostics, etc. find troubling. Personally, this doesn’t send me through the roof. I’d rather have a Duncan Hunter say he is not going to apologize for America, than a phone call from God asking for autographs for Samson. That’s just me, however.

Weight of Glory on November 30, 2007 at 6:01 PM

Nightmare.

peski on November 30, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Once you get past the whole taking the Lord’s Name in vain thing…yeah, after you get past that…it’s real funnay after that.

jdpaz on November 30, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Keith_Z on November 30, 2007 at 5:54 PM

My guess is if thats not shot off of the tv screen by digital cam, then its a transfer to digital for pc thats the problem.

Nyog_of_the_Bog on November 30, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Christian humor, I can see why Allah wouldn’t get it.

Seriously folks. Lighten up.

I have to admit, I haven’t looked at Huckabee as viable, but he’s looking up. (exuse the pun)

Rightwingsparkle on November 30, 2007 at 6:11 PM

Nyog of the blog,

I thought of Jimmy Stewart too!

Rightwingsparkle on November 30, 2007 at 6:12 PM

Someone needs to tell the titling guy that it’s not R-AK, it’s R-AR.

Methinks he’s not from Alaska; he’s from Hope, right?

digitalintrigue on November 30, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Well-delivered, but off-putting in its arrogant premise.

aero on November 30, 2007 at 6:15 PM

I doubt anyone but me remembers this, but there was a humor record in the early 70s about a phone call from God. It was one of the first Christian comedy bits, and it was actually pretty funny, though I don’t remember who did it. I wonder if Huck is playing off that old record in this bit. It has a similar flavor.

Bryan on November 30, 2007 at 6:17 PM

LOL I liked it I think it was a great joke, sorta takes the stress out of the campain. Thumbs up Huck!
(not a Huck supporter)

Exit: Who was the first Republican to take a phone call during a speech?

allrsn on November 30, 2007 at 6:21 PM

jgapinoy on November 30, 2007 at 5:52 PM

We’ve just had 8 years of big government “compassionate” conservatism that has left our party in shambles … we don’t need 4 (or 8) more.

thirteen28 on November 30, 2007 at 6:21 PM

Did God pass along any message from Mr. Knievel?

Frozen Tex on November 30, 2007 at 6:21 PM

jgapinoy on November 30, 2007 at 5:52 PM

“Compromise here & there???” He begged for higher taxes, shilled for illegals, the tax burden and spending skyrocketed during his term, and spent as much time fighting Republicans in his state as the Dems.

If that’s what you call “getting things done”, I don’t want him doing anything anywhere near the White House. Fred was good enough for the NRLC, he should be good enough for the social cons without supporting a Big Government, open borders nanny-stater.

Hollowpoint on November 30, 2007 at 6:22 PM

Good night! How old are you?

Heh.

Weight of Glory on November 30, 2007 at 6:22 PM

Weight of Glory on November 30, 2007 at 6:22 PM

I was a little kid at the time, but it left an impression on me.

Bryan on November 30, 2007 at 6:23 PM

When does everybody think Huck’s opponents are going to hit him with this?

bert169 on November 30, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Excellent presentation. Shelley Berman couldn’t have done it better, and maybe not as good.

When Imus gets back on the air he’s going to be worth 10 points in the polls for Huck, because I’m sure the I-Man will have him on just as much as he used to when Huckabee was governor.

rivlax on November 30, 2007 at 6:32 PM

That was Bob Newhart’s gimmick, one sided phone conversations. This guy has had an identity crisis in the past, stuff like this can only help him, a’la Clinton and Kennedy.

RMCS_USN on November 30, 2007 at 6:39 PM

I really enjoyed it…it was nice and different.

ballz2wallz on November 30, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Actually that was a great Bob Newhart parody.
But really isn’t that somewhat sacrilegious?

TheSitRep on November 30, 2007 at 6:40 PM

“Noah!”
“What?”
“Noah, I want you to build me an ark!”
“Riiiighht! An ark…..what’s an ark?”
“Never mind that….I want you to build it 40 cubits by 60 cubits by 80 cubits”
“Riiiiggghhht! What’s a cubit?”
“NOAH! How long can you tread water?”

JayHaw Phrenzie on November 30, 2007 at 6:52 PM

Ring, Ring.
Huck: Hello.
God: Mike.
Huck: Yes sir.
God: I want you to give your phone to Allahpundit.

Bill C on November 30, 2007 at 7:00 PM

DISCUSTING

mjkazee on November 30, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Wow…you guys really hate Huck.

No, we don’t. Many of us disagree strongly with Huckabee’s positions on certain issues, but I would wager only a few people truly hate him.

Slublog on November 30, 2007 at 7:05 PM

I doubt anyone but me remembers this, but there was a president in the late 70s. I wonder if Huck is playing off that guy in this bit. It has a similar flavor.

saint kansas on November 30, 2007 at 7:09 PM

Yes Sir??????

Well, he just lost my vote ; )

The Ugly American on November 30, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Apparently Allahpundit would believe if this call was made on an iPhone.

Why did I imagine The Almighty’s voice on the other end of that call sounding a lot like Nathan Birnbaum?

What? Too obscure?

ScottMcC on November 30, 2007 at 8:14 PM

“NOAH! How long can you tread water?”

JayHaw Phrenzie on November 30, 2007 at 6:52 PM

You’re dating yourself with that reference. That was back when Bill Cosby was funny.

“Why is there air.”

Mallard T. Drake on November 30, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Wow………that was amazing. I bet Fred Thompson couldn’t do that without a script.

Keith_Z on November 30, 2007 at 5:54 PM

Don’t fool yourself thinking that was off the cuff. Well rehearsed and well delivered. And Fred has the chops to pull off something like that too.

Mallard T. Drake on November 30, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Bryan on November 30, 2007 at 6:17 PM

Ellen DeGeneres also did this similar phone call from God back before she came out of the closet. Very similar to this whole thing too. It was in an old HBO special or on Carson. Maybe back in the late 80′s.

PowWow on November 30, 2007 at 8:48 PM

is this a bit? you never can tell with someone who believes the earth is only 6000 years old. it could be the verizon billing agent and he’s just having a psychotic lapse.

jummy on November 30, 2007 at 8:52 PM

Cheesy. Over the top. Has “the Lord” in it.

Americans will eat this up! It was a cute bit, but I’ll need something more substantial than a phone call from gawd when we’re staring down Russia and China in a few years.

I didn’t like the part about taking care of “ALL the people” either…meaning illegals coming from Huckster.

SouthernGent on November 30, 2007 at 9:39 PM

This is a take off from an old Bob Newhart bit. Funny, but to the best of my recollection, Newhart never even came close to the Republican nomination

billy on November 30, 2007 at 9:45 PM

Bryan

Bill Cosby

EricPWJohnson on November 30, 2007 at 10:04 PM

Bryan on November 30, 2007 at 6:17 PM

Was it Jerry Jordan by any chance?

JackOfClubs on November 30, 2007 at 10:36 PM

And here I was, thinking that the most important issue was stopping the flow of blood from our skyscrapers.

Silly me.

Bob Owens on November 30, 2007 at 11:03 PM

Not a Huckabee fan, but I liked it.

And as someone mentioned above, probably a better performance than thespian Fred Thompson could pull off!

asc85 on November 30, 2007 at 11:41 PM

He looks like an “ugly” Kevin Spacey.

awake on December 1, 2007 at 12:20 AM

Wow………that was amazing. I bet Fred Thompson couldn’t do that without a script.

Keith_Z on November 30, 2007 at 5:54 PM

Errr … you don’t think Huckabee had a script for that?

Gregor on December 1, 2007 at 12:34 AM

So all you Fred haters hate Fred because all he is, is an actor, but admire now a man that you think can out act him?
I just don’t understand…
One
One thing for sure, Huck can raise taxes quicker, let more immigrants in quicker, and build a bigger government quicker than any other candidate.

right2bright on December 1, 2007 at 1:23 AM

Bryan

Bill Cosby

EricPWJohnson on November 30, 2007 at 10:04 PM

Oh yeah. Wasn’t that the whole Noah making the ark bit? I remember hearing that when I was young.

PowWow on December 1, 2007 at 2:40 AM

Mike Huckabee needs to tone down all this religious stuff. We are voting for President. Not Pope.

SoulGlo on December 1, 2007 at 3:20 AM

PwWow

It was a great bit – it launched (BTW was written by Cosby himself) the following movies andseries

Oh God with John Denver

Bruce Almighty

Evan Almighty

Bob Newharts entire career

and many many offshoots

EricPWJohnson on December 1, 2007 at 3:41 AM

Bob Owens…..and our borders.

Regney on December 1, 2007 at 6:21 AM

I don’t know about getting a phone call from god but what he needs is phone call from Thomas Jefferson.

Though getting a phone call from God could be a clue.

Speakup on December 1, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Whoa everyone. Can’t you see what he was doing? He was called upon to give the invocation (the opening prayer). This was a very creative way of offering that (otherwise boring, unremembered) prayer. While it was creative and humorous, it was no less sincere. This man is a Baptist minister. His faith is not window dressing. At first I was a little put out at the seeming violation of cammandment #3 but then it appeared to me what Gov. Huckabee was actually doing. It was brilliant. When was the last time you remembered or talked about an invocation? They usually roll out some ancient reverend who prays some sanitized, non-sectarian, unoffensive (even to atheists) scripted prayer from an animist from a 3rd world country in the 19th century. Huckabee’s invocation was refreshing!

leavenedbread on December 1, 2007 at 10:31 AM

you guys are in electoral dreamland if you think the republicans can win anything without Texas (and it’s satellite states) and Florida (and it’s satellite states). Guess who you gotta make nice with, as pertains to the candidate? Latin and hispanic voters. Conservatives can’t play the badass to every group and expect to win dog catcher. You got to play the natural animosities and also the family first voting hispanic. This guy Hucka whatever his name is, appears to bridge the chasm, fit the bill, whatever you want to call a guy who can pull in some pissed off hispanic votes. There are bunches of em out there. Enough to carry Texas and Florida, knowing the border counties are a loss going in. No it’s the rest of Texas hispanics and conservative cuban and south american hispanics the republicans can’t win without.

pc on December 1, 2007 at 1:42 PM

and it is about winning first, after all. you can’t engage in the rest of your agenda without having someone who will at least listen to you. Keep playing hard to get and Hillary won’t care a whit what you think once she steals it.

pc on December 1, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Bob Newharts entire career

EricPWJohnson on December 1, 2007 at 3:41 AM

I have to call you on that one. Newhart pre-dates Cosby by several years. Bob was an original.

Mallard T. Drake on December 1, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Not overtly religious so it didn’t insult me in that respect.

Don’t know the candidate enough to hate (or like) him.

Didn’t come across as cheesy….well, a bit. Well executed but still seemed very out of place.

I found it to be just over-all….stupid. A gimmick. Something you would see from a used car salesman. FWIW, I didn’t car for Rudy’s staged “phone call interruptions” either.

Lastly, Newhart did it better than anybody (just finished watching “Hell is for Heroes” where old Bob did his schtick).

Faith1 on December 1, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Mallard T Drake

NewHart was a writer at the time Bill was performing this act :)

Newhart himself said it was Bills phone call that got him thinking about it

EricPWJohnson on December 1, 2007 at 9:23 PM