Thousands of Sudanese rally to free teddy-bear blasphemer — wait, did I say free? I meant kill; Update: Protest photos added

posted at 9:00 am on November 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

Ah, Friday. The day of prayer.

Thousands of people have marched in the Sudanese capital Khartoum to call for UK teacher Gillian Gibbons to be shot…

The marchers took to the streets after Friday prayers to denounce the leniency of the sentence.

The protesters gathered in Martyrs Square, outside the presidential palace in the capital, many of them carrying knives and sticks.

Marchers chanted “Shame, shame on the UK”, “No tolerance – execution” and “Kill her, kill her by firing squad”.

Per the Daily Mail, the imams there are bandying about the name Rushdie to impress upon the faithful the magnitude of her sin. The Telegraph is more specific: “Sheikh Abdul Jalil Karuri, a leading cleric, whipped up a crowd attending at the city’s Martyr’s Mosque by telling them Gillian Gibbons had deliberately named her class’s teddy bear Mohammed “with the intention of insulting Islam.’” Meanwhile, I’m curious as to why there are no photos of this very angry, very photogenic mob on the wires. A dearth of photojournalists in Khartoum, perhaps? Government media blackout? Or, like Gillian Gibbons’s own son, are the news bureaus worried about protecting the, ahem, other victims here?

“I don’t want the verdict to lead to any anti feeling towards Muslims. Everyone has been very nice, but one of my fears, and I imagine my mother’s also, will be that this results in any sort of resentment towards Muslim people.”

The Muslim Council of Britain, for the record, railed against the verdict and the American Islamic Congress has been doing a bang-up job agitating on Gibbons’s behalf. There’s a hint in the Daily Mail piece that she might be released early, probably just to make this go away before it causes any more headaches internationally for the Sudanese government. Perhaps they’ll placate the mob by setting the janjaweed off on another round of merrymaking in Darfur.

Look on the bright side. She’s in for a big media payday once she gets back to the UK, assuming she makes it back. Exit question: How ’bout some British Muslim counterprotests, hey?

Update: Say what you will about these tactics but don’t say they don’t work.

Update: Here come the photos now. The guy with the giant sword is my favorite.

Comments

“I don’t want my assasination to lead to any anti feeling towards the KKK. Everyone has been very nice, but one of my fears, and I imagine my mother’s also, will be that this results in any sort of resentment towards the KKK.” -Medgar Evers

IreneFingIrene on November 30, 2007 at 9:07 AM

IreneFingIrene on November 30, 2007 at 9:07 AM

Were there branches of the KKK circulating petitions to save Medgar Evers?

Allahpundit on November 30, 2007 at 9:10 AM

sounds like a religion of peace to me. Maybe it’s time for a Dancing Teddy Bear Mohammed to appear on You Tube…

BillLalor on November 30, 2007 at 9:13 AM

also the demonstrations smack of rent a mob, every muslim i have spoken to about this has said it is insane and ridiculous, all have said to me they want her released. The chair of the MBC was on TV last night absoloutly bashing the sudanese ambassador to his face.

zane on November 30, 2007 at 9:13 AM

Dammit AP, you had goin’ with that headline.

Let’s pray that they come to their senses and let this woman go unscathed. If not, let’s pray for a successful rescue by the SAS and Delta.

Tony737 on November 30, 2007 at 9:20 AM

Thanks for the link, AP. Always ironic how the most rage comes on the day of prayer.

JammieWearingFool on November 30, 2007 at 9:21 AM

You blow up some kids in a pre-school, a dozen teenagers in a pizza joint. You murder a couple high-profile infidels in the street…and an entire movie industry of hateful little infidels turns into lambs who make movies attacking the other infidels.

Works like a swiss watch.

Jaibones on November 30, 2007 at 9:22 AM

Friday prayers leading directly to enhanced rage again. Maybe Islam has something to do with this violent behavior.

Maybe if Gibbons clicks her heels together three times and says “Islam is Peace”, everything will be OK.

forest on November 30, 2007 at 9:24 AM

By the way, in case you conservative-Chicagoans-who-look-for-reasons-to-explode-into-self-righteous-outrage missed this one, dhimmitude hits the Chicago Tribune in full force.

This brainless little puff piece was on the front page, for no apparent reason. The irresistable combination of “disenfranchised black men” and the religion of pieces, making everything right in the multi-culti haven of Hyde Park.

Jaibones on November 30, 2007 at 9:28 AM

I think the Sudanese have better things to do.

SoulGlo on November 30, 2007 at 9:29 AM

“I’m curious as to why there are no photos of this very angry, very photogenic mob” – you know who would be at the front. I was expecting to click on the link and find a picture of Mr Islamic Rage Man, but alas I was let down. Perhaps the media is wise to his ubiquitousness.

Apeking on November 30, 2007 at 9:33 AM

By the way, in case you “conservative-Chicagoans-who-look-for-reasons-to-explode-into-self-righteous-outrage” missed this one, dhimmitude hits the Chicago Tribune in full force.

Jaibones on November 30, 2007 at 9:28 AM

That would be about 15 of us.

Hyde park is where Obama’s from

LtE126 on November 30, 2007 at 9:34 AM

I gotta figure this computer stuff out.

LtE126 on November 30, 2007 at 9:34 AM

I seem to remember a picture of a guy holding a sign that said “Behead Those Something Something Something”

BohicaTwentyTwo on November 30, 2007 at 9:35 AM

Dammit AP, you had goin’ with that headline.

I actually used to write headlines, and sometimes it’s a butch making them fit in the space required; e.g.:

Thousands of Sudanese Muslims
Rally to Free Convicted Woman
From Her Body

See? That’s just too long.

saint kansas on November 30, 2007 at 9:39 AM

I sincerely hope that she makes it out of there alive.

nailinmyeye on November 30, 2007 at 9:40 AM

Exit question: How ’bout some British Muslim counterprotests, hey?

What? What did you just say?

Sorry, I can’t hear you over the deafening roar of the British Muslim counterprotests.

saint kansas on November 30, 2007 at 9:43 AM

Stolen from “Hog on Ice”

I notice that Muslim nuts in Sudan have arrested a British schoolteacher for naming a teddy bear Mohammed. And they may tie this lady up and tear her skin off with 40 lashes.

In a gesture of solidarity, I have decided to name all of my farts Mohammed.

Oops, there goes Mohammed now. Mohammed the First. I have a feeling he will be the beginning of a long and illustrious dynasty.

LtE126 on November 30, 2007 at 9:53 AM

I think the Sudanese have better things to do.

SoulGlo on November 30, 2007 at 9:29 AM

Actually…I don’t think there’s anything better to do in Sudan.

James on November 30, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Another arab country, another pack of raging animals taking to the streets with swords waving.

Who says time travel is impossible?

Welcome back to the 11th century.

fogw on November 30, 2007 at 9:57 AM

Please allow me to repeat my comment on an earlier post for those of you that may have missed it.
School administrators pay close attention, this is where the road of zero tolerance leads.
Zero intelligence, zero compassion, and zero justification for your thoughtlessness.

leanright on November 30, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Islam to humanity?

Yous cant’s gets der from ear.
- New York City cab driver

MB4 on November 30, 2007 at 10:10 AM

I think the Sudanese have better things to do.

SoulGlo on November 30, 2007 at 9:29 AM
Actually…I don’t think there’s anything better to do in Sudan.

James on November 30, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Instead of just demanding an execution over a toy bear, they could be with their countrymen who are actually out murdering ethnic and religious minorities in Darfur. /sarc

forest on November 30, 2007 at 10:12 AM

When they call it the “Religion of Peace,” that’s just irony, right? Sort of an inside joke kinda thing?

Professor Blather on November 30, 2007 at 10:36 AM

Just remember folks, this is Sudan, and brown people have a different, arguably superior culture. At least they have one. Unlike white people.

/leftist racist hack.

BKennedy on November 30, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Do the Brits field anything like a Daisy Cutter?

serenity on November 30, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Sudan has a government?

Professor Blather on November 30, 2007 at 10:40 AM

This is a perfect chance to let the Libs show us their negotiating technique!!!

Let’s send Hillary, Obama, and Silky to negotiate with the Sudanese…and they can even take John Kerry and Madeline Allbright Halfbright along with them for support.

The world awaits the deal these duds will arrange!

landlines on November 30, 2007 at 10:46 AM

Were there branches of the KKK circulating petitions to save Medgar Evers?

Yea…44 people stepped up to the bat.

IreneFingIrene on November 30, 2007 at 11:01 AM

Poor, stupid teddy bear lady. I really hope she survives this.

aero on November 30, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Deja’ vu all over again, as Durante would say.

Religion Of Peace Perpetual Outrage That The Rest Of The World Exists

cheers

eon

eon on November 30, 2007 at 11:45 AM

My collie says:

The Teddy Bears are planning an “Entebbe style” raid to free the British school teacher, ya’ know.

Great! Let’s all enjoy the shock and awe of it.

CyberCipher on November 30, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Any religion that doesn’t included love, tolerance and forgiveness ain’t a religion.

gmoonster on November 30, 2007 at 12:11 PM

I’m wondering what influence this is having on the little boy who named his teddy bear. One wonders if this will make him think a la Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Mommynator on November 30, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Straight from the Times of London into the You Knew It Was Coming file:

“It’s really difficult at the moment, my head is everywhere. I don’t want the verdict to lead to any anti feeling towards Muslims,” said Ms Gibbons’s son, John, 25.

“Everyone has been very nice, but one of my fears, and I imagine my mother’s also, will be that this results in any sort of resentment towards Muslim people.”

So, please, with every teddy bear you send to the Sudanese Embassy, please consider also the donation of a pair of testicles to John.

saint kansas on November 30, 2007 at 12:36 PM

What punishment did the 7-year-old boy get? He, after all is a Muslim and should know what he did was wrong. Is he in the cell next to hers?

ej_pez on November 30, 2007 at 12:39 PM

I wonder if Glenn Beck could lend Gillian some of his keep-my-head-from-exploding duct tape to help her with the cognitive dissonance she must be suffering…

“They want to kill me?! But I went to teach in Sudan to help prove Islam is Peace. This is George Bush’s fault!”

eeyore on November 30, 2007 at 1:08 PM

The negative PR the true face of Islam has been receiving lately is glorious I say! Absolutely glorious!

awake on November 30, 2007 at 1:43 PM

Update: Here come the photos now. The guy with the giant sword is my favorite.

Islam is peace. That sword is clearly ceremonial Allah and not at all used for violence in any way. Please ignore the bood stains.

BKennedy on November 30, 2007 at 1:59 PM

Make that blood stains

BKennedy on November 30, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Welcome back to the 11th century.

fogw on November 30, 2007 at 9:57 AM

As Mr. Bush 43 would say, my friend, “…there, you have misoverestimated”.

Entelechy on November 30, 2007 at 2:00 PM

“Everyone has been very nice”

I’ve been checking out the protest photos, and I can’t make up my mind who’s nicer: the guy waving the sword or the guy setting fire to your mom’s photo.

saint kansas on November 30, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Too late, but it’s not cause of your mother; it’s their own danged fault.

tikvah on November 30, 2007 at 2:36 PM

With sons like John, does Britain deserve to survive?

BL@KBIRD on November 30, 2007 at 3:57 PM

We’ve let them get away with genocide. Why should they care if we complain about this?

sandberg on November 30, 2007 at 5:24 PM

As one of the links pointed out, British Muslims have a perfect opportunity to voice their distain and show the rest of their countrymen that they are not irrational and violent. They should be marching in the streets, as many British Muslims did during the cartoon wars.
I am afraid that they will squander this opportunity… As has been said of the Palestinians, they never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
Allah, if you can catch any action on the streets of the U.K. I surely would like to see it.

Babs on November 30, 2007 at 5:27 PM

The son should demand to take his mother’s place.

He’s self-evidently dumber than she is, and should fit in even better with the microencephalic level of the locals.

But, he seems to think that kissing the butthammad of those threatening to behead old Mum is a clever tactic.

Mum, meanwhile, invited this on herself by going to this retrograde hellhole.

Idealistic airheads tend to end badly.

Let’s hope Islam does, too.

profitsbeard on November 30, 2007 at 9:44 PM

How ’bout some British Muslim counterprotests, hey?

This is a good article. We should bring back those “Times” author Boris Johnson speaks of in this article!

abinitioadinfinitum on November 30, 2007 at 10:53 PM

This is what happens when you cut back on the number of aircraft carriers in your fleet, like Britain. The natives threaten to kill your citizens over teddy bears.

The British should ominously state that their citizens must leave the Sudan immediately. All Sudanese money in British banks should be frozen. Air service to Sudan should stop. There are a hundred ways to put pressure on Sudan.

Tantor on December 3, 2007 at 1:53 AM