Helen Thomas pwned by Dana Perino Video added

posted at 6:41 pm on November 30, 2007 by Bryan

Heh.

Q [Thomas] (off mike): Why should we depend on him?

MS. PERINO: Because he’s the commander on the ground, Helen. He’s the one who is making sure that the situation –

Q (off mike): — You mean how many more people we kill?

MS. PERINO: Helen, I find it really unfortunate that you use your front-row position bestowed upon you by your colleagues to make such statements. It is an honor and a privilege to be in the briefing room, and to suggest that we as the United States are killing innocent people is just absurd and very offensive.

Q: Do you know how many we have since the start of the war?

MS. PERINO: How many — we are going after the enemy, Helen. To the extent that any innocent Iraqis have been killed, we have expressed regret for it.

Q :Well, regret it doesn’t bring back a life.

MS. PERINO: Helen, we are in a war zone, and our military works extremely hard to make sure that everyone has the opportunity for liberty and freedom and democracy, and that is exactly what they’re doing.

Q (off mike): — Oh, regret. It doesn’t bring back a life.

MS. PERINO: I’m going to move on.

I would say that Thomas is a disgrace to her profession, but it was their choice to put her on the front row in these gaggles. It’s therefore their call whether she’s a disgrace or not, and if they think she is they’ll move her off the front row.

They haven’t.

The Washington Times is also reporting on the exchange. Video is here.

Update: Here’s the exchange. Based on Perino’s tone, you could reasonably assume that she’s talking to a child. The pity is that she is.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Dana Owned Thomas and Thomas is so old and feeble, she never even saw it coming! Helen, it is time to retire to the nearest pasture. You are irrelevant in today’s world and most Americans do not even know who you are. Retire, already – you over 80 years old!

Neocon Peg on November 30, 2007 at 11:37 PM

How old is that senile harpy? Years ago 60 Minutes did a profile of her and I swear they said she’d been covering the White House since Hoover or FDR.

Travis Bickle on December 1, 2007 at 12:03 AM

“Helen… you are a stupid b__ch… Next question.”

D2Boston on December 1, 2007 at 12:05 AM

Note to self: Add Helen Thomas to ‘Please Hurry Up and Die’ list with Jimmy Carter, et al.

Teddy on December 1, 2007 at 12:08 AM

Helen Thomas is a doddering old muppet.

thareb on December 1, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Q [Thomas] (off mike): Why should we depend on him?
MS. PERINO: What?
Q (off mike): — You mean how many more people we kill?
MS. PERINO: What?
Q: Do you know how many we have since the start of the war?
MS. PERINO:What?.
Q :Well, regret it doesn’t bring back a life.
MS. PERINO:WHAT?
Q (off mike): — Oh, regret. It doesn’t bring back a life.
BAM
MS. PERINO: PERINO 3:16 say I just whooped you’re a$$!

ahhh i can dream cant I

Mojack420 on December 1, 2007 at 12:48 AM

Owned

aclark on December 1, 2007 at 2:08 AM

Dana….*sigh*

gator70 on December 1, 2007 at 2:15 AM

It is the GOPs fault for refusing to identify her, and reporters like her, as enemy sympathizers.

Halley on December 1, 2007 at 2:45 AM

I say get rid of Helen and jam Jessica Simpson up there for a new reality show idea.

Metro on December 1, 2007 at 3:06 AM

gaggle

|ˈgagəl|
noun
a flock of geese.

• informal a disorderly or noisy group of people : the gaggle of reporters and photographers that dogged his every step.

ORIGIN Middle English (as a verb): imitative of the noise that a goose makes; compare with Dutch gaggelen and German gackern.

Gaggles.

I say again, accurately named.

Frozen Tex on November 30, 2007 at 6:54 PM

Accurately called, sir. Helen is chief squawker.

Topsecretk9 on December 1, 2007 at 3:14 AM

Well, Tony did

Q The United States is not that helpless. It could have stopped the bombardment of Lebanon. We have that much control with the Israelis.

MR. SNOW: I don’t think so, Helen.

Q We have gone for collective punishment against all of Lebanon and Palestine.

MR. SNOW: What’s interesting, Helen —

Q And this is what’s happening, and that’s the perception of the United States.

MR. SNOW: Well, thank you for the Hezbollah view, but I would encourage you

Topsecretk9 on December 1, 2007 at 3:17 AM

Metro on December 1, 2007 at 3:06 AM

I nominate myself to do the honors.

TheSitRep on December 1, 2007 at 3:50 AM

The respect we give old folks is not for their ability to cheat death but that they have become wise and thoughtful.

TheSitRep on November 30, 2007 at 8:06 PM

“Do not confuse age with wisdom” – Fortune cookie philosophy.

Actually, I still think Helen Thomas is really Bill Moyers in drag. Anyone ever see them together?

Texas Nick 77 on December 1, 2007 at 4:20 AM

Comedy gold!

Aylios on December 1, 2007 at 4:54 AM

its not senility, its just a slow drawn out version of the democrat agenda. They must hang a Lost War ribbon on Bush before the next election. And if we are still in Iraq and if a Democrat becomes President, they will listen to the same commanders on the ground as Bush is now. Its a show.

malkinmania on December 1, 2007 at 6:13 AM

Pinkybigglesworth? Is that you?

CyberCipher on November 30, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Just outta curiousity, did bigpink withdraw, or was he hammered?

soundingboard on December 1, 2007 at 7:14 AM

Helen Thomas was the catalyst for the great invention known as an ugly stick. She obviously needs another beating. What a useless bag of shit.

roninacreage on November 30, 2007 at 10:20 PM

Not just one stick.
An old growth forest of ugly trees.

soundingboard on December 1, 2007 at 7:22 AM

Helen appears to have started her own row. Ms. Dana Perino handled the situation with a great degree of finesse and professionalism.

The Times response does not actually reflect the interaction. Talking to Ms. Thomas in a childish manner began after Ms. Thomas began acting like a spoiled brat.

MSGTAS on December 1, 2007 at 7:58 AM

Actually Tony Snow got out a pretty good zinger against HT, although instead of treating her like a child he alluded to terrorists:

At the July 18, 2006 White House press briefing, Thomas remarked, “The United States is not that helpless. It could have stopped the bombardment of Lebanon. We have that much control with the Israelis…we have gone for collective punishment against all of Lebanon and Palestine.” Press Secretary Tony Snow responded, “Thank you for the Hezbollah view.”

Thomas is an Arab-American (born to Lebanese parents, in Detroit). That part of her bio clearly informs her opinions on Middle East foreign policy.

Buy Danish on December 1, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Helen Thomas is like the Elk’s head on the wall of a frat house. Yes it is old, ugly and dusty but it is a tradition
to have it there.

RobCon on December 1, 2007 at 8:56 AM

abinitioadinfinitum

Very cool website you have.

RobCon on December 1, 2007 at 9:01 AM

I wish she’d please retire so I could safely buy and watch an HDTV.

saint kansas on November 30, 2007 at 8:14 PM

OK, now that’s funny!

I watched the republican YouTube debate the other night in hi-def and it wasn’t pretty. A bunch of pasty-faced old white guys in vivid hi-def is not recommended. I could not figure out what was wrong with Thompson’s and McCain’s faces – their skin had a weird pulpy look. Very distracting. What’s-his-name – Romney – looked Hollywood good (damn his eyes). I have to assume he has a make-up artist, because it was very Ken-like.

I shudder to think of viewing Helen Thomas in hi-def. Thanks for the warning, saint kansas, I would not have thought of it until it was too late. (!)

Redhead Infidel on December 1, 2007 at 9:44 AM

Poised vs. poisoned

That girl is a class act. Keep up the good work, Dana P.!

leavenedbread on December 1, 2007 at 10:10 AM

I’m not one to call names (under normal circumstances), but…

Helen the Hag is a God-ugly, shriveled old shrew.

If I were Miss Dana I would have thrown that cup of coffee into the shrew’s face, praying she would melt!

I’M MELTING….
I’M MELTING

SouthernPride on December 1, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Metro on December 1, 2007 at 3:06 AM

Hmm, put Jessica Simpson, Kellie Pickler, and that Miss Teen South Carolina chick in the front row and see who can ask the most brain-dead questions. Now that’s entertainment.

Lone Star on December 1, 2007 at 10:17 AM

That could not have been handled any better.

Just when you think dignity is no longer an attribute of our culture, we witness grace and honor being bestowed on a clearly disturbed and unfit person in the public limelight.

Hening on December 1, 2007 at 10:36 AM

to have it there.

RobCon on December 1, 2007 at 8:56 AM

True, but no one talks to the elk’s head. Well not when they’re sober anyway.

Oldnuke on December 1, 2007 at 10:39 AM

Well this is the Internet after all…

Wikipedia on pwned

Dan S. on November 30, 2007 at 11:11 PM

Yeah, I know what it means. It’s amusing, though, that this alternate spelling has become so popular now when it was a typo originally (taking the QWERTY keyboard layout into consideration).

*shrugs*

eanax on December 1, 2007 at 10:49 AM

Q. What is the one thing that has permitted Helen Thomas to stay seated in the front row of the White House press briefings for all these years considering that she probably has to use a walker and park it at the front door?
A. Depends!

Schmo on December 1, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Don’t know why we have to put up with this cr#p.

The Press Secretary should revoke the credentials of those who harangue, make speeches, insult the President or his Cabinet, etc. That would make room for real “reporters”…that is, if there are any of those left…who could ask meaningful, intelligent questions designed to illuminate the issues of the day.

If she were doing this to a Clinton, you can bet she’d mysteriously disappear fast!

landlines on December 1, 2007 at 11:03 AM

Helen Thomas’ seating position represents the extreme lack of respect and comical attitude the heavily biased liberal main stream media has for any Republican President.

To bad the media doesn’t have any more respect than that for Americans either.

Speakup on December 1, 2007 at 11:04 AM

It chaps my butt that this administration won’t move her off the front row, take the criticism and be done with it. Too PC or too wuss, take your pick.

petefrt on December 1, 2007 at 11:06 AM

Thomas is there just to make the crankleft look bad, mad and sad.

Asking questions a 3rd grader would be mocked for:

By why do people haff to die in wars?”

What a prunish maroon.

Dana P. was authoritative, concise and not bad on the eyes, either.

profitsbeard on December 1, 2007 at 11:26 AM

I likes me some Dana Perino.

CP on December 1, 2007 at 11:30 AM

She should’ve been thrown out of the room in Reagans’ days. On the other hand, if the best MSM creatures are put in the front row, it shows what moronic, incomopetent creatures they are. Also, what are the rest of them like mentally if she represents the best, whether or not she is put there as an afront to Bush? A reasonable and prudent person would think the MSM people are truly the worst in the country.

countywolf on December 1, 2007 at 11:54 AM

[Thomas] (off mike):
I’ll get you my pretty, and your little dog too!

RobCon on November 30, 2007 at 8:22 PM

Now that’s funny.

I understand that the press corps decides the seating and even who should be given a seat at all at the press conferences, but why does any press secretary ever call on her?

student on December 1, 2007 at 12:42 PM

The White House needs to set age limits on the press corp, let’s see maybe…85…now someone show Helen the door please. She’s long out lived her usefulness as a reporter, if she ever had any.

oldernslower on December 1, 2007 at 1:30 PM

That’s what a lifetime of avoiding icky substances will do for ya. I don’t think it’s a good trade-off. :-)

baldilocks on December 1, 2007 at 2:06 PM

I likes me some Dana Perino.

CP on December 1, 2007 at 11:30 AM

Yeah, great picture. Is she always that hot lovely?

Jaibones on December 1, 2007 at 2:10 PM

Yeah, great picture. Is she always that lovely?

I hate to comment on married women, but the answer to that question is a resounding affirmative.

Spirit of 1776 on December 1, 2007 at 2:17 PM

The fruit cup comment was M-O-N-E-Y! She probably has to have someone feed it to her.

My guess for Helen is that she is reading from a card. Nobody can ask that many stupid questions without help.

The WH should have the right to not seat her at all. She never asks any questions of any consequence. Maybe she should try to get an interview with AQ and she how much respect they give her since she is carrying their water.

What a frickin tool oops Troll

jdsmith0021 on December 1, 2007 at 2:28 PM

I’m waiting for Helen to invoke the “Bush took away our civil liberties” card so Dana can exercise maximum ownage on the hag.

Black Adam on December 1, 2007 at 6:10 PM

Won’t somebody explain to the old bat that we live in a republic, not a direct democracy? My only critique of the beautiful and talented press secretary is that she passed up a wonderful civics “teachable moment,” as it is called one of the other “oldest professions.”

smellthecoffee on December 1, 2007 at 7:43 PM

I see a future for Dana at Fox News. Brains and beauty. She’ll fit in perfectly.

roninacreage on December 1, 2007 at 8:57 PM

Helen, Wicked Witch of the West and
Dana, Good Witch of the North

RobCon on December 1, 2007 at 10:40 PM

Helen sounds like she is hooked up to life support! Do they bring her in on a gurney or what?

JellyToast on December 1, 2007 at 11:47 PM

Her age is the one reason I would show Helen Thomas any respect.

The Race Card on November 30, 2007 at 7:38 PM

But not all people do. Some just become older idiotic A-hole-ish versions of themselves.

The trick is to learn how to spot an old A-hole.

TheSitRep on November 30, 2007 at 8:06 PM

Respect is earned at any age.

Wade on November 30, 2007 at 8:31 PM

That’s my default position until it’s proven that the older person doesn’t deserve it–like my maternal grandmother. From her I discovered that mean, arrogant, obnoxious, nutcases become mean, arrogant, obnoxious, old nutcases, if they live long enough. And Helen Thomas proves this also.

I agree with whoever said that the male spokesmen couldn’t have done this without looking like bullies. However, I disagree that Ms. Perrino the best of the four. That honor goes to Ari Fleisher.

baldilocks on November 30, 2007 at 10:58 PM

Sittin on my butt, I stand corrected.

The Race Card on December 2, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Ms. Perino is being friendly, fair, and firm in her exchange with a revered liberal journalistan old hag who looks like a piece of beef jerky found in the bottom of your boot after a ten mile hike, Ms. Thomas, who has nothing of substance to say.
Randy

williars on November 30, 2007 at 6:59 PM

…a little addition….

I believe she was moved to the back of the bus early on in the Bush administration when she left whatever rag she wrote for.

The lefty drive-by media had a cow, and raised hell until the cow was moved back to the front.

91Veteran on December 2, 2007 at 2:08 AM

Helen Thomas is SO HOT!!! I have visions of her and I walking down the beach, hand in hand, the surf pounding on the shore…… OH HELEN. How long must I wait for your tender caress?

pistolero on November 30, 2007 at 7:42 PM

…are Speedo’s and thongs involved?

91Veteran on December 2, 2007 at 2:13 AM

I still don’t understand why Perino is flashing the Vulcan greeting in that pic on the home page.

greggish on December 2, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Ann Coulter has been quoted as saying that she would love to be Press Secretary for the remainder of the Bush presidency. Just imagine how Ann would deal with Helen – frightening.

docdave on December 2, 2007 at 1:43 PM

Helen will rot in he11. If… someone can get her a bath. Currently she stinks too bad for the folks in he11 to let her in. Let’s take donations to get Helen a bath.

Griz on December 2, 2007 at 3:00 PM

docdave: I concur.

I don’t miss Ari anymore…I think I’ll watch more press conferences now.

Christine on December 2, 2007 at 3:01 PM

greggish on December 2, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Proper reverence when in the presence of T’Pau. ‘Nuff said.

Captain Scarlet on December 2, 2007 at 7:03 PM

I’m not afraid to admit it: I think I feel about Dana the way my late dad felt about Elizabeth Montgomery (we certainly weren’t watching ‘Bewitched’ for the plot, kids).

I live in Colorado. She’s from Colorado. If I ever met her, I’d have to paraphrase Paul Reiser, who once said about that glance men exchange in passing with beautiful women that says, “So what you’re saying is, if I weren’t married, and you weren’t married and nothing in this universe is as we know it, you’re saying I’d have a shot, right??”

Can’t think of a “Dana” song, but singing her name to Ritchie Valens “Donna” comes to mind:

“Ohhhh, Dayyyy-na. Oh, Dayyyy-na. Oh…(etc)”

Captain Scarlet on December 2, 2007 at 7:09 PM

I think it’s great that Helen Thomas and her big, fat, lefty, anti-American mouth is smack dab in the front row of the White House press room. It helps remind us exactly what the media are and where they are coming from. This way they undermine their own credibility every day.

Tantor on December 3, 2007 at 2:29 AM

The face of liberals…helen t….dennis k…jackass murtha…just to name a few…How can anyone associate with a lib dem…

areseaoh on December 3, 2007 at 12:36 PM

docdave on December 2, 2007 at 1:43 PM

I’m thinking AC would garrotte Helen right in the press room, in front of a cowering, blubbering David Gregory.

Jaibones on December 3, 2007 at 8:13 PM

Jaibones on December 3, 2007 at 8:13 PM

With either Helen’s or Gregory’s own support hose.

91Veteran on December 4, 2007 at 12:51 AM

Why is she still in the White House?

Tim Burton on December 4, 2007 at 9:22 AM