Breaking: Man takes hostages at Clinton’s NH campaign office; Update: Local paper names suspect, says earlier suspect was misidentified; Update: Last hostage released, suspect in custody

posted at 2:17 pm on November 30, 2007 by Bryan

Going on right now in Rochester, NH. Clinton wasn’t at the office or even in the state. She’s in Virginia today. The man has what appears to be a bomb strapped to his chest.

An armed man has taken two campaign workers hostage at the Hillary Clinton campaign office in Rochester, police said.

Officials with the campaign confirmed that there were two workers taken hostage in the office on 28 North Main St.. A woman and her baby told workers at a neighboring business that she was released by the hostage-taker.

“A young woman with a 6-month or 8-month-old infant came rushing into the store just in tears, and she said, ‘You need to call 911. A man has just walked into the Clinton office, opened his coat and showed us a bomb strapped to his chest with duct tape,’” witness Lettie Tzizik said.

There are several police officers positioned across the street from the office, crouched down behind cruisers with guns drawn, according to a reported at the scene.

Update (AP): MSNBC says the guy asked to speak to Hillary.

Update (AP): As of 3:05, WMUR claims that one of the hostages was let go. I’m not sure if he’s referring to one of the earlier hostages or one of the remaining two. Sounded like the latter.

Update (AP): WMUR is a little unsure too but they now think both of the remaining hostages have been released. They’re trying to confirm that everyone’s out.

Update (AP): Surprise — he has issues. “The suspect was a well-known local man with history of emotional issues who told his son to watch the news, a well-placed law enforcement source told ABC News’ Pierre Thomas.” Bill Shaheen, Hillary’s NH co-chair, says “We’ve had no security issues, and I’m not even sure this is a threat to her, to my knowledge.”

Update (AP): I’m not going to repeat the name until it’s confirmed but Carl Cameron’s interviewing a kid on Fox who says the suspect is a friend of the family and that the guy’s been having mental problems lately, allegedly complaining that the government is planting bugs in his head.

Update (AP): All right, it looks like the suspect is confirmed as [deleted]. HuffPo’s putting together a dossier on him, doubtless hoping against hope that something turns up to suggest he’s a conservative. A friend of [deleted]‘s suggested a few minutes ago on Fox that he was paranoid, believing that there was some conspiracy of people out to get him.

The “bomb” appears to be road flares.

Update (AP): The cops are giving a press conference and insisting that it’s still a hostage situation — although they won’t confirm that there are still people inside.

Update (AP): Someone’s been burned because MSNBC is reporting that the suspect is someone other than the person I mentioned above. I removed the name and the link to HuffPo; I’ll update again when we know for sure.

Update (AP): WMUR is saying now that there are still two hostages inside. There’s also something about the suspect having been distraught from a divorce and drinking for hours.

Update (AP): I’m guessing it’s MSNBC that’s been burned and that the original suspect is the correct one because they haven’t repeated the name of the second suspect for awhile now. Smells like a climbdown. Drudge had better hope they’re wrong because he’s got the first suspect’s name at the top of the Report right now.

Update (AP): As of 5:38, it looks like another hostage has been released.

Update (AP): Looks like it’s MSNBC 1, Fox/Drudge 0. Foster’s Daily Democrat says the second suspect is the correct one.

Update (AP): And Fox is doubling down. They’re still going with the first suspect. Quite a subplot.

Update (AP): Fox is backing off the earlier suspect’s name now and saying authorities are naming the second guy. I still won’t print it here until we have a little more confidence, but the second suspect is known to use aliases. Could he and the first suspect be the same guy?

Update (AP): Whoever he is, the cops have him in custody now.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Thoughts and prayers.

sunny on November 30, 2007 at 2:18 PM

I’ll pray for a peaceful resolution. Regardless of party affiliation, nobody in that office deserves to be hurt or killed.

My comment from the other thread. It still stands.

Mindcrime on November 30, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Is it wrong that I react to this like a Truther, in that my first thought is that we can’t dismiss the possibility that this is orchestrated to distract from the debate plants that, even though they’re the fault of CNN, reflect poorly on the Dems? I’m sorry, and yes, I hope no one gets hurt, etc. But the dishonesty of Hillary and the Clintons in general leads me to immediately “question the timing”.

RightWinged on November 30, 2007 at 2:20 PM

I hope this ends peacefully too.

Canadian Infidel on November 30, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Please, with all due respect, don’t be stupid.

Michelle on November 30, 2007 at 2:21 PM

I hope this ends well, with no one hurt.

Slublog on November 30, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Guys, I’d put a lid on the kind wishes; no, I don’t wish any ill on them, but mark my words, there will be some kind of GOP link, maybe the guy voted Republican once, and they will be beating us about the head and shoulders with this, our 2nd amendment rights will probably be called into question; Hillary is going to turn this into a moral authority card…see how much the right hates me, they tried to blow up my office. Grab the ankles and wait for it; it all goes political once the initial shock wears off.

austinnelly on November 30, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Mindcrime on November 30, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Exactly. Well put.

Defense Guy on November 30, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Man in his 40′s with salt and pepper colored hair per channel 9 WMUR

sunny on November 30, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Safety first, politics after.

Speakup on November 30, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Megyn Kelly just said that they’re told there are two hostages, and the hostage taker is asking to speak to Hillary. Dean just cancelled Hillary’s speech.

And how about we just stick to the facts right now, and leave the speculation for later? This is the time to act like adults. We will all–especially Michelle–be judged by the dumbest comments in this thread.

ReubenJCogburn on November 30, 2007 at 2:24 PM

Guys, I’d put a lid on the kind wishes

Shut up

sunny on November 30, 2007 at 2:24 PM

Fox is reporting that the perp showed a bomb strapped to his waist. JUST SPECULATION HERE….this is a Islamic MO. IF it turns out to me a Islamic linked individual, this might, ironicly, help the Republicans in the general, and give the Dems fits as to how to respond visa vi the “war on terror”.

P. James Moriarty on November 30, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Safety first, politics after.

Yes, we believe that; they don’t. This will be seen as an opportunity. Katrina was bad; they’ll have field day with this. I hope this will end peacefully but going into a national figures office with a bomb does not bode well for peaceful endings.

austinnelly on November 30, 2007 at 2:26 PM

this kinda thing isn’t good for anyone. pray for release and surrender.

WhoKnew on November 30, 2007 at 2:26 PM

All the more reason to make it clear that we hope this is resolved peacefully with no one getting hurt. Of course the media and the nutroots will try to paint us all with a broad brush should this guy turn out to be a conservative but we know those comparisons are false and that’s all the matters.

Benaiah on November 30, 2007 at 2:26 PM

austinnelly on November 30, 2007 at 2:23 PM

I, frankly, don’t give a damn what Clinton may say in the future about this. I care that these people get home safely to their families this evening.

amerpundit on November 30, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Hope hostages get out safe.
Hope perp is locked up afterwards,for a long time.
Once that is done, we can wait and watch how the Beast will use this to her advantage.

bbz123 on November 30, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Folks, the ban hammer is out and ready to be wielded. I won’t think twice about using it.

Bryan on November 30, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Shut up

Get bent. You can say all the nice things you want, but they won’t remember it when it goes political; that’s my whole point.

austinnelly on November 30, 2007 at 2:27 PM

10 bucks says the media finds some way to blame this on republicans

triple on November 30, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Yes, we believe that; they don’t.

And they have their own consciences to deal with as a result. I would rather err on the side of compassion.

Slublog on November 30, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Holy Hannah! I dunno if someone cooked this up as a distraction. Truth be told, I doub it…but I could hardly blame most people for thinking this sounds a little suspicious.

This is not the kind of drama we need right now (duh!). This dude’s got a bomb strapped to his chest, then my only hope is that everyone makes it out of there alive.

gryphon202 on November 30, 2007 at 2:28 PM

and that’s all the matters

All THAT matters

I wish we could go back and edit our messages.

Benaiah on November 30, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Pretty sure it’s not just Middle Eastern terrorists who strap bombs to their chests… and how many do you know of that are middle-aged, have salt and pepper hair, and then want to talk politics?

Vizzini on November 30, 2007 at 2:28 PM

ditto

WhoKnew on November 30, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Lord protect the hostages and the cops and may this end peacefully.

On the other hand, could this be another plant? He says he wants to talk to Hillary.

Tony737 on November 30, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Yes, we believe that; they don’t.

We can fight their politics best by not stooping to their level.

There will be plenty of time later after those endangered are saved, safety first, politics after.

Speakup on November 30, 2007 at 2:29 PM

I think the thing to remember at times like this is that humanity should always trump politics.

Defense Guy on November 30, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Here, here.

That’s somebodies family in there. Right now, lets hope the Rochester PD can resolve this thing safely.

John on November 30, 2007 at 2:30 PM

wait wait… this guy wants to actually speak to Hillary. I think he may truely be nuts.

seriously though, prayers to those involved and get this guy squared away safely….

johnnyU on November 30, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Please, with all due respect, don’t be stupid.

Michelle on November 30, 2007 at 2:21 PM

I can appreciate your position, if that was directed at me, and feel free to delete my comment if you deem it necessary…. but I’ll repeat that I hope for a positive outcome like the rest… But the increasingly shameful, and downright evil (what else do you call playing politics with the lives of the troops?), behavior of the Clintons and Hillary’s campaign in particular forces, me to approach this with at least a bit of Trutherish, back of my mind “questioning”.

RightWinged on November 30, 2007 at 2:31 PM

There’s a time and place for anti-Hillary comments. This ain’t it. Here’s hoping everyone comes out of this unharmed.

Damian P. on November 30, 2007 at 2:33 PM

RightWinged on November 30, 2007 at 2:31 PM

One group of people in this country need to not be conspiratorial freaks. I prefer to be part of that group. Unless you have something to back this belief up, I’d not go wandering down that road.

lorien1973 on November 30, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Most of these satellite offices are manned by college students. We could be looking at 19 to 22 years old being in there. Thoughts and prayers for a peaceful ending, no matter their age though.

Sue on November 30, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Agreed that the the person who is to blame for this is the hostage taker. Playing politics with this isnt right

William Amos on November 30, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Lets hope this gets resolved without issue, and they can talk this nutbar down before he hurts himself or someone else.

Bad Candy on November 30, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Agree with RW, let’s not be like the lefties who hope for our Troops to die in Iraq for political reasons. But I think (and pray) this’ll turn out to be a lone wacko with a fake bomb and it’ll all be forgeotten in a few weeks.

God bless the hostages and the SWAT team.

Tony737 on November 30, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Bryan on November 30, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Ban me if I’m saying something banworthy… I’d just point out that I’m not Kos-style wishing ill on anyone by any means, just expressing the suspicious feeling the Clinton camp has forced me to have over anything involved with their campaign.

RightWinged on November 30, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Barack Obama’s office is two doors down from Hillary’s, which explains that office’s evacuation.

Vizzini on November 30, 2007 at 2:36 PM

Of course everyone, including me wants everyone to come out both alive and unhurt. But that’s not going to stop me from wondering what the fallout is going to be given various scenarios. As more facts come out, various specualtions will be proven right or wrong, but the PC police on either side of the isle will not stop me from wondering what’s up with this situation.

P. James Moriarty on November 30, 2007 at 2:36 PM

I believe most of us are tempted to express our first-thought trutheroid reflex. I think we should all suppress that reflex unless/until the leftists say something stupid first that we can respond to.

Speculation is human nature. We suffer trauma, we wonder why. That’s okay. We’re not a roundtable here, though; think before you type.

gryphon202 on November 30, 2007 at 2:38 PM

Look its more than likely this kook has his own agenda. it could have easily been a republican office he would walk into.

This is an unstable individual and trying to hold others guilty for his actions is insane in itself

William Amos on November 30, 2007 at 2:39 PM

RightWinged on November 30, 2007 at 2:35 PM

I don’t trust the Clintons any more than you do, but this isn’t the time or the place for expressing that. Take it somewhere else.

Bryan on November 30, 2007 at 2:39 PM

I got a C-Note that says it’s a democrat that’s holding them… I guess they’re taking ques from the jihadis… if no one listens, blow them up.

Kaptain Amerika on November 30, 2007 at 2:39 PM

P. James Moriarty

I think the point most are trying to make here is that perhaps NOW isn’t the time for such thoughts as NOW we should be hoping and praying that no one is hurt. THEN we can learn more about the situation and speculate.

Benaiah on November 30, 2007 at 2:40 PM

I agree with Austinnelly.. The Clintons need a 9/11 of their own to bail out a flagging campaign. No matter what the circumstances you can bet there are people in her offices planning on how to use this to their advantage.
As sick as it sounds, that’s what those people do.

That said, I live about five miles away and these hostages could be people I go to church with or that my wife works with, or parents of my child’s classmates..

madmonaco on November 30, 2007 at 2:40 PM

Hmmm, could be a Jihadi, could be a right-wing millitia member, who knows. The implications of the possibillities are legion.

P. James Moriarty on November 30, 2007 at 2:41 PM

Benaiah on November 30, 2007 at 2:40 PM

I will think what I want, when I want. No one on either side of the isle has the duty or right to tell me or anyone else what to think.

P. James Moriarty on November 30, 2007 at 2:42 PM

RightWinged on November 30, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Ron Paul just called and said you’re an idiot. Finally he’s right about something.

Best wishes to those caught up in this terrible situation.

Drew on November 30, 2007 at 2:42 PM

I wish we could go back and edit our messages.

This is not Congress where one can revise and extend his remarks. That is why we all need to be serious until this is resolved. I hope it ends well.

Valiant on November 30, 2007 at 2:43 PM

Wanting to talk to Clinton, any bets that this is a nutroots wacko upset over her war votes?

SouthernPride on November 30, 2007 at 2:44 PM

To all those speculating, it could just as easily be someone angry about the war, or the ethical treatment of animals or the environment or his girlfriend just broke up with him – the basic premise here is the person is mentally troubled, possibly violent, regardless of political ideology.

My chief concern is the police handle it and everyone remains safe. I’ll crow about what it means later.

Topsecretk9 on November 30, 2007 at 2:44 PM

RightWinged on November 30, 2007 at 2:20 PM

No offense, but yes, it is wrong. The most disgusting thing I ever heard a Truther say is what Sheen said his first thoughts were when the Towers fell.

If you want to speculate later after this is all over, the fine. But you’re mind is a little spoiled if those are your first thoughts while this is still breaking.

austinnelly on November 30, 2007 at 2:27 PM

So what? If anyone is wishing the hostages well purely for political reasons, then they should get bent.

The whole point of wishing for a good outcome has nothing to do with politics.

Please, keep those out of this thread. You may be 100% correct, but it’s completely irrelevant here.

Esthier on November 30, 2007 at 2:45 PM

P. James Moriarty on November 30, 2007 at 2:42 PM

We’re all free to speculate all we want in private. That doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to blurt out every stupid idea that comes to mind. Grow the f— up–you sound like a 2-year-old. This isn’t about YOU.

ReubenJCogburn on November 30, 2007 at 2:45 PM

P. James Moriarty

Except that two board moderators have now stepped in to ask us to keep our comments respectful. They have the right to remove your comments or you if they deem it necessary. So how about showing a little respect and leaving the other stuff for another time.

Benaiah on November 30, 2007 at 2:46 PM

Good grief. Can we please remember that anything posted here reflects on the owner/operator of this site and have some respect for that?

Slublog on November 30, 2007 at 2:47 PM

P. James Moriarty

Not on our bandwidth, not when we find it offensive. Take it somewhere else.

Bryan on November 30, 2007 at 2:48 PM

You forgot the neener, neener.

Did you stick out your tongue at the monitor afterwards?

reaganaut on November 30, 2007 at 2:48 PM

The evacuations at other Democratic campaigns seem too overcautious. My prayers go out to the hostages and those trying to save them.

infidel on November 30, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Knee jerk snark, in which I am susceptable to, needs to be moderated by the commenter. Can be fun in less serious circumstances, totally inappropriate concerning this. Again, hoping for a good resolution.

captivated_dem on November 30, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Any law enforcement people here?

Do you let someone like this talk to the person he’s requesting? I can think of reasons on both sides but not sure what police policy is, if there is policy.

sunny on November 30, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Is there any chance we can hold off on wild accusations until this gets resolved?

Bad Candy on November 30, 2007 at 2:48 PM

ReubenJCogburn on November 30, 2007 at 2:45 PM

I didn’t say it was about me, it’s about folks like you trying to shut down freedom of expression. Other than that I might point out that your post is fowl-mouthed tripe.

P. James Moriarty on November 30, 2007 at 2:48 PM

While there are a lot of things this could be, what we know it is is at least two innocent people being held hostage by someone who’s probably way off his meds.

Yes, politics being involved this will be twisted into all kinds of shapes no matter the outcome. Those battles can and will be fought later.

For now, let all the good people make it home safe and well.

KCSteve on November 30, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Slublog on November 30, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Sometimes I get the feeling it’s a herd of spoof trolls.

Topsecretk9 on November 30, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Well, we have plenty of time for speculation after this thing is over.

Prayers for those involved.

conservnut on November 30, 2007 at 2:49 PM

infidel on November 30, 2007 at 2:48 PM

I disagree, its better to overprepare than underprepare.

Bad Candy on November 30, 2007 at 2:50 PM

I hope it is a wingnut (1+ / 0-) Recommended by: jds1978

that can be played well as an example of right-wing terrorism, and by extension, wingnuts are at the edge of violence and terrorism (which I believe to be true). It will turn off even more to the Rethug Party.

Not to mention, “is it wrong that part of me thinks that its the “same people” who took out JFK, RFK, and MLK?

I’m seeing some of the same kind of stuff appearing in this HA thread… don’t go there.

Vizzini on November 30, 2007 at 2:50 PM

P. James Moriarty on November 30, 2007 at 2:42 PM

Except Hot Air isn’t a democracy. The people who provide this as a medium have asked you to stop.

amerpundit on November 30, 2007 at 2:50 PM

There’s a certain number of Unabomber types out there that have some persecution/messiah complex going on. I’m sure the world-changing messages that he’s been repeatedly emailing (and projecting telekinetically) to Hillary just haven’t received the attention they so richly deserve, so he must take dramatic action—our very future depends on it.

jdpaz on November 30, 2007 at 2:50 PM

Will be waiting to see how once this is ended it gets played out.

I’ll save my other comments until after the hostages are safe.

Mojack420 on November 30, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Right. And the time to sort all that out is after the innocents are safe and the perp is in custody. Right now, that’s all I’m worried about.

Pablo on November 30, 2007 at 2:51 PM

First off, I hope this situation ends with all people involved safe and well and home tonight with the exception of one who should be in jail when all is returned to normal.

Second, have we learned anything about this guy? I figure he is one of 4 things:
1). Insane anti-war activist going to extreme means to make a political point about Hillary’s voting for the war etc.
2). Insane right wing idiot who has lost grip on reality and is attempting to assasinate Hillary Clinton.
3). An islamic jihadist.
4). Someone who is just plain crazy and forgot to take his meds this morning.

Again, I hope this is all resolved peacefully with nobody getting hurt period. My mind just wanders into the area of “who is doing this?”

For anybody who thinks that this is a campaign ploy by Hillary Clinton… please get a grip. Its not.

Zetterson on November 30, 2007 at 2:51 PM

austinnelly on November 30, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Who cares whether they remember it or not? I hold my principles because I believe that they are correct, moral and/or logical; whether they’re “popular” or whether I believe that they’ll be reciprocated or not is irrelevant. If those factors were relevant, my principles would not be principles. They’d be opportunistic tendencies, emotional reactions, etc.; i.e. things that shift with which ever way the wind is blowing.

baldilocks on November 30, 2007 at 2:51 PM

It’s at times like this I realize the real divide in America isn’t between left and right, or between Republicans and Democrats. It’s between conspirazoids and non-conspirazoids.

Damian P. on November 30, 2007 at 2:51 PM

amerpundit on November 30, 2007 at 2:50 PM

Done, no more posts from me on this thread.

P. James Moriarty on November 30, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Naturally, I hope it all turns out well and no one is hurt. Having said that, I’ll bet anyone a steak dinner this will be used by the left to smear the right.

jdawg on November 30, 2007 at 2:52 PM

P. James Moriarty on November 30, 2007 at 2:48 PM

I wish people understood that freedom of expression doesn’t apply when you are a guest in someone’s home. If you want freedom to express get your own blog. Until then, the host’s rules rule.

Sue on November 30, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Some of the comments in this thread make me weep for America. For gods sakes people! 2 innocent lives are at risk by a madman. I personally don’t CARE why he’s doing it, and I really don’t CARE what some politician may or may not do to warp this to his or her best advantage. What I DO care about are those 2 people being held hostage, and anyone else that’s in the potential blast area if this deranged individual blows.

It’s not about YOU. It’s about those 2 hostages. Let’s keep it, and our well wishes, focused please. And if you can’t, well Bambi’s mother had some pretty good advice. Take it.

wolfva on November 30, 2007 at 2:54 PM

infidel on November 30, 2007 at 2:48 PM

There is a school and several business that were evacuated as well, standard operating procedure.

Hopes and prayers to all involved

RINO_Hunter on November 30, 2007 at 2:54 PM

I hate the irresponsible way the media covers these types of events. They are providing the madman with live aerial views and intel on what the police are doing. How irresponsible can you get!

TheBigOldDog on November 30, 2007 at 2:59 PM

RINO_Hunter on November 30, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Yep, and a couple of schools are locked down, the High School being one of them. Talk about some ticked off kids.

Looks like they might be moving in, but the news actually cut away on their own so they wouldn’t give anything away, there’s a first.

reaganaut on November 30, 2007 at 2:59 PM

Prayers up. Amen.

Tru2my2 on November 30, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Last reported….John Edwards has sealed himself in his panic room and is not available for comment.

Hening on November 30, 2007 at 3:00 PM

The media is broadcasting LIVE pix of the SWAT team moving up. Hello? Media? Do ya think the bomber MIGHT have a tv on in there???

Tony737 on November 30, 2007 at 3:03 PM

reaganaut on November 30, 2007 at 2:59 PM

If he has access to the internet, he’ll know what is happening. I’m watching it live on Fox’s website right now.

Sue on November 30, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Tony737 on November 30, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Yeah, how stupid is that?

jdawg on November 30, 2007 at 3:03 PM

One released?

Vizzini on November 30, 2007 at 3:04 PM

One released?

Vizzini on November 30, 2007 at 3:04 PM

They say a woman was released

TheBigOldDog on November 30, 2007 at 3:05 PM

Ya, I was watching NECN, it’s the only news channel I get, unfortunately. Looks like they were just moving to escort another hostage that was released.

reaganaut on November 30, 2007 at 3:05 PM

One freed! Thank you God! One more to go (they think) please let them be rescued too! Amen

Tony737 on November 30, 2007 at 3:07 PM

Carl Cameron says Fox News was directly in front of the office, one woman appearing to have been released.

amerpundit on November 30, 2007 at 3:07 PM

WMUR saying both hostages released!

Valiant on November 30, 2007 at 3:10 PM

Now WMUR saying two hostages have been released, which could be all of them.

Mark Jaquith on November 30, 2007 at 3:10 PM

WMUR says two hostages have been let go. No word on the hostage taker.

amerpundit on November 30, 2007 at 3:10 PM