Video: The disappearing Hillary plant; Update: Does it matter who the questions come from?

posted at 10:12 am on November 29, 2007 by Allahpundit

Tough call for CNN on re-broadcast. Do they stick with the footage of Keith Kerr after having been de-pantsed by Bill Bennett an hour or so before? Edit out the footage? Leave it in with a graphic at the bottom of the screen disclosing his campaign affiliation? Decisions, decisions.

Here’s your answer. This is what went down at around 9:45 ET…

…and this is how it played at 1:45 on re-broadcast:

And just for giggles, here’s the edit of the various very undecided voters who got to put a question to the field. Kerr’s the only one who’s problematic because of his formal affiliation with the Clinton campaign.

Update: The debate rages in the comments as to whether it matters that known Democrats are asking the questions. As I said, it matters when they’re affiliated with a campaign and the affiliation isn’t disclosed because then you’re left to wonder (a) if they were there secretly at the campaign’s behest to try to force an issue into the other party’s nominating process for political advantage, and (b) what CNN’s motive might be in not vetting and disclosing the affiliation. All they had to do with Kerr was mention he was with the Clinton campaign.

I’m “eh” about the other ones. For instance, it wouldn’t surprise me to find that the guy whom Biden went off on at the Democratic YouTube debate over guns was a known Republican. The only vaguely dishonest thing about it is that questions from the other side typically aren’t asked to help the questioner make up his mind about whom to vote for but to try and elicit a “gotcha” by tripping the candidates up. But then that’s how the press operates too, so no wonder CNN doesn’t have a problem with it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

So, Bill, when you cath a guy in your dining room with all the fine silver in a pillow case and he says “oops, I thought I was in my house.” Are you going to send him on his way home?

Ah, but Bill sees the bigger picture. The firestorm over this isn’t going to increase if Bill calls AC a liar, in fact it might distract. But it does give AC a small favor and more importantly, Bill solidifies a position to be able to call CNN out from within their broadcasts.

Spirit of 1776 on November 29, 2007 at 6:26 PM

So cnn says, oops we missed one, and goes on there very way, legitimate still in the eyes of all those idiot undecideds. And all those leftist journalists are really nice and patriotic people I guess.

peacenprosperity on November 29, 2007 at 7:31 PM

If you are going to bill your debate as a Republican debate, it matters who asks the questions. If you are going to have known Democrat operatives ask questions, then you should disclose. As with most things it’s the intent to deceive and coverup that does the most damage. Lying to the audience is never a good plan.

I have some questions for Democrats …
I would like to ask all the Democrat candidates do they support killing a baby in the womb a day before normal birth. Or how do we withdraw from Iraq and say we aren’t going back on our word to the Iraqis and how is this good for America. Or why does expanding S-CHIP to cover people who have the means make good financial sense to government? Or, do you support freedom, liberty and a market economy? Or, (…..) I think you get the idea.

I wonder why these questions never get asked of Democrat candidates?

tarpon on November 29, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Nah, I don’t mean that. Idiot undecideds aren’t listening to Bennett. The storm isn’t going away regardless of what Bill does.

Spirit of 1776 on November 29, 2007 at 8:02 PM

Are there ANY Republicans in the Log Cabin Republicans? Or are they just an astroturf organization full of phony Republicans? That’s right, I said phony.

I’m no longer a member of Log Cabin, but I used to be. And I can assure you the members are genuine Republicans, i.e., they’re partisans. I quit the group because on some issues it’s philosophically liberal.

So I think you can fairly accuse Log Cabin of holding center-left views on some important issues, such as abortion and gay marriage. (On other issues — say, federal spending and national security — the group is as conservative as any Republican group.) But I don’t think you can fairly accuse them of being phony Republicans. The members do vote Republican, and they give money to Republican candidates.

Also, Log Cabin deserves credit for making it socially acceptable within the gay community for people to vote Republican, as one in four gays did in the 2004 presidential election.

Log Cabin might not be your best friend. But it’s not your enemy, either. And I’m certain you’d rather be governed by members of Log Cabin than by members of the Human Rights Campaign.

paul006 on November 29, 2007 at 8:06 PM

Not only is the story going to go away, there isn’t even a story per the msm. Someone noted on here somewhere that mcneil/lehrer did a segment on the debate and didn’t even mention the democrat party operatives placed in the debate by cooper and cnn.

I put that in emphasis because that is how it should be referred to and that is how Bill Bennett should have described it. We keep picking up the enemy’s weapons and handing them back. We will sell them the rope they hang us with.

peacenprosperity on November 29, 2007 at 8:23 PM

there isn’t even a story per the msm.

Just here on HA there are clips from CNN responding to it and MSNBC (Scarb) talking about it.

But I’m sure it will be swept under the carpet out there. The firestorm and the pressure is going to be from new media and talk radio. And don’t tell me that doesn’t matter, I refer to the immigration debate for ex.

Spirit of 1776 on November 29, 2007 at 8:31 PM

CNN responding to it and MSNBC (Scarb) talking about it.

cnn has to respond to it. And they are going to respond the way every leftist msm outlet responds when busted. Sorry, we missed this guy, we will do more fact checking in the future. It happens every single time and conservatives just let it slide. Well hillary is going to slide right into the White House and the country will slide right down the toilet.

peacenprosperity on November 29, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Their excuses don’t answer the primary criticism at all. The problem is the double standard for candidates depending on what party they are in. Why weren’t the Dems treated in the same manner as the Republicans were? Is it because CNN has a liberal bias? That is the issue. Actually, that’s the only issue. Their defense of their actions in forming debate questions doesn’t address this at all.

davenp35 on November 29, 2007 at 8:51 PM

Peacocks!
Sink me!
Think ye, sir,
How those feathered boys love to flaunt their tails!
Stallions!
Zounds, sir!
Hounds sir! Stags!
Of the goosie and the gander, sir
Which gender is the grander, sir
To render total candor, sir, the spendour is the male’s!
Be an example to your sex
Give your boot a dapper strap
And it’s smarter if your garter has some snap!
Cravats should be flounced about our necks
Wear a nightcap when you nap
Be bewitching with some stitching on your cap!
Now, drape your cape
And puff your cuff
Embroider those lapels!
Be the king of the beasts in pastels!
La, but someone has to strike a pose
And bear the weight of well-tailored clothes
And that is why the Lord created men
Strut, sir!
What, sir?
Roosters do!
Give a cock his comb and the hens will pale!
Bucks! Bulls!
More, sir!
Boars, sir! Rams!
Of the nanny goat and billy, sir
Whose beard is fully wooly, sir?
It’s bully for the billy for he’s willy-nilly male!
Sir, be a lion-hearted prig
Fill those pantaloons with light!
I could dangle down a spangle out of sight!
Oh, yes! Be bold, sir!
When it’s cold, slap on that wig
Draw your britches in quite tight
Even more so, and your torso will ignite
Now, smock your frock
Perfume your plume
I’ll let my waistcoat swing!
And the jungle will bow to its king!
La, but someone has to strike a pose
And bear the weight of well-tailored clothes
And that is why the Lord created men
Yes, that is why the Lord created men
Remember what we’re here for
Why we must be dressed to kill
If we have to look like Cleopatra
Then we will!
If you’re out to make a splash, cheri,
Do know your haberdashery!
Buttons, buckles, ruffles and lace
Represent the human race!
La, but someone has to strike a pose
And bear the weight of well-tailored clothes
Each species needs a sex that’s fated
To be highly decorated
That is why the Lord created men
- Percy

MB4 on November 30, 2007 at 11:01 AM

No it does not matter who the question comes from. However, if you are going to identify a person as representing a particular view; but their questions reveal them as representing something else that is the infamous salesman trick of ‘Bait and Switch’ and there are laws against that.

MSGTAS on December 1, 2007 at 8:31 AM

CNN took it upon themselves to dictate the terms of the debate by selecting obvious patsies whose purpose was to try to expose conservatives as the left portrays us. I just wish one of the candidates had had the balls to say “Screw this! I won’t be a part of this charade.”

drewas on December 1, 2007 at 2:19 PM