Video: Red State Update on last night’s debate

posted at 3:55 pm on November 29, 2007 by Bryan

Oh, don’t sit there looking surprised. You knew this was coming. These two are everywhere now, and just because they didn’t slip into last night’s debate is no excuse to think you’d been let off the hook.

As much as I hate to admit it, they do make me laugh in this one a couple of times.

Comments

Is “red state update” a joke on the red states or are these guys real? I don’t even wanna listen to the video to find out.

lorien1973 on November 29, 2007 at 4:01 PM

lorien1973 on November 29, 2007 at 4:01 PM

Joke (I hope). You can hear his accent go away (completely) when he imitates others.

amerpundit on November 29, 2007 at 4:03 PM

the video is seriously worth watching. This is one of their best.

jdog on November 29, 2007 at 4:03 PM

“If Hillary Clinton is gonna make friends with a General you can best bet it’s gonna be a gay one”

“The Bible is that big black book…The ones without Indians in it”

ROFLMAO!

TheBigOldDog on November 29, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Is “red state update” a joke on the red states or are these guys real?

These guys are clearly liberals who live in the South and are intimately familiar with conservative ideas and rhetoric. They’re what John Stewart wishes he could be…funny without being hateful.

The Apologist on November 29, 2007 at 4:09 PM

“The Bible is that big black book…The ones without Indians in it”

ROFLMAO!

TheBigOldDog on November 29, 2007 at 4:08 PM

ROFLMAO

peski on November 29, 2007 at 4:11 PM

See the happy moron,
He doesn’t give a damn!
I wish I were a moron.
My God! Perhaps I am!
– Eugenics Review, July 1929

mojo on November 29, 2007 at 4:13 PM

lol…don’t give a microphone to a gay general.

sunny on November 29, 2007 at 4:15 PM

The Apologist on November 29, 2007 at 4:09 PM

I don’t think these guys are necessarily liberals, and I actually doubt they are. For one thing, they do not seem to take themselves seriously at all, which is a big strike against the liberal theory right there.

And besides, nobody makes fun of or lampoons southerners better than other southerners. See Foxworthy, Jeff.

thirteen28 on November 29, 2007 at 4:15 PM

“and then somebody gave the gay general a microphone. Never give a gay general a microphone. He just went on and on with that gay general talk for like 14 extra gay general minutes. he just kept going on and on. I thought he was about to get everyone singing a Judy Garland singalong. This ain’t a piano bar, gay general. Sit your gay general ass down.”

My word, that was so funny, I’m still wiping away the tears from my eyes.

Matticus Finch on November 29, 2007 at 4:19 PM

White guys making fun of white guys… the only group they can make fun of.
And not lose their jobs, their friends, their right to breath….

Qzsusy on November 29, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Is “red state update” a joke on the red states or are these guys real?

The Apologist on November 29, 2007 at 4:09 PM

Hey, wait a minute. I think they’re conservatives who are playing up the “stump-tooth, potted-meat-breath” meme that the libs have of southern folks.

They also don’t give the Repubs any slack either…which makes me like them that much more.

jdpaz on November 29, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Their best yet.

BL@KBIRD on November 29, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Yikes, my “quote within a quote” didn’t come off as nicely as I’d envisioned that…in my mind.

jdpaz on November 29, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Qzsusy on November 29, 2007 at 4:20 PM

True but it is still funny and we are one of the few groups left who can still take a joke and laugh at ourselves.

TheBigOldDog on November 29, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Jackie and Dunlap I’d vote for them
‘cept Jackie supports Fred. Hey Maybe he will be Fred’s VP. Can you see him sitting down across the table from DinnerJacket or Syrian Eye doctor?

LakeRuins on November 29, 2007 at 4:28 PM

I did think Paul looked like a mortician did his makeup..

A Judy Garland sing along

Sit your gay general a$$ down..

I laughed..

Pam on November 29, 2007 at 4:34 PM

That was funny!

I’ve got relatives that are dead ringers for these guys.

techno_barbarian on November 29, 2007 at 4:38 PM

This is actually really well done. And as far as whether they are liberals or conservatives…I think there are some pretty good indications that they are not libs. A true liberal bias is quickly obvious with parody people like Colbert but these guys don’t really seem to be mocking conservatives, and show a good understanding of conservative ideas and play off that pretty well without being nasty at all. Does that sound like a liberal to you?

Patriot33 on November 29, 2007 at 4:39 PM

There is a pretty good write up on these two somewhere. I went to the same university as these two at about the same time they attended. They purport to broadcast from “Murfreesboro, Tennessee” which is where I live. I don’t think it matters whether they’re libs or cons–they’re pretty funny. Their material gets better and better.

robblefarian on November 29, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Just go to You Tube and search on Red State Update and you can see their whole body of work. It is safe to say they ain’t liberals. Watch the one where they went to Vegas.

LakeRuins on November 29, 2007 at 5:02 PM

Hey, if Fabio can get on the soapbox in support of our troops (per the post earlier in the week) then anything’s possible!

Biffstir on November 29, 2007 at 5:23 PM

LakeRuins on November 29, 2007 at 5:02 PM

Performance art would explain this away. I’m just curious. I don’t really care either way.

lorien1973 on November 29, 2007 at 5:23 PM

Q: Which stall does a gay General use?
A: Anyone he wants to.

MB4 on November 29, 2007 at 5:33 PM

The Bible is that big black book…The ones without Indians in it

Laughed out loud at that one. And again while typing this comment. ;)

CorinthianJest on November 29, 2007 at 5:39 PM

in response to the dem congressman’s staffers who were warned to get vaccinated before attending the medical units at a nascar race, they said:

….other places a democrat is unfamiliar with, like church. (might get a case of old time religion)

or wal-mart(have to get inoculated against big savings)

they are the purveyors of “..potted meat breath dobro pluckers” style discourse.

Jackie ’08, baby!

JazzBass on November 29, 2007 at 6:34 PM

That young one seems overtly Edwardsy.

TheSitRep on November 29, 2007 at 6:43 PM

lorien1973 on November 29, 2007 at 4:01 PM

I think these guys are way Hollywood. After looking at some of their stuff at http://www.travisandjonathan.com I thought they were both gay, maybe even a couple. But their bios say they’re both married (to woman).
I did get a couple of laughs from their parody of the grizzlyguy, Timothy Treadwell (who saw to it his bear friends were fedwell):
(Bears were his life, he was their lunch).

Bob Mc on November 29, 2007 at 9:15 PM

Sit yer gay ass General down LOL these guys are to much, Send ole hillary to Mars, kick in head and drag her on into the rocket, awesome, thanks Bryan

bones47 on November 29, 2007 at 10:15 PM

The Bible is that big black book…The ones without Indians in it

that was worth a giggle or two.

Travis and Jonathan’s “brokeback mountain” parody was painful in more ways than I can count, but their red state updates can be fun.

sulla on November 30, 2007 at 2:10 AM

Much better than when they first started, where you could barely hear them

Two thumbs up.

Reaps on November 30, 2007 at 9:00 AM

My word, that was so funny, I’m still wiping away the tears from my eyes.

Matticus Finch on November 29, 2007 at 4:19 PM

LMAO Me too. And I loved the part when Dunlap asked how Huckabee would get Hillary on the rocket to send her to Mars and Jackie said he’d just get Chuck Norris to kick her in the head and drag her on-board. The delicious mental image…

Redhead Infidel on November 30, 2007 at 9:25 AM

amerpundit on November 29, 2007 at 4:03 PM

I don’t think they are trying to advance any conservative or liberal agenda. I think they are just using the fodder given them to make teh funny. Whatever they are, they are Southerners. Nashville Scene did a write up on them and they are from around Murfreesboro where they purport to base their broadcasts. I’m from Tennessee (born, raised, not leaving without a fight) and I wouldn’t put up with non-Southerners making fun of me, so these guys must be real. Go to their site and check out Nascar Tips for Democrats.

Barntender on November 30, 2007 at 10:01 AM