Silky: I’ll garnish your wages to achieve universal health care

posted at 5:25 pm on November 29, 2007 by Bryan

Do these Democrats really think that they’re helping anyone by threatening to take their earnings away via the IRS? Do they thnk the American people see the IRS as anything but a necessary evil at best, and certainly not the go-between for health care?

Like Clinton (and unlike Obama), Edwards’ health-care plan would require every American to have health insurance.

But unlike Clinton, Edwards is now detailing how he would enforce his mandate.

Under the Edwards plan, when Americans file their income taxes, they would be required to submit a letter from an insurance provider confirming coverage for themselves and their dependents.

If someone did not submit proof of coverage, the Internal Revenue Service would notify a newly established regional or state-based health-care agency (which Edwards has dubbed a Health Care Market).

Those regional agencies would then evaluate whether the uninsured individual was eligible for Medicare (which covers those over 65), Medicaid (which covers the indigent), or S-CHIP (the State Children’s Health Insurance Program which targets the working poor).

If the individual was not eligible for either of those existing public programs, the regional-health care agency would enroll the individual into the lowest cost health-care plan available in that area. The lowest-cost option could be a new Medicare-like public option or a private insurance plan.

The newly covered individual would not only have access to health benefits but would also be responsible for making monthly payments with the help of a tax credit.

The exact size of the financial obligation would vary according to a person’s income (lower-income Americans would receive larger tax credits).

If a person did not meet his or her monthly financial obligation for a set period of time (perhaps a year, perhaps longer) the Edwards plan would empower the federal government to garnish an individual’s wages for purposes of collecting “back premiums with interest and collection costs.”

Obviously, when I likened Edwards’ plan to jackbooting health care, I wasn’t kidding. If anything, I was understating Silky’s totalitarian tendencies.

Comments

A man after Hugo Chavez’ heart…

Enrique on November 29, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Used to be that not having health care was just bad for your health in general.

Now if you don’t, they’re gonna get cha!

MadisonConservative on November 29, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Hey, you asked for it the other day, Bryan. At least he has the idiocy balls to say how he will enforce his mandate.

RW Wacko on November 29, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Thieves

jdkchem on November 29, 2007 at 5:29 PM

Aside from the enforcement, how is different from Mitt’s plan?

sweeper on November 29, 2007 at 5:29 PM

Un.Be.Liev.Able.

I know I shouldn’t be, but I am shocked and stunned at the idea that these ideas are even being considered, let alone supported by a measurable amount of the American people.

You expect something like this from the moonbats and commune-dwellers, but from the main frontrunners in the Presidental election?

They try this, and there will be a revolt.

JamesLee on November 29, 2007 at 5:30 PM

o yeah this will fly…

trailortrash on November 29, 2007 at 5:30 PM

Great sentence structure self

sweeper on November 29, 2007 at 5:31 PM

Wow, he seemed so innocuous and even harmless when he was just Kerry’s sunny-faced young sidekick. His true colors are coming through, and he’s a freaking Stalinist under all that hairspray!

aero on November 29, 2007 at 5:33 PM

A man after Hugo Chavez’ heart…

Enrique on November 29, 2007 at 5:28 PM

A man after Hitler’s heart. NAZIs are/were Marxist.

P. James Moriarty on November 29, 2007 at 5:33 PM

What if the person doesn’t work or is here ILLEGALY. Guess we pay for that person.

RW Wacko on November 29, 2007 at 5:33 PM

This has got to be the most surreal election in my lifetime

Keli on November 29, 2007 at 5:34 PM

What an ass!

jeanie on November 29, 2007 at 5:34 PM

actually this is exactly how Mitts plan works, you lose your exemption without proof of coverage and next year it will be fines. Providence here I come. Piss off Marxichusettes.

kiakjones on November 29, 2007 at 5:34 PM

I like my free healthcare at gunpoint best.

askheaves on November 29, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

We should be grateful for the honesty. At least he is saying how he will do it. We all know that Hillary would do the same thing but would never say it publicly.

sweeper on November 29, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Guess there’ll be a lot of people guilty of tax evasion, or failure to file.

RMCS_USN on November 29, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Essentially what happens in Canada; if you don’t apply for your discount for your low-income level, you automatically get charged full rate, and eventually deduct it from your taxes.

But hey! This takes all the worrying thought out of it for me! I’ll let the state care for me, cradle to grave! They can have all my earnings, it’s worth every penny!

Frozen Tex on November 29, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Edwards Health Care Plan for America!

jaime on November 29, 2007 at 5:41 PM

What if 12 million people don’t go along with it? Would they be considered to be “in the shadows” and would they be eligible for health care penalty amnesty?

GogglesPisano on November 29, 2007 at 5:45 PM

We will cover your health even if it kills you damnit!

Defector01 on November 29, 2007 at 5:47 PM

A man after Hitler’s heart. NAZIs are/were Marxist.

Perhaps, but Nazi analogies are the last refuge of the man with no argument.

Enrique on November 29, 2007 at 5:47 PM

Ummm… under what Federal Power in the Constitution can they do this?

They are going to forceably enroll you in some COMPANYS plan? And use the tax system to enforce it???

I could see them taxing the crap outa ya, then building a health care system for everyone… I can see that as Constitutionaly feasible… but this plan is NOT a Tax… they are spending YOUR money… not tax dollars…

Romeo13 on November 29, 2007 at 5:48 PM

How many people without healthcare don’t file? I’m taking homeless, students who are aged out of parents’ health plans, illegal aliens, idle rich who can’t be bothered, people who make their living outside the law (hookers, drug dealers, theives). His stupid idea misses the very people who are the problem, and targets people who work for a living. What a chooch.

*don’t laugh, I know a guy who is rich and lives like a bum and won’t pay for anything. Lives in his car. Sad to say, he’s a relative and no help seems to get through to him. No he’s not skitzo.

Bad Penny on November 29, 2007 at 5:50 PM

I can’t have my wages garnished.

Ummm… under what Federal Power in the Constitution can they do this?

Romeo13 on November 29, 2007 at 5:48 PM

Superior firepower trumps all.

steveegg on November 29, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Perhaps, but Nazi analogies are the last refuge of the man with no argument.

Enrique on November 29, 2007 at 5:47 PM

It is sound argument to point out that the policies and methods are the same or similar. The NAZIs (German National Soclist Party) were Socialist/Marxist, the Democraps are Socialist/Marxist, plain, simple, and provable.

P. James Moriarty on November 29, 2007 at 5:52 PM

what the hell are the Dumbs thinking?

this isn’t “Who Wants To Be The Greediest Socialist?”.

madmonkphotog on November 29, 2007 at 5:54 PM

Time to hollow out the mattress again.

Limerick on November 29, 2007 at 6:01 PM

Why isn’t this all over the news?

I can’t help but think that this would completely finish sinking silky, and cause the other marxists on the dem ticket to revise their thinking.

techno_barbarian on November 29, 2007 at 6:04 PM

That may be wishful thinking.

sweeper on November 29, 2007 at 6:06 PM

A man after Hugo Chavez’ heart…

Enrique on November 29, 2007 at 5:28 PM

May they both retire rich, insignificant, and forgotten, lest we be screwed royal.

Entelechy on November 29, 2007 at 6:10 PM

That may be wishful thinking.

sweeper on November 29, 2007 at 6:06 PM

You think that if this were blared ad nauseum on the msm outlets that it wouldn’t stir some righteous outrage from the American Public?

Not that that’ll ever happen, of course. That’s the wishful part.

techno_barbarian on November 29, 2007 at 6:10 PM

Save it for after the primaries. Don’t help them pick the strongest candidate by going after them now. Let them pick a weak loser like Kerry and then go git em after July.

Bad Penny on November 29, 2007 at 6:15 PM

The gov’t garnishes your wages now with FICA and SS.
They are going for 100%.

TheSitRep on November 29, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Has there ever been an instance when the “Scratch a liberal, and you’ll find a totalitarian underneath” maxim didn’t turn out to be absolutely dead-on? I can’t think of any myself, but lately it’s like the Dems are going out of their way to make whoever coined that phrase look like a genius.

ReubenJCogburn on November 29, 2007 at 6:36 PM

I fear that it’s even worse. I can’t confirm, but I think there is a sizable population who may agree with his madness.

sweeper on November 29, 2007 at 6:48 PM

under what Federal Power in the Constitution can they do this?
Romeo13 on November 29, 2007 at 5:48 PM

I argued this point on Crooks & Liars during the SCHIP furor.
Believe it or not, most commentors cited the Preamble of the Constitution, specifically

We the People of the United States, in Order to… promote the general Welfare…do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

as being precedent. I was flabbergasted.

SouthernDem on November 29, 2007 at 6:52 PM

This from the guy who set himself up in a S-corp so that he could pay himself in dividends rather than salary to avoid the Medicare tax.

OBQuiet on November 29, 2007 at 7:08 PM

Well, we know that Huck can beat Edwards.

BKennedy on November 29, 2007 at 7:09 PM

I guess that makes him more electable, huh?

Kini on November 29, 2007 at 7:11 PM

I’d like to think that this kind of thing might even give the looniest Edwards-luvin’ moonbats a moment’s pause.

Jackbootery is a nice word for it.

Professor Blather on November 29, 2007 at 7:20 PM

This has got to be the most surreal election in my lifetime

Keli on November 29, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Ain’t that the truth. How did it get to the point where the Republicans can offer no strong, principled candidates and the Democrats have all agreed to rush headlong into 1984?

So this is it. The political system has become so corrupted that it makes Republicans less Republican and Democrats more Democratish (not democratic).

Nosferightu on November 29, 2007 at 7:43 PM

“I can’t have my wages garnished.”

You doing an open thread for tonight’s game, Bryan?

steveegg on November 29, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Lets see, he gained his wealth how? He built his house with money from what? His haircuts are paid for thru what program? Get out of here pretty boy.

mjkazee on November 29, 2007 at 8:16 PM

sweeper on November 29, 2007 at 6:48 PM

I sincerely hope you’re wrong, sweeper. I’ll agree with you that there are more of them out there than I’d like.

But I also believe that the msm is buying it’s own bs and has no clue what the People actually think or support. I could be wrong, but the exceedingly low popularity numbers of the current congress make me hopeful.

I still have faith in the American People.

techno_barbarian on November 29, 2007 at 8:22 PM

Edwards NEW campaign slogan? WWSD! What Would Stalin Do?

Gatordoug on November 29, 2007 at 8:49 PM

RW Wacko on November 29, 2007 at 5:33 PM

we already do pay for them just now we will pay a lot more.

Mojack420 on November 29, 2007 at 9:30 PM

Edwards’s personal safety is one of the reasons he doesn’t think much about consent or liberty.

Kralizec on November 30, 2007 at 12:01 AM

This has got to be the most surreal election in my lifetime

Keli on November 29, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Where are the real candidates? Are they hiding them for later?

entagor on November 30, 2007 at 4:33 AM

Trial lawyers are such a sweet lot of people.

saved on November 30, 2007 at 4:52 AM