Quotes of the day

posted at 11:15 pm on November 29, 2007 by Allahpundit

“After 9/11, let’s be fair here, if you had been President, you’d think, Well, this fellow bin Laden just turned these three airplanes full of fuel into weapons of mass destruction, right? Arguably they were super-powerful chemical weapons. Think about it that way. So, you’re sitting there as President, you’re reeling in the aftermath of this, so, yeah, you want to go get bin Laden and do Afghanistan and all that. But you also have to say, Well, my first responsibility now is to try everything possible to make sure that this terrorist network and other terrorist networks cannot reach chemical and biological weapons or small amounts of fissile material. I’ve got to do that. That’s why I supported the Iraq thing.”

“[M]y soul will not let me.”

Comments

I’ve got a good city to run for President. I’m from Liberty.

Really, honest injun, no foolin.

ThackerAgency on November 29, 2007 at 11:21 PM

Is Rosie O’Dufus going to have to rethink her position now considering this?

91Veteran on November 29, 2007 at 11:21 PM

The man cannot get the correct number of planes right.

Kini on November 29, 2007 at 11:22 PM

Slick Willy and the Huck have more in common than most people realize.

edgehead on November 29, 2007 at 11:23 PM

Flanked and supported by movie strongman Chuck Norris, former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee told a roomful of Washington reporters Thursday that he will defend his effort to educate the children of illegal immigrants “even if it costs me the election.”

And it will, governor.

Thanks for playing.

Slublog on November 29, 2007 at 11:23 PM

Heh.

I recall a Weekly Standard article several years back that quoted Bill and several other Democrats basically threatening Sadaam Hussein way before 9/11. The gist of their statements was their belief that the Iraqi government was a threat and that the US would not allow them to threaten us or our allies.

Googling around trying to find it, but I clearly recall it.

Anyway, Bill is such a narcissist he refuses to believe anyone would doubt any lie he tells. Hell, he’s such a narcissist he believes he could tell a lie.

BacaDog on November 29, 2007 at 11:25 PM

Clinton is so self-possessed with his own popularity. He’ll say whatever the crowd wants to hear, history or previous positions be d*mned…and he’s the nation’s favorite dem. What does that say about the party.

Spirit of 1776 on November 29, 2007 at 11:26 PM

believes he could tell a lie.

darn it. should be he believes he could never tell a lie.

BacaDog on November 29, 2007 at 11:27 PM

The man cannot get the correct number of planes right.

Kini on November 29, 2007 at 11:22 PM

Aw c’mon Kini, he at least remembered who bin Laden was…

/sarc off

91Veteran on November 29, 2007 at 11:29 PM

91Veteran on November 29, 2007 at 11:29 PM

It almost seems like Clinton is jealous 911 didn’t happen on his watch.

Even if his wife gets the presidency, god forbid, his legacy is nothing more than a footnote.

Kini on November 29, 2007 at 11:36 PM

Eh, he’s never been one for the truth, yawn.

And despite my spite for him I’d still have a beer with him to discuss some of the hot ass he’s got over the years. Assuming it has been mostly hot, and not all you know, fat or old.

Also, do you need a power hungry bitch of a wife to have an open marriage or did I just grow up in the wrong generation.

And did you touch that ice cube more than once?

sunny on November 29, 2007 at 11:40 PM

sorry.. I don’t trust anything a reporter says weaving “quotes” in and out. Posts and links like this without the actual vid are meaningless.

next?

amend2 on November 29, 2007 at 11:42 PM

hmmmm, awaiting moderation.

Ut O

sunny on November 29, 2007 at 11:42 PM

With Norris citing examples of children of illegal immigrants he has helped educate through his foundation, Huckabee declared that “my soul will not let me” compromise on that stand–despite the bill’s rejection in his state senate.

Good to know.

“If Ronald Reagan were on the ballot today, the Club for Growth would be running ads against him,” Huckabee said, “because he raised taxes in California. He did what all governors have to do. He balanced the budget.”

Actually, the CFG is a Reagan supporter, IIRC.

amerpundit on November 29, 2007 at 11:42 PM

next?

amend2 on November 29, 2007 at 11:42 PM

About Huckabee? If so, he reiterated his support for education for illegal aliens last night.

amerpundit on November 29, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Huckabee appealed to the subjective nature of his soul—and not to an objective document—say, the Bible—as the reason for his plan to have the State reward and incentize bad behavior, which is contrary to the God-ordained role of government revealed in Scripture.

Governor Huckabee should understand that non-citizens in other countries are watching the USA closely. And they hear and receive the message loud and clear:

come to the USA illegally, and just wait for another round of amnesty to be given and also have your children receive in-state tuition incentives.

Bad behavior gets repeated when it is encouraged by the State.

The “rule of law” is ignored in America by Christian politicians appealing to the subjective nature of their souls.

ColtsFan on November 29, 2007 at 11:44 PM

and for the record putting links to “journalist’s” opinions in written text is passe… no one believes the written word on screen anymore.. only vids (for this decade) will do.

amend2 on November 29, 2007 at 11:44 PM

Slublog on November 29, 2007 at 11:23 PM

You beat me to it.

Huckabee-hound pounded the nails in the coffin nice and deep. Good thing to. If he got in the White House he’d start outlawing vending machines and banning trans fats and make us all get up at 0 dark 30 and do calisthenics!

TheBigOldDog on November 30, 2007 at 12:03 AM

91Veteran on November 29, 2007 at 11:29 PM

It almost seems like Clinton is jealous 911 didn’t happen on his watch.

Kini on November 29, 2007 at 11:36 PM

Wasn’t there some lib in the news sniveling about this? about it not happening on his watch?

I seem to remember Rush saying something about it.

91Veteran on November 30, 2007 at 12:08 AM

Mr. Huckabee, you are no Ronald Reagan. Educate the children of illegal aliens on your dime, not mine.

I don’t need a preacher, a father figure, or counselor either. And, no, I do not need a nutrition expert bragging every breath about the 100 lbs. you lost, and how everyone should alter their addictive habits (whether food, tobacco, or alcohol) because you find them offensive… I don’t need a teacher, social engineer, or reconstuctionist of the Constitution. Spare me your belief that I should support your concept of what it means to be a Christian.

I swear there is something in the water in Hope, AR..

24K lady on November 30, 2007 at 12:08 AM

BacaDog on November 29, 2007 at 11:25 PM

Try this. Bill wasn’t there, but Albright, Berger and Cohen were. 1998, Ohio State Town Meeting on Iraq hosted by CNN’s Judy Woodruff.

It’s really worth taking a look at, particularly since Albright and company were in the hot seat this time, indignantly (and correctly) defending an aggressive Iraq policy against race-baiting student radicals content to let Saddam’s tyranny go on.

Enjoy!

Buy Danish on November 30, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Who else thinks Huck is actually Hillary lite?
Huck is the Clinton dream opponent, he’s no different than they are, why vote for an imitation when you could vote for the original(s).

Maybe Dennis Miller could do a ashen pie hole rant for the Clenis because the appropriate words to describe an amazingly corrupt ex President escapes honest folks.

Speakup on November 30, 2007 at 12:31 AM

“*snip* …he will defend his effort to educate the children of illegal immigrants “even if it costs me the election.”

And it will, governor.

Thanks for playing.

Slublog on November 29, 2007 at 11:23 PM

I hope so.

Bad Candy on November 30, 2007 at 12:35 AM

…But you also have to say, Well, my first responsibility now is to try everything possible to make sure that this terrorist network and other terrorist networks cannot reach chemical and biological weapons or small amounts of fissile material. I’ve got to do that. That’s why I supported the Iraq thing.”

With the surge working, he might stand by his comment.

Flip-flopping in the internet world is difficult, and can get even the Clintons.

Entelechy on November 30, 2007 at 12:43 AM

I seem to remember Rush saying something about it.

91Veteran on November 30, 2007 at 12:08 AM

Just Google clinton’s jealous of 911 legacy

Kini on November 30, 2007 at 12:53 AM

The man cannot get the correct number of planes right.

I have spent many hours researching his incorrect statements, but in this case he got it right. The third plane (if you remember) crashed short of its target.

im4eagles on November 30, 2007 at 1:49 AM

Go here and read the transcript (or watch the YouTube video) of Bill Clinton explaining his attack on Iraq in 1998. One of the commentors says that he reads the first few justifications that Bill gives for the attack to a leftist without saying who gave the speech. The lefty always assumes it is Bush and rails against it. Then he reveals to the lefty that the words come from Bill Clinton and the Lefty is left bumbling. Heh

Michael in MI on November 30, 2007 at 2:05 AM

im4eagles on November 30, 2007 at 1:49 AM

That was the 4th plane. Two planes crashed into the WTC. The 3rd into the Pentagon. The 4th crashed in PA, short of its target.

So, 4 planes were turned into WMD, but one crashed short of its target.

Michael in MI on November 30, 2007 at 2:06 AM

Man, I hate it when these little Chihuahua’s compare themselves to Reagan.

What is in the water in Arkansas? They are coming out of the woodwork down there with no end in sight.

I hope Huck makes his college for illegals a cornerstone of his campaign

We will have the best educated group of tomato pickers and hotel maids in the world. Even Bloomberg’s gardener will have a degree

Citizens like the Clintons got good degrees and refused to pick tomatos but illegals will pick tomatos even if they are rocket scientists. Go figure

I am happy Clinton has decided what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is. Picking the right truth is harder than picking tomatos but Clinton is studied at Yale to prepare himself

entagor on November 30, 2007 at 3:07 AM

Q: Is it ironic that Huckabee’s “strong personal convictions” made him a star these last two weeks and reduced his chances of winning the nomination to a snowball’s chance in hell these last two days?

A: Yes, delightfully so.

For the first time I find myself genuinely grateful for you border fanatics in our party. Your molten outrage will save us from this Arkansas RINO.

The Apologist on November 30, 2007 at 3:25 AM

if it is Huckabee vs Hillary I will stay home and I may never vote Republican again…

libertytexan on November 30, 2007 at 5:11 AM

libertytexan on November 30, 2007 at 5:11 AM

When the party nominates another butt bark, there is always a more conservative third party alternative. Since Reagan, I have voted third party as much as Republican for the top of the ticket.

Valiant on November 30, 2007 at 7:35 AM

There he goes again. Billy Jeff has tangled himself up in his own Liar’s Paradox.

How appropriate this episode was on TV Land this morning:

Kirk: “Everything Harry tells you is a lie — remember that! Everything Harry tells you is a lie!”
Harry Mudd: “Now listen to me carefully, Norman laddie; I – am – lying!”
Norman: “You lie, but if everything you say is a lie then you must be telling the truth, but you cannot be telling the truth because everything you say is a lie… you lie, you tell the truth, you– Illogical! Illogical! Please explain! You are human! Only humans can explain their behavior! Please explain!”
(mockingly) “I am not programmed to respond in that area…”

Star Trek – The Original Series, Episode 41: I, Mudd (1966)

Brat on November 30, 2007 at 8:05 AM

Text is “passé?” Why, exactly? Because your candidate was quoted saying the same thing he always says about this particular issue?

Good grief.

Slublog on November 30, 2007 at 8:22 AM

Huckabee is probably closer to Reagan than a lot of you would like to remember. I know it’s common now to romanticize his Presidency but the guy was not without some serious flaws of his own.

bj1126 on November 30, 2007 at 8:36 AM

Truth and facts are the Democraps kryptonite.

Huck….nice not knowing ya.

I hope the RNC is ready to hammer away at the Democrap nominee with a montage of their weakest hits.

VikingGoneWild on November 30, 2007 at 8:38 AM

Republicans beating up on Reagan to defend…Huckabee? I agree that conservatives tend to romanticize the Reagan years, but gads. I grew up during the Reagan years and remember the speeches of the optimistic warrior.

Reagan would never have been so nasty as to call his opponents “un-Christian,” that’s for certain.

Slublog on November 30, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Michael in MI on November 30, 2007 at 2:05 AM

That’s a handy link. Thanks.

I loved this declared part of the military strategy:

Also, the Muslim holy month of Ramadan begins this weekend. For us to initiate military action during Ramadan would be profoundly offensive to the Muslim world and, therefore, would damage our relations with Arab countries and the progress we have made in the Middle East.
That is something we wanted very much to avoid without giving Iraq’s a month’s head start to prepare for potential action against it.

Buy Danish on November 30, 2007 at 9:17 AM

Chuck wearing jewelry is disturbing.

Hening on November 30, 2007 at 10:42 AM

Zero tollerance. Getting your alien kid an American education at the US tax payers expense is one of those mangnets that must be shut down.

Tough love

saiga on November 30, 2007 at 11:05 AM

Chuck’s hairpiece wearing jewelry is disturbing.

Hening on November 30, 2007 at 10:42 AM