Open thread: Cowboys-Packers thermonuclear war

posted at 8:48 pm on November 29, 2007 by Bryan

Sorry I’m late with this. We were in consultations, or to be more precise, I was editing Jihad Watch.

I can’t watch the game tonight (thanks, %^7#$&^#$&**^#^ NFL!) but if you can and want to comment, have at it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Professor Blather on November 30, 2007 at 12:40 AM

You need to be careful with the cheating thing. If you consider breaking a rule by filming something done in the open in a place where you are not supposed to cheating then you are going to be in for a huge disappointment when the names of active Cowboy players who were buying steroids and HGH from the dealer who was busted a few weeks ago are made public.

STEROIDS DISTRIBUTOR SNITCHES ON COWBOYS

The Dallas Morning News reports that the man who pleaded guilty on Tuesday to possession of steroids with intent to distribute has provided to federal investigators the names of former — and current — members of the Dallas Cowboys to whom he provided steroids.

David Jacobs, 35, pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors in identifying the persons to whom steroids were distributed.

It’s an unusual move; usually, prosecutors start with the folks on the bottom of the operation and work upstream. In this case, however, the high profile of Jacobs’ customers is prompting authorities to move in the other direction. Celebrities and other well-known people make for desirable targets of such prosecutions because the chilling effect is much more pronounced, due to the media coverage of the situation.
The names of the players in question have not yet been released publicly.

TheBigOldDog on November 30, 2007 at 12:52 AM

I suffered the same ailment.

The Internet is you’re friend.

gradyman on November 30, 2007 at 1:28 AM

Ouch! YOu really know how to hurt a guy sounding.

conservnut on November 29, 2007 at 10:58 PM

I believe it was Conrad Dobler who said; “If you can’t beat ‘em, beat ‘em up.

Who dats took that to heart.
Hell, it was all we had.

You might enjoy this.

Ten or fifteen second content warning about the 1:08 min mark.

soundingboard on November 30, 2007 at 3:59 AM

The game of the night was looavull vs rutgers… awesome.. screw the NFL Network and time warner for not even offering it here in So. Cal. dwebe’s. on an up note they lost out on a boatlaod of coin by not having it on national TV and charging triple for ad time.. HA!

ajmontana on November 30, 2007 at 7:48 AM

TheBigOldDog on November 30, 2007 at 12:28 AM

Hater.

TheBigOldDog on November 30, 2007 at 12:52 AM

Hater squared.

Suck it up buttercup.

I want a rematch…preferably with a different officiating crew.
packsoldier on November 30, 2007 at 12:41 AM

Ah yes. The mantra of Pack fans across the country for the next few weeks.
The mantra of Cowboys fans in response: HAHAHAHAHAHA!
See you in the playoffs, ladies!

Wish I coulda been in on this thread. Sadly, I was at the bar laughing my @$$ off.

SouthernDem on November 30, 2007 at 8:30 AM

We came in unhealthy and left worse. Oh, and we got jobbed on big plays. Things will be different if the cryboys last long enough to play us again.
Hey Dallas, ya got enough money ta fix that stupid hole in the roof yet?

oakpack on November 30, 2007 at 8:44 AM

My ‘boys found a way to win, against all odds. That’s how championships happen.

They had a little trouble here. It seems the Patriots found a way to win that one: Score 21 more points.

PB,

I repeat: the Cowboys were the first to prove the cheatin’ Pats can be beaten.

In order to prove that they can be beaten, you have to actually, you know, beat them. I think the Eggles actually showed how it might be done: Chew up the clock and keep the ball out of Brady’s hands.

Pablo on November 30, 2007 at 9:15 AM

Hey Dallas, ya got enough money ta fix that stupid hole in the roof yet?

Uh, yeah.

Bryan on November 30, 2007 at 9:31 AM

Hey Dallas, ya got enough money ta fix that stupid hole in the roof yet?

Uh, yeah.

Bryan on November 30, 2007 at 9:31 AM

They’re still playing in Texas Stadium next year, though, right?

I sure hope so. Seeing a Cowboys game at that stadium is on my must-do-before-I-die list, and I won’t get there this year.

Next year, I’m making the pilgrimage to Mecca Irving.

Professor Blather on November 30, 2007 at 9:47 AM

Hey Dallas, ya got enough money ta fix that stupid hole in the roof yet?

oakpack on November 30, 2007 at 8:44 AM

Jealousy is just so darn ugly!

BTW…

I refuse to call the Team Obliterater “cute” … but it’s amazing how differently I feel about that putz now that he’s playing for my team.

Now if somebody could teach him to hang onto the ball, I might become an actual fan.

Professor Blather on November 30, 2007 at 12:13 AM

Captain Morgan prevented me last night from comprehending your meaning. Ok, to clarify….

“T-Ro” = Tony Romo
“T.O.” = T.O.

T-Ro is just as cute as cute can be when he’s got that smile happenin~

Thanks again Brian for the Open Thread last night!

SouthernPride on November 30, 2007 at 9:51 AM

They’re still playing in Texas Stadium next year, though, right?

Next year, I’m making the pilgrimage to Mecca Irving.

Professor Blather on November 30, 2007 at 9:47 AM

Yep, one more season before moving to the bigger digs.
You MUST make a pilgramage there next season. I’ve been fortunate enough to attend games when coaches were Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer.

The last game in historic Texas Stadium will be a sad day indeed. So much history to be proud of.

Saying that, you’ll be amazed at how “small” Texas Stadium really is compared to others. The new stadium is a necessity.

SouthernPride on November 30, 2007 at 9:57 AM

TheBigOldDog on November 30, 2007 at 12:52 AM

The difference being that Cowboys fans won’t be making endless excuses. Your cheatin’ Pats got caught and lost a draft pick. Ouch. Suck it up. If Flozell Adams is on the juice – and I only use him as an example because I love his name – then I hope they crucify him.

FYI to all Pats fans: I’m going to continue calling them the cheatin’ Pats as long as you all get so hilariously defensive about it. Because it amuses me.

I want a rematch…preferably with a different officiating crew.
packsoldier on November 30, 2007 at 12:41 AM

Me, too! I can’t believe they let that obvious roughing the kicker penalty slide. Boo!

You need to be careful with the cheating thing.

TheBigOldDog on November 30, 2007 at 12:52 AM

Seems to me the Patriots need to be a careful with it. Has any team ever lost a first round pick before?

I feel for you, man. I really do. Even if they run the table and go all the way, you’re always going to have some asshat – like, say, me – bringing up the cheating thing.

Well, at least until next year.

oakpack on November 30, 2007 at 8:44 AM

Well, you sort of got a point: after losing NINE STRAIGHT games in Texas Stadium, you gotta figure the Packers will win one someday.

Maybe the ‘Boys new stadium will be kinder to the cheeseheads.

———————

Sigh. What a happy, hungover Friday. So sad for those who missed it. And talking football is way more fun than talking politics. At least it is today.

Professor Blather on November 30, 2007 at 10:01 AM

T-Ro is just as cute as cute can be when he’s got that smile happenin~

SouthernPride on November 30, 2007 at 9:51 AM

My bad! I’d, uh, had a few beers. I missed the “R.”

Hell, even I think Romo is cute. He makes me feel just a little bit gay.

Then again, I’d probably have a man-crush on Abe Vigoda if he led the ‘Boys to an 11-1 season.

Professor Blather on November 30, 2007 at 10:04 AM

SouthernPride on November 30, 2007 at 9:57 AM

I am so very jealous.

Professor Blather on November 30, 2007 at 10:05 AM

The last time I was at Texas Stadium, I got to see Deion Sanders intercept a pass and take it to the house from about 60 yards out. He was a blur. Good times.

Bryan on November 30, 2007 at 10:14 AM

Ahhh, the memories. Just think of all the big name Cowboys that played in Texas stadium:

Lilly
Staubach
Manster
Too Tall
Harvey
Tony D.
Newhouse
Pearson
Aikman
Irving
Emmitt
Moose

Too many to name here.

I’m proud to say, the torch has definitely been passed and a worthy team of Cowboys will most likely exit Texas Stadium one last time and christen the new Stadium in a proud manner.

(ok, I’m making myself tear up)

SouthernPride on November 30, 2007 at 10:36 AM

TheBigOldDog

oakpack

You two need me to call the whaaaaaaaaambulance?

Kowboy on November 30, 2007 at 10:48 AM

Hey Mister Bryan(thanks4the NFLthreads;), saw a book in the grocery store couple days ago… Greatest Team Ever: The Dallas Cowboys Dynasty of the 1990s . Was not able to fully peruse due to the O’ladies ability to shop quickly, but… dude, awesome pics and a excellent case for the book title(I met my quota with the new Vince Flynn book, so the Cowboy book goes on the Christmas list).
BTW, are you from BigD?

christophercube on November 30, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Yep,
Big B is from Big D.

SouthernPride on November 30, 2007 at 1:14 PM

Uh, yeah.

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue put a stop to all this Jet finagling. He ruled that Parcells belonged to the Patriots, and that the Jets needed to compensate the Patriots for his services. But he also forbade the Jets from using Parcells in any capacity whatsoever unless the Patriots were compensated. Then he got Kraft and Jet president Steve Gutman together and brokered a deal where Parcells could become Jet head coach immediately. The Jets sent the Patriots four draft picks for the rights to Parcells: a third and fourth rounder in 1997, a second rounder in 1998 and a first rounder in 1999.

Pablo on November 30, 2007 at 2:36 PM