Blotter: Rudy’s then-mistress “used the PD as her personal taxi service”; Update: Totally appropriate, says Rudy

posted at 5:01 pm on November 29, 2007 by Allahpundit

The fact that she had a security detail while they were publicly dating has been common knowledge for years, the rationale being that anyone, er, intimately related to the mayor will also need protection from his enemies. The Blotter story claims that New Yorkers were paying for her security even before anyone had reason to associate her with him — and that the main duty of the cops assigned to her wasn’t exactly to jump in front of bullets for her. If true, it would theoretically move yesterday’s Politico piece out of the realm of “sneaky but not necessarily illegal” to a more nuanced level of impropriety. Says Ed Koch, Hillary supporter and author of “Giuliani: Nasty Man”:

Koch, who served as the mayor of New York City from 1978 to 1989, said that the episode gave off the appearance that Giuliani, who was at the time married to his second wife Donna Hanover, was trying to hide his affair. He also argued that providing Judith Nathan her own personal protection (when she was not a member of the first family) constituted an even more flagrant misuse of taxpayer money.

“I found it strange that his lady friend was given protection,” said the long-time New York politico. “That was bizarre. She’s not the city’s responsibility. Rudy is the city’s responsibility. Your wife and his children get protection, and that’s understood. But certainly not your lady friend.”

Rudy’s going to be on Jim Cramer’s show at 6 p.m. to talk about this, assuming Cramer lets him get a word in edgewise. Here’s the video of Cooper asking him about the Politico piece last night, wherein he both ignores the main charge, that he deliberately NYPD expenses in other agencies’ accounts to cover up his affair, and claims not to know how things were accounted for. After the debate he called the story a “hit job.” His spokesman offered a fuller explanation today that really doesn’t explain much of anything. Their strategy after tonight presumably will be to keep quiet and hope it goes away. It’d be absurd with all the knocks against him for being a RINO if this tawdry nonsense ended up knocking him out. But no matter; if Politico doesn’t do it, Huck eventually will. And don’t think I’m kidding.

Below the debate video you’ll find his newest ad. Glad to see he took my advice to stop mentioning New York.

Update: Here’s his response to the charges per an interview with Katie Couric:

The story turns out to be a totally false story. This practice was going on in my first term as mayor. It didn’t just happen in my second term as mayor. The police department paid for all of these expenses. But since the police department would sometimes be slow in payment City Hall would pay it first then the police department would reimburse every single penny of it and now we’ve been able to confirm that. So this was really, I know what this was. This story is five years old. It came out two hours before a debate. It’s a typical political hit job with only half the story told…

The fact is, that by doing it that way, it was more discoverable. Had it been paid by the police department, it never would have been discovered because their records are security records and they can’t be discovered. The reality is: all those agencies that you’re talking about, all of it was fully reimbursed within that year. They’re all in the mayor’s office. This was a way of expediting payment. All of it on the record, all of it discoverable, all of it going on for five or six years. And perfectly appropriate and three budget directors have asserted that but of course the press doesn’t cover that.

Comments

Ugh. This clothespin I have to keep on my nose in order to keep supporting Rudy really hurts sometimes. But I’d have to wear a clip to support any of them at this point, so I guess I’ll just have to keep enduring the pain.

aero on November 29, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Rudy may be in trouble. Looked weak for a lot of the debate last night, and now this.

Huckabee was on Kenneth Copelands show this morning.

Someone needs to start hammering him on taxes or immigration or he is gonna be trouble.

amish on November 29, 2007 at 5:11 PM

These personal scandals with Giuliani are going to keep coming, and it’s just going to get worse, I fear.

So my question is, assuming Rudy falters and loses his status as national frontrunner, which of the remaining candidates has the greatest chance at beating Hillary? Romney seems kind of stilted and fake, and has the problem of flip-flopping — not to mention anti-LDS bias. Thompson is pretty much the equivalent of Grandpa Simpson. Huckabee is an even bigger spender than GWB.

Outlander on November 29, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Sorry I have a low threshold for pain and I’ve had to wear that clothespin for way too long already. We’ll never purge the DEM plants from the party if we keep voting for them.

Buzzy on November 29, 2007 at 5:12 PM

If I recall correctly, Ol’ Huck isn’t exactly the one to go accusing Giuliani of improper use of public funds.

Big S on November 29, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Rudy will self destruct, or be destroyed by scandals like this. I like him, but I don’t think he can survive the campaign.

Fred’s just biding his time waiting for these hares to take themselves out of the running.

Bad Penny on November 29, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Indeed. This is Mitt’s club to bludgeon Rudy with.

Allahpundit on November 29, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Indeed. This is Mitt’s club to bludgeon Rudy with.

Allahpundit on November 29, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Keep the Guiliani club, quick get Mitt a Huckabee killing club!!

Zetterson on November 29, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Indeed. This is Mitt’s club to bludgeon Rudy with.

Allahpundit on November 29, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Yeah, but lob the word “mistress” in there like a grenade and BOOM!

But yeah, not like the religious police are in Giuliani’s camp anyway. But the sleaze factor keeps increasing with Giuliani, doesn’t it. Gotten too high for me, probably.

RW Wacko on November 29, 2007 at 5:22 PM

Well if, on top of everything else, this does not do it I don’t know what will.

Maybe if Cramer doesn’t let him talk enough and Rudolfo starts quoting from the Godfather and pulls out a gun and pops him right there maybe some of his support will start to fade.

Will Rudolfo still be able to run for National Capo President if he is in jail?

MB4 on November 29, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Giuliani strikes me as one of those old-school Democrat big-city mayors, like the Daley family, Willie Brown, etc. And I don’t mean that in a complimentary way. Aren’t we at the point where we need to consider the risk of a presidential scandal when we pull the lever in the primary?

RW Wacko on November 29, 2007 at 5:26 PM

Keep the Guiliani club, quick get Mitt a Huckabee killing club!!

Zetterson on November 29, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Yeah, Huckabee is currently a bigger threat to him in crucial states.

amerpundit on November 29, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Bad Penny on November 29, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Turtle better make his move pretty soon, then. Not much time left before the first primaries. I don’t think Rudy will be taken out before the primaries by stuff like this. Most people are already aware of his less-than-desirable romantic history. It’s in the Dems’ (and therefore the MSM’s) best interest to save their heavy fire for after Rudy has the nomination. I also don’t see Mitt taking himself out of the running. Aside from a couple of minor mistakes, he’s run a pretty tight ship and is throwing money around like a drunken sailor. Huck is the most likely one to implode between now and then. I think (hope) that his current surge is just the proverbial flash in the pan. And despite some analysts’ predictions of a McCain resurgence, I don’t see that happening either.

So, as much as I’d like to see a Fred surge, I’m not terribly optimistic about it happening. I hope you’re right and the turtle surprises us all.

aero on November 29, 2007 at 5:27 PM

I’m still not sure this is going to be a big deal. There’s an awful lot of people out there who have been separated from their spouses, and many more who’ve put a few extra miles on the company car. It doesn’t excuse it, but there’s nothing really tawdry about it.

Big S on November 29, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Guiliani’s answer about the second amendment just blew him out of the running with anyone that is a gun owner.

His refusal to admit he ran a sanctuary city was an out right lie IMHO.

He acted like the second amendment is just some rule that can be legislated away by the states or the Supreme Court.

ScottyDog on November 29, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Big S on November 29, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Soo…. explain to the person in New York who got robbed or raped, and the cops did not show up in a timely manner.

Or perhaps you would like to go to all the unsolved crime cases..

THESE WERE COPS!!! He used law enforcment people in his own personal life… a personal life that many, like myself, find distastefull…

If you want a divorce? Fine… get a divorce… but to mess around on your spouse tells me a LOT about your character.

Romeo13 on November 29, 2007 at 5:38 PM

there’s nothing really tawdry about it.

Maybe some of us hold people to higher standards than you do.

Bad Penny on November 29, 2007 at 5:39 PM

Allah……..not saying this is true but this IS the perception….the whole NuYawker thing you were commenting on a couple of days ago. The rest of the country, while they couldn’t tell you squat about Tammany Hall, feel Tammany Hall about New York. It has been pounded into them.
Like Chicago will always be Gambino country, and Oklahoma will always be Oral Roberts Land. This does look like, to places like Texas, gang-boss politics. Sad…but that is how I see it from the Trinity River.

Limerick on November 29, 2007 at 5:41 PM

I think some folks might start to view shenanigans like this as an example of the New York state of mind.

Privilege has its detractors, which is most of us.

Speakup on November 29, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Maybe some of us hold people to higher standards than you do.

Bad Penny on November 29, 2007 at 5:39 PM

It’s icky, unethical, wrong, and a misuse of taxpayer money. He’s made a whole host of bad personal decisions, related to his ex, standing by his pals, cronyism, on and on.

I really do question his judgement. I don’t think he’s fit to lead at this point. Bush had a crony issue. Let’s avoid repeating the same mistakes. Plus he’s almost a lib, dammit. He’s got one good redeeming value, and it’s a dang important one, tough on terror. But let’s not sell everything else out for one thing. Mitt, McCain and Fred would all be just fine in my opinion when it comes to fighting Islamofascism. Just my opinion. Just too many issues with Rudy now, can’t respect the guy anymore.

RW Wacko on November 29, 2007 at 5:45 PM

Man I can’t post correctly anymore.

RW Wacko on November 29, 2007 at 5:46 PM

I’m not sure how openly another candidate can bring this up without looking like they’re going for an overly low blow. They’ve only made the vaguest references to his three marriages, and then only by Mitt alluding to his family.

Hopefully this story does get some play though- I said at the start that Rudy has skeletons in the closet, and I doubt this is the last of them. If they don’t come out now, they’d come out during the general election.

Likewise, I hope they nail Huckster for lying (again) in his answer about the in state tuition for illegals. And Mitt? Just give him some rope, he’ll hang himself when he loses track of which position he’s had on a particular issue or continues to waffle as he did last night.

Hollowpoint on November 29, 2007 at 5:47 PM

Other candidates can’t openly say anything, but there are ways of getting the story out there, that’s for sure. They all have surrogates whose job it is to get their hands’ dirty so the guy running can keep their squeaky-clean image intact.

Rudy is a sleaze and won’t connect with the average Joe after this. Now if you will excuse me, I need to polish off this beer so I can join my buds at the tittie bar. j/ks

RW Wacko on November 29, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Wacko, exactly right.

Bad Penny on November 29, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Big S on November 29, 2007 at 5:33 PM

What?!? We’re not talking about letting a friend borrow the company car for a day or two, we’re talking about a mayor handing over a police car and police driver for use by his mistress on the taxpayer dime and trying to hide the expense in obscure agency budgets.

How much more tawdry could it get?

Don’t answer that- somehow, I have a feeling we’re going to find out the hard way, and it won’t be pretty. The real question is how much further the “only Rudy can win” crowd will go in overlooking his many deficiencies.

Hollowpoint on November 29, 2007 at 5:55 PM

Right about Rudy, not the beer and the tittie bar. Ahem.

Bad Penny on November 29, 2007 at 5:58 PM

As a Rudy supporter, this hurts. It’s not just that other campaigns are going to beat him with it, it’s that it looks like he did it. I would wager that there are a number of other “scandals” ready to be aired.

sweeper on November 29, 2007 at 6:04 PM

Indeed. This is Mitt’s club to bludgeon Rudy with.

Allahpundit on November 29, 2007 at 5:14 PM

the same mitt that introduced universal health care in massachusetts? that mitt romney?

its vintage duh on November 29, 2007 at 6:06 PM

Hollowpoint on November 29, 2007 at 5:55 PM

Actually, it’s pretty much exactly like that. Not that that excuses it; it’s still spending your employers’ money for your own purposes.

Big S on November 29, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Big S on November 29, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Sigh…. ITS TAX DOLLARS!!!

Its not company money!!!

And its about POLICE… you know… those guys who are supposed to be out there to catch the bad guys? Enforce the law?? Not play taxi for a Mistress???

Romeo13 on November 29, 2007 at 6:10 PM

Romeo13 on November 29, 2007 at 6:10 PM

If I owned a company and my employees were taking their company cars on weekend trips or lending them to friends, I’d be pretty peeved. It’s the same principle. Rudy’s employers were the people of NYC, and if he did this, he basically used the company car to have his girlfriend driven around.

Big S on November 29, 2007 at 6:19 PM

Romeo said:

I think that’s the point you’re missing, Big S.

Bad Penny on November 29, 2007 at 6:21 PM

Bad Penny on November 29, 2007 at 6:21 PM

That’s ridiculous. If it was a cop driving a car, the cop would have been assigned to security duty for the Mayor and his family (loosely defined in this case), and would not respond to crime reports. There are 37,000 uniformed officers in the NYPD, and some of them have different jobs than others; some are detectives, some are beat cops, etc. And some provide security for city officials and at city functions.

Big S on November 29, 2007 at 6:30 PM

Rudy will be swift boated big time if he gets the nomination.

He has so many skeletons in his closet it will look like Pol Potts killing fields.

TheSitRep on November 29, 2007 at 6:36 PM

I think all of these stories are just Rudy’s version of Clinton’s “Bimbo eruptions”. Didnt prevent Bubba from winning two terms, and the news was out about them before he even got nominated for his first.

Stuff to think about.

Always Right on November 29, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Stuff to think about.

Always Right on November 29, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Yeah, and it ended up leading to a stained blue dress and extra moist cigar. I don’t think the country wants to risk going through that again.

Hollowpoint on November 29, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Always Right on November 29, 2007 at 6:39 PM

True. The general electorate doesn’t really care about relatively minor ethics infractions any more, as long as politicians are competent, and don’t compromise the security of the country. All of the candidates, on both sides (even the Baptist preacher!) have had some ethics troubles in the past in one form or another. Romney may be the “cleanest” of the crew, but let me ask you this: which is worse, Giuliani using police equipment and personnel for civilian purposes, or Romney using civilian equipment and personnel for police purposes? (old story)

Big S on November 29, 2007 at 6:49 PM

Stuff to think about.

Always Right on November 29, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Yeah, but he was a Dem. Rudy will turn off a lot of Republicans who won’t turn out to vote for him. Turnout is so crucial. Evangelicals will turn up their noses. I don’t see Rudy winning a single southern state. Yeah, I know we are then land of divorce, strip clubs, and beer, but hey the reality is this kind of baggage will kill him in the Bible Belt.

If there is another big terrorist attack, all these problems go away; if not, I don’t see Rudy as president.

RW Wacko on November 29, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Is up on Drudge. Cumulative effect of these can’t be good, esp since his poll #s were already in a free-fall. His debate performance sucked, too. It’s all about the big MO, Romney had it, now it is Huck’s turn. It’s definitely a 3-man race now, with Iowa the huge swing state in the race for Huck and Mitt.

RW Wacko on November 29, 2007 at 6:56 PM

I apologize up front for my commment being only tangentially related. When will conservatives start getting realistic? It really doesn’t matter who you think the best candidate is. It doesn’t. It only matters who you consider to be the best out of the electable candidates. There are two of them. Mitt and Rudy. Pick one. Voters in Iowa casting a ballot for Huck need to realize that that is really a vote for Rudy. As long as they realize that, fine.

davenp35 on November 29, 2007 at 6:56 PM

davenp35 on November 29, 2007 at 6:56 PM

Honestly, I don’t think a lot of evangelicals would really mind if Rudy wins. They’re just not going to vote for him, because he’s pro-choice, and they might go to Hell if they do. I’m sure a few have the same feelings about the Mormon. There’s a certain sector of the religious right that acts as if voting is more about themselves (and their feeeeelings!) than about the future of the country, and Huck is just the one to make them feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Big S on November 29, 2007 at 7:03 PM

that’s wouldn’t mind if Rudy wins. Doh!

Big S on November 29, 2007 at 7:03 PM

Big S on November 29, 2007 at 6:30 PM

You do realize how manpower allocations work?

If there is not a need, then the move that manpower to other jobs…

Rudis security needs had not changed… his families needs had not changed… these were EXTRA personel, who had to be taken off of some other job to do this. There is not a pool of cops sitting around New York in case someone needs security… they are doing other things.

Add in that their salaries were paid for by TAX dollars, and were allocated to somthing that they should have not been spent on…

Add in that Rudi was so worried about Tax revenue in New York that he SUED the Feds to get Reagens line item veto overturned??? and then spent that money having a cop drive around his Mistress???

Huge lack of Moral character… and judgement…

If thats OK with you, I can tell that we have way different ideas about what our government is supposed to be about.

Romeo13 on November 29, 2007 at 7:06 PM

Romeo13 on November 29, 2007 at 7:06 PM

Yes, I understand how manpower allocation works. Not every officer in the NYPD has the same job, and not all of them are experts in every capacity. For instance, some are assigned the Movie and Televison Unit, while others are on the Taxi Squad, among other units.

Big S on November 29, 2007 at 7:15 PM

Bad Penny on November 29, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Yes, because we will all most certainly by wowed by Fred after his dismal debate performances, incessant whining, and utter failures. Spare us this nonsense, Fred is asleep at the wheel? Turtle? Fred is a spectator at this point, he isn’t even in the race.

BKennedy on November 29, 2007 at 7:24 PM

They know Rudy will beat them and they are afraid.

JayHaw Phrenzie on November 29, 2007 at 7:51 PM

They know Rudy will beat them and they are afraid.

JayHaw Phrenzie on November 29, 2007 at 7:51 PM

You’re referring to his ex-wives I take it?

Hollowpoint on November 29, 2007 at 7:57 PM

davenp35 on November 29, 2007 at 6:56 PM

It does to me.

BTW, Rudy’s being so electable seems to be something that is becoming more and more a matter of blind faith.

MB4 on November 29, 2007 at 8:07 PM

The police department paid for all of these expenses. -Rudy

Errr, isn’t the police department paid for by taxpayers’ money, too? What am I missing here? It still looks like Judi’s escort and security service was paid for by taxpayers before she was the mayor’s wife. It also still looks like the mayor’s mistress was taking up valuable police resources so that she could get a little secret nookie with the mayor and/or shop for Louis Vuitton handbags with a full security detail in tow. As I said, I still plan to vote for Rudy at this point, but I don’t think I can stand much more of the stench that surrounds his personal life. I also can’t stand Judi, but I’m not voting for her.

aero on November 29, 2007 at 10:23 PM

BKennedy on November 29, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Blah blah blah. You don’t even bother to watch the debates, do you? You just show up and post the talking points given to you, right? It’s perfectly fine to debate the quality of a candidate, but what you do is simply post nonsensical drivel based on nothing. Your comment is so far from reality based on last night’s debate that it’s actually embarrassing. You’re a tool. Please go away.

Gregor on November 29, 2007 at 10:32 PM

davenp35 on November 29, 2007 at 6:56 PM

LOL! You obviously don’t consider your principles to be very important. A person such as this cannot be trusted.

Besides … it’s a bit ignorant at this point to suggest that Thompson is unelectable. Although I don’t like Huckabee, I would also say it’s ignorant to suggest that he’s unelectable at this point as well. But you keep on allowing yourself to be led by that leash.

Gregor on November 29, 2007 at 10:41 PM

George Washington: I can not tell a lie, I chopped down that cherry tree.
Rudolf Giuliani: Totally appropriate.

MB4 on November 29, 2007 at 11:11 PM