Atheists win right to display their own “holiday tree”

posted at 9:10 pm on November 29, 2007 by Allahpundit

First Sunday school, now this. Before you know it, Hitch will be wearing a cassock.

That’s when we’ll know it’s well and truly over.

For the first time a regional atheist group will display a holiday tree on the Chester County Courthouse lawn during the winter holidays, potentially setting a seasonal model for other communities.

County commissioners have allowed groups to display a Christmas tree and menorah on the lawn. But last year, The Freethought Society of Greater Philadelphia, an atheist group, asked the commissioners to either let any group set up a seasonal holiday display or ban the displays entirely

The group’s display, “The Tree of Knowledge,” will include a 15-foot evergreen with color copies of book covers as decorations. Some of the book covers will include the Holy Bible, the Quran, “Ethics Without God,” “Why I Am Not a Christian,” and “Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism.”

How strange it is that atheists would be so widely loathed when we have spiteful, antagonistic morons like this to vindicate us.

In times like these, I like to remind myself: It could be worse.

Comments

so atheists really do want to worship a spaghetti monster, huh?

lorien1973 on November 29, 2007 at 8:52 PM

The group’s display, “The Tree of Knowledge”.

Heh, where did they get that name?

Spirit of 1776 on November 29, 2007 at 9:12 PM

I know Christmas is a Christian holiday, but I am confused about one thing, Where exactly does Santa Claus fit into the Christian Pantheon?

JayHaw Phrenzie on November 29, 2007 at 9:17 PM

umm, they ‘won the right?’ who took the right away from them? How do you think we got ‘Kwanza’? They made it up and we celebrate it now.

You want to celebrate Festivus? No skin off my nose, but no real revelation either.

ThackerAgency on November 29, 2007 at 9:17 PM

Where’s the football open thread? I’m one of the 75 mil who can’t watch and I need some insight.

BadgerHawk on November 29, 2007 at 9:20 PM

The group’s display, “The Tree of Knowledge”.

Heh, where did they get that name?

Spirit of 1776 on November 29, 2007 at 9:12 PM

It is likely a knock at the garden of Eden tree which is generally mis-understood as the ‘tree of knowledge’. It is actually the ‘tree of knowledge of good and evil’.

In other words, mankind was not created with knowledge of the difference between good and evil. Man wasn’t created with the concept of ‘sin’ as long as he obeyed God who knew everything – ie what was good for man and what was bad for man. I could go on and on about it’s significance, but it’s my personal relationship with God that developed my understanding of this story and how it relates to the human condition. And it would take much more than this posting here to explain it.

Nonetheless, funny ‘tree of knowledge’. Those atheists are so smart.

ThackerAgency on November 29, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Last time I was sober, man I felt bad
Worst hangover that I ever had
It took six hamburgers and scotch all night
Nicotine for breakfast just to put me right
cos if you wanna run cool
If you wanna run cool
If you wanna run cool, you got to run
On heavy, heavy fuel

BadgerHawk on November 29, 2007 at 9:20 PM

Boys starting to run away with it. Favre just through his second pick. First and goal Dallas up 20 -10

TheBigOldDog on November 29, 2007 at 9:23 PM

BadgerHawk on November 29, 2007 at 9:20 PM

Wade Phillips does not know what a catch is in the NFL and challenges a Fasano drop in the end zone….

TheBigOldDog on November 29, 2007 at 9:26 PM

ThackerAgency on November 29, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Yeah, I know:) How long till they start adopting Koranic references?

Spirit of 1776 on November 29, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Atheists win right to display their own “holiday tree”

- Rub eyes -

MB4 on November 29, 2007 at 9:31 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie on November 29, 2007 at 9:17 PM

Santa Claus is based on Saint Nicholas, a man who was the Bishop of Myra (modern-day Turkey). He used to give people gifts secretly.

Where the flying reindeer came from, I have no idea.

mjk on November 29, 2007 at 9:33 PM

This drives me nuts,it’s called Christ-mas,not
happy holiday,or happy festivus for the rest of,
it’s when Jesus was born,oh and Santa too.

Again,were getting scr!wed over,by the pc crowd,
kinda like when the guy who went to the Supreme
Court to eliminate the word “G!D”.

canopfor on November 29, 2007 at 9:34 PM

correction,no, Santa wasn’t born along side Jesus,sorry.

canopfor on November 29, 2007 at 9:36 PM

A schism?

JiangxiDad on November 29, 2007 at 9:38 PM

If atheists don’t get their own holiday display when they’re young, they have E.D. later in life.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on November 29, 2007 at 9:40 PM

Where exactly does Santa Claus fit into the Christian Pantheon?

JayHaw Phrenzie on November 29, 2007 at 9:17 PM

His name was adopted from St. Nicholas, who was a Bishop of Myra. He would secretly give gifts, including secretly throwing gold coins in purses through the window of a man who couldn’t afford a dowry for his daughters. He often gave gifts secretly at night.

IIRC, he was never canonized officially. He was just beloved by his, er, fans, if you will.

amerpundit on November 29, 2007 at 9:42 PM

Happy Chrismakwanzfestanukah, everyone!

Bigfoot on November 29, 2007 at 9:42 PM

mjk on November 29, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Sorry, didn’t reload before posting.

amerpundit on November 29, 2007 at 9:43 PM

As an athiest myself, I just can’t figure these morons out. A true athiest shouldn’t feel the need to seek others out with similar feelings, nor want any special day of commemoration. They have simply substituted organized godlessness with religion, to fill some void they feel. I feel no void in my life and could care less about associating with others who agree with me. Nor am I threatened by the religious people around me. And celebrating atheism is an absolute joke. How do you celebrate the lack of something?
There is a difference between anti-religion and atheism.

redshirt on November 29, 2007 at 9:47 PM

A schism?

JiangxiDad on November 29, 2007 at 9:38 PM

I guess if there were no more “people of faith” left anywhere on the planet, the atheists wouldn’t have anyone left to hate (except, of course, each other). How long do you think that it would take before they all turn on each other? (5…4…3…2…1).

CyberCipher on November 29, 2007 at 9:48 PM

Tree of Knowledge?

This is lame.

nailinmyeye on November 29, 2007 at 9:49 PM

There is a difference between anti-religion and atheism.

redshirt on November 29, 2007 at 9:47 PM

That is an interesting distinction. Thanks for that.

nailinmyeye on November 29, 2007 at 9:50 PM

Heh!

Weight of Glory on November 29, 2007 at 9:51 PM

wtf is up with this guy? I am an athiest, and he doesnt speak for me!
This is Christmas! Whats the big deal? Sure, the holiday had other names over the years, but in the here an now its x-mas, Hitchens needs to get over himself

Wyrd on November 29, 2007 at 9:51 PM

I’m an atheist as well and I don’t understand this stupidity. What’s the point? It’s just to tear down Christmas for people who really do believe. Whatever happened to live and let live?

By the way, I celebrate Christmas. It’s my favorite holiday. So all this BS about “winter celebrations” or “holiday trees” is stupid as well. It’s Christmas. People celebrate it, Christians and non-Christians. Get over it already.

CookeyD on November 29, 2007 at 9:52 PM

Now you know how it feels when a mean-spirited, narrow-minded extremist subset of your belief system (or lack-of-belief system, as the case may be) makes everyone in that group look like idiots. Happens to us Christians all the time.

aero on November 29, 2007 at 9:53 PM

Do they know the word “holiday” comes from Holy Day?

Chuck on November 29, 2007 at 9:54 PM

This holiday tree idea was promoted by extremist Atheists that have hijacked our lack of religion, we need to open a dialog with moderate Atheists.

After all, Atheism is the non-religion of Peace.

JayHaw Phrenzie on November 29, 2007 at 9:55 PM

Will there be artificial Trees of Knowledge? I hate the sappy, dry needle, knowledge trees.

Weight of Glory on November 29, 2007 at 9:56 PM

That is it! Atheism is now a religion!

hinduconservative on November 29, 2007 at 9:56 PM

AP man crush time of day again … just like 4pm tea time ..
cheers !!

redrock on November 29, 2007 at 9:59 PM

I welcome all the atheists who want to secretly celebrate Jesus’s birthday with their holy day trees.

Buzzy on November 29, 2007 at 10:00 PM

aero on November 29, 2007 at 9:53 PM

Never happens to us of the only true faith, Islam of course. Allah be praised.
We have no mean-spirited, narrow-minded extremists in Islam, the only true faith.
Allah be praised.
We have no gays either.
Allah be praised.
You infidels should just call that tree the Mohammad tree, you will be soon enough anyway.
Allah be praised.

- Mahmoud

MB4 on November 29, 2007 at 10:08 PM

We’re all present-receiving whores at heart.

SouthernGent on November 29, 2007 at 10:08 PM

Where the flying reindeer came from, I have no idea.

mjk on November 29, 2007 at 9:33 PM

I recall seeing a really great Christmas special years ago (hasn’t been re run since) it had Jan Hooks in it and Christopher Reeve too, and some of the myths were identified.

I remember the reindeer thing. In that part of the world, well anywhere where it snows, there are whiteouts and when deer are walking through a snowstorm and particularly in a whiteout, the reindeer appear to be flying. There is no sense of up down, no ground, or anything. They showed a reindeer walking during a whiteout and shazaam! that is EXACTLY how it looks.

That was the hypothesis of the show anyway. Seemed reasonable to me.

CrimsonFisted on November 29, 2007 at 10:10 PM

This reminds me of the episode of South Park where they have the talent show.

Specifically, the part where the Goths are going on and on about how stupid the whole thing is, before the lead Goth kid says “Yeah, we’re totally going to win”.

Couldn’t they at least pick something besides a tree?

I feel bad for you, AP. You and all atheists deserve better than these guys as the self-appointed spokesmen for what you believe.

Hawkins1701 on November 29, 2007 at 10:16 PM

This is all just another dirty, rotten, low-down atheist trick. They are trying to lure some half-wit into setting himself on fire in an attempt to burn down the atheist “knowlege tree.” Think I’m kidding? See last year’s HA link here.

CyberCipher on November 29, 2007 at 10:17 PM

Isn’t the whole point of a holiday to celebrate a holy day?

simon on November 29, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Nah, still doesn’t top Madalynn Murray O’Hare filing suit against NASA for the Apollo 8 astronauts reading from Genesis while orbiting the moon over Christmas…

Wind Rider on November 29, 2007 at 10:29 PM

Sweet.

Who will be the first atheist pope-like entity?

What will be the “Holy” city of Atheism?

Such Freethinkers, indeed.

For the first time a regional atheist group will display a holiday tree

bwahahahahahaha – eggnog out the nose…

reaganaut on November 29, 2007 at 10:29 PM

Do they know the word “holiday” comes from Holy Day?

Chuck on November 29, 2007 at 9:54 PM

Beat me to it.
Somebody reallllly needs to sit these anti-religious (thank you, redshirt) people down and explain a few things to them. Like…how many of their supposedly “original” ideas are either stolen right from, or, for lack of a better word, promulgated specifically to rebel against, Judaism and Christianity.

The latter-day modification of the religious phrase “holy day” is but one very small example.

inviolet on November 29, 2007 at 10:36 PM

You infidels should just call that tree the Mohammad tree

Wouldn’t I get 40 lashes for that?

CookeyD on November 29, 2007 at 11:00 PM

Wouldn’t I get 40 lashes for that?

CookeyD on November 29, 2007 at 11:00 PM

400 lashes.

So you like our plan?

Pretty tricky, huh?

- Mahmoud

MB4 on November 29, 2007 at 11:08 PM

There is a difference between anti-religion and atheism.

My sentiments exactly.

These people are nothing more than obnoxious shit disturbers. They’re no better than the evangelicals and proselytizers that they claim to abhor either.

Mike Honcho on November 29, 2007 at 11:14 PM

The tree thing is a mockery and an offense. Yeah, I’m just gonna type in here that I’M OFFENDED no matter how long it results in my comment being held in moderation.

I am really angry at hitchens for his stupid antics, at so-called atheists for “getting organized”, and btw, stealing fond glances at my newly lit CHRISTMAS TREE.

Friendly atheist,

RushBaby on November 29, 2007 at 11:28 PM

What will be the “Holy” city of Atheism?

reaganaut on November 29, 2007 at 10:29 PM

Vegas, of course! What a silly question…

redshirt on November 29, 2007 at 11:32 PM

You deserve not one, but an i-phone in each room.

Some of you are soooo funny. Rubbing eyes from laughing tears.

How come Mr. Hitchens’ yellow book cover is not listed? It would make good contrast with the other colors, and has an in-theme title.

MB4, may you never be too drunk to comment. However, I think you’re ‘high’ without drinking. I think you wake up like this.

RushBaby, I can imagine that tree. Thanks for being so tolerant.

One of my favorite Christmas scenes are the European Christmas markets, which mostly are located near the city halls (which pontificate political correctness all year long), and near very old and beautiful churches, and sometimes skating rings, like in Vienna.

When there is Glühwein to be had, and lots of good food, all promptly forget about PC, Mahmoud, atheism, and everything else, really, and just have a good time.

Entelechy on November 30, 2007 at 12:01 AM

Isn’t it comical that theists love to insult atheists by calling their lack of belief just another religion and can’t stand it when an anti-theist like Hitchens uses the trappings of religion?

Well, it’s comical to those of us who get it, anyway. They’re insulting themselves and they don’t even know it.

Jaynie59 on November 30, 2007 at 12:02 AM

The group’s display, “The Tree of Knowledge”.

Heh, where did they get that name?

Spirit of 1776 on November 29, 2007 at 9:12 PM

God needs a copyright infringement lawyer.

baldilocks on November 30, 2007 at 12:04 AM

Rushbaby:

I am really angry at hitchens for his stupid antics, …

Hold on a moment – I don’t see any hint that ol’ Hitch is responsible for this nonesense. Blame this one on The Freethought Society of Greater Philadelphia.

HeIsSailing on November 30, 2007 at 12:06 AM

What will be the “Holy” city of Atheism?
reaganaut on November 29, 2007 at 10:29 PM

Vegas, of course! What a silly question…
redshirt on November 29, 2007 at 11:32 PM

A better choice would probably be Ithaca, NY

HeIsSailing on November 30, 2007 at 12:09 AM

Friendly atheist,
RushBaby on November 29, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Just curious – are you really the Friendly Atheist?

HeIsSailing on November 30, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Do they know the word “holiday” comes from Holy Day?

Chuck on November 29, 2007 at 9:54 PM

Heh.

baldilocks on November 30, 2007 at 12:14 AM

Vegas, of course! What a silly question…

redshirt on November 29, 2007 at 11:32 PM

I’ve been in Vegas all week, and what do I hear? Constant Christmas music! Jesus, drummer boys, what if God was a slob, silent night, the whole works. And all the while, the jingle, jingle, of the slot machines, and even this early, “Merry Christmas” from the staff!

God bless all the little athiests and their new religion of “look at me I don’t need God to live or die!”

Sweet little things will make good embers for Satan’s footwarmer this season.

AZCON on November 30, 2007 at 12:25 AM

Just curious – are you really the Friendly Atheist?

HeIsSailing on November 30, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Well, RushBaby, you are a guy after all.

Entelechy on November 30, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Almost as insane as Christianity.

Nonfactor on November 30, 2007 at 12:53 AM

Oh, how reactionary. Just by naming the tree “The Tree of Knowledge”, alone, one can tell these people are taking a dig at the Adam and Eve fable, and what the Hell is an “atheist group” anyway? I’m a Libertarian/Objectivist. Others are to various degrees neo Marxist, classical liberals, Buddhist,or pagan. The only conceivable way atheists can get together to form an “atheist organization” is if they shut up about their own personal ideologies (an impossibility IMO), and spend 100% of the time dumping on theists lest the long denied truth emerge with the realization that one’s mortal enemies are right next to oneself dumping on theists, too. There is just no way you can be sure that your allies are your allies by defining yourself to them in the negative. The word “atheist” is defined in the negative. Objectivist, Libertarian, Marxist, Buddhist, classical Liberal are defined in the positive. You know where you stand in relation to them, and I could never ever, not in a million years, knowingly befriend a Marxist of ~any~ flavour. They have not even a toe-hold on the bottom rung of the Ladder of Liberty just like Nazis, Islamo filth, and the “Voluntary” Human Extinction Movement. I piss on them all.

FierceGuppy on November 30, 2007 at 1:01 AM

The Freethought society of San Francisco will adorn their trees with photos of hot kids under 16.

Connie on November 30, 2007 at 1:15 AM

True atheists just don’t care.

Syndic Nuruodo on November 30, 2007 at 1:42 AM

Athiests will be will be hanging (perceived desecrating) the Quran on a tree on the courthouse lawn? Yes! I’ve got my popcorn ready.

nottakingsides on November 30, 2007 at 1:51 AM

Atheism is well on its way to having all the problems of an organized religion with none of the benefits.

John on November 30, 2007 at 2:12 AM

Allah, why are you always posting these Atheist bashing posts?!! Are you trying to turn atheists agaisnt one another for your enjoyment!!??!

/off those that never read, never comment, but jump on you in the middle of a conversation

- The Cat

MirCat on November 30, 2007 at 2:19 AM

Why not just put up a Festivus Pole and be done with it, huh?

Although this is really, really stupid, you’ve got to figure it’s better than some douche like Michael Newdow trying to get Christmas and Hanukkah displays banned from public spaces. Let them have their silly tree. It exposes them as the attention-grabbing idiots that they are.

Myself, well, I’m something of an agnostic, so I’m comfortable wondering whether or not my group will ever have its own display.

Sean M. on November 30, 2007 at 5:53 AM

Atheists aren’t intellectuals, they just have bad memories. They became atheists as teenagers so they wouldn’t have to get up on Sunday morning for church.

peacenprosperity on November 30, 2007 at 7:43 AM

It seems to me that April 23 is the right day to celebrate with a Tree of Knowledge decorated with Book covers.

According to Wiki, April 23 is International Book and Copyright Day:

Philadelphia should allow the Tree of Knowledge to be displayed on April 23 (or maybe even the entire month of April)

kooly on November 30, 2007 at 8:29 AM

Chester County is wrong, these atheist shouldn’t be allowed to mock Christmas, that’s akin to disturbing the peace.

Maxx on November 30, 2007 at 9:15 AM

“The Jews — the Ellis Island/Lower East Side generation — were merely the latest contributors to the American Christmas. For their first two centuries on this continent, the Anglo-Celtic settlers attached no significance to Christmas: it was another working day, unless it fell on a Sunday, in which case one went to church.

It was later waves of immigrants — the Dutch, Germans and Scandinavians — who introduced most of the standard features we know today — trees, cards, Santa. Nothing embodies the American idea — e pluribus unum — better than the American Christmas.

This is genuine multiculturalism: If the worry is separation of church and state, the North American Christmas is surely the most successful separation you could devise — Jesus, Mary and Joseph are for home and church; the great secular trinity of Santa, Rudolph and Frosty are for school and mall”

- Mark Steyn

aengus on November 30, 2007 at 9:57 AM

You know, a big part of the problem with atheism isn’t what they believe (or don’t believe). It’s not even their ironic tendency to act like religious fundamentalists and try to force their views on others.

Nope. I think atheists biggest problem … is that they tend to act and sound like the most annoying uber-dorks in the universe.

If atheists just put some pretty lights on their tree and handed out free egg nog, they’d be a lot more popular.

I mean … book covers? Seriously? Who does that?

Dorks. They remind of the socially awkward kid in high school that always wanted to hang out with the adults because he couldn’t fit in with the kids.

I’m pretty sure if we could prevent these dorks from getting beaten up in eighth grade gym class – atheism would disappear in a single generation.

Professor Blather on November 30, 2007 at 10:23 AM

There is a difference between anti-religion and atheism.

redshirt on November 29, 2007 at 9:47 PM

Best. Post. Ever.

Professor Blather on November 30, 2007 at 10:27 AM

We’re all present-receiving whores at heart.

SouthernGent on November 29, 2007 at 10:08 PM

Second. Best. Post. Ever.

Professor Blather on November 30, 2007 at 10:29 AM

Gee, that’s a toughie – Where does Saint Nicholas fit in the Christian tradition?

corona on November 30, 2007 at 10:34 AM

HeIsSailing on November 30, 2007 at 12:06 AM

Just to clarify, I did not state that hitch is responsible for the tree. He got included in my list because his antics are just as embarrassing.

RushBaby on November 30, 2007 at 10:40 AM

John on November 30, 2007 at 2:12 AM

Just like feminists already have all the problems of men with none of the benefits of women.

BKennedy on November 30, 2007 at 10:43 AM

Just curious – are you really the Friendly Atheist?

HeIsSailing on November 30, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Heavens no. Not interested enough to comment about it very much here at HA much less blog about it.

RushBaby on November 30, 2007 at 10:43 AM

Well, RushBaby, you are a guy after all.

Entelechy on November 30, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Can you prove that? Or is that just a matter of faith? Inquiring minds want to know!

RushBaby on November 30, 2007 at 10:45 AM

Atheists have a holiday that they celebrate every year; in fact it comes every year on exactly the same date—April 1st! Since our calendar sets April 1st as ‘April Fools Day,’ consider that Psalm 14:1 states, ‘The fool says in his heart, there is no God.’ Thus, the atheists says there is no God, then by scripture, he is a fool, and April 1st is his holiday!
See? Nothing to complain about.

right2bright on November 30, 2007 at 10:51 AM

To me, this only proves that if people will not worship God, they will set something else up to worship, whether it’s material stuff, knowledge, whatever. I find this eternally interesting that Mr. Hitchens seems to feel a need to celebrate something.

I have no problem with Mr. Hitchens except his fervor to stamp everyone else’s right to believe differently out. More power to him if he can sustain his atheism.

It seems to me that if Mr. Hitchens truly wanted more people to believe or not as he does, he would endeavor to be more engaging and delightful like Terry Pratchett.

Mommynator on November 30, 2007 at 12:38 PM

peacenprosperity on November 30, 2007 at 7:43 AM

Genius – I thought this would never get exposed.

Best. Post. Ever.

Professor Blather on November 30, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Yes, and definitely this one

- Mark Steyn

aengus on November 30, 2007 at 9:57 AM

RushBaby on November 30, 2007 at 10:45 AM

Well, no, especially based on this

RushBaby on November 30, 2007 at 10:43 AM

I will continue to respect you, and enjoy your comments, regardless. Best always,

Entelechy on November 30, 2007 at 1:03 PM

Exactly what holiday is their tree commemorating?

Tommy_G on December 2, 2008 at 9:47 PM